Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Sony didn't pay to block Cult of the Lamb from Xbox Game Pass

• CanezzaCanezza220,180
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 11:59
    There's a rumour currently doing the rounds in a lot of Xbox circles that suggests Sony paid to keep the indie hit Cult of the Lamb from joining Xbox Game Pass. Publisher Devolver Digital has now stepped in to debunk the rumour.

Please click here to read the full story: Sony didn't pay to block Cult of the Lamb from Xbox Game Pass
  • Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:04
    These companies are so petty

Just make good games and stfu
    Main GT: DutchxMonster
  • MightyVap3rMightyVap3r1,387,067
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:05, Edited on 19 August 22 at 12:06 by MightyVap3r
    Now i want to play this game, but wtf is Sony run by kids or what, it sounds to weird to be fake..lol
    Eddy ate dynamite, good bye eddy
  • KJer25KJer25947,120
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:16
    Devolver is coming out and telling you it’s not real, yet people still don’t believe it. I have a feeling it’s happened before but not for CotL.
    Separation from base 1000 and DLC lists would be great. I’d love to see them bring back avatar awards, and make some sort of level up process.
  • Thief000Thief0001,080,939
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:18, Edited on 19 August 22 at 12:25 by Thief000
    Developers should just speak up if this is truly happening in large numbers. Just stand together and tell Sony to get bent with their anti-competitive agreements. Grow a pair!
  • uhKillswitchuhKillswitch937,049
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:23, Edited on 19 August 22 at 12:23 by uhKillswitch
    The Title states that the rumour was untrue. The introduction states it was untrue and Devolver as publisher are quoted in the article stating that it was a false rumour.
    Yet 3 out of the first 4 comments bash Sony for doing something that they obviously didn't do in this case.
    Am I missing something or are those comments hard to understand?
  • Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:53
    Some people will never like Sony and vice versa.

Same with Apple/Google, Left/Right ect ect...

Anywho this game looks good think i might purchase it
    "Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer." Javik, Mass Effect 3
  • thebritt2001thebritt2001639,689
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 12:53
    I wonder why, though? Why did this rumour even start, who started it? They said it is untrue that they were paid, but were they approached? Or is it just a game that "looks like it should have been on game pass"? Or maybe it's the first major success since the revelations about Sony were revealed and Devolver were just swept up in it by those looking for "guilty" developers?
  • TitianDanTitianDan1,094,188
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 13:07
    uhKillswitch said:
    The Title states that the rumour was untrue. The introduction states it was untrue and Devolver as publisher are quoted in the article stating that it was a false rumour.
    Yet 3 out of the first 4 comments bash Sony for doing something that they obviously didn't do in this case.
    Some people arent happy unless theyre moaning
    D Jones
  • KnoellKnoell456,319
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 13:07, Edited on 19 August 22 at 13:11 by Knoell
    uhKillswitch said:
    Microsoft accused Sony of it in legal filings which it states in the article. Just because this isnt true does not mean they aren't guilty of it. The commentors may be commenting on that aspect of Sony's behavior.

Sony has long been guilty of gatekeeping games off of Xbox with paid exclusives.

There were articles from 2020 that stated they spent tons of money (much larger offers than competitors) to keep games off of other platforms (specifically xbox).

https://www.svg.com/337447/playstation-is-shelling-out-cash-...

Its not a huge leap for them to do this for game pass.
  • Lily Mu RBLily Mu RB859,028
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 13:16
    D E B O O N K E D
  • Posted on 19 August 22 at 13:37
    The fallout of Microsoft’s acquisition? I can’t find this at all in the news…
    Happy gaming.
  • C PavC Pav563,042
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:02, Edited on 19 August 22 at 14:02 by C Pav
    I like games, Period. Some should try that instead of hating other systems or games. Not your preference then just move along and enjoy what you want. I will say though Sony fans seem to show the most hatred towards other systems, especially XBox.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm614,975
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:06
    Like other Devolver Digital games, I expect this will migrate to GamePass at some point.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76742,989
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:08
    Thief000 said:
    Developers should just speak up if this is truly happening in large numbers. Just stand together and tell Sony to get bent with their anti-competitive agreements. Grow a pair!
    Not that simple, considering it would end up costing them thousands, if not millions of dollars to tell Sony to get bent.
  • Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:14
    Maybe I'm a boomer but there is this thing called buying the game and as a bonus the dev is actually a really great dev so far.
  • Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:16
    I hate console wars, and I'm just parroting whay Sony fanboys say, but if Xbox has no games to play, why would Sony try this?

And don't they (AS WELL AS XBOX) pay for exclusivity to some extent anyway? Pretty much all JRPGs are Sony, luckily that's changing now and Xbox heys some RPG love.
    Facebook - ihazbeard
  • HUN playmoreHUN playmore1,716,874
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:25, Edited on 19 August 22 at 14:26 by HUN playmore
    Was this actually a rumor because I've never heard about it. So far it sounds like the MS will buy SEGA, or Sony buys Square-Enix "rumors" someone made up for clicks.
  • FejerFejer1,354,241
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:44
    KJer25 said:
    Devolver is coming out and telling you it’s not real, yet people still don’t believe it. I have a feeling it’s happened before but not for CotL.
    Indeed, last year via the leaked files from Capcom we learned that Sony paid them to keep Resident Evil 8 Village off GamePass, though in that case PlayStation had a marketing deal for the game:
    https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-village-xbox-game-pass-so...

In case of Cult of the Lamb the rumor was not true even though for many it sounded very believable.
  • KrazieKrazie3,028,006
    Posted on 19 August 22 at 14:50
    thebritt2001 said:
    I wonder why, though? Why did this rumour even start, who started it? They said it is untrue that they were paid, but were they approached? Or is it just a game that "looks like it should have been on game pass"? Or maybe it's the first major success since the revelations about Sony were revealed and Devolver were just swept up in it by those looking for "guilty" developers?
    Gary Whitta from Kinda Funny said on a podcast that he thought he heard someone tell him that, and then it spread like wildfire.

So it's just a failed game of telephone stemming from someone that isn't even a journalist.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.