Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Overwatch 2 DDoS attack and server issues see 40,000 player-long queues

• Capn BeavCapn Beav842,392
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 12:41
    Guitar LInc0ln said:
    Happens
    Especially with Blizzard.
  • ShadowRaven9ShadowRaven9406,833
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 12:45
    imaidiot19 said:
    None of my stuff transferred over...yay, it is like I have a new profile, apparently.
    Account migration takes a bit, and with the ddos, I'm sure it will be fine. My Xbox and PC account have to merge so it looks that same for me but it tells me that certain functions are disabled until it's complete.
  • ShadowRaven9ShadowRaven9406,833
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 12:47, Edited on 05 October 22 at 12:54 by ShadowRaven9
    I'm underwhelmed by the release though. Just to throw that out in the universe.

The matches I did play were the same as OW 1 with a slightly recolored HUD and slightly different music queues. My wife got access to all of the new heroes whereas I didn't? And I owned the digital copy as primary? Was kinda weird.

Same maps and the same overall feel of combat. I likely won't be stopping any current games just to play this. I also won't be sinking time into a battle pass for the fomo feelings, I know that's a trap.

They made a huge mistake calling this the release and putting off the single player experience. Blizzard has experience transitioning games too, they could have made this just like WoW. Where it's an annouced prepatch and a final release date for the new game. But wait, Overwatch 2 isn't just an expansion pack!... Yes it is.

I'm genuinely happy for people who enjoy it though. I enjoyed OW1 for dozens of hours a day but when most of the heroes have the same mechanics, it just feels like a lot of the same 6 years later.

Hope everyone has a better experience than I!
  • Posted on 05 October 22 at 12:49
    All my characters, skins and progress carried over (not that I’ve done much) but the watchpoint pack is completely broken / missing. It’s listed in the known bugs by them.
  • JohnnyRiverJohnnyRiver1,606,757
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 13:34
    Got a whooping 4 minutes of gameplay in the last 18 hours.

Huge fan of original OW; spent almost 5k hours in it.
    OW2 seems great, outside of the 17 hours and 56 minutes wasted on queues and unexpected errors.
    Updated visuals and lighting system are especially worth praising; new characters are incredible from all perspectives.

10 out of 10, from what I’ve seen so far.
  • DJBSE72DJBSE721,575,730
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 14:11
    I’m wondering how such a company do not have effective counter measures for DDos.
  • Maxumilli0nMaxumilli0n1,911,380
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 14:13
    Overwatch 1.5* I fixed it for you.
  • VGM 007VGM 007797,684
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 14:17
    IF you can get into the game, there is a fun glitch that if you earn an achievement, you get booted from the game, as it logs you out briefly to verify your profile or something odd. I got in early this morning & had quite a few rounds, popped a Kiriko achievement & bam I'm out. Haven't got back in since then.
  • VinnyMLVinnyML251,504
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 14:47
    Wait... why though? Like is this in retaliation for something? Or just a "some men just wanna watch the world burn" thing?
    VinnyML (Xbox) and VinnyMLps (Sega Saturn). Fee free to add me if we play similar games.
  • SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,645,191
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 14:58
    JohnnyRiver said:
    Got a whooping 4 minutes of gameplay in the last 18 hours.

Huge fan of original OW; spent almost 5k hours in it.
    OW2 seems great, outside of the 17 hours and 56 minutes wasted on queues and unexpected errors.
    Updated visuals and lighting system are especially worth praising; new characters are incredible from all perspectives.

10 out of 10, from what I’ve seen so far.
    Not much less than me: I got a total of 3 matches yesterday.

I'm not immediately liking the new graphics & lighting. But maybe I'll readjust wave
  • LancerideLanceride554,772
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 15:32
    It's so weird to update a game, keeping the base game in place in many respects, and call it a sequel. But I guess that is off topic. Blizz should have been prepared to handle DDoS attacks on launch. That's pretty much when you'd most expect them.
    Blah blah blah forum signature
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm614,222
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 18:20
    BulbAssured said:
    Blizzard president Mike Ybarra and game director Aaron Keller have confirmed that the Overwatch 2 servers are experiencing DDoS attacks, and that the team is working hard to sort the issue.
    To this end, Keller and Ybarra are personally calling each of the 40,000 players in each queue using the phone numbers from the gamers' battle.net accounts. laugh
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong498,561
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 19:34
    VinnyML said:
    Wait... why though? Like is this in retaliation for something? Or just a "some men just wanna watch the world burn" thing?
    I read a headline that people were mad a hero was locked behind the battle pass purchase (like the whole hero, not just a cool skin). I don’t know if that led to the DDoS, it could just be because it’s Blizzard and they’ve treated their employees like crap and it’s “fun” for people to throw virtual eggs at them on their big day.
  • Posted on 05 October 22 at 21:45
    Can't such people make their angry points at companies in ways that don't ruin it for everyone else who still want to play?
    Notice: Thank you for noticing this notice. I have noticed your noticing and shall notify those of note.
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 22:27
    FruitofPassion said:
    Can't such people make their angry points at companies in ways that don't ruin it for everyone else who still want to play?
    I mean it could simply be extortion. But provided it is some kind of statement, what good is a protest literally no one notices?
  • Posted on 05 October 22 at 22:44
    TymanTheLong said:
    FruitofPassion said:
    I mean it could simply be extortion. But provided it is some kind of statement, what good is a protest literally no one notices?
    Well if it's a protest, it made me feel more so against protests than against Blizzard.
    Notice: Thank you for noticing this notice. I have noticed your noticing and shall notify those of note.
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 23:10
    FruitofPassion said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    FruitofPassion said:
    Well if it's a protest, it made me feel more so against protests than against Blizzard.
    That’s also not uncommon nor unexpected. People have expressed frustration with protests up to murdering protesters with cars for decades.
  • MR MITT3NSMR MITT3NS622,395
    Posted on 05 October 22 at 23:35
    I’ve never understood why people don’t expect issues on day one of a big game…it always has probs
    Posted on 06 October 22 at 01:22
    MR MITT3NS said:
    I’ve never understood why people don’t expect issues on day one of a big game…it always has probs
    Which is wild to me, on demand cloud scaling has been pretty stable and cheap since around 2012. This shouldn’t be an issue anymore for a AAA game.
  • MR MITT3NSMR MITT3NS622,395
    Posted on 06 October 22 at 02:07
    TymanTheLong said:
    MR MITT3NS said:
    Which is wild to me, on demand cloud scaling has been pretty stable and cheap since around 2012. This shouldn’t be an issue anymore for a AAA game.
    Exactly! But its more like the DDOS attacks that it seems like they can't stop...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.