Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Xbox Game Pass: The easiest and fastest completions (December 2022)

• SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,664,402
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 09:11
    Glad to see Scorn make the updated list.

Must be played--screenshots or videos do not do justice.
  • Posted on 13 November 22 at 13:00
    Gang Beats really is aggravating so I'd approach with caution. It is touched on in the article, but it feels completely random whether you'll get the achievement the first time, the 20th time, or not at all.
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483321,308
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 14:06
    TymanTheLong said:
    Scorn is so bad I would have given it 0 stars if it was an option.

Look at some screenshots of the environment and you’ve now experienced everything worthwhile it has to offer. The rest bad to “this might be the worst game I’ve played in 5 years”. The story barely exists and is pointless and thus so is the body horror. The shooting, all the bad things said about it aren’t even close to HOW BAD the shooting is.

Scorn should be a textbook example for many years to come of how to take a maybe passable, if forgetable, walking simulator and absolutely ruin it.
    Clearly it's not for you but a lot of people enjoyed it for what it is - a creepy puzzle game. If you're complaining about the shooting you're playing the game wrong. You're not meant to get into frequent combat with the creatures, the weapons are a last resort in most situations. If you back up almost all the creatures will leave you alone (and leave the area).
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,818,351
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 15:13
    Xeroxcoco said:
    The Cherished said:
    Xeroxcoco said:
    Maybe its only me, but, the estimated time suggested above, are only if you follow a guide instead of actually play the game.
    Never in the world you can finish Telling Lies in under 2 hours unless if you rush like hell and skip every video .
    So what's the point?? Only make your gamerscore bigger??
    Yes, not everyone is a fan of Sam Barlow's writing. Especially in this particular title.
    No One force you to play It, if you dont like what the game has to offer.
    Hence why I skipped all the dialogue once I realised I didn't like the writing and the plot.
  • XeroxcocoXeroxcoco421,914
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 17:08
    The Cherished said:
    Xeroxcoco said:
    The Cherished said:
    Xeroxcoco said:
    Maybe its only me, but, the estimated time suggested above, are only if you follow a guide instead of actually play the game.
    Never in the world you can finish Telling Lies in under 2 hours unless if you rush like hell and skip every video .
    Yes, not everyone is a fan of Sam Barlow's writing. Especially in this particular title.
    Hence why I skipped all the dialogue once I realised I didn't like the writing and the plot.
    You didnt know before starting It was a Sam Barlow's game? 😂😂 You are funny
  • GrimkhanaGrimkhana243,585
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 17:20
    vSully said:
    Circa Infinity is 80% off and has zero completions.
    Slain: Back from Hell is 85% off and is a tough completion.
    Raging Justice is 80% off and only has 13 completions.
    RAD is 75% off and only has 8 completions.
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker is 70% off and only has 3 completions.
    Dude, appreciate this post! I didn’t even realise that Slain was on sale! RAD I’m very interested in, too.

+1 from me though in regards to more articles highlighting tougher completions - whether on sale or just in general! I find myself leaning more and more towards harder games these days. I have absolutely nothing against easy Gamerscore (plenty of games I still want to play fall here), I’m just personally really enjoying the sense of accomplishment when overcoming pretty challenging lists so a spotlight on games of this nature would be greatly appreciated by me!
  • PangoBaraPangoBara2,288,037
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 17:26
    Boots Orion said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Boots Orion said:
    I don't mind wasting 3-5 hours for GS on a quick game I'm otherwise uninterested in, but 6-8 doesn't seem quick anymore.

Personally, I think TA needs to change its definition of "quick" to be more in line with the community. 8 hours stopped being quick about 5 years ago.
    I consider anything under 10 hours to be quick.
    I was referring to games I'd be playing ONLY for achievements. If it's a good game, that happens to be rather short, that's different. 20-25 hours can be considered short-ish for an amazing game that I want to experience for reasons other than quick GS.
    I've learned that the sweet spot for AAA games that I love the most (that aren't super damn long) is 15-20 or 20-25.

For indies, it's all over the spectrum. There are some fucking amazing games that are like 2 hours max even after getting all achievements with no guide, yet a bunch of good games show up at all time ranges.

My point is I absolutely agree with you. 20-25 hours can fly on great games though I feel like it depends on the style of game for whether or not it feels short to me.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion913,786
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 18:25
    vSully said:
    Would it kill you guys to take these articles in the opposite direction every once in a while? You know, highlight harder games for a change- perhaps those that have zero completions and actually challenge site users to accomplish something worthwhile?

This is a great idea. I'm getting a little tired on the site's shift to focusing more on how to get GS the quickest. That was never what TA was about before. It was about the quality rather than the quantity.

The closest this there is to what I would like to see is the weekly "TA Staff picks" articles. I enjoy those detailed recommendations and I've purchased a few games that I was previously uninterested in or even aware of, before I read the article. But the problem with those articles, is that only 4-5 games are highlighted as opposed the 50-100 quick games that are highlighted in the weekly sales articles.

As for your idea, it would be a simple thing to do. Just as easy as the "Quick Completions" articles.

I really don't care if certain people only want to play quick and easy games - that's up to them - but there should be more of an effort by TA and its staff to provide some information to its user-base that enjoy harder games. We shouldn't have to find it ourselves.

PangoBara said:
    Boots Orion said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Boots Orion said:
    I don't mind wasting 3-5 hours for GS on a quick game I'm otherwise uninterested in, but 6-8 doesn't seem quick anymore.

Personally, I think TA needs to change its definition of "quick" to be more in line with the community. 8 hours stopped being quick about 5 years ago.
    I was referring to games I'd be playing ONLY for achievements. If it's a good game, that happens to be rather short, that's different. 20-25 hours can be considered short-ish for an amazing game that I want to experience for reasons other than quick GS.
    I've learned that the sweet spot for AAA games that I love the most (that aren't super damn long) is 15-20 or 20-25.

For indies, it's all over the spectrum. There are some fucking amazing games that are like 2 hours max even after getting all achievements with no guide, yet a bunch of good games show up at all time ranges.

My point is I absolutely agree with you. 20-25 hours can fly on great games though I feel like it depends on the style of game for whether or not it feels short to me.
    For sure - and thanks for understanding my point. I enjoy all sorts of games, and I've played enough to know that time can pass quite differently depending on the game in question. 20-25 hours over the course of a 4-7 days can definitely fly by if it is a great game, whereas I've played some 2-3 hour games that I couldn't wait to be finished with.

Your 20-25 hour estimate for a AAA sounds about right...especially for platformers and shooter games. Any more than that and most of them have worn out their welcome. For me anyway. I know some people love playing games until they absolutely perfect them - and that would require much more than 20-25 hours - but that's not how I play games for the most part.

Open-world, RPG, Sim and Strategy/Managements, and some Metroidvanias, games take much longer than 20-25 hours, and that's fine too as the attraction to those types of games is different than platformers and shooters (usually). You play those games knowing they are time sinks and you'd be pissed off if you had done EVERYTHING you can in less than 50 hours.
    This comment has been approved by Boots Orion.
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 18:50
    Boots Orion said:
    vSully said:
    Would it kill you guys to take these articles in the opposite direction every once in a while? You know, highlight harder games for a change- perhaps those that have zero completions and actually challenge site users to accomplish something worthwhile?

This is a great idea. I'm getting a little tired on the site's shift to focusing more on how to get GS the quickest. That was never what TA was about before. It was about the quality rather than the quantity.

The closest this there is to what I would like to see is the weekly "TA Staff picks" articles. I enjoy those detailed recommendations and I've purchased a few games that I was previously uninterested in or even aware of, before I read the article. But the problem with those articles, is that only 4-5 games are highlighted as opposed the 50-100 quick games that are highlighted in the weekly sales articles.

As for your idea, it would be a simple thing to do. Just as easy as the "Quick Completions" articles.

I really don't care if certain people only want to play quick and easy games - that's up to them - but there should be more of an effort by TA and its staff to provide some information to its user-base that enjoy harder games. We shouldn't have to find it ourselves.

PangoBara said:
    Boots Orion said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Boots Orion said:

For sure - and thanks for understanding my point. I enjoy all sorts of games, and I've played enough to know that time can pass quite differently depending on the game in question. 20-25 hours over the course of a 4-7 days can definitely fly by if it is a great game, whereas I've played some 2-3 hour games that I couldn't wait to be finished with.

Your 20-25 hour estimate for a AAA sounds about right...especially for platformers and shooter games. Any more than that and most of them have worn out their welcome. For me anyway. I know some people love playing games until they absolutely perfect them - and that would require much more than 20-25 hours - but that's not how I play games for the most part.

Open-world, RPG, Sim and Strategy/Managements, and some Metroidvanias, games take much longer than 20-25 hours, and that's fine too as the attraction to those types of games is different than platformers and shooters (usually). You play those games knowing they are time sinks and you'd be pissed off if you had done EVERYTHING you can in less than 50 hours.
    Yep. I would say that that sweet spot is still kind of good for (many) open world games too.

Open world games in the style of like Far Cry or Saints Row are perfect in that time frame if not a little shorter.

Stuff like Skyrim or Red Dead can definitely squeeze a lot more playtime out tho.

That may just stem from me not really liking open world games anymore more than reality tho
    Posted on 13 November 22 at 18:52, Edited on 13 November 22 at 18:55 by PangoBara
    Xeroxcoco said:
    The Cherished said:
    Xeroxcoco said:
    The Cherished said:
    Xeroxcoco said:
    You didnt know before starting It was a Sam Barlow's game? 😂😂 You are funny
    I don't even know how Sam Barlow is lmao
    I personally just stumbled into a game pass game and didn't care for it.

Edit: Only other game he's done that I've played looks to be #WarGames. RIP all those Discontinued achievements I'll never be able to unlock lol
  • Posted on 15 November 22 at 00:39
    Scorn shouldn't be played just for achievements. I've yet to finish it, but I already know it's the type of game that's most rewarding when you just piece it all together yourself. If you're playing games just for an arbitrary number of fake points, you need to ask yourself why you're playing video games in the first place.
  • Belindo152Belindo152347,530
  • Rista BRista B791,303
    Posted on 16 November 22 at 02:22
    Haven't played all of these but have played quite a few and a lot of them were worth a play and probably wouldn't have tried them if they weren't on GP. Contrast, Genesis Noir, Artful Escape, Hellblade, Space Warlord were all time well spent, although on Space Warlord I got hung up for longer than expected due to the random nature of some of the spawns.
    "There's never been anything, however absurd, that myriads of people weren't prepared to believe"
  • ALoneWolf42ALoneWolf42383,314
    Posted on 07 December 22 at 18:14, Edited on 07 December 22 at 18:23 by ALoneWolf42
    I must be really bad at Gang Beasts, because I'm 3+ hours in and haven't even done the hard ones yet. I didn't know about Hello Neighbour 2 speedrun though, that's pretty cool!
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong499,365
    Posted on 07 December 22 at 22:30
    Belindo152 said:
    Just a heads up that the walkthrough for DC League of Super-Pets: The Adventures of Krypto and Ace has been published yesterday.
    The gameplay on the initial level was so awful I just uninstalled it. I was hoping for something a lot more polished than this game looked at first glance. Be warned if you start this (though you can fly through the initial level quite a bit and not pop an achievement if you want to try, or at least I did not).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.