Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Xbox games like Pokémon that are super effective

• Posted yesterday at 13:25
    As Pokémon Scarlet and Violet arrive on Switch, chances are some of you are peering over the fence with eyes greener than a Metapod. But don't sweat it — we have some awesome monster-raising games on Xbox, too!

Please click here to read the full story: Xbox games like Pokémon that are super effective
  • lethelerrorlethelerror687,148
    Posted yesterday at 13:35, Edited yesterday at 13:35 by lethelerror
    I enjoyed monster sanctuary.

The problem with games trying to be or likened to Pokemon is they are not Pokemon, something that cant be fixed
  • Shishou LingShishou Ling391,168
    Posted yesterday at 13:57
    lethelerror said:
    The problem with games trying to be or likened to Pokemon is they are not Pokemon, something that cant be fixed
    This person hit the nail on its head here.
  • H3R0 F0R H1R3H3R0 F0R H1R31,192,879
    Posted yesterday at 14:59
    Thoroughly enjoyed Ooblets.
  • SuperPed13SuperPed13726,149
    Posted yesterday at 15:56
    Anything to drop a persona mention in. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • An AlphyAn Alphy335,932
    Posted yesterday at 16:21
    i have both nexomons but yet to play them. i should stop picking up so many rpgs laugh
  • Techno ToxinTechno Toxin610,411
    Posted yesterday at 18:26
    Nexomon Extinction is a game I highly recommend! The graphics and music are absolutely amazing. Beautiful colors and unique monsters. Plus the recent update adds of nexomon making for an overall amazing experience.
  • Posted yesterday at 18:39
    As a big FF fan I hugely support World of Final Fantasy. It is the Pokemon game I always wanted because it has an epic story that isn't hindered by capturing monsters.
  • Posted yesterday at 19:02
    The article name is super effective!
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong475,960
    Posted yesterday at 19:06, Edited yesterday at 19:08 by TymanTheLong
    lethelerror said:

In a way I don’t want them to be. There are elements of Pokémon that are kind of timeless, but a lot of it is crufty and I don’t want a 67th version of the same game but a bigger Dex.

It’s like playing MTG (the card game) post about 2010, land cards were a neat solution in the 90s but they also aren’t fun and cause problems, there’s better systems in newer games.

A game that evokes the same good feelings of Pokémon without trying to be it is probably the sweet spot.

EDIT: I hear they’ve removed a lot of the grindy awfulness in creating a competitive team, that’s good news. But I only ever did that to spend time with my kid, I don’t want to touch that world again. More power to the people who’re lifelong fans and can stick with that.
  • Danny BizzDanny Bizz644,996
    Posted yesterday at 19:54
    Temtem is awesome - I started playing after TA's prior article and have had a blast. Highly recommend!
  • Pierpy988Pierpy988240,842
    Posted yesterday at 19:55
    I second Monster Sanctuary. I had a lot of fun with it. It's very different from Pokémon though, it retains the critter raising genre but mixes it with exploration from the metroidvania genre. It's also more difficult and tactical than your average "catch any pokemon and steam roll your competition with both your eyes closed" pokemon game.

My brother recommended me Nexomon Extinction, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

If you want a game more faithful to the Pokémon formula, I also recommend Coromon. I saw my friend play it, and it's basically Pokémon with a different coat of paint on it. It's not on xbox but you can play it on your potato laptop as well.
  • HappyTheDevilHappyTheDevil1,476,314
    Posted yesterday at 21:18
    I swear we have had this exact same article a few weeks ago? shock

Anyway, Nexomon is way better than Pokemon!
    (Old) Arch Enemy • Blackbriar • Evanescence • Illumishade • Jinjer • Korpiklaani • Sabaton • Slaughter to Prevail • Wintersun
  • Posted yesterday at 22:06
    HappyTheDevil said:
    I swear we have had this exact same article a few weeks ago? shock

Anyway, Nexomon is way better than Pokemon!
    It was originally published in January when Legends Arceus came out, refreshed over the summer when Temtem and Ooblets both got 1.0 release dates, then proper updated today for the new games’ release, adding in stuff like Ni No Kuni and Persona now they’re on Xbox as well. So you’re not going crazy, but it was a little while longer since it last hit the feed!

As for Nex>Poke, there’s an argument to be made from a purely solo player perspective, but as someone who plays mainly for competitive, it’s missing that endgame for me, and Nexomon isn’t really even built for it. Temtem being built around comp is more my speed, but that’s why I tried to provide a decent spread of options here… people all want different things out of games like these, after all.
  • HappyTheDevilHappyTheDevil1,476,314
    Posted yesterday at 22:16
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    It was originally published in January when Legends Arceus came out, refreshed over the summer when Temtem and Ooblets both got 1.0 release dates, then proper updated today for the new games’ release, adding in stuff like Ni No Kuni and Persona now they’re on Xbox as well. So you’re not going crazy, but it was a little while longer since it last hit the feed!

As for Nex>Poke, there’s an argument to be made from a purely solo player perspective, but as someone who plays mainly for competitive, it’s missing that endgame for me, and Nexomon isn’t really even built for it. Temtem being built around comp is more my speed, but that’s why I tried to provide a decent spread of options here… people all want different things out of games like these, after all.
    Ah, ok. I understand now.

I was coming from a purely solo player perspective, as I never play anything online/competitive these days.
    (Old) Arch Enemy • Blackbriar • Evanescence • Illumishade • Jinjer • Korpiklaani • Sabaton • Slaughter to Prevail • Wintersun
  • Posted yesterday at 22:28
    TymanTheLong said:
    lethelerror said:

In a way I don’t want them to be. There are elements of Pokémon that are kind of timeless, but a lot of it is crufty and I don’t want a 67th version of the same game but a bigger Dex.

It’s like playing MTG (the card game) post about 2010, land cards were a neat solution in the 90s but they also aren’t fun and cause problems, there’s better systems in newer games.

A game that evokes the same good feelings of Pokémon without trying to be it is probably the sweet spot.

EDIT: I hear they’ve removed a lot of the grindy awfulness in creating a competitive team, that’s good news. But I only ever did that to spend time with my kid, I don’t want to touch that world again. More power to the people who’re lifelong fans and can stick with that.
    Yeah, a big issue with mainline Pokémon games is that they’re so successful that Game Freak has been reluctant to enact meaningful change to the format and outside of extra mons and a new battle gimmick each gen, it gets pretty stale. Loved Ooblets and how it subverted the ‘battle’ aspect, and Temtem fully committing to 2v2 and even using competitive rule sets in solo endgame was awesome to me - it was able to fully leverage the fact that it wasn’t part of a franchise primarily aimed at kids and double down on something that a lot of older players actually play Pokemon for.

As for your edit, correct, it has never been easier to make a comp team in Pokémon. Can’t speak for the new games yet as only just started, but in Sword/Shield, you could manipulate IVs, EVs, Nature, Ability… basically everything with the exception of egg moves. The game could give you a mon with the worst stats, moves, Ability, and Nature and you could STILL make it competitively viable with a bit of investment, plus breeding is easier than ever to help get a head start.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk1,139,016
    Posted yesterday at 22:33
    Hasnt TA already done an article like this before, feels like a massive case of Deja Vu
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong475,960
    Posted yesterday at 22:36
    Chris1984uk said:
    Hasnt TA already done an article like this before, feels like a massive case of Deja Vu
    It did, but it was at least a year ago and had a mostly different list of games at the time.
  • PetrifiedPetrified1,503,041
    Posted today at 05:17
    Nexomon>Pokemon.
    I would do dirty things for full remasters of Vice City and San Andreas
  • Posted today at 06:30
    You missed a big one that came out a while ago: Digimon Survive.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.