Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Xbox games like Pokémon that are super effective

• Pierpy988Pierpy988241,488
    Posted on 19 November 22 at 07:51
    ElDiabloLoco90 said:
    You missed a big one that came out a while ago: Digimon Survive.
    Digimon survive is a visual novel and has nothing to do with Pokémon, except for the existence of monsters. It plays fundamentally different both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint.
    Digimon Cyber Sleuth would be a better advice to those who seek a Pokémon-like experience, but it's never been released on xbox.
  • Posted on 19 November 22 at 15:01
    Pierpy988 said:
    ElDiabloLoco90 said:
    You missed a big one that came out a while ago: Digimon Survive.
    Digimon survive is a visual novel and has nothing to do with Pokémon, except for the existence of monsters. It plays fundamentally different both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint.
    Digimon Cyber Sleuth would be a better advice to those who seek a Pokémon-like experience, but it's never been released on xbox.
    Okay, but you still collect monsters. That seems the be the requirement the author uses for the list since some of those aren't exactly like Pokemon, either.
  • Posted on 20 November 22 at 09:12
    temtem and Nexomon are the closest thing to pokemon
  • Posted on 20 November 22 at 15:34
    Really wouldn’t have included p5r or ni no kuni in this as imo they are a completely different type of game and really don’t have the same feel despite both having the monster collection aspect
    They’re both great games and I’d definitely recommend both of them but not to someone looking for something similar to Pokemon!
  • Posted on 20 November 22 at 21:50, Edited on 20 November 22 at 23:56 by BadRubberPiggy
    Lost in Limbo said:
    Really wouldn’t have included p5r or ni no kuni in this as imo they are a completely different type of game and really don’t have the same feel despite both having the monster collection aspect
    They’re both great games and I’d definitely recommend both of them but not to someone looking for something similar to Pokemon!
    It’s not just supposed to be a list of games that play exactly like Pokémon, though. Type matchups are vital in P5R as they are what get you the 1-Mores, All-Outs, and negotiations. Scarlet/Violet have a similar school life dynamic as well.

It’s been a hot minute since I played NNK but the Team Star bases in the new Pokémon game play very similarly to combat in that, from what I can remember.
  • ShadowRaven9ShadowRaven9383,033
    Posted on 21 November 22 at 05:41
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    lethelerror said:
    I enjoyed monster sanctuary.

The problem with games trying to be or likened to Pokemon is they are not Pokemon, something that cant be fixed
    In a way I don’t want them to be. There are elements of Pokémon that are kind of timeless, but a lot of it is crufty and I don’t want a 67th version of the same game but a bigger Dex.

It’s like playing MTG (the card game) post about 2010, land cards were a neat solution in the 90s but they also aren’t fun and cause problems, there’s better systems in newer games.

A game that evokes the same good feelings of Pokémon without trying to be it is probably the sweet spot.

EDIT: I hear they’ve removed a lot of the grindy awfulness in creating a competitive team, that’s good news. But I only ever did that to spend time with my kid, I don’t want to touch that world again. More power to the people who’re lifelong fans and can stick with that.
    Yeah, a big issue with mainline Pokémon games is that they’re so successful that Game Freak has been reluctant to enact meaningful change to the format and outside of extra mons and a new battle gimmick each gen, it gets pretty stale. Loved Ooblets and how it subverted the ‘battle’ aspect, and Temtem fully committing to 2v2 and even using competitive rule sets in solo endgame was awesome to me - it was able to fully leverage the fact that it wasn’t part of a franchise primarily aimed at kids and double down on something that a lot of older players actually play Pokemon for.

As for your edit, correct, it has never been easier to make a comp team in Pokémon. Can’t speak for the new games yet as only just started, but in Sword/Shield, you could manipulate IVs, EVs, Nature, Ability… basically everything with the exception of egg moves. The game could give you a mon with the worst stats, moves, Ability, and Nature and you could STILL make it competitively viable with a bit of investment, plus breeding is easier than ever to help get a head start.
    Why does page 2 of comments take me to page 2 of the January post. But page 1 is all November comments. Something really bugged is going on with refresh articles.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong480,154
    Posted on 21 November 22 at 06:30
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    lethelerror said:
    I enjoyed monster sanctuary.

The problem with games trying to be or likened to Pokemon is they are not Pokemon, something that cant be fixed
    In a way I don’t want them to be. There are elements of Pokémon that are kind of timeless, but a lot of it is crufty and I don’t want a 67th version of the same game but a bigger Dex.

It’s like playing MTG (the card game) post about 2010, land cards were a neat solution in the 90s but they also aren’t fun and cause problems, there’s better systems in newer games.

A game that evokes the same good feelings of Pokémon without trying to be it is probably the sweet spot.

EDIT: I hear they’ve removed a lot of the grindy awfulness in creating a competitive team, that’s good news. But I only ever did that to spend time with my kid, I don’t want to touch that world again. More power to the people who’re lifelong fans and can stick with that.
    Yeah, a big issue with mainline Pokémon games is that they’re so successful that Game Freak has been reluctant to enact meaningful change to the format and outside of extra mons and a new battle gimmick each gen, it gets pretty stale. Loved Ooblets and how it subverted the ‘battle’ aspect, and Temtem fully committing to 2v2 and even using competitive rule sets in solo endgame was awesome to me - it was able to fully leverage the fact that it wasn’t part of a franchise primarily aimed at kids and double down on something that a lot of older players actually play Pokemon for.

As for your edit, correct, it has never been easier to make a comp team in Pokémon. Can’t speak for the new games yet as only just started, but in Sword/Shield, you could manipulate IVs, EVs, Nature, Ability… basically everything with the exception of egg moves. The game could give you a mon with the worst stats, moves, Ability, and Nature and you could STILL make it competitively viable with a bit of investment, plus breeding is easier than ever to help get a head start.
    Why does page 2 of comments take me to page 2 of the January post. But page 1 is all November comments. Something really bugged is going on with refresh articles.
    The same thing used to happen with the weekly Forza Horizon 5 posts. They’ll get it fixed eventually.
  • Posted on 21 November 22 at 08:58
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Lost in Limbo said:
    It’s not just supposed to be a list of games that play exactly like Pokémon, though. Type matchups are vital in P5R as they are what get you the 1-Mores, All-Outs, and negotiations. Scarlet/Violet have a similar school life dynamic as well.

It’s been a hot minute since I played NNK but the Team Star bases in the new Pokémon game play very similarly to combat in that, from what I can remember.
    Sorry, must have been confused by the title, I took it as games to play that are similar to Pokemon and am aware that if I was looking for an alternative and someone suggested these two, I’d be pretty annoyed, less so for ni no kuni!

As far as I’m concerned you’re clutching at straws with your p5r reply, element strengths/weaknesses are an RPG staple and ‘type’ (chariot, star etc) have no bearing except for the bonuses you get out of combat!

I’m not trying to c@&p on your article, just info for anyone using it to look for similar alternatives!
  • HenchmanCHenchmanC353,705
    Posted on 22 November 22 at 07:17
    I never played a Pokemon game. That said, my lack of knowledge kind of though Bugsnax was a Pokemon type of game. Which I thought was kind of cool and not too hard of a completion.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.