Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Xbox expects the next generation of consoles in 2028 "at the very earliest"

• SPACE ODDITYSPACE ODDITY1,570,843
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 15:21
    olegario96 said:
    BologneseGuy said:
    Let's have some games for the current generation before we start talking about the next :)
    Let me mention you a few:
    1. Halo Infinite
    2. Forza Horizon 5
    3. Bright Memory Infinity
    4. The Ascent
    5. CoD MW2
    All of those games are cross gen games apart from Bright. Have expectations really dropped this low?
    QUAKE 4 Number OneGRAW Solo Number One
  • ALoneWolf42ALoneWolf42548,769
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 15:24, Edited on 24 November 22 at 15:28 by ALoneWolf42
    It says if I go to the Microsoft store it lets me order one right now for $600 CN. So if there's any Canadians who are having trouble, they could always do that. (A bit expensive for me though..)

EDIT: Just checking some of the retailers, it costs even more to buy from Amazon, Walmart, and the Source. A little cheaper for pre-owned from Gamestop.
  • mcfcbrad9320mcfcbrad9320281,411
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 15:46
    Spirochaete said:
    Hopefully next gen still has a disc optional system.

Making the Series X the premium system made it in high demand. Which made people want it more.

In other words, I would not have cared for the higher end system if neither had discs.
    Highly unlikely
  • GSN LegitGSN Legit993,317
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 15:51
    IMO it'll be stupid to release a new console this early. If they did its gonna be the same thing all over again with scalpers buying all the consoles and selling it for triple or quadruple the price of retail and some of you idiots buy from them because you gotta have it. Patience is a virtue and I got mine through GameStop with getting a bundle and only paid $720 for my Series X. Came with the console, extra controller, assassins creed Valhalla, 3 months of ultimate game pass and a $20 gift card.
  • VjOnItGood81VjOnItGood81217,373
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 16:56
    I have already told myself that I'm sticking with my consoles for the remainder of gaming. These consoles every generation are just gonna get even more pricey and on the heels of buying a 65-75 inch 4KTV. It just defeats the purpose and more of the reason why they should just stop making consoles. It's all just a loss anyway.
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn426,868
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 17:15, Edited on 24 November 22 at 17:16 by psybOltOn
    I'd buy an updated version of the Series X if it still has a disc drive and could run the same games with higher FPS / faster loading times.

Edit: around 2025
  • andreandre504,358
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 17:16
    Serde said:
    olegario96 said:
    BologneseGuy said:
    Let's have some games for the current generation before we start talking about the next :)
    1. Halo Infinite
    2. Forza Horizon 5
    4. The Ascent
    5. CoD MW2
    That is a sad list so far.
    I agree with you. The list of games which have released exclusively on the Xbox Series X/S is also very disappointing. They're currently not worth the amount of money given the catalog of games.
  • SeitzzSeitzz1,122,938
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 17:24
    Good, make it 2030 then
  • Posted on 24 November 22 at 17:25
    olegario96 said:
    BologneseGuy said:
    1. Halo Infinite
    2. Forza Horizon 5
    4. The Ascent
    5. CoD MW2
    All but Bright Memory Infinity were released also on the Xbox One, the current generation just can't start until Microsoft and developers decide to ditch the Xbox One and it's showing.

Luckily, it looks like 2023 has a lot of titles that are Xbox Series exclusive (Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Redfall and maybe one of Obsidian's titles), so i'm hopeful for an actual embrace of the current generation during 2023 cause the games that have been current gen exclusive so far just haven't lived up to expectations.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead768,149
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 18:06, Edited on 24 November 22 at 18:08 by HolyHalfDead
    What they are saying is Xbox Series Season 2 comes out in 2028. Before then we can still have Xbox Series Season 1 Episode 2.

The Xbox One Series only had 2 episodes, but there is no reason Xbox Series Season 1 couldn’t have 3 or 4 episodes.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • snake42069snake420692,019,002
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 18:11
    yes but does it mention when the mid-gen console comes out? likely in 2024.
    https://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/snake42069.png
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead768,149
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 18:32, Edited on 24 November 22 at 18:41 by HolyHalfDead
    EDx GREEN JESUS said:
    olegario96 said:
    BologneseGuy said:
    1. Halo Infinite
    2. Forza Horizon 5
    4. The Ascent
    5. CoD MW2
    All but Bright Memory Infinity were released also on the Xbox One, the current generation just can't start until Microsoft and developers decide to ditch the Xbox One and it's showing.

Luckily, it looks like 2023 has a lot of titles that are Xbox Series exclusive (Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Redfall and maybe one of Obsidian's titles), so i'm hopeful for an actual embrace of the current generation during 2023 cause the games that have been current gen exclusive so far just haven't lived up to expectations.
    XSXS console exclusives:

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs
    Bright Memory
    Bright Memory: Infinite
    Immortality
    Microsoft Flight Simulator
    Scorn
    Shredders
    Slime Rancher 2
    Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

And as you said, some more have been announced:

Ark II
    Fable
    Forza Motorsport
    Redfall
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl
    Starfield

There are another 70 current gen exclusives (also on PS5 but not on Xbox One), and a further 70 XSXS “remasters” that do not share an achievement list with the XOSX version - HolyHalfDead's blog post - Xbox Series X|S Games Lists (Final Update 14 November 2022). Then there are all the Smart Delivery games that do share an achievement list. Just because AC Valhalla isn’t a stack, doesn’t make it any less a current gen game than the PS5 version.

But Microsoft are not Sony, they want people to play their games on Windows, on PS5, on their phone, even on a TV without a console.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,742,564
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 19:34
    BologneseGuy said:
    But there arent any generations anymore? wink wink
  • Titan MarsTitan Mars486,869
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 20:15
    olegario96 said:
    BologneseGuy said:
    1. Halo Infinite
    2. Forza Horizon 5
    4. The Ascent
    5. CoD MW2
    All but one of these is cross gen. I assumed it was X/S exclusives OP was meaning.
    Always dreaming so they call me the space man.
  • VideoGameOrbVideoGameOrb222,333
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 20:35
    BushidoBrown305 said:
    Series x was my last console. Once this life cycle is up I’m either going PC or done with gaming, whatever the future holds. Should have made the switch a long time ago tho
    OK.
  • etcher1981etcher19811,261,532
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 20:55
    olegario96 said:
    BologneseGuy said:
    1. Halo Infinite
    2. Forza Horizon 5
    4. The Ascent
    5. CoD MW2
    LOL........we need ALOT more than that. ALOT!
    I keeps it realz!
  • IzunaDroppedIzunaDropped349,899
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 21:39
    BushidoBrown305 said:
    I’d argue that list only adds fuel to the disappointment of this console generation so far lol
    This, as far as exclusives go this gen we're clearly at a major disadvantage compared to the other systems. Halo Infinite shouldn't be on any list besides a "what were they thinking" list after that shitshow of a multiplayer launch.
  • Posted on 24 November 22 at 22:12
    VideoGameOrb said:
    BushidoBrown305 said:
    Series x was my last console. Once this life cycle is up I’m either going PC or done with gaming, whatever the future holds. Should have made the switch a long time ago tho
    OK.
    PRETTY COOL YEAH?
  • sdutton007sdutton007441,936
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 23:00, Edited on 24 November 22 at 23:18 by sdutton007
    I'm still expecting gen 9.5 consoles around November next year (assuming they are released in the same timeframe as last gen).

Fingers crossed, they offer a 2TB model - 1TB wasn't enough last gen (for non-casual gamers), and it's nowhere near enough this generation. (I'm aware you can buy storage cards from a company with extremely high failure rates, but I'd rather not). Admittedly, this is less of an issue if you have modern internet, but here in the UK, the vast majority of people are stuck with 2 century old technology for their internet cry
  • NO1KEVNO1KEV3,111,381
    Posted on 24 November 22 at 23:15
    snake42069 said:
    yes but does it mention when the mid-gen console comes out? likely in 2024.
    It was rumoured to be oct/nov i.e. Now for sony and ms but apparently cos of most ppl's current financial woes i think itll be mid 2023. Both mid gen upgraded consoles are already good to go and done.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads