Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Just Dance 2020 mode shutting down imminently, discontinues multiple achievements

• Death and GloryDeath and Glory2,654,086
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 18:27
    Omniscient Al said:
    I still maintain that it does not cost that much to leave the servers up. Big Bumpin by Burger King is till functional.
    This is why I haven't bought a Just Dance game in years.
    It may not cost much, but the idea that it costs anything at all is enough reason to decommission them. A lot of games that aren't Ubisoft or EA are hosted on XBL servers, which is why games like Big Bumpin still work, not to mention they probably work as peer to peer anyway.
  • paramoreRyanparamoreRyan958,156
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 18:27
    Gerbasgamer said:
    paramoreRyan said:
    Leo Ascendent said:
    I'm honestly surprised they are still making Just Dance games. I didn't think they were particularly popular.
    What makes you think they're not popular? This was in September "Ubisoft unveiled Just Dance 2023 edition today at its Ubisoft Forward event. The game is the 14th title in a series that has sold more than 80 million copies."
    Cause the Wii times are over. Each game sold up to 10 million copies during 7th gen with 90% on Wii (100% for the first two as they were exclusives). Just Dance reached 42 million copies sold as of October 2013. That was just 4 years after release of the first game.
    For the next 38 million they needed 9 more years. It has dropped significantly in popularity, especially when you consider that one game in the series used to sell 10m copies on one platform in 2010 vs only around 3-4 million on up to 6 platforms today.
    Yeah it's inevitable it'll be less popular without the Wii but selling millions of copies is no where near "surprised they're still making them" levels of popularity
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer2,373,485
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 18:32
    TheBoxyBear said:
    Leo Ascendent said:
    I'm honestly surprised they are still making Just Dance games. I didn't think they were particularly popular.
    It has a niche audience but I'm sure it lost a ton with dropping Xbox One and PS4, forcing everyone to switch to controllers which I find baffling since it's also on Switch so it's not like the older consoles couldn't run it. At least now it's live service (the good kind) with yearly song packs released as dlc so the current one isn't shutting down for as long as Just Dance exists.
    Not really. The audience was always on Nintendo consoles with a small but not insignificant amount of Kinect users (though more on 360 than X1). Playstation userbase was even smaller than that.
    Obviously the reason for dropping those consoles was that it sold too little to justify it. Otherwise they would've supported it like they did it with the Wii (JD 2020) and WiiU (JD 2019).
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer2,373,485
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 18:41
    paramoreRyan said:
    Gerbasgamer said:
    paramoreRyan said:
    Leo Ascendent said:
    What makes you think they're not popular? This was in September "Ubisoft unveiled Just Dance 2023 edition today at its Ubisoft Forward event. The game is the 14th title in a series that has sold more than 80 million copies."
    Cause the Wii times are over. Each game sold up to 10 million copies during 7th gen with 90% on Wii (100% for the first two as they were exclusives). Just Dance reached 42 million copies sold as of October 2013. That was just 4 years after release of the first game.
    For the next 38 million they needed 9 more years. It has dropped significantly in popularity, especially when you consider that one game in the series used to sell 10m copies on one platform in 2010 vs only around 3-4 million on up to 6 platforms today.
    Yeah it's inevitable it'll be less popular without the Wii but selling millions of copies is no where near "surprised they're still making them" levels of popularity
    eh like I said it's on average under a million per platform. That's not much. Even if you put a sales flop on multiple platforms it will eventually sell a million or two in total. That doesn't make it popular.
    On the other hand you also have the dev costs for multiple platforms to take into account. 3-4 million on one platform is much much much more profitable than 3-4 million on 6 platforms.
    While the dev costs themselves aren't that high for these kind of games, they have to pay tons of licensing fees so the profits from these games are rather low. That could lead to the death of the franchise eventually.
  • Ox1893Ox1893101,100
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 20:02
    Plenty of notice! laugh
  • SpockMcCoyIESpockMcCoyIE500,832
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 20:20
    Live services are really dying by the dozens, don't they.
    The doctor gave me a pill, and I grew a new kidney!
  • Latinfla4Latinfla41,375,145
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 21:04
    nice warning they gave people...why does this mode urgently need to be taken down with less than a weeks notice?
  • Latinfla4Latinfla41,375,145
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 21:05
    Gerbasgamer said:
    paramoreRyan said:
    Gerbasgamer said:
    paramoreRyan said:
    Leo Ascendent said:
    eh like I said it's on average under a million per platform. That's not much. Even if you put a sales flop on multiple platforms it will eventually sell a million or two in total. That doesn't make it popular.
    On the other hand you also have the dev costs for multiple platforms to take into account. 3-4 million on one platform is much much much more profitable than 3-4 million on 6 platforms.
    While the dev costs themselves aren't that high for these kind of games, they have to pay tons of licensing fees so the profits from these games are rather low. That could lead to the death of the franchise eventually.
    pretty much what happened to dance central, fuser, and rockband/guitar hero
  • juanramonhjuanramonh2,343,108
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 21:06
    I am not able to get 3 stars in "High Hopes" - Panic! At The Disco :(
  • Posted on 23 February 23 at 21:15
    2020 what a year
  • CheevolutionCheevolution1,015,088
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 23:20
    I'm only capable of moshing. No dancing for me.
    Have a nice day
  • GalatticoRGBGalatticoRGB696,618
    Posted on 23 February 23 at 23:45
    I hope they rename it Just Stand 2020
  • FoogaFooga2,477,635
    Posted on 24 February 23 at 08:01
    This is exactly why I play these on the Switch.
  • SpirochaeteSpirochaete2,976,776
    Posted on 24 February 23 at 08:13
    Thanks for at least some notice & the news story wave

Looking over the achievements affected: trying to get a high score threshold on every song in this mode, within about a weekend, is asking for an injury.

I still really appreciate this series though. Just no illusions on completing one of these games.
  • Posted on 24 February 23 at 09:58
    Cheevolution said:
    You'll want to be playing Just Dance 2024 then, either the Circlepit or Wall of Death edition. laugh
  • CheevolutionCheevolution1,015,088
    Posted on 24 February 23 at 10:36
    IAteA11ThePies said:
    Cheevolution said:
    You'll want to be playing Just Dance 2024 then, either the Circlepit or Wall of Death edition. laugh
    I'll wait a little and see if they release a Stagedive of the Year Edition. If it includes the Backstage Pass along with some free cosmetics in the Merch Shop I'm sold!!
    Have a nice day
  • Posted on 24 February 23 at 13:40
    Cheevolution said:
    IAteA11ThePies said:
    Cheevolution said:
    I'll wait a little and see if they release a Stagedive of the Year Edition. If it includes the Backstage Pass along with some free cosmetics in the Merch Shop I'm sold!!
    I'm just hoping for the rumoured cosmetics. Lordi and GWAR costumes would be a natural choice, while Rammstein 'spraying' prosthetic appendages and moves would be a game changer for the identikit manufactured formulaic pop world.

Sadly I fear that the addition of music by AC, as requested by so many Just Dance fans, is unlikely to come to fruition (due to licensing issues?).
  • IBKJJIBKJJ856,544
    Posted on 24 February 23 at 17:24
    Thx for the warning, it sucks just having a few days.

However I got all the all stars related achievement in two days, they are not very hard.

I thought getting superstars in the 11 songs would be quite difficult but none of those songs are really hard, got superstars first try, if anybody going for this you can totally do it (I'm just an average player)
  • PsiScreamPsiScream620,656
    Posted on 28 February 23 at 05:54
    Somehow I got All Stars Fan (3 star all song in the All Star Mode) but did not get Incoming Landing which is for dancing the last song in All Star Mode. I've done the last song 4 times now and got the sticker for completing it 3x. Any ideas on how I can give this one a kick? If the mode is still running tomorrow I may try running through all the songs once more.
  • gallardoSVKgallardoSVK224,027
    Posted on 28 February 23 at 08:57
    Done in 4 hours or so.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads