Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

TA Review: Joy Ride Turbo

• Posted on 28 May 12 at 04:10Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    The game was NEVER supposed to be free. It was originally going to be a microtransaction platform like Game Room or Pinball FX 2. After you bought every dlc it would probably end up costing a lot more than 800 points.
    I have several questions for you, since you're clearly the resident expert on this game:

(1) How much was the initial platform supposed to cost?
    (2) When were the microtransactions first mentioned?
    (3) How much were the microtransactions going to cost?
    (4) Would the microtransactions be released all at once, weekly, or monthly?
    (5) When was it mentioned achievements wouldn't be possible without buying the microtransactions?
    (6) Why did the 2009 E3 announcement not mention any of this (or Kinect)?
    (7) How much stock do you own in BigPark?

Loch Doun said:
    Want the free version? It still exists ... download the demo.
    I want the @#$%^&* Primetime Channel back. That's where this game was supposed to be... along with 1 vs. 100. Which, if you'll remember, was actually free. First as a beta (but not a demo... it was the full game), and then with achievements when it went gold. No DLC, no charge, your Gold membership got you in (and some weekends Silver members could play).

The catch was that there was a fixed schedule for playing the game ("appointment gaming" was the concept). 1 vs. 100 was canceled about the same time they decided to make Joy Ride (free or not) into a Kinect game.

Later we got something called Full House Poker. 800 MSP up front, with "seasons". No prizes given, no in-game avatar dances unlocked. That didn't go over quite as well as 1 vs. 100. Ask around, if you don't believe me. The transition from Primetime Channel JoyRide to XBLA JoyRide Turbo mirrors the transition from 1 vs. 100 to Full House Poker. Both represent a significant lost opportunity (via the Primetime Channel) to capture the "casual gamer" demographic as effectively (I would argue MORE effectively, but that's my opinion) as Kinect ever could.

Unless you're actually in the know and work for BigPark and/or Microsoft Studios, or have official sources for your information, I will contest your initial statement and counter with my own assertion (as equally based in "fact" as your own) that JoyRide was indeed intended to be free to play, but on the Primetime Channel, and only available to play during certain hours.

Microtransactions might eventually have been involved; but we'll never know. The information to keep in mind is (1) The Primetime Channel is gone, (2) The only game that ever came to the Primetime Channel, 1 vs. 100, was free to play, with no microtransactions, and (3) JoyRide was shifted from a downloadable game seemingly headed for the Primetime Channel to a retail game only playable with Kinect, and then belatedly (over a year later) converted (or is that RETURNED?) to a downloadable game definitely NOT headed for the Primetime Channel, and costing $10.

You don't have to agree with the bitterness felt by those of us feeling a sense of betrayal to understand it.

However, you don't seem able--or willing--to understand the bitterness, or to recognize it as a valid reaction to what is becoming an all-too-typical pattern of behavior by game companies.

TL;DR: Loch Doun says don't be angry that you have to pay $10 for a game, because it was supposed to cost much more all along. So you should be thankful that Microsoft is only charging you $10, see? It's such a bargain compared to $40... roll roll roll
    Mame Tobikomi! 3rd Annual TA Bean Dive begins July 7th, 2012!
  • YuriamYuriam363,147
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 04:17, Edited on 28 May 12 at 04:17 by YuriamPermalink
    Loch Doun said:
    The game was NEVER supposed to be free. It was originally going to be a microtransaction platform like Game Room or Pinball FX 2. After you bought every dlc it would probably end up costing a lot more than 800 points.

Aww, it's you again.

You still talk about microtransaction and name two games that aren't anywhere near microtransaction payment?
    ... really, great job. laugh

Take a look at the actual meaning of microtransaction / micropayment in games again instead of repeating your BS every time "Joy Ride" and "free" are mentioned in the same sentence.
    Have you ever dreamed of a midnight in a perfect world?
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 04:27Permalink
    FinderKeeper said:
    Unless you're actually in the know and work for BigPark and/or Microsoft Studios, or have official sources for your information, I will contest your initial statement and counter with my own assertion (as equally based in "fact" as your own) that JoyRide was indeed intended to be free to play, but on the Primetime Channel, and only available to play during certain hours.

Microtransactions might eventually have been involved; but we'll never know.
    You gave a worthy response and I'm not sure of all of the details myself, nor do I care to be, but I do want to point out that microtransactions definitely were going to used in the game, but no one I know of can say what cost those would have added up to, or if it would have affected the achievements. But yes, microtransactions were going to used, based on many previews of the game when it was announced. I'll only link to one of them for now.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/989/989277p1.html
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 04:36, Edited on 28 May 12 at 04:56 by ScreenSingerXPermalink
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    no one I know of can say what cost those would have added up to, or if it would have affected the achievements.
    If it was indeed going to be on Primetime, my guess is they would have only partially affected the achievements. I picture a version of the game that would have been accessible to anybody but mildly costly for completionists. I can see where someone might be a tad bitter about losing out on an opportunity like that. Heck, I didn't even know about it and I'm starting to get bummed out. xD

EDIT: Just read Boat's link. The fact that you would have been able to play the DLC with anyone who owns it probably means the transactions wouldn't technically have needed to affect achievements at all. Sad loss.
  • litepinklitepink287,828
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 05:01Permalink
    I totally believe the original Joy Ride was meant to be a money maker, and not a "gift" to attract people to buying Xbox 360's:

'Joy Ride' To Pilot Free-To-Play Model On Xbox Live

...To make its money, "Joy Ride" will offer "rich customization options through micro-transactions to suit every personality," according to a press release yesterday
    BigPark's 'Joy Ride' free to play, download ... then you pay

Microsoft announced during its press conference that BigPark's big secret project is Joy Ride, a kart racer that'll be free to download and play. Of course, that's where the free ends and the microtransactions begin. It'll go live this winter, start saving those nickles and dimes.
    I'm guessing the free download was more than what the Game Room hub is or even a demo offers though. Perhaps it was 6 cars, 4 tracks, and one stunt park??

Regardless of what it might have been or what it was, that's long gone... now we have Kinect Joy Ride and Joy Ride Turbo. While I actually really liked Kinect Joy Ride, I think this game was truly meant to be enjoyed with a controller. I was having a grand ol' time with this game until "Full Garage" didn't unlock (as mentioned in the review). I detailed the heart sinking moment in a blog post. I spoke informally with a developer and they said this bug was affecting others, and they'll let me know if there's an update.

Even with what happened (with the achievement, not the free-to-play thing), I still recommend the game. Yes, it stinks that Joy Ride was once meant to be free in some form and now is not, but for 800 points I think you're getting a really fun game.
    My TA Deal Blog: http://tinyurl.com/6t8nzpd
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 05:05Permalink
    litepink said:
    ...but for 800 points I think you're getting a really fun game.
    And in 4 months, for 400 points, I'll definitely be getting my money's worth. laugh
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 05:13Permalink
    Flook666 said:
    BrumtownMangler said:
    Does it support all avatar items?
    I was playing the demo the other day wearing my Jean Claude Van Damme Mullet I got from a competition on the dashboard, so it would seem so!
    It sure does I was bombing it around in full MW3 gear.
    The things you own end up owning you
  • litepinklitepink287,828
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 05:14, Edited on 28 May 12 at 05:35 by litepinkPermalink
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    litepink said:
    And in 4 months, for 400 points, I'll definitely be getting my money's worth. laugh
    Absolutely. People tend to have gripes about "Deal of the Week" when it isn't awesome every week, but most games go on sale at some point so it can't be all bad...

I really liked this game, but I don't scoff at the notion of someone waiting for DotW. However, if something about this game catches your attention, I'd like to think that you wouldn't lose sleep for not waiting for that inevitable deal.
    My TA Deal Blog: http://tinyurl.com/6t8nzpd
  • Loch DounLoch Doun227,555
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 05:18, Edited on 28 May 12 at 06:07 by Loch DounPermalink
    FinderKeeper said:
    I will contest your initial statement and counter with my own assertion (as equally based in "fact" as your own) that JoyRide was indeed intended to be free to play, but on the Primetime Channel, and only available to play during certain hours.
    Where is the evidence to support that? Oh that's right, you have no zero evidence to support that... shocking. roll
    If you weren't too busy wasting your time trying to make yourself look right then you would notice that I in fact have linked to an article supporting my facts in previous threads. Feel free to keep repeating your same tired argument, it doesn't make you right. The game was never meant to be free, plain and simple. You're fighting a losing battle.

Microsoft is in the business of making money, not giving away games to entitled whiners. Big Park is full of employees that collect a weekly paycheck to feed their families, giving games away doesn't keep the lights on in their homes.

If you want to counteract that by going with the typical:
    "but I pay them for Xbox Live they should give me something angry"
    then feel free to switch to PS3 at any point. wavewavewave No one is forcing you to do your gaming on Xbox.

People are going to buy and enjoy the game whether you like it or not.
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 05:24Permalink
    litepink said:
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    litepink said:
    Absolutely. People tend to have gripes about "Deal of the Week" when isn't awesome every week, but most games go on sale at some point so it can't be all bad...

I really liked this game, but I don't scoff at the notion of someone waiting for DotW. However, if something about this game catches your attention, I'd like to think that you wouldn't lose sleep for not waiting for that inevitable deal.
    I hardly ever wait for a DotW. I said I would with Joe Danger, then I didn't. I still say I will for resident Evil 4 HD, but with 3610 MSP in my account, I may bite. This game definitely looks fun, but like Davie says, it's a good breather title. I don't rush out for breathers, at least not after Joe Danger. I'll definitely play this eventually though because:

a. I have a ten year old sister
    b. it has avatar support
    and c. it just looks fun
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 06:05Permalink
    FatalFlaw810 said:
    Really? 4 stars...I would of given it a 3 at best, nothing about this game is groundbreaking. It's a decent and fun game though but wouldn't pay more than 400 MSP for it.
    This is what I was thinking as well. I'll just wait for a sale since it doesn't have 400 GS. If it would have had 400 GS then I was a day one buyer.
  • Harry RasingHarry Rasing214,104
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 08:46Permalink
    I really enjoyed the trail-version.. smile
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 08:53Permalink
    I think I'll grab this when it's DOTW. If I didn't have so many games piled up already then I'd probably go out and get some MSP and get it now. Actually, if it had 400G then I would definitely buy it now. But nah, will hold off on it for now, but I did have a blast with the demo I must admit!
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
  • takuto nekotakuto neko176,696
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 10:06Permalink
    I really enjoyed the demo of this..I am very tempted to purchase it as 800msp but I've so many games to play that whenever I get around to playing this it'll come on sale..hahaha
  • MUSCAT5032MUSCAT5032222,792
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 11:28Permalink
    This isn't as good as the kinect version at all.
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 12:40Permalink
    Top game, great fun.

cant wait to play with my friends.

The 50 laps cheevo is easy and a nice way to get some seriously good lap times.

and yes im angry the first one went to kinect and was not free........kinect is good but imho not for driving games
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 14:37Permalink
    litepink said:
    People tend to have gripes about "Deal of the Week" when it isn't awesome every week.
    Lol guilty. I was furious when the deal was cheap GT change. Then I ended up changing like a month later.

Loch Doun said:
    FinderKeeper said:
    I will contest your initial statement and counter with my own assertion (as equally based in "fact" as your own) that JoyRide was indeed intended to be free to play, but on the Primetime Channel, and only available to play during certain hours.
    Where is the evidence to support that? Oh that's right, you have no zero evidence to support that... shocking. roll
    If you weren't too busy wasting your time trying to make yourself look right then you would notice that I in fact have linked to an article supporting my facts in previous threads. Feel free to keep repeating your same tired argument, it doesn't make you right. The game was never meant to be free, plain and simple. You're fighting a losing battle.

Microsoft is in the business of making money, not giving away games to entitled whiners. Big Park is full of employees that collect a weekly paycheck to feed their families, giving games away doesn't keep the lights on in their homes.

If you want to counteract that by going with the typical:
    "but I pay them for Xbox Live they should give me something angry"
    then feel free to switch to PS3 at any point. wavewavewave No one is forcing you to do your gaming on Xbox.

People are going to buy and enjoy the game whether you like it or not.
    I think I understand now why the guy on your gamerpic is making a face like he just had his head up someone's ass. Your imitation of what you perceive to be his counteraction doesn't mirror anything anyone in here has said. You can easily throw around a word like entitled, but my guess from your online etiquette is that "entitled" was a pretty big word in your household. No one was saying people aren't allowed to buy and enjoy the game, merely that they were told they would be able to simply enjoy it and only pay if they wanted cool new cars. Read some links and you'll find most of the DLC was more to make the game fit the player's personality than to unlock benefits of completion. Speaking of links....

Are you implying that bouncing around the forums looking for links you posted in other threads would not be "wasting his time trying to prove he's right," cause you'd be wrong. If it weren't such a waste of time, one might assume you'd have simply posted your link right there instead of going all gung ho and bashing a guy who didn't do anything to you other than "feel entitled." Better yet, stop wasting your own time and look six posts above you where someone posted the "proof" link you claim does not exist. And read it. The whole thing. See how the DLC would barely have affected jack.

Also, maybe get a job for one of these companies before you talk about how they earn their paycheck. If you've ever seen the offices where they make Farmville, I'd say the makers of free games are hardly destitute.
  • DMThirteenDMThirteen323,186
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 15:44Permalink
    Loch Doun said:

AGREED!

i'm really enjoying this game. I just have the last achievement to grind out, but as i can earn Stars doing pretty much anything, i can play some online with mates and know i am still working on buying all the cars.

I intended this to be a nice chill out game for those late night sessions and we aren't feeling UNO, but i pretty much have played nothing else since this came out,
  • Posted on 28 May 12 at 15:45Permalink
    I still haven't played the first Kinect: Joy Ride yet but this looks interesting :)
    !!.DA CYBER SQUAD.!!
  • SqueezefanSqueezefan408,203
    Posted on 28 May 12 at 18:25Permalink
    Excellent game , my kids love it and i think it is just as good as Sega all star racing , mario kart and better then Madagascar Kartz. It also has collectibles to unlock new cars and more. for £6.50 it has to be a 5 star rating.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.