Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

TA Review: Joy Ride Turbo

• Posted on 28 May 12 at 21:24Permalink
    Thanks for the review! I have been looking forward to this game and suspect I will wait for a sale.
  • Posted on 29 May 12 at 01:47Permalink
    N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
    FinderKeeper said:
    Unless you're actually in the know and work for BigPark and/or Microsoft Studios, or have official sources for your information, I will contest your initial statement and counter with my own assertion (as equally based in "fact" as your own) that JoyRide was indeed intended to be free to play, but on the Primetime Channel, and only available to play during certain hours.

Microtransactions might eventually have been involved; but we'll never know.
    You gave a worthy response and I'm not sure of all of the details myself, nor do I care to be, but I do want to point out that microtransactions definitely were going to used in the game, but no one I know of can say what cost those would have added up to, or if it would have affected the achievements. But yes, microtransactions were going to used, based on many previews of the game when it was announced. I'll only link to one of them for now.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/989/989277p1.html
    Hmm. According to that, it was NOT going to be like Game Room or Pinball FX2, as you couldn't just play those games without buying the extra content.

Alas, I have no proof that JoyRide was going to be on the Primetime Channel... just that the free version was being hyped at E3 2009, shortly before the debut of 1 vs. 100--which was also free--on the Primetime Channel. That said, no one has definitive proof that JoyRide was going to be like Game Room or Pinball FX2, either, in which the game would effectively be unplayable without buying the extra content. To the best of my knowledge, all we have is someone's post facto declarations on the matter, which is no different than my own post facto declaration re: JoyRide being on the Primetime Channel.

That said, I'm adopting the "buy at 400 MSP" strategy. Though I will still adhere to my initial opinion (not fact, but personal opinion) that the free version of JoyRide (along with 1 vs. 100) represents a lost opportunity to capture a sizable segment of the "casual gamer" market for Xbox Live much more effectively than Kinect ever could (unless Kinect was made free--but that's for another article).
    Mame Tobikomi! 3rd Annual TA Bean Dive begins July 7th, 2012!
  • Loch DounLoch Doun227,555
    Posted on 29 May 12 at 02:04, Edited on 29 May 12 at 02:37 by Loch DounPermalink
    Deadman XIII said:
    Loch Doun said:
    The game was NEVER supposed to be free. It was originally going to be a microtransaction platform like Game Room or Pinball FX 2. After you bought every dlc it would probably end up costing a lot more than 800 points.

Want the free version? It still exists ... download the demo.
    AGREED!

i'm really enjoying this game. I just have the last achievement to grind out, but as i can earn Stars doing pretty much anything, i can play some online with mates and know i am still working on buying all the cars.

I intended this to be a nice chill out game for those late night sessions and we aren't feeling UNO, but i pretty much have played nothing else since this came out,
    YES! toast

I agree some of the achievements are a bit of a grind but the fact that you can work towards them by enjoying some games with your mates certainly makes it less of a grind!
  • Posted on 29 May 12 at 02:17Permalink
    So instead of comment on the proof factor you were such a fan of despite having none at hand, you choose to indirectly insult most ppl on the site just to point out the one person who agrees with you. Classy. If that's your attitude just buy a game boy and move to your summer house on Lake Douche, you won't have to risk being exposed to we minions of ineptitude ever again.
    Posted on 29 May 12 at 02:31, Edited on 29 May 12 at 02:41 by Loch DounPermalink
    SteakShaker said:
    So instead of comment on the proof factor you were such a fan of despite having none at hand, you choose to indirectly insult most ppl on the site just to point out the one person who agrees with you. Classy. If that's your attitude just buy a game boy and move to your summer house on Lake Douche, you won't have to risk being exposed to we minions of ineptitude ever again.
    laugh

Well, I attempted to keep this thread on topic but as sure as the sun will set, there will always be some troll trying to stir the pot...

About your outlandish claim of me having no proof...

http://kotaku.com/5274698/xbla-getting-free-dlc+supported-ra...

"Following the popular model of Korean MMOs, even though the base game is free, players will be able to PAY to download new tracks, game modes and avatar items, according to Microsoft's press release."

And by the way, I posted the link in previous threads and even alluded to the fact in this particular thread.

Here's a hint: next time you try to attack someone for not posting proof, perhaps you should do some research as to not embarrass yourself.

Also making the proclamation that only one person shares my viewpoint is completely obnoxious. Read the whole thread and previous articles about the game, as well as articles on other web sites and you will clearly see that my viewpoint is shared by many people who have actually researched that facts instead of whining about Microsoft since that's the common thing to do.
  • Posted on 29 May 12 at 02:48Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    SteakShaker said:
    laugh

Well, I attempted to keep this thread on topic but as sure as the sun will set, there will always be some troll trying to stir the pot...

About your outlandish claim of me having no proof...

http://kotaku.com/5274698/xbla-getting-free-dlc+supported-ra...

"Following the popular model of Korean MMOs, even though the base game is free, players will be able to PAY to download new tracks, game modes and avatar items, according to Microsoft's press release."

And by the way, I posted the link in previous threads and even alluded to the fact in this particular thread.

Here's a hint: next time you try to attack someone for not posting proof, perhaps you should do some research as to not make yourself look like a tool.

Also making the proclamation that only one person shares my viewpoint is completely obnoxious. Read the whole thread and previous articles about the game, as well as articles on other web sites and you will clearly see that my viewpoint is shared by many people who have actually researched that facts instead of whining about Microsoft since that's the common thing to do.
    Yes, you alluded to a post in a different thread while accusing someone of wasting their time by not searching for it. As I already stated so clearly earlier, that would have been a larger waste of their time when you could have easily posted it here. You can't claim I was ignorant of something I brought up directly, nor can you claim anyone has an obligation to bounce around the forums looking for your holy wisdom. Also, it does not say gamers are required to pay for anything. They are ABLE to pay for certain additions. Everything that wasn't free was optional. It would be as if they released a pack of extra dance moves for 1 vs 100 and you called anyone who didn't buy them entitled. As far as other sites are concerned, the closest to your opinion I come to is from people who are very uncertain as to what the DLC even is.

You can throw out all the personal attacks you want, it won't change the fact that you ignored all that when it was brought up and tried to cover it with petty name calling. Which I suppose is the prime opposite of obnoxious.
  • Barad 007Barad 007755,740
    Posted on 29 May 12 at 09:11Permalink
    Looks fairly good.
    Battlefield 3 Gamer !
  • DaeryoonDaeryoon403,524
    Posted on 29 May 12 at 12:14Permalink
    Good review. I'll wait for DotW for purchase, but play the trial in the mean time. Wish it would have had 400GS, but oh well.
  • DontasciimeDontasciime272,370
    Posted on 29 May 12 at 14:35Permalink
    We should be able to send back Kinect version of this for a swap and a 4200 points refund
  • PolerandPolerand173,780
    Posted on 29 May 12 at 18:16Permalink
    Good review, I may just be interested on this game now having had none before reading this. Lost interest in the ability to comment, though.
  • Posted on 29 May 12 at 23:15Permalink
    From The article cited seven posts above:
    The game will be issued as a free download playable online for all Xbox Live Gold members.
    Like 1 vs. 100, then.

JoyRide was going to be free to download for Gold members, and microtransactions would not be necessary in order to play the game. On this basis, the core game would've had 200G possible, and the microtransactions would have been associated with additional G--if at all (that detail wasn't covered).

Barring any admission by the developer or publisher regarding that, it is reasonable to assume that the current game available on XBLA represents the content of the free core game promised at E3 2009.

Consider the promise broken.
    Posted on 30 May 12 at 00:11Permalink
    FinderKeeper said:
    The game will be issued as a free download playable online for all Xbox Live Gold members.
    Like 1 vs. 100, then.

JoyRide was going to be free to download for Gold members, and microtransactions would not be necessary in order to play the game. On this basis, the core game would've had 200G possible, and the microtransactions would have been associated with additional G--if at all (that detail wasn't covered).

Barring any admission by the developer or publisher regarding that, it is reasonable to assume that the current game available on XBLA represents the content of the free core game promised at E3 2009.

Consider the promise broken.
    There is ZERO evidence suggesting that the game was going to replace 1 vs 100.
    Unless you can provide evidence, that claim is baseless.
  • Posted on 30 May 12 at 18:45Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    FinderKeeper said:
    Like 1 vs. 100, then.
    There is ZERO evidence suggesting that the game was going to replace 1 vs 100.
    Unless you can provide evidence, that claim is baseless.
    I wasn't suggesting the game was going to replace 1 vs. 100. You've inferred it--incorrectly, of course.

I was suggesting--based on the information in the article you yourself cited--that JoyRide was going to be PRICED the same way as (i.e. "like") 1 vs. 100 was priced. FREE.

At the time of E3 2009, 1 vs. 100 had yet to start. It began in beta (free to download) the following week, and went gold (still free to download, but with achievements added) in November 2009.

Therefore, JoyRide was intended to be another free game in addition to 1 vs. 100, not instead of it. I said nothing about JoyRide replacing 1 vs. 100. The 1 vs. 100 beta hadn't even started at the time of the E3 2009 announcment.

Had Microsoft followed through on both games, they would both still be available, and both would have been free and playable. But they replaced 1 vs. 100 with a paid game, Full House Poker, and they replaced JoyRide "free edition" with a paid game, JoyRide "Ten-Spot"... uh, Turbo.

I've already mentioned that, but apparently that escaped your attention.
    So I've bolded the necessary text; clearly saying it in normal text the first time didn't suffice.
    Posted on 30 May 12 at 22:12, Edited on 30 May 12 at 22:13 by Loch DounPermalink
    Again... you failed to show ANY proof that it was going to be like 1 vs 100.

You just don't get it do you?

What part of the word "proof" don't you understand?

It was NEVER going to be "free". You're fighting a losing battle.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.