Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Sonic 20th Anniversary Sale [UPDATED]

• JaggexedgeJaggexedge227,494
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 15:19Permalink
    Too bad I already have every game on this list, but hot damn I would be spending money if I didn't. The only exception to this is Sonic 4, however if they are not willing to budge past 33% off then I'm not interested.

I still have to start Sonic Adventure, I bought it a while ago (Along with the DX upgrade) and the Dreamcast Collection (Since it was $8 used at Gamestop) but just haven't found the time for classic gaming goodness.
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 15:27Permalink
    Cuda Chris 72 said:
    20 Yrs? ugh... I feel old!
    tell me about it. Just turned 31. I remember when Sonic was new!
    [url=http://raptr.com/StruggleWithin?src=em_ach][img]http://raptr.com/badge/446770daed464bbd433cab3c
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 15:39, Edited on 23 June 11 at 19:33 by punkyliarPermalink
    Lavindathar said:
    Already own them all. Is the DX Upgrade for Sonic Adventure worth it? I bought SA ages ago, never started yet.
    No, definitly not. As a Sonic fan I purchased the DX right away. The graphical improvements are not really noticable, and the extra's that they promise you, only unlock when you have all levels ranked S. Not only the level, but even the extra's inside the level, like beating a time, get an amount of rings etc.

Buff Beefbroth said:
    BTW, how does Sonic 3 work with Sonic & Knuckles if you have both arcade games. Do they detect each other and automatically provide the whole, continuous S3+K game?
    If I remember it correctly, yes. Start Sonic and Knuckels, select extra's and it should be there. (again, if I remember it right). It also adds blue sphere. That is many special stages as a game :)
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 15:57Permalink
    20 years - wow -- good prices
    GT: Mike United 007
  • Groudon199Groudon199512,204
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 16:05Permalink
    P eter van Dam said:
    Lavindathar said:
    Already own them all. Is the DX Upgrade for Sonic Adventure worth it? I bought SA ages ago, never started yet.
    No, definitly not. As a Sonic fan I purchased the DX right away. The graphical improvements are not really noticable, and the extra's that they promise you, only unlock when you have all levels ranked S. Not only the level, but even the extra's inside the level, like beating a time, get an amount of rings etc.
    There's no "graphical improvements" because you're only downloading the missions, title screen, and Metal Sonic (who, by the way, is the only DX add-on item that you need to get all emblems for).
  • SanadaSanada661,962
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 16:14Permalink
    Honestly I would say these games are a steal for that price. I always thought they were pretty well priced BEFORE price drop. Would definitely want to snag Sonic Adventure for 800 while that lasts as I couldn't justify paying the 1200 points.
    You seem a little furious...
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:00Permalink
    P eter van Dam said:
    Buff Beefbroth said:
    BTW, how does Sonic 3 work with Sonic & Knuckles if you have both arcade games. Do they detect each other and automatically provide the whole, continuous S3+K game?
    If I remember it correctly, yes. Start Sonic and Knuckels, select extra's and it should be there. (again, if I remember it right). It also adds blue sphere. That is many special stages as a game :)
    Dam is right but remember the achievement are locked when you play Sonic 3 and knuckles. If you want to get achievements for both games, your going to have to play sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles on there own.
  • TheBuddha336TheBuddha3361,087,957
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:07, Edited on 23 June 11 at 19:34 by punkyliarPermalink
    just bought Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 2

so now I have bought 17 XBL arcade games that I haven't started yet, but just bought b/c they were cheap
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:16, Edited on 23 June 11 at 17:16 by Buff BeefbrothPermalink
    Thanks for the answers, guys.

The locked achievements when playing both S3+K together is lame.
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:16Permalink
    TheBuddha336 said:
    so now I have bought 17 XBL arcade games that I haven't started yet, but just bought b/c they were cheap
    Yep welcome to the club iv got 20 iv been picking up here and there on sales gonna start on them trying to finish Braid Then will go to Castle Crashers
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:28Permalink
    Nice prices
  • FirvagorFirvagor133,313
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:29Permalink
    REBORN GAIDIN said:
    How are the achievements on these games? Pretty simple?
    Sonic 1 and 2 are a wee bit tough just because of the time-based achievements, but if you look through the solutions for rough completion times you'll realize that they're actually really easy. Since you can save absolutely anywhere, you don't need to start a level over to beat the target time. Definitely overrated in difficulty.
    Sonic 3 and S&K are super easy. You can still save wherever you want, and there are no game completion target times.

So here I am having just whipped through Sonic 1-3 and S&K (and thus almost catching up with my arcade backlog), now I'm opting to get Adventure and DX, especially since DX has never been on sale before.

Also, for reference here's a really awesome site that tracks price changes:
    http://hdfanatic.com/xbldb/
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 17:56Permalink
    Lavindathar said:
    The only thing that's different with the DX mode is after you get all of the emblems in the game (And yes it's a bigger pain in the ass than it originally sounds) You get to unlock Metal sonic to play, Not only will you unlock him but you also get 30 more emblems to Collect which really makes it an expansion on the game itself. It's a good investment IF you really like the game or if you wanna continue on with the story mode.
    I AM 3578
  • spletchiespletchie552,893
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 18:02Permalink
    Wasn't into the Sonic games 20 years ago, and try as I might (Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles) I haven't been able to get into them now via XBLA. They just seem so...repetitive. Still, I guess if you grew up playing it, it would hold some nostalgic spot for you, so more power to those who can snag and enjoy some of these good deals.

(And for the record, I have quite enjoyed the "newer" Sonic in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and SEGA Superstar Tennis smile)
  • keoskeykeoskey1,157,995
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 18:25Permalink
    Got Sonic and Knuckles with the extra 100 MSP i got from Xbox reward program
    Message me if you want to boost
  • iksolokosiksolokos153,718
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 18:33Permalink
    Sonic is 20?... Damn.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/IncrediBoy.jpg
  • Posted on 23 June 11 at 18:55Permalink
    Yes long long time.
  • WraithTDKWraithTDK117,967
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 18:55Permalink
    Is it me, or do the Sonic games go on sale fairly often?

Also, you know what would go good with Sonic's 20th anniversary, instead of making a whole new game?

FINISHING THE LAST FREAKING GAME! Does "Sonic 4, EPISODE ONE" mean anything to you? It's kind of a slap in the face of paying customers to make something like that, sell it, and then not finish it.
  • GuruThaGreatGuruThaGreat985,969
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 19:59Permalink
    I have all of these, except for the DLC. So I don't think I will get anything here. That being said, it is a great sale, even if similar ones seem to have been done rather frequently. I would highly recommend Sonic 1,2, and 3 as well as Sonic & Knuckles to anyone that does not yet have them. They are all worth the money at the regular prices.
  • rocky1bombrocky1bomb436,386
    Posted on 23 June 11 at 20:10Permalink
    Sonic & knuckles 120msp!!.........I'll be picking that up
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.