Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Celebrate Xbox's Ten Year Anniversary In Japan

• MugenKairoMugenKairo288,901
    Posted on 23 February 12 at 21:34
    Tandar1 said:
    Seems racist to me.
    Racist? Please elaborate. Promoting once in Japan compared to the 99% of times US gets all the deals and promotions??? If they didn't have other promotions like this I would say MS are greedy American facists because they rarely extend their generosity to the rest of the world with an Xbox360. Choose your words carefully child.

Glad to see they are paying homage to its origins, shame I don't have a Japanese account.
    'If at first you don't succeed, you fail' GLaDOS
  • Llama OpsLlama Ops177,306
    Posted on 23 February 12 at 21:45
    Strange...I think i'm turning Japanese I think i'm turning Japanese I really think so...
  • Phoenix C64Phoenix C64310,362
    Posted on 23 February 12 at 21:58
    Brev2034 said:
    So hang on a minute in country that couldn't give a s#!t about Xbox they get given a free xbox live arcade game but here in the UK we got a avatar prop that was rubbish where's the logic
    the world would be a much nicer place if people wouldn't care so much what OTHER people have or get.

i wonder, how exactly does it affect YOU that the japaneese finally get something (this is the first time EVER i read here on TA that the japanese get something)? it doesn't! so stop QQing and be happy you got a avatar prop.
    Nerd Rage: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280
  • Posted on 23 February 12 at 23:23, Edited on 23 February 12 at 23:40 by I TRU RELIG1ON
    time to pull out my jap account and get a free game sweet.
    ALL DONE wow they got loads of free stuff on here time to link accounts i think!!
    think its quite good god aint used my brain in ages lol
  • Posted on 23 February 12 at 23:40
    cool i guess
  • ShinUkyoShinUkyo187,552
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 00:14
    Jerick85 said:
    The logic is that because xbox isn't very popular there - they want to increase the popularity. One method for doing that is deals like these. Why would they waste money on expensive promotions in a market that they already 'own' ?
    That is precisely the reason. Although it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The 360 has still sold in the millions range over there, and for a while it was outselling the PS3 (which has never sold terribly well, even in Japan, especially back when the PS2 was still being supported.) Any actual hardcore gamers in Japan own 360s, because the entire library of Cave shmups is exclusively available for the console. Even some very recent titles, like the new Onechanbara Z Kagura, have come out as 360-exclusives (despite the supposed lack of confidence in console sales.) That's because someone like D3 publisher knows the platform is easier to develop for, has the hardcore fanbase, and etc.

The problem is, of course, that the casual gaming market is much bigger than the hardcore one ever could be. This is true for every country on earth. Thanks to this, for most of the years this past generation, the top-selling game platforms in Japan were things like the DS and Wii. The PS2 and PSP have also sold well, thanks to continued releases of solid titles and even more importantly: an accessible price point. When people could buy a PS2 for dirt-cheap, with a gargantuan library of awesome games for similarly-cheap prices, why on earth would they sink money into a pricier console like 360 or PS3? Especially if they're just a casual gamer, which remember, most gamers are by default.
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer21,371,431
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 00:25
    I am hardcoer in offline and casual in online side.
  • CormacCormac536,951
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 01:52
    Jerick85 said:
    Brev2034 said:
    So hang on a minute in country that couldn't give a s#!t about Xbox they get given a free xbox live arcade game but here in the UK we got a avatar prop that was rubbish where's the logic
    The logic is that because xbox isn't very popular there - they want to increase the popularity. One method for doing that is deals like these. Why would they waste money on expensive promotions in a market that they already 'own' ?
    Could the logic not also include the fact that since it is less popular over there the promotion will not cost them the earth?

I'm hoping you fools saying you've applied through your Japanese accounts realise that you have to be a Japanese resident for this promotion. I hope they shoot you down and ban your accounts.

People thinking this is racist need a fucking wake up punch.
    Put it on vibrate.
  • keoskeykeoskey1,785,718
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 03:19
    Did it with my japan account lets see what happens.

I hope you get all 3 games not just 1 random one.
    [url=http://xboxamerica.com/?r=card-23392][img]http://xboxamerica.com/gamercards/slim-summary/keoske
  • Posted on 24 February 12 at 03:20
    ShinUkyo said:
    Jerick85 said:
    That is precisely the reason. Although it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The 360 has still sold in the millions range over there, and for a while it was outselling the PS3 (which has never sold terribly well, even in Japan, especially back when the PS2 was still being supported.) Any actual hardcore gamers in Japan own 360s, because the entire library of Cave shmups is exclusively available for the console. Even some very recent titles, like the new Onechanbara Z Kagura, have come out as 360-exclusives (despite the supposed lack of confidence in console sales.) That's because someone like D3 publisher knows the platform is easier to develop for, has the hardcore fanbase, and etc.

The problem is, of course, that the casual gaming market is much bigger than the hardcore one ever could be. This is true for every country on earth. Thanks to this, for most of the years this past generation, the top-selling game platforms in Japan were things like the DS and Wii. The PS2 and PSP have also sold well, thanks to continued releases of solid titles and even more importantly: an accessible price point. When people could buy a PS2 for dirt-cheap, with a gargantuan library of awesome games for similarly-cheap prices, why on earth would they sink money into a pricier console like 360 or PS3? Especially if they're just a casual gamer, which remember, most gamers are by default.
    The millions you refer to is more specifically 1.5 million units. Thats insanely bad sales right there. 1 in 5 people can take advantage of the offer.
  • quinnpmquinnpm362,136
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 08:03
    why is this article in English....... or do the people across seas see it in japanese...my head hurtsfacepalm
  • Posted on 24 February 12 at 13:12
    Japan is a tough market to crack when your product isn't from their region. Congratulations Microsoft on the Milestone
  • Shin GatsuraiShin Gatsurai1,169,963
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 17:10
    Wow, anyone that tries to bypass the region lock-out for this w/ a Japanese account & proxy etc... must be a stingy bugger. Eat it.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblog.aspx?gamerblogid=7054
  • SanadaSanada708,061
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 21:49
    Shin Gatsurai said:
    Wow, anyone that tries to bypass the region lock-out for this w/ a Japanese account & proxy etc... must be a stingy bugger. Eat it.
    A bit harsh don't you think? If it's as easy as created a J account that's one thing but if they are having to go out of their way to bypass it I can understand what you're saying. Only time I tried accessing the J marketplace was for an early RE5 demo...sadly that failed and their attempts most likely will too.
    You seem a little furious...
  • quinnpmquinnpm362,136
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 21:56
    MugenKairo said:
    Tandar1 said:
    Seems racist to me.
    Racist? Please elaborate. Promoting once in Japan compared to the 99% of times US gets all the deals and promotions??? If they didn't have other promotions like this I would say MS are greedy American facists because they rarely extend their generosity to the rest of the world with an Xbox360. Choose your words carefully child.

Glad to see they are paying homage to its origins, shame I don't have a Japanese account.
    1. that wouldnt make them fascists......
    2. microsoft originated in america, so its not making a homage to its origins in japan
    c. to the first guy, certainly not racist
  • Chief On KushChief On Kush2,319,045
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 23:19
    To all the babies on here crying that 300,000 Japanese Xbox players gets some free shitty game and claiming we don't get anything: KINECT FUN LABS. Suck it.
    Also if you are going to take advantage of this offer and you don't LIVE in Japan FULL TIME: This is why M$ doesn't do shit like this very often in America, you cheapskate.
    M$ doesn't owe YOU anything. If you are too cheap to buy a Kinect, then don't cry that you can't play Fun Labs. If you don't like the technology, don't buy it, and don't cry about it; try to make something better, Kinect has an open SDK you can find online. People whining isn't making Kinect any more or less fun or popular.
    First in the world to complete Super Mario Brothers 3
  • TimutimuTimutimu162,963
    Posted on 25 February 12 at 02:51
    Phoenix C64 said:
    Brev2034 said:
    the world would be a much nicer place if people wouldn't care so much what OTHER people have or get.

i wonder, how exactly does it affect YOU that the japaneese finally get something (this is the first time EVER i read here on TA that the japanese get something)? it doesn't! so stop QQing and be happy you got a avatar prop.
    To add more weight to this discussion, here in NZ we miss out on all the deals....so what? If im getting a deal, great! If not, then I probably didn't need it anyway, so i'm happy either way.
    Chur cuzzy ao baye!!!
  • Shin GatsuraiShin Gatsurai1,169,963
    Posted on 25 February 12 at 05:56, Edited on 25 February 12 at 05:56 by Shin Gatsurai
    iheartslampigs said:
    Shin Gatsurai said:
    A bit harsh don't you think? If it's as easy as created a J account that's one thing but if they are having to go out of their way to bypass it I can understand what you're saying. Only time I tried accessing the J marketplace was for an early RE5 demo...sadly that failed and their attempts most likely will too.
    It may appear harsh initially but in the full spectrum view of things, if someone is going to go out of their way to bypass all the requirements just to save 800msp, it seems a bit silly considering they must drop quite a bit of cash on retail games anyway. The lengths that greed makes ppl go to is staggering.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblog.aspx?gamerblogid=7054
  • SanadaSanada708,061
    Posted on 26 February 12 at 00:07
    That's very true Shin, I was more viewing it along the lines of if the game stacked and perhaps they wanted it for that reason. Still trying to get out of paying it but that's what some people have to do I guess.

Chief did you just base an argument that we are lucky because we get kinect fun labs? That's definitely a first...
    You seem a little furious...
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.