Walkthroughs

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

About: Walkthroughs

• Tasty PastryTasty Pastry392,204
    Posted on 31 July 10 at 08:17, Edited on 23 April 12 at 15:04 by Tasty Pastry
    Firstly, our walkthroughs are wiki style, which means that multiple users have the potential to work on one walkthrough. However, each walkthrough has an "owner" and any other subsequent people will be labeled as "editors". Upon publication of a walkthrough, the person who contributed the most to the walkthrough's success will be labeled as the owner, as determined by myself or my staff. After initial publication the owner status still has the possibility of being changed. The point of the wiki style is to try to create a single quality walkthrough for each game instead of multiple walkthroughs that force you to click between them to find the best methods. You can check the in-progress walkthroughs link below to see which walkthroughs are already being worked on if you're more interested in being the owner or an editor accordingly. All walkthroughs must include all achievements in the main game, DLC achievements are optional.

Secondly, we check over every walkthrough before it is published. This is to ensure a decent amount of quality and so that the walkthroughs are actually usable by our members of the site. This means a trade-off: that there is some time before a walkthrough is immediately published, but on the other hand, it guarantees they are more likely to be readable and in a usable format.

Right now though, let's go over the format:

Walkthroughs are meant to be efficient methods for going through a game to obtain the achievements. We are not looking for a group of solutions posted together.

Let's start with the 'Walkthrough overview' page This page is a summary overview. It should be relatively short and only mention the basics of what you should accomplish in each playthrough or the order the achievements should be tackled.

Here is a direct example of what the Walkthrough Overview page should look like. All should ideally be modeled similarly:

1) Start the game by choosing the "Adventure" mode. You'll have to clear through 30+ levels in the game. About half of the achievements are story related and you can not miss them (Andy Champion for example). While you're playing through Adventure you'll want to try to get as high a score as possible while eating as many starfish bubbles and sharks as you can, without losing all your lives (score will reset).

2) Once you complete "Adventure" mode you will want to play "Time Attack" mode. If you failed to get the Point Champion achievement you will want to make sure you get it in this playthrough. If you fail to do it this time you will have to play through the game a third time, though if you intend to go for the food bank achievements that will be of little issue. Make sure not to die if you need the high score achievement still, and if you didn't get the starfish bubbles achievement make sure to keep eating those. Always be on the lookout for opportunities to eat sharks as well.

3) After all that, all you should have left is the food bank achievements, the shark eater achievement, and the 10 hours playtime achievement. Check out the guide for more info, but you should either replay the whole game over and over, or pick certain levels to work on, focusing on the Shark Eater achievement first. Remember that the shark in the final level does not count towards the total.
    The 'General hints and tips' page will contain just that, general hints and tips. You can give another warning to watch out for missable achievements, give hints and tips on how to get better at the game, add cheatcodes if applicable, talk about the controls, etc.

The 'Story walkthrough' page and any further pages will contain the actual walkthrough which will have to be a "roadmap" style listing everything in the most logical order. We want it to look like a constant flow of thoughts. We are not looking for a bunch of solutions posted together - we are looking for a way to approach the game efficiently.

My feeding frenzy walkthrough is posted here if you're interested in checking out how the format should appear:
    Feeding Frenzy Walkthrough
    It's for an arcade game so it isn't that long, but it shows what we are looking for.

I will be assigning one of the Walkthrough Overseers to your walkthrough(s) who will be your first point of contact for when you have questions or want the walkthrough to be published. They will also proofread your walkthrough and check it for format/overall quality. They will decide if the walkthrough is ready for publishing and give their opinion to me subsequently.

We try to have a turn-around of about 10 days from when writers declare walkthroughs ready to be looked over until publication. The time is due to us needing to make sure everything is in order. Obviously there are exceptions - some walkthroughs are published much before the ten days and some a bit after.

Feel free to include images and video if you want. To insert a youtube video, simply post the URL.

And, notes on intellectual property...

Walkthroughs must follow the same rules listed for solutions:
    Solution Guidelines

If you put it on TA, we don't want it reproduced on other sites.

1) You can feel free to use any videos you find on youtube. Just insert the youtube link and it should work.

Video credit is strongly encouraged, but not enforced.

2) Item lists are hard to differentiate in product. If someone has done the work for you in a relatively menial task, you can use it, but we'd prefer if you got permissions. Large lists, such as a list of all items in a game and their locations (think Blue Dragon), must have permissions. Almost always, we'd prefer permissions, and an attempt made to differentiate our product from theirs. Of course, originality is always best if possible. I will need the message forwarded to me.

3) If you want to borrow an image or a video that isn't from youtube directly from a site, you must get permission from the user. If they deny your request, you're out of luck. If they require that you credit them, make sure to do that. You need credit from BOTH the website that is hosting it and the original creator (if they are different). If it is hosted on more than one site, you only need permission from the creator. I will need the message forwarded to me.

4) We would prefer no external links to other sites. Exceptions are granted on exceptional cases.

5) If you are going to upload an image to put on the site, try to use a "neutral" site (aka: a non-competitor to TA). TA is currently working on making a process for TA to host them itself. If the image is small, it will sometimes be "auto-fitted".

6) You can't copy achievement solution texts even if you get permission. Write your own words. This is the one thing that must be individualistic to our site. As previously mentioned, lists are free of this rule. Do not link to TA solutions.

If you can't get permissions, we can't use it on the site.

And may I remind you that if you can make it your original work, please do! Originality is always best!

If you want to still volunteer to write a walkthrough, please post in this thread:
    Volunteer to write a walkthrough

If you want to know what walkthroughs are already published or being worked on by someone, please check this:

Officially Live Walkthroughs / In Progress Walkthroughs

If you host another site and care to use a walkthrough, you're allowed to post a link to our site's walkthrough, but you are not allowed to copy and paste it.

Please use the achievement links in your walkthrough - do not type out the achievement name / gamerscore. To do this simply select it in the dropbox when editing a walkthrough page - this will make more sense once you have access.

If you want page names changed, please contact your assigned editor. You can not change the names of the first two pages. You can add walkthrough pages yourself by going through your newly added walkthrough tab (once you're given access to a walkthrough) - walkthroughs. Then click the "add page" button.

In addition you can also set the numbers we use for "estimated completion time" and "number of playthroughs required" by going through this tab. These are required for publication.

Please be aware that there is a spellcheck button when you are in edit mode. While it is by no means perfect (it doesn't know if you used the wrong form of "too" for example), it does make our lives significantly easier.

One of our most popular questions is: "Is there a time limit?". The simple answer is "no, but". The assigned walkthrough editor will be checking in with you about once every month. If we do not see significant progress in a couple of months, you will receive a PM from me. Failure to produce any progress afterwards will cause the removal of the walkthrough, unless there are extraordinary circumstances. This is to try to allow as many users access to this site feature while also trying to ensure relevant publication.

And lastly, it's important to note that there is a reason that our walkthroughs are of a high quality; because of how much work we put into making them so. If the walkthrough that is created is not up to our standards, we will work with you to improve it. If it isn't up to my standards, I will not publish it. This is not meant to be a way to deter those interested, just meant to be fully informative so you know exactly where I stand. Keep in mind this scenario almost never happens. That said, we haven't played many of the games out there, so we can't verify every bit of information - that's why our walkthroughs are wiki style - so that they can constantly be improved!

Thanks for your interest in improving trueachievements, it's seriously appreciated by the site as a whole!

-Tasty Pastry
This thread has been locked by drabik