The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

GFWL DotW: February 23rd, 2012

• AhayzoAhayzo1,493,960
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 13:56
    blkalleykat said:
    VIGILANTE 14 said:
    alanp9 said:
    Does anyone know if RE5 and Dead Rising 2 can be played using the Xbox controller for PC? I'm not a fan of using a keyboard and mouse for gaming.
    I played RE5 for the PC with my wired Xbox 360 controller. Don't know about Dead Rising 2 though.
    All the GFWL titles will automatically pick up the wired xbox 360 usb controller and auto map the buttons as though you were playing the console.
    Not true. Example, Quantum of Solace. Others I've also heard, like I think F1 2011. But definitely not all of them work. For those that don't, get Xpadder
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
  • Manifest95Manifest95408,642
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 14:11
    alklein92201 said:
    blkalleykat said:
    VIGILANTE 14 said:
    alanp9 said:
    Does anyone know if RE5 and Dead Rising 2 can be played using the Xbox controller for PC? I'm not a fan of using a keyboard and mouse for gaming.
    I played RE5 for the PC with my wired Xbox 360 controller. Don't know about Dead Rising 2 though.
    All the GFWL titles will automatically pick up the wired xbox 360 usb controller and auto map the buttons as though you were playing the console.
    Not true. Example, Quantum of Solace. Others I've also heard, like I think F1 2011. But definitely not all of them work. For those that don't, get Xpadder
    Does the Xpadder work on every game? Because that is really what puts me off from getting PC games. While I know some games are better using the keyboard, I just can't get the hang of it and NEED a controller in my hands.
  • Pete5683Pete56831,175,096
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 14:11
    alklein92201 said:
    blkalleykat said:
    VIGILANTE 14 said:
    alanp9 said:
    Agreed - for purposes of this deal, all of games are compatible with either wired controller or wireless controller + PC receiver. Some other titles don't - usually on box, not sure how to tell on GoD.
  • Bob101910Bob101910855,528
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 14:23
    @Manifest95 I think Steam (free marketplace download) says which games use an Xbox controller before you buy it. I don't play many PC games for the same reason. Steam also has some amazing sales (usually around holiday). I got SF4 for $5 and GTA 4 with all expansions for $10.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,493,960
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 14:37
    Manifest95 said:
    alklein92201 said:
    blkalleykat said:
    VIGILANTE 14 said:
    alanp9 said:
    Does the Xpadder work on every game? Because that is really what puts me off from getting PC games. While I know some games are better using the keyboard, I just can't get the hang of it and NEED a controller in my hands.
    Xpadder works for anything and everything, doesn't even have to be a program. You could use it to control Windows if you wanted.

BOB101910 RFP said:
    @Manifest95 I think Steam (free marketplace download) says which games use an Xbox controller before you buy it. I don't play many PC games for the same reason. Steam also has some amazing sales (usually around holiday). I got SF4 for $5 and GTA 4 with all expansions for $10.
    Usually they tell you, but I've seen a few where they don't
  • Posted on 24 February 12 at 15:28
    Was hoping for DR2:OTR, but looks like I'll have to keep hoping.
    I game for achievements. You may or may not. Can we get back on topic?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 February 12 at 17:19, Edited on 24 February 12 at 18:09 by
    I already have 4 of these games, some have been on sale before on Steam and GamersGate. The only one of major interest is Dark Void as this is the only place to get the version with achievements.

It would also be nice to get a nod from the OP.. I submitted this with prices as soon as it was announced, as the newshounds here are a bit slow with the PC deals...
  • V3ntilatorV3ntilator223,397
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 18:23
    Even at 50% off, these OLD games is more expensive than brand new sealed retail discs. Games on Demand have always been more expensive than retail discs, and the same for new games.

Who pays 60$ for a download game when you can get it in local store for 40-50$?

I own Dark Void which i got at 75% off on GFWL over 1 year ago.. and now its only 50% off? ;)
    Its like Steam..Some games was 75% off over 1 year ago, and "today" its like only 33% or 50%. Its kinda backwards.

Some achievements dont save to profile, but when you replay a level it most likely is saving. It did for me on 2nd tries. The cheeves that isnt saved, is random.
  • D1SCOD1SCO575,782
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 19:27
    fuzzyGURU said:
    The only one of major interest is Dark Void as this is the only place to get the version with achievements.
    I wish I knew this before picking up Dark Void recently. Are there any other PC games that only have achievements on the download version?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 February 12 at 22:08
    D1SCO DAV3 said:
    fuzzyGURU said:
    The only one of major interest is Dark Void as this is the only place to get the version with achievements.
    I wish I knew this before picking up Dark Void recently. Are there any other PC games that only have achievements on the download version?
    There are a few. Osmos, Waldo, and at least one more that I can't remember right now..
  • JJBDude48JJBDude481,973,798
    Posted on 24 February 12 at 22:43
    Right, I just got a nice powerful computer today so am finally able to play some GFWL games. I'm a n00b in all this though and a few of my questions have been cleared up in these comments. However there's still a couple of issues I would like somebody to address.

I see that lots of people say it's cheaper to buy a disc copy, does it have to be a new copy or is pre-owned fine? Also what other examples are there like Dark Void where only the GFWL version has achievements. Just so I know what to look out for when I buy in the future. :)
  • Red HysteriaRed Hysteria844,289
    Posted on 25 February 12 at 00:56
    World of Goo is one of those games where you have to buy it from GFWL to get achievements.
    Getting pre-owned is fine, I traded games around with my friends as long as the cd key is in the pre-owned box.
  • Pete5683Pete56831,175,096
    Posted on 25 February 12 at 11:50
    JJBDude48 said:
    Right, I just got a nice powerful computer today so am finally able to play some GFWL games. I'm a n00b in all this though and a few of my questions have been cleared up in these comments. However there's still a couple of issues I would like somebody to address.

I see that lots of people say it's cheaper to buy a disc copy, does it have to be a new copy or is pre-owned fine? Also what other examples are there like Dark Void where only the GFWL version has achievements. Just so I know what to look out for when I buy in the future. :)
    Not so sure about download-only games, but be aware of MS activation codes when activating GFWL games - second hand games that have already been activated won't always let you online, depends on age of game.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 February 12 at 12:03
    alklein92201 said:
    blkalleykat said:
    VIGILANTE 14 said:
    alanp9 said:
    I use PinnacleProfiler...I was so impressed with it I paid for the full version as you can use it with ANY GAME on the PC. Even emulators.

Think Gravis GamePad of long ago, but with your 360 controller
    Available M-Th after 7pm Saturday after 4pm Friday / Sunday All Day
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,493,960
    Posted on 25 February 12 at 15:09
    With Xpadder you can also use it for anything. Not just games. Browse the internet, Windows Media Player, hell, Windows itself
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.