Game Discussion: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Xbox 360)

This or MUA2?

• Posted on 19 May 12 at 02:41Permalink
    Just saw The Avengers, now I'm all in the mood for some superhero gaming.

Both games are relatively hard to find these days, especially new... and especially if I don't want some MUA/Forza2 dual pack. So I'm in a boat where I don't really care which one, as both will take some fancy footwork on eBay to get at a reasonable price with reasonable quality.

So which do you think is better? I've tried both years ago at a friends place, I preferred MUA1 but I think I might be willing to give MUA2 another shot since I never really got around to beating it and playing through MUA1 again may be a little more boring.

Is MUA2 worth giving another shot? Do you guys think one is better than the other? Please provide details! smile
    Oh, they love us American boys.
  • Posted on 19 May 12 at 03:26Permalink
    I personally prefer MUA1. It's one of my favorite games on the 360 (top 3 actually) If you get it bundled with Forza 2, it's not a big deal really. I didn't really enjoy MUA2 much, but it's still a solid game (from what I can remember)

MUA1 was a port from the OG Xbox, so the graphics aren't going to be that great.

I don't know what it is, but yeah I really liked MUA1. smile
    How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
  • Posted on 19 May 12 at 03:55Permalink
    Mystic Typh00n said:
    If you get it bundled with Forza 2, it's not a big deal really.
    Probably not, but I am a little OCD with anything I might call a "collection". Like games. smile Having a game that I never intend to play would bug me a little (not a fan of racing games) and I wouldn't mind paying a little more to satisfy.

Anyways, since a friend of mine has MUA2, and it's the one I haven't beaten already (so playing through it may feel a bit fresher)... I'm kind of leaning towards that. Though it seems even tougher to find than MUA1 lol.

Any opinions are still appreciated though!
  • Posted on 19 May 12 at 08:02Permalink
    I have 2 and think its really good. Lots of good characters and a good story based on the civil war comics. Also has a couple of dlc packs from what I remember and fun to get achievements.
  • PolerandPolerand177,652
    Posted on 19 May 12 at 13:20Permalink
    Played both to 100% -- MUA2 is much better, in my opinion. The story especially. The fusion powers leave you wanting a little, but overall I think it's a much better experience.
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic397,617
    Posted on 19 May 12 at 18:45Permalink
    I wasn't particularly impressed with either of them. Not overly difficult, but the Sim missions are just a PITA.

Something to be aware of, unless you can find a Gold edition for the first (there is no and will be no Gold edition for the second) or know someone with the DLC, you won't be getting a full 100% achievement completion. The DLC for both games has been pulled from XBL/PSN and won't be returning.
  • Posted on 19 May 12 at 19:46Permalink
    Gold edition is quite pricey iirc...

I'm glad I bought them way back when

now I really want to play it
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic397,617
    Posted on 19 May 12 at 20:07Permalink
    Mystic Typh00n said:

Uh, ya.

On Amazon, a New gold edition starts at $150.

But you can get a deal on a Used at $120...

-.-
  • Posted on 19 May 12 at 21:00, Edited on 19 May 12 at 21:05 by Dreakon1313Permalink
    Just got MUA2 new on eBay for $30. Don't think I'll be doing much better than that, in terms of price to quality ratio.

I stopped worrying about getting games to 100% as soon as I put GTA4 and/or NHL 12 in my console. Just so long as I get as many achievements as I possibly can before getting bored/annoyed. wink

Why is MUA2 so hated? DLC pulled? You can't find a copy for less than $30 new or used (if at all) because it's so rare? Does the developer just hate this game or something? Plenty of games have come out around 2009 or earlier and are still supported, but they dropped this as soon as they could it seems.
  • Posted on 20 May 12 at 00:42Permalink
    Rhyolitic said:
    Mystic Typh00n said:

Uh, ya.

On Amazon, a New gold edition starts at $150.

But you can get a deal on a Used at $120...

-.-
    Why would you go to Amazon for that kind of stuff when things like ebay exist.

As for 1 versus 2, it depends on what you like. A lot of the RPG elements were taken out of 2, it is much more of a straight brawler.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's...strategically placed."
  • Posted on 20 May 12 at 00:55Permalink
    And I think that's what I really enjoyed, the RPG aspect of 1 compared to 2.
  • HumpyrtonHumpyrton757,202
    Posted on 20 May 12 at 02:30Permalink
    2 is much easier than 1, but both were quite fun, i would say 1 more than 2 though
  • PolerandPolerand177,652
    Posted on 20 May 12 at 11:57Permalink
    Dreakon1313 said:
    Just got MUA2 new on eBay for $30. Don't think I'll be doing much better than that, in terms of price to quality ratio.

I stopped worrying about getting games to 100% as soon as I put GTA4 and/or NHL 12 in my console. Just so long as I get as many achievements as I possibly can before getting bored/annoyed. wink

Why is MUA2 so hated? DLC pulled? You can't find a copy for less than $30 new or used (if at all) because it's so rare? Does the developer just hate this game or something? Plenty of games have come out around 2009 or earlier and are still supported, but they dropped this as soon as they could it seems.
    DLC was pulled for the same reason most everything is pulled -- licenses. The game was released towards the end of the year and they lost the license (thanks to Disney) at the end of the year. They got it back up for a time a little later and then it returned to the void for good. For some reason, this also included pulling the free DLC that allowed you to play with the DLC characters even if the people you played with didn't have them.
  • Posted on 20 May 12 at 18:00Permalink
    MUA1 rocks, and holds up nicely despite its age. If I had to choose, I'd play this one.
    MUA2 is a great game, but can be wonky at times, IMO.
    Both provide some fun gaming .
  • Mickey BurnsMickey Burns365,099
    Posted on 20 May 12 at 20:47Permalink
    I thought both were pretty fun ... much better than X-Men Legends 2. That game was a turd.
  • Shin GatsuraiShin Gatsurai1,102,009
    Posted on 20 May 12 at 22:59Permalink
    Anyone wanna do MUA2 co-op?
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerblog.aspx?gamerblogid=7054
  • Posted on 05 June 12 at 20:51Permalink
    I've played both, and in my opinion Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is much better. In the first one I felt like everything was too repetitive and the levels dragged on forever, whereas I really enjoyed playing through the second one. Never could finish the first one, but I've finished 2 and am halfway through beating it on Legendary (I think that's what the hardest difficulty is??)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.