Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Fez Once Again Dated [UPDATE]

• JuicedBeaverJuicedBeaver229,267
    Posted on 26 February 12 at 22:00Permalink
    Saint Devourer said:
    unfortunately, this has been debunked.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/26/fez-hits-xbla-on-may-2/
    So disappointing, BTW to all who are speculating the price. Phil Fish the same who debunked this release date had an interview with eurogamer where he spoke on XBLA price points.

Phil Fish said:
    "I thought for a while Fez was going to be 1200 points because that was becoming the standard," he says. "But they're trying to bring back the average to 800, because they believe it's the sweet spot and we're going to sell so many more units that way. I'm not convinced. If it was up to me I would charge 1200 points. I just spent five years working on this. I'm not going to give it away for free."
    I object! That was... objectionable!
  • Posted on 26 February 12 at 22:36Permalink
    Let's just all try to remember that Fez is being developed by a single guy, and it isn't even his full-time job (because he'd be broke if it was). Given how cool the game looks, I think we can forgive him.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 00:43Permalink
    JuicedBeaver said:
    Saint Devourer said:
    unfortunately, this has been debunked.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/26/fez-hits-xbla-on-may-2/
    So disappointing, BTW to all who are speculating the price. Phil Fish the same who debunked this release date had an interview with eurogamer where he spoke on XBLA price points.

Phil Fish said:
    "I thought for a while Fez was going to be 1200 points because that was becoming the standard," he says. "But they're trying to bring back the average to 800, because they believe it's the sweet spot and we're going to sell so many more units that way. I'm not convinced. If it was up to me I would charge 1200 points. I just spent five years working on this. I'm not going to give it away for free."
    I've been waiting for Fez for a couple years now, and I love Phil Fish, but this quote is retarded. Specifically the last sentence. 800 points is not Free. You'll still make your money and then some. This is one of the, if not THE, most hyped XBLA game of the year. I do agree that they will make more if they release at 800, if he doesn't realize that he might want to do his homework on the sales of 1200 priced games. Either way, it just sounds selfish. "I'm not releasing my game at a lower price because I just worked on this for 5 years, even if financially it might be for the better and might make fans happier" That's how it comes across. Also it's featured in Indie Game: The Movie. That's more publicity for when it releases. Who knows, it could even be in Summer of Arcade. The game is going to sell.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 01:12Permalink
    Yep after those greedy ass comments I wouldn't download it for free.
    2 jobs, 10 hour days, 6 days a week and I still destroy games.
  • Loch DounLoch Doun233,948
    Posted on 27 February 12 at 01:57Permalink
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    Trying to break even and make a small profit is "greedy"???
    You have a very distorted sense of reality, my friend.
  • LordDante360LordDante360485,657
    Posted on 27 February 12 at 02:05Permalink
    i can see this coming out as part of Summer of Arcade if it gets put back again, if it is part of SOA then its going to be 1200 points as there is always an offer if you buy all the games and most ppl do buy them all....
    so ever way hes gonna make hes money so hes not giving it away for free....
    Posted on 27 February 12 at 04:34Permalink
    LordDante360 said:
    i can see this coming out as part of Summer of Arcade if it gets put back again, if it is part of SOA then its going to be 1200 points as there is always an offer if you buy all the games and most ppl do buy them all....
    so ever way hes gonna make hes money so hes not giving it away for free....
    Look at Warp and Neuxis, they are both 800 points and part of the House Party promotion, so if Fez is part of SOA then it will probably be 800. I would put it in the same league as Warp, yet not in the 1200 league of Alan Wake and I Am Alive.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 04:41Permalink
    i can almost guarantee that fez will launch at 1200.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 05:06, Edited on 27 February 12 at 05:20 by CounterInsurgntPermalink
    Loch Doun said:
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    Trying to break even and make a small profit is "greedy"???
    You have a very distorted sense of reality, my friend.
    I find it very interesting that you already know the cost of the game to make and the total sales figures including profit. You should be rich with all this wealth of knowledge. Care to share these figures? Oh right back to reality than ....

Now I liked how you said "small profit" .... If this clown was trying to make a small profit he wouldn't be bitching about an 800msp price point!

To put it simply if this game was launched at 800 it would make a profit. If it was launched at 400 it would make a bigger profit due to bigger sales.

You must fail to understand that when you download a game you are not being handed a crafted piece of jewelry, you are getting data. It does not cost xbox, the developer or anyone for that matter much more to download 1 copy vs 1,000,000 copies. In otherwords once the sales reach that cover costs figure which I would imagine will be low, every other download will be profit.

Imagine you had the option to buy a game from a developer who said nothing except how good their game was and the option to buy from a dev who said how good their game was BUT they will not give it away for free! And by free he means 800 msp *roll eyes*

I'm going with the first choice.

In any event I feel nothing for this guy except anger. Hes worked for 5 years blah blah blah. Obviously this isn't his only gig. It's side work. So isn't it all mostly profit anyway?

For the love of gaming the guy just said at the 800 msp price point he would be "giving it away"
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 05:38Permalink
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    quote cut
    i'd rather buy a good game at 1200 than a decent one at 800. as arrogant as phil fish is, he's very passionate about his game.

that being said, game development is indeed very expensive. i certainly don't blame developers for wanting to profit off of their games, i simply think their games had better be up to snuff if they're willing to charge 1200 for it.
    Posted on 27 February 12 at 05:44Permalink
    This "clown" that you speak of created a game from scratch, he has the right to sell it for whatever price he feels is worth it.

I can almost guarantee that if you were the one who made the game you want to push for more money as well.

Unless you have been in his position, you have no rhyme or reason to judge his behavior.

In the end, Microsoft will probably set the limit at 800 for Fez because that is the norm for a game like this. It is not quite the high production value that a 1200 game like I Am Alive or Shadow Complex is.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 05:46Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    In the end, Microsoft will probably set the limit at 800 for Fez because that is the norm for a game like this. It is not quite the high production value that a 1200 game like I Am Alive or Shadow Complex is.
    games like limbo and castle crashers say otherwise.
    Posted on 27 February 12 at 05:48, Edited on 27 February 12 at 05:50 by Loch DounPermalink
    Saint Devourer said:
    Loch Doun said:
    Castle Crashers is absolutely worth 1200.
    It is also the highest selling XBLA game, so many people think it was worth it as well.

However Limbo should have been 800.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 05:58Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    This "clown" that you speak of created a game from scratch, he has the right to sell it for whatever price he feels is worth it.

I can almost guarantee that if you were the one who made the game you want to push for more money as well.

Unless you have been in his position, you have no rhyme or reason to judge his behavior.

Sure I have a reason to judge his behavior! I am a gamer and he is selling a game.
    I don't like his behavior or game by the looks of it for that matter, so I don't buy his game and comment on his piss poor behavior.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 06:02Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    limbo sold very well at 1200, well enough to eventually be ported to both steam and psn. the critics loved it too, so i could argue that playdead selling it at 1200 was the right thing to do.
  • Posted on 27 February 12 at 19:15, Edited on 27 February 12 at 19:18 by FinderKeeperPermalink
    Update: ... Or maybe not. Seems the release date posted on Xbox.com is not the actual release date as Phil Fish has noted to Joystiq. Just as we've done to this point, we'll be sure to give you release date details as they become available.
    facepalm
    As long as the game doesn't involve slinging your own feces or chewing bubble gum with your ass, it should be OK, if just a wee bit tardy...

though if he waits until 2014 he might be able to charge 1600 for it
    Mame Tobikomi! Bean Dive COMPREET-O! Completion from 37.45 to 26.65!
  • Barad 007Barad 007779,030
    Posted on 27 February 12 at 19:29Permalink
    If it's good..then I don't mind too much paying 1200!
    Battlefield 3 Gamer!
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo252,572
    Posted on 28 February 12 at 00:18Permalink
    Loch Doun said:
    Saint Devourer said:
    Loch Doun said:
    Castle Crashers is absolutely worth 1200.
    It is also the highest selling XBLA game, so many people think it was worth it as well.

I agree with Castle Crashers but not Limbo, that was a gorgeous title, beautifully crafted and I think that masterpiece was worth its tag in gold. Why don't they have games for an even 1000MSP? Everyone prefers 800, loathes paying 1200 so why not meet in the middle?
    'If at first you don't succeed, you fail' GLaDOS
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 February 12 at 02:41Permalink
    I would totally pay good money for this! Should always support creativity.
    If you are here... then who did I kill?!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 February 12 at 02:47Permalink
    CounterInsurgnt said:
    Dude, if this isn't your type of game then why give an input, especially negative ones? You're just a guy who thinks his opinion is important.
    If you are here... then who did I kill?!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.