The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

GFWL Horror For The Holidays Promotion

• DeekeDeeke69,054
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 02:00
    Also its (somehow) possible for a game to be marked "Games for Windows" and still be run by STEAM--take Fallout New Vegas for instance for PC. Since it doesn't say "Games for Windows LIVE", only "Games for WIndows", STEAM manages the online part--i.e. patching, and initial downloading of the game itself. Yes, you have to download the game even though the game should be on the disc. Anyway, don't be fooled--if you expect to get achievements for your Xbox Live account, you have to make sure it says "Games for Windows Live", always make sure that LIVE is on there, or else you'll be screwed over and disappointed with STEAM's achievements not carrying over to your hard-earned Gamerscore.
    Mħ†Î©Ø®e
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 December 10 at 02:06
    where the hell is the full game of dead rising 2 ? i can only find the add ons and ive been wanting dead rising 2 for weeks now
  • RVMRVM492,938
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 03:05
    deeke said:
    Steam achievements are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than G4WL achievements. G4WL achievements are lumped in with your XBL account, and combine with any previous Xbox 360 achievements, whereas Steam has a lame-ass achievement system. By the way, Steam is only as good as your internet connection is.

Yeah Steam achievements are different, but in this case with RE5, you can sign in with your gamertag and earn gamerscore. It'll use the GFWL client as long as the game says "Games for Windows Live". I just bought RE5 from Steam ($10.20). Might as well save the extra five bucks ;).
  • ZymoticZymotic1,200,390
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 03:37
    Cool... I guess. You could buy every THQ game which is well over $400.00 for $50.00 on steam. Windows market place will never touch steam.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 December 10 at 03:38, Edited on 22 December 10 at 03:48 by
    I just got Dead Rising 2 and Resident Evil 5, I also got Bioshock 2 PC when it was on sale. Now I just have to get a computer that can run them. lol

Richard Bastion said:
    Robotic Aquatic said:
    Edit: for Steam Only
    That's not an edit; that's a new post. laugh

Anyway, I might buy STALKER. Can't decide. Anyone played it who cares to shares their opinion?

Patsreds said:
    Question - Are all RE5 achievements obtainable by yourself? Or are there some you need a Co-op partner for?
    I got 'em all by myself. Can't speak for any of the DLC, though.
    There is no DLC for the PC version of RE 5.
    [url=http://www.trueachievements.com/McDurbin.htm][img]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Mc
  • PatsredsPatsreds161,375
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 04:21, Edited on 22 December 10 at 04:30 by Patsreds
    McDurbin said:
    Richard Bastion said:
    Patsreds said:
    Question - Are all RE5 achievements obtainable by yourself? Or are there some you need a Co-op partner for?
    I got 'em all by myself. Can't speak for any of the DLC, though.
    There is no DLC for the PC version of RE 5.
    Awesome, thanks for the information! My usually PC partner (my brother) isn't really into horror games!
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

• zyxomma100zyxomma100201,112
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 05:25
    Yeah, agreed that GFWL will never touch Steam. I probably would've bought Super Meat Boy for $10 from the XBLA, but then Steam went ahead and discounted it to $2.50 yesterday. Only problem is that my laptop is terrible for gaming... I'm getting slowdown just from playing Super Meat Boy and Bit Trip Beat... Hell, I can barely run Civ 4, let alone Civ 5 like I want. :(
  • BDSLiVeBDSLiVe49,706
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 07:08
    Nice deals on GFWL! But why didn't they come out with these at Halloween?
    Too Bad I hid a BooT
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 December 10 at 09:12
    BDSLiVe said:
    Nice deals on GFWL! But why didn't they come out with these at Halloween?
    Thats what I was thinking, but they did this last year I believe as well but on the 360.
    [url=http://www.trueachievements.com/McDurbin.htm][img]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Mc
  • ivegotalobonivegotalobon384,319
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 09:23, Edited on 22 December 10 at 09:24 by ivegotalobon
    These are the games you can buy from steam and unlock still achievements for gamerscore

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Battlestations: Pacific
    Fallout 3 [Game of the Year edition]
    FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
    Fuel
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Resident Evil 5
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
    Street Fighter IV
    Universe at War: Earth Assault
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Theses have possibly glitchy achievements/unconfirmed if they 100% award achievements
    DiRT 2
    Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Lost Planet
    Quantum of Solace
    Section 8
    Stormrise
    The Club
  • Posted on 22 December 10 at 10:15
    Why Resident Evil 5 ? Oo
  • Posted on 22 December 10 at 12:03
    They probably wont run on my PC. Its weird with games downloaded from GFWL yet it will run any retail games fine.
  • Luca 231Luca 231110,761
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 12:20
    Does anybody knows if Plants vs Zombies for GFWL has achievements?
    I really liked it on Xbox, but I can't decide about buying it for pc...
  • punkyliarpunkyliar295,443
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 12:23
    Luca 231 said:
    Does anybody knows if Plants vs Zombies for GFWL has achievements?
    I really liked it on Xbox, but I can't decide about buying it for pc...
    No it doesn't.
  • SkelixSkelix1,971,569
    Posted on 22 December 10 at 19:46, Edited on 22 December 10 at 19:48 by Skelix
    ivegotalobon said:
    These are the games you can buy from steam and unlock still achievements for gamerscore

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Battlestations: Pacific
    Fallout 3 [Game of the Year edition]
    FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
    Fuel
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Resident Evil 5
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
    Street Fighter IV
    Universe at War: Earth Assault
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Theses have possibly glitchy achievements/unconfirmed if they 100% award achievements
    DiRT 2
    Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Lost Planet
    Quantum of Solace
    Section 8
    Stormrise
    The Club
    Yes those will all give achievements, note Batman has a GOTY edition as well (seperate 1k), UaW shares points with the 360 (can only have the total of 1k), Lost Planet is the colonies versions I believe and that I believe is also 1k shared.

The game you need to be careful of is Dark Void as it's normally a GFW game. BUT if bought from the GFWL client (and only there), it's a GFWL title with achievements. This holds true with Osmos and the Goo game.

edit: do research as well if you're a completionist. It is not uncommon for a GFWL game to have bugged or unobtainable achievements.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 December 10 at 23:00
    Nice to know that RE5 has no DLC for PC as I hate Desperate Escape. Would get it but I'll hold off for the daily deals on the dashboard.
  • prokopprokop264,025
    Posted on 23 December 10 at 05:02
    mine says RE5 is 24.99 on GFWL
    C.C. Prokop
  • HucBerCranPerryHucBerCranPerry1,840,119
    Posted on 23 December 10 at 19:30
    i got all these titles
  • HellCreeper666HellCreeper6661,165,854
    Posted on 27 December 10 at 03:52
    Nice 1200MS points for Resident Evil.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads