Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Business of Gaming: Closures, Layoffs and More THQ

AuthorMessage
Dog of Thunder
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:36
A studio closes, another contracts, a third is sort of saved and the left-overs at THQ

Please click here to read the story: Business of Gaming: Closures, Layoffs and More THQ
Vr English
Vr English
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:38
I know I can find the information out elsewhere first, but its far more interesting hearing what you have to say. Thanks for the post.
Yummy Baklava
Yummy Baklava
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:41
inb4 people start blaming the likes of Sony and Microsoft, who have kept this generation going for far too long.

THQ pumped what was it? 100 million dollars into that tablet thing and saw nothing in return? Yeah, let's blame that on Microsoft and Sony as well.

Also, taking out a loan and buying Red Faction. That is wonderful, but how about the 3+ months of development, advertising and all forms of publishing? ;)
I got into this achievement thing a little too late with this account, but heading for 80% completion before I play any more games on my profile
Dog of Thunder
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:44
Why So Jealous said:
Also, taking out a loan and buying Red Faction. That is wonderful, but how about the 3+ months of development, advertising and all forms of publishing? ;)
.....it'll be a big loan.
Ryot Control
Ryot Control
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:46
Let's go halfies on that loan for Red Faction, and then add cute bouncy bikini clad women playing volleyball USING INCREDIBLE GEO-DESTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY.

We can save the franchise Dog, think about it.
sm182
sm182
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:48
So assuming WWE 2k14 will be, I guess we can expect servers to be open for only 14 months.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:55
Spector will be back, I promise you that.
No man is an island, unless he's sitting in the bath
Boarder8912
Boarder8912
Posted on 30 January 13 at 15:59
Well Crytek...officially moved into one of my favorite studios. I did not want to see Vigil die like they were on their way to and opening a new studio and giving the former co-owner head of the studio...that is awesome. What other company would you see do that? I don't even think game company read posts from sites like this but if for any reason you do...Vigil...here is a 2nd chance....LETS SEE MORE DARKSIDERS!
Boarder8912
Boarder8912
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:00
sm182 said:
So assuming WWE 2k14 will be, I guess we can expect servers to be open for only 14 months.
He said in the op that new news has officially been announced that 2K bought the WWE License. For all we know their won't be anymore being made.
iWantEllenPage
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:01
bodycount was an incredible failure. i think it gave me cancer.
BIG MEECH
matdan
matdan
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:05, Edited on 30 January 13 at 16:07 by matdan
"Let's talk for a momebt about the WWE license"
Moment.

Still shocked that nothing has happened with Red Faction, it has so much potential which Volition failed miserably at tapping. Just hope it doesn't die permanently.

Boarder1993 said:
Well Crytek...officially moved into one of my favorite studios. I did not want to see Vigil die like they were on their way to and opening a new studio and giving the former co-owner head of the studio...that is awesome. What other company would you see do that? I don't even think game company read posts from sites like this but if for any reason you do...Vigil...here is a 2nd chance....LETS SEE MORE DARKSIDERS!
Well considering that aside from Crytek they had the choices of joining DICE, 2k, Disney and 343 Studios it seemed like their talent attracted enough attention.
ALollz
ALollz
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:10
While it is sad, it really make sense.

Darksiders 2 was a high budget game, requiring 2 million units sold to simply break even, as as of Novemeber it only sold 1.4 million copies. It simply did not live up to its expectations. It wasn't a bad game, but it was somewhat stale and repetitive especially after playing the first. It may be sad, but there is less and less room for mediocre games in todays market when there are already so many remarkable retail games released (The Bioshock series, Halo 4, Elder Scrolls series, Any Fallout, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 3 (kind of)). Not to mention the number of excellent arcade games that are only a fraction of the price.

As for Junction Point Studios, well Epic Mickey 2 was just abysmal. Terrible cooperative AI, glitchy and more irritating than enjoyable because of these.

It seems like more and more game studios are just pumping out games to meet deadlines, instead of spending the extra months to refine these games. They get bad reviews because the games are flawed, broken or boring, and then the sales tank. I almost wonder if things would be different for Junction Point if they took 2 more months to really fix their game and make it better. Sure hindsight is 20/20, but could the outcome have really been any worse if they instead tried to fix their game and put out a better product?

On the other hand games like Kinect Star Wars were still terrible even after being delayed for years, so at some point things just need to be abandoned...

I really hope other game developers look at this and realize that a rushed and shoddy product just aren't going to cut it, especially if they aren't going to offer a huge amount of fixes post production, as was the case with Assassin's Creed 3.
RRIKER
RRIKER
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:17
Get me that geo-mod 2.0 engine code, and I'll make you more than red faction.

hell, I'll do it up so you can edit custom challenges and mission maps and upload them like trials 2

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:45
1983 here we come
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin L
Oceans 4 Ransom
Posted on 30 January 13 at 16:51
pobresito Red Faction. One of the most overlooked franchises that really is one of a kind. Guerrilla had so much going for it. I loved and still love that one. never touched Armageddon because of this whole deal going on but if I had the moolah, I'd buy that in a second.
Jakeythedude
Jakeythedude
Posted on 30 January 13 at 17:31
I hope someone buys Red Faction and Darksiders. :/
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 30 January 13 at 17:37
Dog of Thunder said:
Why So Jealous said:
.....it'll be a big loan.
About £100
Rhyolitic
Rhyolitic
Posted on 30 January 13 at 17:54
What about the 40k license? Has there been any news about whether or not it'll show back up with Relic? Or is GW finding someone else to handle it? Also, what about the Dark Millenium game (no longer an MMO)?
Dog of Thunder
Posted on 30 January 13 at 18:02
Rhyolitic said:
What about the 40k license? Has there been any news about whether or not it'll show back up with Relic? Or is GW finding someone else to handle it? Also, what about the Dark Millenium game (no longer an MMO)?
There is no word. The Warhammer site I go to reported that SEGA picked it up, but that's because the author there was confused over how a license works. *ALL* licensed THQ property except for Metro and South Park, are up in the air with no word. It is very likely companies are waiting for THQ to crumble, which will send the rights back to the licensor (Games Workshop in this case) and then it can be acquired at a lower price.
Chunkeh Munkeh
Chunkeh Munkeh
Posted on 30 January 13 at 18:03
ALollz said:
While it is sad, it really make sense.

Darksiders 2 was a high budget game, requiring 2 million units sold to simply break even, as as of Novemeber it only sold 1.4 million copies. It simply did not live up to its expectations. It wasn't a bad game, but it was somewhat stale and repetitive especially after playing the first. It may be sad, but there is less and less room for mediocre games in todays market when there are already so many remarkable retail games released (The Bioshock series, Halo 4, Elder Scrolls series, Any Fallout, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 3 (kind of)). Not to mention the number of excellent arcade games that are only a fraction of the price.

As for Junction Point Studios, well Epic Mickey 2 was just abysmal. Terrible cooperative AI, glitchy and more irritating than enjoyable because of these.

It seems like more and more game studios are just pumping out games to meet deadlines, instead of spending the extra months to refine these games. They get bad reviews because the games are flawed, broken or boring, and then the sales tank. I almost wonder if things would be different for Junction Point if they took 2 more months to really fix their game and make it better. Sure hindsight is 20/20, but could the outcome have really been any worse if they instead tried to fix their game and put out a better product?

On the other hand games like Kinect Star Wars were still terrible even after being delayed for years, so at some point things just need to be abandoned...

I really hope other game developers look at this and realize that a rushed and shoddy product just aren't going to cut it, especially if they aren't going to offer a huge amount of fixes post production, as was the case with Assassin's Creed 3.
Nothing wrong with Kinect Star Wars other than the one dodgy save slot.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.