Game Discussion: Final Fantasy XIII Forum

Is Final Fantasy XIII as good as Final Fantasy 7?

AuthorMessage
CONKER1182
CONKER1182
Posted on 10 March 10 at 06:52
I`m not planning on getting Final Fantasy XIII but I just want to know what you guys think about Final Fantasy XIII is it any good? I`m not a Final Fantasy fan.
Xbox LIVE - CONKER1182 PSN Id - psu6
Draco86
Draco86
Posted on 10 March 10 at 07:18
Too early to tell, it just came out today
bo ozz
bo ozz
Posted on 10 March 10 at 09:05, Edited on 10 March 10 at 09:06 by bo ozz
The first 3 hours are sloooooooowww... but after a while the system develops and gets more complex.... that's when the fun starts. Only drawback is that it's simplified compared to earlier installments, auto-heal after battle... only have controle over one main character... use of a potion works for whole party... (for me untill now) no need to buy any items.

Quality of the cutscenes makes up for everything above though!
L33tSpriggs
Posted on 10 March 10 at 10:10
It's supposed to be a huge step down from the other Final Fantasy games. Not that I'm even a fan of Final Fantasy at all, but Yeah apparently it's not on par with the rest.
When you die can I have your stuff?
Shinerbock88
Shinerbock88
Posted on 10 March 10 at 11:18
I'm really digging it. I'm liking it more than any other FF I've liked this early in the game in a long time. The last time I felt this good about a FF was FF8, but I felt pretty good about FF12 as well and I was highly disappointed with it. FF7 is my all-time favorite game, so it has a lot to live up to if it's going to be as good as 7. Even with FF13 being very linear so far (I'm about 6hrs into the game), I find myself wanting to advance the story even more and I'm not wanting to put the game down. That's always a plus.

The battle system is good, but I'd rather have more control over my party's actions. The more control the better as part of the fun is figuring out weaknesses and such. But if you scan with Libra, the AI does a very good job on its own.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/Shinerbock88 (current project: ME2)
Ojotango
Ojotango
Posted on 10 March 10 at 13:15
I agree with Shinerbock88. I am loving it, but so far it has been far too linear - I can't wait for it to open up more. Also, nothing even approaching a challenge in the fighting department yet...
Mercutio Hustle
Posted on 10 March 10 at 13:48
In short; no. It's quite possibly the most tedious game I've played.
======================= Mercutio Hustle "Blinking Is For Wimps" =======================
CONKER1182
CONKER1182
Posted on 10 March 10 at 15:22
Do you guys recommend I sooner or later get this game on Xbox 360? My first Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy 7 on the PSX even through I never beat this game.
CONKER1182
CONKER1182
Posted on 10 March 10 at 15:25
When I played Final Fantasy 7 I stopped playing it when I got to the second because I didn't have any time to play ff 7.
PoisonTheRivers
Posted on 10 March 10 at 16:17
As soon as the very first trailer for XIII came out, I had a strong suspicion it would be a crappy FF title, even if it was a solid game. Everything I've read since then and after release confirms my suspicions. I will never buy this game, and I will never recommend it to anyone.

My favorite FF titles were III (aka VI), VII, VIII, and XII.
The Globalizer
Posted on 10 March 10 at 16:25
CptFantastic30 said:
As soon as the very first trailer for XIII came out, I had a strong suspicion it would be a crappy FF title, even if it was a solid game. Everything I've read since then and after release confirms my suspicions. I will never buy this game, and I will never recommend it to anyone.

lol, how could you recommend it to anyone if you haven't played it? laugh
MrColdShotta
MrColdShotta
Posted on 10 March 10 at 21:05
I think it would be a kinda introductory addition to the franchise. im about ten hours into it and lovin it but it cant live up to FF7
JoeInsidious
JoeInsidious
Posted on 10 March 10 at 23:32
L33tSpriggs said:
It's supposed to be a huge step down from the other Final Fantasy games. Not that I'm even a fan of Final Fantasy at all, but Yeah apparently it's not on par with the rest.
Waiting for my copy to pop in the mail but, I played a bit at a friends.. I wouldn't even compare it to later FF games.. it's not hardcore Final Fantasy anymore.. and SQ-EN have already said that it was a planned departure. It's not like older FFs because it isn't supposed to be.
Get Curb Stomped Fuckin' With My Turf Punk.
Drummin003
Drummin003
Posted on 11 March 10 at 00:43
The Globalizer said:
CptFantastic30 said:

Global, I'm glad you said something because I was kind of wondering the same thing.
Mr Teall
Mr Teall
Posted on 11 March 10 at 01:28
who knows...there might be a town or even an airship just round the corner!...

LOL

who am I kidding? ='[
Dimitri
Dimitri
Posted on 11 March 10 at 04:57
Drummin003 said:
The Globalizer said:
CptFantastic30 said:

Global, I'm glad you said something because I was kind of wondering the same thing.
Wouldn't any true fan play it regardless of any rumors about the game? I mean, I at least tried XI, hated it, but at least I tried it. Plus XIII is drop dead gorgeous and well worth checking out. At least try it before passing judgement.
Pure Chemical Gaming!
Hoffman
Hoffman
Posted on 11 March 10 at 06:13, Edited on 11 March 10 at 06:14 by Hoffman
XIII is a very good game for someone who's never played an RPG before, as it doesn't just throw you into a game and say "here ya go!" It weens you into it little by little. My friend is on disc 2, and is still getting little tutorials that come up once in a while.

The game seems to get progressively harder as you go, I went from killing things really fast at the beginning to having to work a bit harder now, about 2.5 hours into the game. I fought a boss recently that had a one-hit kill, and it took about 15 times before I finally got the right strategy.

The main character is very in-your-face, which is different than most Final Fantasies, and I have to say that the storyline definitely draws you in from the beginning. You might not understand who's fighting who, or why, but you can sympathize with the characters' plight.

In my opinion, I like this storyline over FFVII, but I prefer the "wait" style ATB of FFVII, as I can sit and think when I need to. I feel rushed to pick commands in this one. I assume I could just turn down the battle speed, but then the fights would take longer, and no one wants that.

With a couple hours into it, I'm giving it 4 stars so far.
Who wants a mustache ride?
Master Chaster
Posted on 11 March 10 at 07:10
So far I enjoy it. I just started disc 2 and it feels a lot like an interactive movie, more than anything. As far as living up to FF7 standards? Maybe not. But then again, I also feel that 7 is VERY overrated. Any love for 9 around here? Or even getting older with some 4, 5, and 6?!
CausticZabi
CausticZabi
Posted on 11 March 10 at 08:21
I still find 7 grossly overrated. Though with what I have seen from FF13 it blows 7 out of the water in terms of fun *things get better at around chapter 11, sucks that nearly half of the game is entirely linear*.

That being said my favorite final fantasies are 8, 9, and 10.
Draco86
Draco86
Posted on 11 March 10 at 08:38, Edited on 11 March 10 at 08:38 by Draco86
CausticZabi said:
*things get better at around chapter 11, sucks that nearly half of the game is entirely linear*.
Final Fantasy X was similar to this as well. It wasn't until after you got across the whole continent were you able to go back to places
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.