Game Discussion: Final Fantasy XIII Forum

Is Final Fantasy XIII as good as Final Fantasy 7?

AuthorMessage
Abylities
Abylities
Posted on 11 March 10 at 09:26
CausticZabi said:
I still find 7 grossly overrated. Though with what I have seen from FF13 it blows 7 out of the water in terms of fun *things get better at around chapter 11, sucks that nearly half of the game is entirely linear*.

That being said my favorite final fantasies are 8, 9, and 10.
I think it has a lot to do with your experience with the game.
I have fond memories of it, and found it to be a great game whilst playing it.
8 on the other hand, I forced myself to play and it didn't impress me much as a game; thus whenever I'm asked what I think of it, the answer is always 'not much'.

13 is slow. Slow slow slow. But the quality of the game is excellent.
(Alexisonline)
PoisonTheRivers
Posted on 11 March 10 at 13:17
DimitriRascalov said:
Drummin003 said:
The Globalizer said:
CptFantastic30 said:
As soon as the very first trailer for XIII came out, I had a strong suspicion it would be a crappy FF title, even if it was a solid game. Everything I've read since then and after release confirms my suspicions. I will never buy this game, and I will never recommend it to anyone.

My favorite FF titles were III (aka VI), VII, VIII, and XII.
lol, how could you recommend it to anyone if you haven't played it? laugh
Global, I'm glad you said something because I was kind of wondering the same thing.
Wouldn't any true fan play it regardless of any rumors about the game? I mean, I at least tried XI, hated it, but at least I tried it. Plus XIII is drop dead gorgeous and well worth checking out. At least try it before passing judgement.
I'm a huge FF fan, and I love the first few (NES and SNES) more than any of the others. I did play X and X-2 and found those somewhat enjoyable, although the main characters were a little whiny, and I also tried XI. XII was a deviation from the norm with the active battle system and gambits, but I felt that all changes were implemented very well without changing the core gameplay.

XIII, on the other hand, is almost nothing like any other FF title. There's a new battle system, you only control the actions of the main character, the game is mostly linear, so much so that you receive your first side-quest over halfway through the game, the characters are absolutely ridiculous....

And none of my decisions were made based on "rumors", I have several friends and one family member who bought the game. They've told me their reactions to the game and I've watched the first few hours of one of their playthroughs. I think I can safely say that this is not a true FF title. The only person I know who likes it is my cousin, and that's because he's 11 and doesn't know what FF is supposed to be.
SecondHeartbeat
Posted on 11 March 10 at 19:01, Edited on 11 March 10 at 19:02 by SecondHeartbeat
https://www.trueachievements.com/CptFantastic30.htm, when exactly are side quests introduced? I've just finished Chapter 7, have I missed any?
Shinerbock88
Shinerbock88
Posted on 11 March 10 at 20:54
Abylities said:
CausticZabi said:
I still find 7 grossly overrated. Though with what I have seen from FF13 it blows 7 out of the water in terms of fun *things get better at around chapter 11, sucks that nearly half of the game is entirely linear*.

That being said my favorite final fantasies are 8, 9, and 10.
I think it has a lot to do with your experience with the game.
I have fond memories of it, and found it to be a great game whilst playing it.
8 on the other hand, I forced myself to play and it didn't impress me much as a game; thus whenever I'm asked what I think of it, the answer is always 'not much'.

13 is slow. Slow slow slow. But the quality of the game is excellent.
I was really excited about FF8. I felt really good about playing it but in the end it sort of fell off. I replayed FF8 and it got better. Played it again and it got even better. The last two times I played it I quit Drawing so much and the game seemed less tedious and a lot smoother. It's not nearly as good as FF7 IMO, but it's definitely a good FF. I think there's more to FF8 than most gamers think storywise.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/Shinerbock88 (current project: ME2)
PoisonTheRivers
Posted on 11 March 10 at 23:39
Jiyuu17 said:
https://www.trueachievements.com/CptFantastic30.htm, when exactly are side quests introduced? I've just finished Chapter 7, have I missed any?
The side-quests are called Missions, and you get them from Cie Corpse in Pulse. I'm not sure where that is story-wise, so I can't tell you if you've passed one or not.
TheEpicPandemic
Posted on 11 March 10 at 23:59
CptFantastic30 said:
Jiyuu17 said:
The side-quests are called Missions, and you get them from Cie Corpse in Pulse. I'm not sure where that is story-wise, so I can't tell you if you've passed one or not.
You start finding the Ci'eth stones in chapter 11 I believe. They are similar to the marks from XII from what I can see. If they chose any form of sidequest, I prefer this one, almost garunteed there will be some awesome optional bosses.
Hoffman
Hoffman
Posted on 12 March 10 at 00:59
NO SPOILERS.
Who wants a mustache ride?
killswitchmad1
Posted on 12 March 10 at 01:32, Edited on 12 March 10 at 01:32 by killswitchmad1
I'm now about 20 hours in and can safely say this is one of my favourite FF's. All those downtrodden reviews are wrong, Yes the game is very linear to begin with but to be honest it's needed to teach the huge changes to the game, Once it gets going though this is easily up there with the best. smile
crazyforgaming.co.uk Come join the 18+ UK Gamers!
WrenDraco
WrenDraco
Posted on 12 March 10 at 02:30
My other half is the hardcore FF fan, but I've been watching him play so far and as someone that isn't really into the franchise I must say I find the game terribly pretty and interesting so far. I'm still way more enthusiastic about Dragon Age, because it's more my style, but I will probably give FFXIII a playthrough for the pretty and the story. That's gotta be worth something, right?
Sir Lazy Eye
Sir Lazy Eye
Posted on 12 March 10 at 10:07
killswitchmad1 said:
I'm now about 20 hours in and can safely say this is one of my favourite FF's. All those downtrodden reviews are wrong, Yes the game is very linear to begin with but to be honest it's needed to teach the huge changes to the game, Once it gets going though this is easily up there with the best. smile
I've been playin for 23 hours now and I tottaly agree with you, this is the best FF ever, no matter what everybody has to say. The story is like heaven smile and the fighting system is brilliant. thx Square clap
Shinwasha
Shinwasha
Posted on 12 March 10 at 15:28, Edited on 12 March 10 at 15:46 by Shinwasha
I've been playing the game for about 10 hours and every time I start to get into it something happens to make me put it down. I'm a big Final Fantasy fan and have been playing since I was 6. This is by far the Worst Final Fantasy I have ever played. I always love combat in Final Fantasy but this one makes me disgusted.

I hope in Final Fantasy 15 they go back to having towns, a controlable airship, maybe even a good job system, not this crap leveling system.
PoisonTheRivers
Posted on 12 March 10 at 15:44
Shinwasha said:
I've been playing the game for about 10 hours and every time I start to get into it something happens to make me put it down. I'm a big Final Fantasy fan and have been playing since I was 6. This is by far the Worst Final Fantasy I have ever played. I always love combat in Final Fantasy but this one makes disgusted.

I hope in Final Fantasy 15 they go back to having towns, a controlable airship, maybe even a good job system, not this crap leveling system.
AMEN.
Shinwasha
Shinwasha
Posted on 12 March 10 at 16:11, Edited on 12 March 10 at 17:37 by Shinwasha
Just so we're clear on what makes me disgusted is the combat system. Worst combat system EVER!!! And where are my Mini games?
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 12 March 10 at 17:06
Such mixed reviews, seems a real Marmite game. I don't know if I should get it or not.
VP of PR - GSSP. Simplifying the simple for the simple ("Zombies").

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 12 March 10 at 17:18, Edited on 12 March 10 at 17:21 by
UMM the game is linear because of the story square said it wouldn't make sense. your characters are pretty much on a time limit before they die, and it just doesn't make sense to stop in towns and stuff for about 3-4 hours, when your constantly on the run.

However, with that being said i think this game is amazing and i would probably put as my 3rd favorite FF title with X in first then 7 shortly afterwards. I can't stop playing this game it's incredible if your skeptical about buying it just borrow the first disc from a friend when they beat it, or rent it.

oh and i would rather Square change the franchise up like they have been doing instead of milking the series with the same stuff as previous ones.
albajos
albajos
Posted on 12 March 10 at 19:36, Edited on 12 March 10 at 19:39 by albajos
So you're ok with that they stop for Chocobo races when a meteor is on the way against the planet in 7, but it doesn't make sense here?

Well, the game is still a complete tutorial the first 30 hours. You don't get any freedom to buy whatever you want or grind your levels. And in the end all characters will have the same skills and stats so all personalized micromanagement is also gone.

This is basically a reuse of the battle dynamics of Final Fantasy X-2, but with even less freedom.

(as you all know, the original FF team is now at Mistwalker, so we did all expect changes, but to even remove the main OST Final Fantasy Theme, and rather throw in some contemapry music that will get outdated soon, only shows that they never planned this to be a timeless classic)
All work and no play makes Jos a dull boy.
Rainbow Cort
Rainbow Cort
Posted on 12 March 10 at 21:10
I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, and though it may be different than the other FF games, it is still a well done game. If this game had been released with any other name than FF I think a lot of opinions would be different. Also, the game being linear works for it not just because of the time restraints, but... Hmmm how do I say it without any spoilers? Well, it has to do with how people feel about the characters... I guess that works.
I just don't want to die without a few scars.
PoisonTheRivers
Posted on 14 March 10 at 21:52, Edited on 14 March 10 at 21:53 by PoisonTheRivers
K3DAMiiND TriKz said:
However, with that being said i think this game is amazing and i would probably put as my 3rd favorite FF title with X in first then 7
And there goes your credibility.
Shinerbock88
Shinerbock88
Posted on 14 March 10 at 22:35
CptFantastic30 said:
K3DAMiiND TriKz said:
However, with that being said i think this game is amazing and i would probably put as my 3rd favorite FF title with X in first then 7
Why is that? What makes his/her opinion of a game any less valid that yours or mine?
Check out http://www.youtube.com/Shinerbock88 (current project: FF13)
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 15 March 10 at 12:50
Shinerbock88 said:
CptFantastic30 said:
K3DAMiiND TriKz said:
Why is that? What makes his/her opinion of a game any less valid that yours or mine?
Spot on! I would rank FFX in my top three as well. I thought it was a very good game and the leveling up system was new and unique to the series. Also the monster arena extended the longevity of the game (even though it was still pretty long anyway).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.