Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Huge Activision Xbox LIVE Marketplace Sale

• wbswbs936,752
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 16:08
    Damn it I just bought Call of Duty Classic German version a few days ago and I bet these deals are not gold exclusive so I would have been able to take advantage of it on my silver German account angry
  • Posted on 03 October 12 at 16:51
    Just a little heads up, the Rezurrection DLC for Black Ops is broken, Loads of people are unable to play Moon (including me) after downloading Rezurrection, apparently activision already know
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 03 October 12 at 17:07
    I've been waiting for this day my whole life . . This day of COD 5 WAW DLC sale.
    Join 'True Completion Percentage' & 'True TA Ratio' Leaderboards if you've started 100 games
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper889,112
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 17:48
    Mobius Evalon said:
    PuckJunkie said:
    Mobius Evalon said:
    Original Prototype has challenges that are a pain in the ass for completion. If completion doesn't matter to you, it's a pretty fun parkouring hack and slash. I hear good things about WFC but I've never played it.
    Tomato, tomato. You say "pain in the ass for completion", I say, "the most fun and one of the most challenging completions on my card." Getting platinum on the trials was (mostly!) really fun, and for once playing the game on hard is actually difficult. I highly recommend this game. But no, it's not a quick completion. For that, go to Prototype 2, a total letdown in the difficulty department.
    The problem I have with challenges, time trials, collectables, etc. is that they're artificial gameplay lengthening. When a developer frets over whether the campaign they offered had significant length and gameplay value, they put padding in there to make it seem like you've purchased a worthwhile game. Prototype's campaign was decent enough, and now I know that some day I will have to spend more time than it took to run the campaign restarting challenges over and over until I receive platinum.

I do not find it fun to repeat challenges ad nauseum attempting to perfect them. One very specific example of challenges ruining games from my own experience was Modern Warfare 1. The campaign was one of the best I had ever played, then after restarting Mile High Club three hundred times for the achievement, the game left my console for the final time with a very sour memory attached to it. Without Mile High Club artificially lengthening the play time, I would have been able to fondly remember one of the best campaign experiences I ever had without having to involuntarily remember the horror of that god damned airplane interior.
    How is it "artificial lengthening"? What part about it is "artificial"? If you don't like repeating challenges over and over to perfect them, then ... don't. You're acting like you're forced to do them.
  • Posted on 03 October 12 at 18:04
    RadiantViper said:
    Mobius Evalon said:
    PuckJunkie said:
    Mobius Evalon said:
    Original Prototype has challenges that are a pain in the ass for completion. If completion doesn't matter to you, it's a pretty fun parkouring hack and slash. I hear good things about WFC but I've never played it.
    Tomato, tomato. You say "pain in the ass for completion", I say, "the most fun and one of the most challenging completions on my card." Getting platinum on the trials was (mostly!) really fun, and for once playing the game on hard is actually difficult. I highly recommend this game. But no, it's not a quick completion. For that, go to Prototype 2, a total letdown in the difficulty department.
    The problem I have with challenges, time trials, collectables, etc. is that they're artificial gameplay lengthening. When a developer frets over whether the campaign they offered had significant length and gameplay value, they put padding in there to make it seem like you've purchased a worthwhile game. Prototype's campaign was decent enough, and now I know that some day I will have to spend more time than it took to run the campaign restarting challenges over and over until I receive platinum.

I do not find it fun to repeat challenges ad nauseum attempting to perfect them. One very specific example of challenges ruining games from my own experience was Modern Warfare 1. The campaign was one of the best I had ever played, then after restarting Mile High Club three hundred times for the achievement, the game left my console for the final time with a very sour memory attached to it. Without Mile High Club artificially lengthening the play time, I would have been able to fondly remember one of the best campaign experiences I ever had without having to involuntarily remember the horror of that god damned airplane interior.
    How is it "artificial lengthening"? What part about it is "artificial"? If you don't like repeating challenges over and over to perfect them, then ... don't. You're acting like you're forced to do them.
    If you're playing to completion, then you are forced to do them.

The point is, if developers want to add more game, they should add, y'know, more game. Instead, challenges and the such make you repeat one activity or one area of the map a million times.
    Potatoes are friggin' magical. Can you power an alarm clock with a carrot? No, sir.
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 18:28
    Mobius Evalon said:

The point is, if developers want to add more game, they should add, y'know, more game. Instead, challenges and the such make you repeat one activity or one area of the map a million times.
    Ah yes, I forgot, the Xbox 360 was designed so that you can't take a game of of the disc tray until you get 1000 gamerscore in it, right? roll And it's really not as simple as "adding more to the game". Game developers are businesses, and they run on a budget.
  • Posted on 03 October 12 at 18:43
    RadiantViper said:
    Mobius Evalon said:

It's really not as simple as "adding more to the game". Game developers are businesses, and they run on a budget.
    That budget is often spent on things that could otherwise be funneled back into a positive campaign experience -- multiplayer sucks up tons of funding and time and detracts from the campaign, as can be really clearly seen in titles like AC Revelations. In Radical's case on Prototype, it was likely just a matter of not enough cash from trying out a new IP that could have just as easily flopped hard. I hear Prototype 2 is a lot shorter, and that's likely due to a comparison that includes all of the extra time spent on getting the platinum challenge achievement in the first title. If that's the case, I consider both games equal in quality and gameplay experience.
    Potatoes are friggin' magical. Can you power an alarm clock with a carrot? No, sir.
  • Dark Rocky XDark Rocky X929,831
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 19:01
    Damn.... Was waiting on Collection 3 for MW3 to go on sale.... oh well
    We work in the Dark, To serve the Light. We are Assassins!!! "Insieme per la vittoria"
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic424,095
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 19:35, Edited on 03 October 12 at 19:38 by Rhyolitic
    matdan12 said:
    Yeah I noticed somethings from G1 in the achievement titles, may go for that one as Prototype keeps changing price.
    Such as, "Wait! I still function!" being a reference to Megatron getting kicked out of Astrotrain, "More Than Meets The Eye" being one of the taglines from the series, and "First We Crack The Shell" being one of Rumble's lines from the '86 movie (iirc).

I also think that I saw a very subtle nod to Beast Wars.

*SPOILER MAYBE*

Someone else would have to check, but it looked like at one point when they were taking a look at Earth in the data before leaving, that it had two moons, specifically, in the bit with Grimlock in the control tower where they fix Snarl. If you're at all familiar with Beast Wars, is a very big plot point. I may just have been seeing it wrong or misinterpreting it, as it could've been showing Cybertron on one side of the portal and Earth/Moon on the other.
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 19:50
    Mobius Evalon said:
    RadiantViper said:
    Mobius Evalon said:

It's really not as simple as "adding more to the game". Game developers are businesses, and they run on a budget.
    That budget is often spent on things that could otherwise be funneled back into a positive campaign experience -- multiplayer sucks up tons of funding and time and detracts from the campaign, as can be really clearly seen in titles like AC Revelations. In Radical's case on Prototype, it was likely just a matter of not enough cash from trying out a new IP that could have just as easily flopped hard. I hear Prototype 2 is a lot shorter, and that's likely due to a comparison that includes all of the extra time spent on getting the platinum challenge achievement in the first title. If that's the case, I consider both games equal in quality and gameplay experience.
    Your post completely changes the subject and has almost nothing to do with what I posted, and ignores half of it entirely. Plus I highly doubt that most people comparing the playtimes for the 2 games even tried to get the platinums.
  • iTz CRUSHERiTz CRUSHER615,052
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 21:06
    Not sure why Collection 3 or 4 were not added to the "HUGE sale." would have bought those. Oh well. warning shock
  • Posted on 03 October 12 at 21:56
    RadiantViper said:
    Mobius Evalon said:
    RadiantViper said:
    Mobius Evalon said:

Your post completely changes the subject and has almost nothing to do with what I posted, and ignores half of it entirely. Plus I highly doubt that most people comparing the playtimes for the 2 games even tried to get the platinums.
    You said games have a budget to stay within, I said those budget dollars could be allocated in a better fashion than they typically are, then proceeded to make a comparison to Revelations. The Prototype 2 comment may be trailing a bit.

And I try to make a point to not address condescending comments. When that starts happening, you've reached an ideological impasse with the other party and pursuing the topic tends not to end well.
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • NyxilNyxil338,932
    Posted on 03 October 12 at 22:04
    I never picked up WaW because I heard the campaign was annoyingly difficult, and I would only really pick it up for the zombies, which I would have to pay a lot extra for, but now the map pack bundle is on sale and I just happen to have 1000 points lying around... hmmm...
  • VegaDark541VegaDark541335,261
    Posted on 04 October 12 at 00:44
    Is it just me, or is there no link or notification of this sale on the dashboard? (I'm in the beta, so comments from others in the beta regarding this would be helpful)
  • matdanmatdan794,696
    Posted on 04 October 12 at 01:06
    VegaDark541 said:
    Is it just me, or is there no link or notification of this sale on the dashboard? (I'm in the beta, so comments from others in the beta regarding this would be helpful)
    Then no you don't get any of that in the beta.
  • Q u 4 lK eQ u 4 lK e684,210
    Posted on 04 October 12 at 03:01
    CoD Classic and Arkadian for me.
    Posted on 04 October 12 at 03:47
    Mobius Evalon said:
    You said games have a budget to stay within, I said those budget dollars could be allocated in a better fashion than they typically are, then proceeded to make a comparison to Revelations. The Prototype 2 comment may be trailing a bit.

And I try to make a point to not address condescending comments. When that starts happening, you've reached an ideological impasse with the other party and pursuing the topic tends not to end well.
    Revelations has nothing to do with the game we were talking about, so the comparison fails. And your second paragraph basically translates as "I ran out of things to say because my argument didn't make sense".
  • Posted on 04 October 12 at 06:41
    This is false. I got [PROTOTYPE] for $9.99 through this. Loving it.
  • CASS190684CASS190684245,027
    Posted on 04 October 12 at 07:51
    Think I will pick up CoD Classic later tonight :)
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
  • BadBoyBungleBadBoyBungle411,764
    Posted on 04 October 12 at 09:43
    Love the way that some games are cheaper in dollars than in sterling. Yet one more reason to emigrate....
    reverbnation.com/bigbadbungle
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.