Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

EA Announces More Server Shutdowns

• ADaughenADaughen393,581
    Posted on 19 March 12 at 18:10
    The Devil 696 said:
    I refuse now to buy EA games. The main reason, being the server shut downs. I bought Gears 3, and I'm better four years from now, i'll still be enjoying playing online with it. Smackdown vs Raw 2007 and 2008 I both bought and still enjoy playing with my CAW online. Dynasty Warriors 7 again another game I bought new, £45 and still enjoy playing online. Army of Two, a game I would love to play with my gaming buddy, I dare not buy. I believe the servers are already shut down for it, rendering online gameplay impossible, not to mention the achievements. I know they have to cut costs, but why not host the severs on a pay monthly basis. I certainly wouldn't mind paying say £5-£10 a month to play there games online. Fifa, now I'm not a football fan, but playing over Live, listening to my mate when she's losing is fun and entertaining. But I have to fork out £40 just for that simple pleasure, as the old ones have no online anymore. I think a petition is the way forwards for now. We can all but try.
    Army of Two is down. Went down August 11, 2011. You can play system link, but no longer play on XBL.

Army of Two: The 40th Day will be axed sooner than later.
  • Posted on 19 March 12 at 19:42
    Mr Rodster said:
    alklein92201 said:
    onionbhargee said:
    why is it that wen dlc with new achievements comes out they are immediatley added to gamercard wether you intend on buying it or not, but when achieves are made unobtainable they arent removed from gamercard.
    So everyone has the same achievement list (obtainable or not) as everyone else. With the exception of Reach, where Anniversary DLC achievements require having the Anniversary pack to make the achievements appear.
    I was going to go the more cynical route and suggest that they do it to get you to buy the DLC....
    I would have gone the more "asshole" route and say that per the companies perspective that you should have purchased the game day 1 (like they want) and had been playing till now, then you should already have those online achievements, so it shouldn't matter that they are closing the servers.

But from my perspective, as long as the console the game is on is being supported so should the online servers regardless of how many people are still playing it. And I (like a lot of others) don't have the money to buy every single game day 1. I tend to rent a lot or by games when they drop in price to around the $20-$30 range (or lower). And sometimes its a year after a game is released that I finally get around to playing it (or even buying it), because I just didn't have the money or it finally become available on my rental list and was sent to me.

EA has made some great games, but they are (in my opinion) douchebags who don't care about their customers. I know that companies make/sell things to make money and make a profit. Without it they can't continue. So I don't get pissed off when a game has on-disc DLC or DLC that is announced/released shortly after the game comes out. Because I know that the company wants to make money. But in EA's case, I think the majority of their game sales comes from the sports titles, since a new version is released every year. And they get you to buy the new one by shutting down the servers for the old ones.

Just imagine what's going to happen when EA decides to shut down the online server for Mass Effect 3.
  • grex9101grex9101395,974
    Posted on 19 March 12 at 22:21
    FUNERAL PYRE said:
    BOYCOTT EA GAMES. DONT BUY THEM ANYMORE. PUT BOYCOTT IS YOUR XBOX PROFILE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT TO GAMERS. WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS CRAP ANYMORE. GOOD GAMING. WATCH OUT ROCKSTAR AND THQ YOU ARE NEXT ON MY HIT LIST.
    Actually, that's not a bad idea....

Guys - Put "BOYCOTT EA/SERVER CLOSURES" in your motto/etc

Start a movement smile
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN349,377
    Posted on 19 March 12 at 22:24
    OK It is in true that - The Saboteur has no online achievements, but losing access to The Midnight Club will mean you wont be able to acces some single player parts/portions of the game if you don´t get them before April 13Th.
  • DigiTekhDigiTekh783,392
    Posted on 19 March 12 at 22:49
    I plan on some burnout revenge time
  • CONKER1182CONKER1182544,996
    Posted on 20 March 12 at 00:04
    I all the online achievements in Create done. That was to easy.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 21 March 12 at 05:00
    If anybody need the folowing achievements I will be on all saturday for Burnout Revenge

1 - Settle the score 100 times with a player
    2 - win 40 crash events
    3 - win 50 races
    Posted on 21 March 12 at 13:42
    PiCkLE SQU1D said:
    If anybody need the folowing achievements I will be on all saturday for Burnout Revenge

1 - Settle the score 100 times with a player
    2 - win 40 crash events
    3 - win 50 races
    I can help with these and others if you catch me on.

If you don't have the 2 takedowns from above or the 5 takedowns in a row, they are easier to do with a human partner.
  • Posted on 21 March 12 at 15:22
    ADaughen said:
    If you don't have the 2 takedowns from above or the 5 takedowns in a row, they are easier to do with a human partner.
    I tried the 2 takedowns from above with a human player. I would never say Vertical Takedown, just Takedown. Even when I would land right on top of them. I figured it had to be done in single player.
    Posted on 21 March 12 at 18:18
    Unfcnbleevibl said:
    ADaughen said:
    I tried the 2 takedowns from above with a human player. I would never say Vertical Takedown, just Takedown. Even when I would land right on top of them. I figured it had to be done in single player.
    I don't have it yet, but I have helped others out with it online. Takes some effort, but totally doable.
  • Posted on 22 March 12 at 22:59
    Forgive me if this was already answered. How will the server shutdown affect The Godfather II?
    Posted on 23 March 12 at 13:25
    powercollector said:
    Forgive me if this was already answered. How will the server shutdown affect The Godfather II?
    I think you could play mplayer where everyone gets a different family/zone and has to attack the others sort of king of the hill.

There were no online achievements for it, thankfully.
  • Posted on 25 March 12 at 07:28
    I in no way personally support their practices in theory, no matter how much sense they make from a purely business standpoint.

However what they're really doing is:

By shutting down servers of older games, they "force" you to buy their newer titles in order to remain online.

Don't expect them to admit to this, ever.

If they ever even say it's to save money on older games' servers, that minor truth is a miniscule consideration beside what they think they can potentially gain with the "forced" increase to sales of new.

_That's_ how truly skewed towards pure profit their mindset is. EA and _every_ corporation out there.

alklein92201 said:
    More cynical indeed. I've mentioned several times on the forums, but I really don't get where the thought came from that achievements play a noticeable part in companies' decision-making process when it comes to money.
    Dark Void. DLC initially did not have Achievements. Then when they were added they actually made sales .... only to completionists.
  • D GrimD Grim282,495
    Posted on 25 March 12 at 23:09
    My idea for a solution would be to make a server for the old games & put them on a two month rotational system so that every two months there's a different game that people could still get the achievements they still need for that particular game & i'm sure many people would agree with me.
    http://www.lusogamer.com/live/default/gamercard_tombraider/D+Grim.png
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,168,613
    Posted on 25 March 12 at 23:37
    D Grim said:
    My idea for a solution would be to make a server for the old games & put them on a two month rotational system so that every two months there's a different game that people could still get the achievements they still need for that particular game & i'm sure many people would agree with me.
    For achievement hunters, yes. But EA isn't going to spend money just for achievement hunters. And I doubt there is a noticeable number of non-hunters that would want their games on a cycle -- especially one so short. Most would be too lazy to keep track of what was up and when, and just go ahead and buy the next game.
  • Posted on 26 March 12 at 06:49
    Create took me a week to 100%. Probably 30 hours
    Posted from TrueAchievements Mobile
  • ScuzzyBunnyScuzzyBunny1,169,966
    Posted on 28 March 12 at 03:08, Edited on 28 March 12 at 03:09 by ScuzzyBunny
    Dark Void DLC DID have acheivements...but no one submitted them to xbox.com or patched the game, so they were never attainable until it finally got fixed. It was advertised and listed as having achvs, they were just in limbo, and slow sales didn't encourage a quick fix.

I'm confused over Saboteur...I thought the midnight club was something I downloaded, not something on a server. Even bigger douche move if they are shutting down servers that actually unreward your pre-order bonus from a SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!
    Killer Punks...all that needs to be said.
  • blackstockcblackstockc448,333
  • Mickey BurnsMickey Burns371,057
    Posted on 28 March 12 at 21:02
    I am pretty sure I hate Comcast much much MUCH more than EA.
  • Posted on 29 March 12 at 13:08
    Mickey Burns said:
    I am pretty sure I hate Comcast much much MUCH more than EA.
    I remember having Comcast when living in NJ. And ofter moving, I can say that Time Warner and Insight are just the same as them.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.