Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Microsoft Announces Joy Ride Turbo

• Loch DounLoch Doun227,555
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 11:53, Edited on 01 May 12 at 12:01 by Loch DounPermalink
    Tantric Monkeys said:
    Kravex Ectar said:
    Loch Doun said:
    To clarify: the game was never gonna be "free", just "f2p".
    Which means to unlock achievements (and have more than 1 track/1 car) you would need to buy tracks and cars individually.
    Paying 800 points for everything upfront is much, much better and a lot cheaper in the long run.
    It is amazing how many people forgot that this was going to be a micro transaction game from the start.
    That is wrong. When first announced it was to be totally free so that they could push there avatar thing,items would be unlocked via the game and buy able in the dash board. You could 100% the game without having to pay a penny just like dash of destruction, crash course, etc
    No, you are wrong.
    You can't even imagine just how wrong you are.
    (a lot of people in this thread are wrong and misinformed)
    Observe:
    http://kotaku.com/5274698/xbla-getting-free-dlc+supported-ra...
    "even though the base game is free, players will be able to PAY to download new tracks, game modes"

That sure sounds a lot to me like: download a glorified demo for free with only 1 playable track, 1 playable kart and little to no unlockable achievements until you buy something.
    (Crimson Alliance, Game Room and Pinball FX 2 were all technically "free", right?)

I'd much rather pay 800 points for everything than pay 400 points for each track.
    So stop whining about something that never existed in the first place; except in your wildest fantasies.
  • NickHawkeyeNickHawkeye178,287
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 12:25Permalink
    ahh the way racing was meant to be, with a controller!
  • DaeryoonDaeryoon403,524
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 13:17Permalink
    MarioKart for XBLA...
  • AccelerettoAcceleretto141,726
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 14:19Permalink
    This was announced at the start of my degree, and now I'm finishing it...how time has flown. This looks like it's showing its age too.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 01 May 12 at 14:53Permalink
    Daeryoon said:
    MarioKart for XBLA...
    If it has a decent battle mode I'll be getting it day 1.

And by 'decent' I mean 'of Mario 64 quality and not that awful Gamecube travesty'.
  • litepinklitepink287,828
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 15:16Permalink
    Hedfix said:
    Daeryoon said:
    MarioKart for XBLA...
    If it has a decent battle mode I'll be getting it day 1.

And by 'decent' I mean 'of Mario 64 quality and not that awful Gamecube travesty'.
    Mario Kart Double Dash on Gamecube is among my favorite games, and my top pick of the series. I don’t think I EVER played it single player though, always always co-op.

Having played and nearly completed Kinect Joy Ride, I don’t think I could compare it to Mario Kart, especially if we’re talking on behalf of Battle modes and powerups. I’ll get Turbo on day one, but it won’t have a spot in my heart like the Mario Kart series does.
    My TA Deal Blog: http://tinyurl.com/6t8nzpd
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 01 May 12 at 16:16Permalink
    Yeah the co-op was the best bit, really found the battle mode to be a letdown, they were far too few and they were too small and simple: one of them was just a square so it had the feel of 'chucked in at the last minute'.
  • litepinklitepink287,828
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 16:22Permalink
    Hedfix said:
    Yeah the co-op was the best bit, really found the battle mode to be a letdown, they were far too few and they were too small and simple: one of them was just a square so it had the feel of 'chucked in at the last minute'.
    Yeah, I do recall the Battle Mode being lackluster in that one, SNES + N64 battle were far better. I don’t think there’s anything like that on Xbox 360 sadly.
    My TA Deal Blog: http://tinyurl.com/6t8nzpd
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 01 May 12 at 16:51Permalink
    litepink said:
    Hedfix said:
    Yeah, I do recall the Battle Mode being lackluster in that one, SNES + N64 battle were far better. I don’t think there’s anything like that on Xbox 360 sadly.
    Which is a shame because it's such a no-brainer. I figured we'd get a decent clone from Rare at somepoint since they used to copy the Ninty magic of old.
  • NBA KirklandNBA Kirkland1,089,375
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 21:11Permalink
    I may be late to the party on this one (judging by the number of views), but this video is pretty amusing. The picture-in-picture of the guy cracks me up.
    Kinect Joyride video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbLOFGSEDo
  • NBA KirklandNBA Kirkland1,089,375
    Posted on 01 May 12 at 21:20Permalink
    litepink said:
    Having played and nearly completed Kinect Joy Ride, I don’t think I could compare it to Mario Kart, especially if we’re talking on behalf of Battle modes and powerups.
    You need to complete that! I picked up a copy of Joy Ride as well since I'm getting over my bitterness towards it and I need to do some muscle toning in my arms. smile
  • Posted on 02 May 12 at 08:13Permalink
    Tantric Monkeys said:
    Kravex Ectar said:
    Loch Doun said:
    To clarify: the game was never gonna be "free", just "f2p".
    Which means to unlock achievements (and have more than 1 track/1 car) you would need to buy tracks and cars individually.
    Paying 800 points for everything upfront is much, much better and a lot cheaper in the long run.
    It is amazing how many people forgot that this was going to be a micro transaction game from the start.
    That is wrong. When first announced it was to be totally free so that they could push there avatar thing,items would be unlocked via the game and buy able in the dash board. You could 100% the game without having to pay a penny just like dash of destruction, crash course, etc
    Actually it's not wrong,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IIfCZsH4IQ

"The microtransaction model that Joy Ride sports might raise a few eyebrows. Though the game is free, you'll have to pay to get some of the more desirable content. That includes cars, Avatar clothing and game modes. Some of these will be free while others will come at a price. No final details are available as to how many modes or cars will be available for free. Thankfully, BigPark is structuring the game so that anybody can enjoy it, even if they don't' want to pay a dime. If one of your friends buys a new course to race on or mode to play, you can play on it without ponying up a dime. As long as one person owns the content, anybody can use it."
  • Posted on 02 May 12 at 08:38Permalink
    this is the free a avatar game we were waiting for, for so so long. until they made it for kinect and charged for it! i wonder if they'll have the cheak to charge for this or if they'll remember what they promised up a couple of years back........
    ok ok i've got one....... whats the difference between jam and marmalade?
  • Posted on 02 May 12 at 13:17Permalink
    Okay...
  • Loch DounLoch Doun227,555
    Posted on 02 May 12 at 15:17Permalink
    maiden of haste said:
    this is the free a avatar game we were waiting for, for so so long. until they made it for kinect and charged for it! i wonder if they'll have the cheak to charge for this or if they'll remember what they promised up a couple of years back........
    You need to read my previous post... this game was NEVER GONNA BE FREE.
  • DwaggieniteDwaggienite2,117,296
    Posted on 04 May 12 at 05:25Permalink
    Obsidian Rocker said:
    So, it's basically Joy Ride as it was supposed to be before MS had a bucket full of bricks dropped on their heads? Perhaps now I'll actually buy it. It's been a while since I've played a good arcade style racer.
    This 100%.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.