Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Kinect Sports Gems on Sale [UPDATE]

• punkyliarpunkyliar294,809
  • Posted on 14 May 13 at 22:35
    Eh.
    Heroes never die
  • Team BretherTeam Brether1,522,475
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 22:48, Edited on 14 May 13 at 23:48 by Team Brether
    The bowling is free in the sales and specials part of the dash, for this week only, explains why it isn't on sale.

Browse games -> Sales and specials -> Gems

Scrap that, it's just a trial
  • onemorechanconemorechanc630,732
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 14 May 13 at 22:52
    oh sure why not
  • FailedSeppukuFailedSeppuku1,839,214
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 22:54
    Battle Fantasia is awesome and isn't available in the UK, still its cheap enough to buy a boxed version over here!
    200 achievements on old games for 1% increase.... soon be 90% >_<
  • Fadi kunFadi kun422,797
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:03
    I'd buy all of them except $16 for 400 GS still sounds too much. Maybe I'll just buy what would mildly interest me...
  • Achilles8249Achilles8249916,356
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:03
    Ive never even heard of this company till now, and they've been around for 25 years now? It must be a very small company.
  • Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:13
    Achilles8249 said:
    Ive never even heard of this company till now, and they've been around for 25 years now? It must be a very small company.
    I may be wrong but I believe they are almost exclusively fighting game makers (and most of their games are on a lot of the top lists for said games)
  • CornerscoutCornerscout617,519
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:36, Edited on 14 May 13 at 23:49 by Cornerscout
    DaddyLongLigs said:
    The bowling is free in the sales and specials part of the dash, for this week only, explains why it isn't on sale.

I can confirm this. I'm actually downloading it right now. Wouldn't it suck though if "Free for this week only" actually meant that even if you download it, after this week it changes to a trial and you have to buy it?

Ok, after downloading it I opened up the game details and it says it's only a trial. It also says that in my download history. Weak.
    I'm A YouTube Partner! - http://www.youtube.com/user/IYellAtVideoGames
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42836,639
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:38, Edited on 14 May 13 at 23:42 by MathGuy42
    DaddyLongLigs said:

Unfortunately, this is only a Trial, which is typical for the KS Gems. At least my Download History says Trial Game. If it turns out to be a full game after it finishes downloading, I'll report back.

Each week MS only offers one of the 9 Gems as a free trial. The Dashboard description certainly is misleading. Many others, including myself, have incorrectly thought a KS Gem was being offered for Free.

onemorechanc said:
    "10 Frame Bowling" is showing up at 160 MS Points in the Canadian marketplace:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/10-Frame-Bowling/6...

I'd rather get access to the sales & specials app though ... free is always better.
    Thanks for the CA link. It adds evidence that Bowling is supposed to be on sale too.

I believe DaddyLongLigs was referring to a tile on the Dashboard. The Sales & Specials App has been discontinued. When I tried to run the App recently, I saw a message that the App was no longer functional and it actually deleted itself! If you use an App with achievements (like Karaoke or Kinect Playfit), make sure to get them quickly.
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:39
    Cornerscout said:
    DaddyLongLigs said:

I can confirm this. I'm actually downloading it right now. Wouldn't it suck though if "Free for this week only" actually meant that even if you download it, after this week it changes to a trial and you have to buy it?
    Yep i'm wary of that after being caught out with Kinect Party. Best complete it this week...
    Posted on 14 May 13 at 23:47
    This post contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 00:48, Edited on 15 May 13 at 00:49 by MathGuy42
    DaddyLongLigs said:
    Yep you are right, it's a trial, very misleading :S
    While this is a Trial, you can buy it for 160 MSP in-game. I won the first 3 missions, getting me to Level One. I was then asked if I wanted to buy the game to keep my achievement. The price came up as 160 MSP. I made the purchase and the first achievement unlocked.

Perhaps Bowling is also 160 MSP on the console Dashboard now, but it wasn't the last time I checked.
  • CASS190684CASS190684263,678
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 00:57
    MathGuy42 said:
    DaddyLongLigs said:

Unfortunately, this is only a Trial, which is typical for the KS Gems. At least my Download History says Trial Game. If it turns out to be a full game after it finishes downloading, I'll report back.

Each week MS only offers one of the 9 Gems as a free trial. The Dashboard description certainly is misleading. Many others, including myself, have incorrectly thought a KS Gem was being offered for Free.
    This. Yep, I've done the same thing with the basketball one a while back. Said on the dashboard it was free but it only turned out to be the trial, despite there being NOWHERE where it stated it was the trial version only. False advertising.

As for the actual "games", are these worth 160MSP? How long would it takes to finish one? I'm thinking about maybe just getting the tennis one but not sure how much gameplay I'd actually get out of it?
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
  • CornerscoutCornerscout617,519
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 01:20
    CASS190684 said:
    As for the actual "games", are these worth 160MSP? How long would it takes to finish one? I'm thinking about maybe just getting the tennis one but not sure how much gameplay I'd actually get out of it?
    Worth 160 MSP? I don't know, that's pretty debatable. I usually just spend my free points from Bing Rewards on them. As for how long/easy they are: It's almost a joke. You could probably finish several of them in a night. A few hours of gameplay a piece at MOST.

Personally, I've played Golf and Darts. I thought Darts was shit but Golf was pretty fun.
    I'm A YouTube Partner! - http://www.youtube.com/user/IYellAtVideoGames
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 01:26, Edited on 15 May 13 at 01:27 by MathGuy42
    CASS190684 said:
    I've only played Ski Race and Darts vs Zombies so far. I had fun with Ski Race, but DvZ was frustrating due to Kinect not always registering my throws. I didn't time myself, but I'm guessing each game would take 2-4 hours to complete. Each game is just one mini-game type of KS 1 or 2.

Each game has 10 levels. You gain levels by earning stars; you earn stars by completing missions. Unfortunately, you can only have 3 missions active at a time, so you can only make modest progress on each attempt. It can be especially frustrating if you got lucky and completed a hard task which wasn't an active mission, only to be unable to repeat your luck. This is what has happened to me in DvZ; I got to Wave 16 once, but I need to do it again to complete the game.

With a modicum of skill and patience, I think anyone can reach level 8 and hence get at least 8 out of 10 of the achievements. Some of these may be hard to complete for some though. I finished Ski Race, but I'm stuck at 9/10 on DvZ. If someone buys all 9, I'm sure they can finish some of them.

Are they worth 160 MSP? If you really liked Kinect Sports, want some easy achievements, and want some medium difficulty game completions, then I'd say yes. I've bought them all now that they are on sale.

But don't expect much replayability. To have a wider variety of games to play, I'd suggest buying Kinect Sports Ultimate Collection itself. Each type of sport will have multiple mini-games, as well as more standard ways to play (for example, a simulated darts game instead of just Darts vs Zombies).
  • BigNev44BigNev441,932,179
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 02:21
    I'M ON IT!
  • CASS190684CASS190684263,678
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 03:19
    Thanks Cornerscout and MathGuy42 - I might just grab one or two for now. I'd be happy with 2-3 hours gameplay as I have got some free points from the rewards program, plus I got my last few lots of MSP really, really cheap anyway.
    I don't actually own a Kinect but I will have access to one for the next few months, so that's why I thought some smaller games might be better for me, rather than starting the retail Kinect Sports games. They sound like they could be good for a rainy day or when I'm in between games or just don't know what to play :)
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
  • Patriot65108Patriot65108850,509
    Posted on 15 May 13 at 06:42
    Is BlazBlue: Calamity Triger any good? It's only $10 and I'm considering it but not sure about it. The only fighting games I've played are Mortal Kombat series and thought they were decent, but I'm pretty crappy at them, so if the game is hard, it'd make it frustrating to do the cheevos.
    [url=http://raptr.com/rdwolf260?src=em_all][img]http://raptr.com/badge/rdwolf260/fs_overall.png[/img
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads