Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

EA Puts Fight Night Franchise On Hold

• Mr GranstaffMr Granstaff1,534,108
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 13:22
    ^ I am forced to agree. Unfortunately, that's the perception of someone who isn't knowledgeable in mixed martial arts. I'm guilty of saying, "let's roll around" when I'm training in jiu-jitsu with my peers, so...maybe it's our fault for misspeaking? smile
    Rollus Tidus
  • Sensei NeoSensei Neo1,201,600
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 13:56
    DOOM The Return said:
    Sensei Neo said:
    MMA is great if you like watching 2 men roll around on the floor together...
    Ignorant implication of the year. Good job, pal. wink
    Well I am a Black Belt in Karate so I do have some knowledge of Martial Arts...

Just wish they would use a standing-only rule or make it more like traditional Kumite.

Then we would truly see a fighters skill, technique & balance.
  • USMC 90 95USMC 90 95492,605
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 14:03
    How in the world does this turn into an argument about cavemen?
    I HATE BOOSTERS.
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 14:15, Edited on 28 May 13 at 14:17 by Mr Granstaff
    Sensei Neo said:
    DOOM The Return said:
    Sensei Neo said:
    Well I am a Black Belt in Karate so I do have some knowledge of Martial Arts...

Just wish they would use a standing-only rule or make it more like traditional Kumite.

Then we would truly see a fighters skill, technique & balance.
    I don't agree with the 'standing only rule.' I know you understand this, but to make my point, it's called mixed martial arts for a reason, not Karata/Tae Kwon Do, 'standing only' martial arts. For me personally, that's why I transitioned from a Tae Kwon Do background into MMA because I was getting burned out of always standing up. Sometimes I'd rather take someone down, break their will, and submit them - even though knocking someone down with a punch or kick is equally as satisfying.

Plus, for a good while now, I have seen the officials make the fighters stand back up if it looks like one of them are stalling, which is nice because it is painful to watch when a fighter does that to cruise by with an eventual victory via judge's decision. They should enforce this more regularly in my opinion.

Then again, it's almost like a chess match when someone is defending an attempted submission hold and I can see a novice fan getting bored watching that particular aspect of the sport and label it as "rolling around." For someone who understands the technical side of the sport, appreciates it for what it's worth, especially when trivial things are in motion, like when a fighter baits the other one into a sweep for a more dominant position.

Anyway, that's my two cents - maybe I threw in a few more coins, but whatever. smile
    Rollus Tidus
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 14:29
    ^ Yeh fair comment bud....

I have just never understood the need for throws & grapples.

Thats just wrestling to me...

If you throw a man to the ground he can likely just get up again.

One good punch & that is not the case.

Also I think if I am in a position to be thrown or grappled then I have already failed to anticipate my opponent.

But anyway - yeh this is probably off-topic enough by now. laugh
  • Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:00
    JJ BOMBAY said:
    evilernie667 said:
    You sir, are an idiot! Pancration was seen as a sport by the Greeks, with defined rules, as opposed to two caveman fightin over food/women/shelter. Oh and Cavemen existed a good 100.000 years before our species, the homo sapiens, they only co-existed a short period, until the cavemen went extinct due to the fact that the homo sapiens was way more intelligent. So yeah, comparing cavemen fighting each other and a different species having a sporting event is quite lacking, but nice try anyway...
    You sir, are an idiot! I said cavemen, not Neanderthal. Are you telling me that homo sapiens showed up on Earth knowing how to build homes and throw submission holds? I think they started out living in caves and throwing punches. By the way, there are still people living in caves today and punching is a component of most fighting disciplines. Use your brain, bad try anyway....
    Brilliant try JJ BOMGAY!

However, the truth is, and I have factual prove via the Dead Sea Scrolls that Boxing was indeed not first. It was a form of MMA performed by Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden called Nakegrappilation. Adam would constantly work to perfect his rear naked choke on Eve. And, fun fact, his favorite way to finish Eve was to give her a Peruvian Necktie.

So, MMA was better and first...

/end thread
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:13
    @ Sensei Neo

laugh Yeah, a bit off topic! At least it's not personal attacks. I hate that...

That's very true that one could get right back up if thrown down to the ground, but I've been taught to follow that up with pressure, make them feel uncomfortable, continue to hold them down, and work in a submission hold or just pummel them. And, you're right to a certain degree when you mention the similarities between wrestling and grappling - it's great to have a wrestling background to succeed in MMA, so it's easy for them to pick up grappling, which helps in all sorts of ways - when they're pressed up against the cage, susceptible to 'dirty boxing' and even applying a 'plum grip' and attack them with strikes similar to Muay Thai style.

And, it's unfortunate to fighters, but as the saying goes, everyone has a 'puncher's chance' so I agree with you on that point. It just depends on that person's recovery capabilities - and chin, whether it's made out of granite or glass!

I'm sure that's what James Toney was thinking when he fought Randy Couture a few years ago. "If I can only hit him once." While, Randy was thinking, "I don't want to get hit, so I'll just take him down." And, he did and submitted him.
    Rollus Tidus
  • Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:21
    Sensei Neo said:
    ^ Yeh fair comment bud....

I have just never understood the need for throws & grapples.

Thats just wrestling to me...

If you throw a man to the ground he can likely just get up again.

One good punch & that is not the case.

Also I think if I am in a position to be thrown or grappled then I have already failed to anticipate my opponent.

But anyway - yeh this is probably off-topic enough by now. laugh
    Honestly, sounds like you just need to watch karate tournaments. Besides, sometimes "one good punch" isn't enough.
    My teeth taste funny today. They seem more jagged than normal.
  • litepinklitepink295,840
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:26
    DTI April said:
    On a slightly unrelated note, I want to express my concern at the choice of front page carousel picture for this new article. I personally despise UFC etc because 'in my opinion' it is barbaric and watching it makes me feel physically sick.

This isn't a 'UFC should be made illegal' post or even me attempting to draw debate. I appreciate that it is a legitimate consensual and skilled sport, but it is quite graphically violent and therefore offensive to a lot of people, including myself.

The choice of image for this news article is pretty graphic, and even though it's an animation it's fairly realistic, and I really don't like it. I also wonder how appropriate it might be for any children visiting the website.
    hmmmmmm

Well, on one hand, I disagree with the sentiment that the image is too graphic. The site openly operates on a “PG-13” level (especially concerning comments/forums) for the reasons you stated, such as children or teenagers who view the site. The carousel image by itself, in my opinion, falls under this PG-13 guideline. Aside from Fight Night Champion (used for the Carousel, Rated M for mature), the Fight Night games have commonly carried an ESRB rating of T for Teen, and these games featured some serious blows and scar repairing mini games. The M-rating for Champion was mostly derived the story mode as opposed to the fighting. So if an entire game can carry a T-rating (Fight Night Round 3,4), I could argue that a single image is in line with those ratings and our guidelines to what is appropriate.

On the other hand, switching the image is an easy fix, and I have done so. While I still stand by the original image, I do recognize that the carousel image should have a different set of standards compared to an article you need to actively click on to view images/videos. Thanks for the feedback.
    My TA Deal Blog: http://tinyurl.com/6t8nzpd
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:38
    Mr Granstaff said:
    @ Sensei Neo

laugh Yeah, a bit off topic! At least it's not personal attacks. I hate that...

That's very true that one could get right back up if thrown down to the ground, but I've been taught to follow that up with pressure, make them feel uncomfortable, continue to hold them down, and work in a submission hold or just pummel them. And, you're right to a certain degree when you mention the similarities between wrestling and grappling - it's great to have a wrestling background to succeed in MMA, so it's easy for them to pick up grappling, which helps in all sorts of ways - when they're pressed up against the cage, susceptible to 'dirty boxing' and even applying a 'plum grip' and attack them with strikes similar to Muay Thai style.

And, it's unfortunate to fighters, but as the saying goes, everyone has a 'puncher's chance' so I agree with you on that point. It just depends on that person's recovery capabilities - and chin, whether it's made out of granite or glass!

I'm sure that's what James Toney was thinking when he fought Randy Couture a few years ago. "If I can only hit him once." While, Randy was thinking, "I don't want to get hit, so I'll just take him down." And, he did and submitted him.
    Yeh ok, I cannot argue with most of what you are saying..

However...

When we are selecting the best tactics for a 'Street Scenario'....

I dont want to be messing around putting pressure on an arm-lock while the guys friend is running up behind me with a flying dropkick.

lol
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:51
    Now, street fighting is in a whole other ballpark! You got beer bottles, pool sticks, trash cans, knives, exploding barrels...guns! LOL

I was just talking about sanctioned fights...

And, I would love to see a flying dropkick in person. Last time I heard of a guy using that in real life, he landed wrong and hurt himself! LOL
    Rollus Tidus
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 15:54
    Mr Granstaff said:
    Now, street fighting is in a whole other ballpark! You got beer bottles, pool sticks, trash cans, knives, exploding barrels...guns! LOL

And, I would love to see a flying dropkick in person. Last time I heard of a guy using that in real life, he landed wrong and hurt himself! LOL
    Lol yeh not something I would use myself but there are some crazy nutters out there...

Granted, street fighting is a different ball game, but is this not the main reason we choose to learn these skills in the first place?

(Self Defence).

smile
  • Posted on 28 May 13 at 16:02
    Sensei Neo said:
    Mr Granstaff said:

Lol yeh not something I would use myself but there are some crazy nutters out there...

Granted, street fighting is a different ball game, but is this not the main reason we choose to learn these skills in the first place?

(Self Defence).

smile
    My personal reason for training Jiu Jitsu isn't to defend myself but rather personal achievement. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and self worth. I haven't found that in anything else in life.
  • Chunkeh MunkehChunkeh Munkeh2,468,930
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 18:30
    DTI April said:
    The choice of image for this news article is pretty graphic, and even though it's an animation it's fairly realistic, and I really don't like it. I also wonder how appropriate it might be for any children visiting the website.
    Huh?? oooooooooooook
    Guides in progress - MotionSports, MotionSports: Adrenaline
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 18:33, Edited on 28 May 13 at 18:34 by Sensei Neo
    @DOOM ^ Stop trying to antagonise

Both sides of this debate have been perfectly valid.

I'm saying self defense is the MAIN reason why any martial art exists in the first place
    Posted on 28 May 13 at 18:37
    Sensei Neo said:
    Mr Granstaff said:

(Self Defence).

smile
    I hear ya! There are definitely some crazies out there and peeps (who are usually inebriated) that think they know how to fight.

It's nice that I know I can defend myself through my training, but I just had a passion for martial arts in general. It probably started with Bruce Lee to be honest - I enjoyed the movies.

Plus, it helps put W's in the win column and get all the 'ring girls' numbers. wink
    Rollus Tidus
  • Posted on 28 May 13 at 19:53
    Sensei Neo said:
    @DOOM ^ Stop trying to antagonise

Both sides of this debate have been perfectly valid.

I'm saying self defense is the MAIN reason why any martial art exists in the first place
    I wasn't trying to antagonize nor argue with my last comment at all. If it came off that way, I apologize. I was just merely stating MY personal reason for taking a martial art.
  • SmedsSmeds297,629
    Posted on 29 May 13 at 00:56
    DOOM The Return said:
    Sensei Neo said:
    Even though this probably wasn't his intended point, I'm just gonna throw it out there - Watching '2 men roll around on the floor together...' isn't much different than watching Floyd Mayweather hug the shit out of his opponent laugh.
    I'm entitled to my opinion.
  • Posted on 29 May 13 at 19:42
    This post is contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 January 14 at 18:07
    I like them both but ever since ufc undisputed 3 came out i barely play fight night anymore. Knowing EA they should put all the fighters in the game which will be badass. Can't wait.
    AC
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.