Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

EA Puts Fight Night Franchise On Hold

• flip407flip407579,019
    Posted on 08 June 14 at 21:05
    A really old thread but I need to throw my Penny in because of a post by somebody...

"boxing wont be around in 30 years"

If you give me your details ill quite happily bet my house that it will! Obviously you've never ventured to a kebab shop at 2am. MMA, as exciting as it is, is a flash in the pan; as soon as the inevitable happens and somebody gets killed (now ill definitely bet on that!) then itll get banned. Boxing however...

I'll point out that I neither like boxing or ufc games, nor do I follow boxing in general...but if you look at it logically you just have to back the sport that's been around for at least 3000 years (I'm no historian either, I'm aiming for Greece)

My penny is well and truly spent.??
    flip407
  • Posted on 18 February 16 at 02:31
    I want a new fight night, damn it! angry
    Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m....[s]5th in the WORLD!!![/s] Board finally got hacked! [facepalm]
  • EvandalistEvandalist376,417
    Posted on 20 February 16 at 14:33, Edited on 20 February 16 at 14:36 by Evandalist
    flip407 said:A really old thread but I need to throw my Penny in because of a post by somebody...

"boxing wont be around in 30 years"

If you give me your details ill quite happily bet my house that it will! Obviously you've never ventured to a kebab shop at 2am. MMA, as exciting as it is, is a flash in the pan; as soon as the inevitable happens and somebody gets killed (now ill definitely bet on that!) then itll get banned. Boxing however...

I'll point out that I neither like boxing or ufc games, nor do I follow boxing in general...but if you look at it logically you just have to back the sport that's been around for at least 3000 years (I'm no historian either, I'm aiming for Greece)

My penny is well and truly spent.??
    I'm no MMA fan (though I find the games to be quite fun), but this post is ridiculous.

Yes, boxing has been around longer than mixed martial arts. But this whole "wait until somebody gets killed in MMA and it'll get banned!" mentality reeks of ignorance.

I am a boxing fan. I have been for over 20 years. TONS of boxers have died in the ring or have been beaten into a coma that they never came out of on nationally and internationally televised events no less. Guys like Benny Paret, Leavander Johnson, Kim Duk-Koo, Frankey Campbell, Benjamin Flores, Pedro Alcazar, and Roman Simakov all either died in the ring or were beaten in to a coma in the ring during varying televised events. Hundreds more took such a severe beating that it ended their careers but they escaped with their life, and guess what? Nobody banned boxed. Just like nobody is going to ban MMA when somebody dies from injuries sustained in that sport.

People who compete in combat sports know the risks. Every contract you sign for a fight in either boxing or MMA has a death clause in it somewhere where the fighter who is signing the contract acknowledges that they can lose their life in that fight, that they're willing to accept that risk, and that by signing said contract they thereby release their promoters, the venue, and anybody else involved in the fight from any possible legal repercussions that could come about in the event of their death.

MMA isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Neither is boxing.

I just wish somebody would make a new boxing game. Part of the problem with that is that boxing games are insanely expensive to fill out a roster on than MMA games. If you make a UFC game you just have to pay one lump sum to the UFC itself and you get access to their entire roster of fighters, past and present.

There's no organization like that in boxing. Nobody holds a monopoly on the sport. So you have to go to the fighters individually and negotiate a fee with their promoters and their team to get them to agree to appear in the game. High profile boxers also make millions per fight compared to UFC guys who typically get between $50k and $100k, so the fees you have to pay boxers are obviously going to be a hell of a lot more than the fee you'd have to pay the UFC. This is why we only ever saw Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the very early 'Fight Night' games - Because he wasn't a superstar then. Once he became a star EA couldn't afford him anymore.

This is why we won't be getting a boxing game anytime soon. Unless it's an indie project with fake boxers or something. Something like 'Punch-Out!!' on the NES.
    Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
  • EvandalistEvandalist376,417
    Posted on 20 February 16 at 14:56
    Another point on the subject of death in the ring or death in the octagon :

I'd be really surprised if anybody ever did die in the UFC. Although the UFC seems more violent to casual observers due to the smaller gloves (the difference in weight is only 4 ounces) and the kicking, kneeing, and elbowing - it's really not. First of all, UFC guys don't strike with nearly the same force as boxers do. In MMA you have to train for everything, so you don't get much time to really master one particular skillset. MMA guys are pretty shit with the hands, honestly. You never see them throw a punch with proper form, they just throw arm punches. On the other hand all boxers do is train to throw precision punches. They get their whole body behind it too, which leads to way more trauma on impact.

Secondly - Fights end super quick in the UFC. When you knock a guy down with a hard shot in MMA you typically only get the chance to get off another punch or two on the ground before the referee is pulling you off and stopping the fight. That's a good thing. In boxing referees are constantly criticized by fans and commentators alike for stopping fights too early and not giving hurt fighters the chance to rally back. This leads to a lot of referees being gunshy on stopping a fight when a boxer has taken too much abuse.

In boxing when a guy gets badly hurt and dropped the referee gives him a mandatory 8 count, which is usually just long enough for him to regain his balance and tell the referee he's okay, at which point the fight resumes and the guy that just dropped him immediately resumes beating the fuck out of his brain and body again. If he survives the round, he gets a 60 second break for his bravery to recover.

Boxing matches are also way longer than MMA fights, with most boxing matches going 30 minutes for non-championship fights (ten 3 minute rounds) and championship fights going for 36 minutes. Non-championship MMA fights go for 15 minutes, or 25 minutes for championship fights. So the average boxer is fighting for twice as long as the average MMA guy, and all that time he's taking blows to the head and body, whereas in MMA you see a lot more wrestling, clinching, and other non-traumatic activity.

This is why, on average, 16 people die in the ring every year in boxing and there have only ever been 4 recorded instances of an MMA fighter dying in competition.

Boxing is way more punishing and statistics and studies conducted by the Journal of Combative Sports (JCS) continue to back this up.
    Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
  • SeoulcrusherSeoulcrusher986,840
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 06:32
    Some good posts here. I want another fight night too. I'm not much of a boxing fan but i grew up watching the rocky movies. I understand mma is more popular these days, but i cant get into it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.