Film and TV

For discussions on upcoming films, films in general, TV shows and the like

Rate the last movie you saw

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,124
    Posted on 11 December 17 at 02:35
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    [8/10]

Better than I expected. I thought the series had run its course which is why I didn't see it when it came out.
  • Posted on 16 December 17 at 22:21
    Shutter Island (9.5/10)

Watched on Amazon Digital. Absolutely loved this film. Did not see the end coming at all. Ruffalo & Di Caprio are excellent!
  • BLAZE VIIBLAZE VII439,274
    Posted on 31 December 17 at 19:03
    A few months since my last entry here whoops. laugh

So here are my last three I watched in 3D and stuff:

Justice League (2017) [8/10]

Don't know what's all the fuss about. I enjoyed the movie a lot!

Thor - Ragnarok (2017) [9/10]

Better than the second one and with quite a lot of hilarious scenes.

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi (2017) [9/10]

Again better then the previous part. Still a few more and longer lightsabre fight scenes are missing but maybe in the next one. #starwarsfanboy

Some high ratings I know but there is quite a big difference when you watch a movie online or go actually to the movies with friends and family as I did.

Happy New Year everyone in here, don't drink too much! toast
    "A person's life is not defined by age, but by the choices they make." - Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5)
  • iMikeZeroiMikeZero887,874
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 01:03
    Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10

Loved it.
  • lfcjohnlfcjohn1,752,558
    Posted on 15 January 18 at 07:58
    My list of review from Oct 17 to Jan 18 (latest watched movie first)

The Disaster Artist - 10/10
    - Even not yet seen "The Room", still love this so much, especially the comparison of original and remake at the end.

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10
    - Watch Blade Runner before, this one continue the story and love the atmosphere and how it present "humanity".

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planet 6/10
    - To be honest, not very focus on the movie (i watch it during my gaming), story not really interested.

Dark Tower 6/10
    - Concept is good but the script is bad

Power Rangers 2/10
    - You need to wait until late in the movie for the actual transformation.

War for the Planets of the Apes 7/10
    - No War but nice to watch.

Before I fall 2/10
    - 2 for Zoey Deutch, really bad ending

American Made 7/10
    - Entertaining, performance way better than The mummy

Inferno 1/10
    - Why change the ending !

Atomic Blonde 5/10
    - Wow for the love scene!!

Kingsman: The Golden Circle 5/10
    - Villian only got 2 robot dogs? Amazing!!!

Baby Driver 9/10
    - Great movie

Wonder Woman 8/10
    - Much better than BVS, Suicide Squad

Rough Night 1/10
    - Even Scarlett Johansson can't save the bad script!!

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 5/10
    - Kaya Scodelario is sweet!

Transformer: The Last Knight 2/10
    - What am i watching ....

The Mummy 2/10
    - You better watch the original one my godness.

Baywatch 1/10
    - Those old dirty joke is way too much.
    You'll never play alone.
    Posted on 23 January 18 at 23:56, Edited on 24 January 18 at 00:05 by Allgorhythm
    I'm a little behind but before I catch up let me vent a little on a pet peeve I have had almost as long as the sixty odd years I have been watching movies. The voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences know very little about motion picture arts and sciences. For example, this year they nominated Logan for best adapted screenplay. Flashback to my impressions:

Allgorhythm said:
    Logan (2017)

7.5/10

Would have given it an 8 but there was just a little too much profanity. It's as if the writers were being paid by the word and thought it was easier to throw in four letter words than put any thought into the dialog. Given the bleak setting, some profanity was to be expected and would have added to the atmosphere. However, its use in the movie was just unimaginative.

On the positive side, Dafne Keen as Laura was remarkable which is particularly noteworthy given the stellar cast. The movie overall was great and it is unfortunate that the dialog was not better written.
    I liked Logan as you can see above. Logan was a great movie in spite of the screenplay. If you take away the profanity there's not much left in the way of substantive dialog or plot. Anyone who knows anything about cinema, drama, or literature would have given the screenplay an F minus. Of course, no one would accuse any of the voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of knowing anything about cinema, literature, or drama.

Before Logan, no super hero movie had been nominated for best adapted screenplay. Some super hero movies were deserving of a nomination. Avengers comes to mind. Well received at both the box office and with the critics this is what Rotten Tomatoes had to say:
    Thanks to a script that emphasizes its heroes' humanity and a wealth of superpowered set pieces, The Avengers lives up to its hype and raises the bar for Marvel at the movies.
    link hidden

Avengers had a large cast of larger than life super heroes portrayed by exceptional actors and actresses. The special effects were exceptional. You would expect the story to, at least, take a back seat if not be completely overwhelmed by the personalities of the characters and by the special effects.

Nevertheless, Joss Whedon orchestrates a phenomenal narrative that captivates audiences with its dramatic intensity and plot reversals as it works its way to a satisfying crescendo. He weaves the superheroes back stories into action to differentiate them from each other and give them greater depth of character. He also uses the back stories as dramatic devices to allow audiences to recover from one climactic scene and prepare them for the next. The movie is a cinematic roller coaster where each peak is higher and more exciting than the one that preceded it.

Had Avengers been nominated for best adapted screenplay, it might not have won. There were other great movies during 2012. Avengers could understandably have lost to Silver Linings Playbook (nominated but did not win) or to Les Misérables (not nominated for its screenplay but nominated for best picture that it did not win). What movie did win best screenplay in 2012? Considering that none of the voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of know anything about cinema, literature, or drama; the 2012 best adapted screenplay winner is not surprising--Argo.

Argo was an entertaining film that had some great acting. However, its entire plot was revealed in the previews. It certainly should never have been nominated for best adapted screenplay especially when exceptional adapted screenplays like Les Misérables and Avengers were snubbed.

Of the nominees for best adapted screenplay in 2012, Argo was the worst. Nobody should even have considered nominating it. In 2018, nobody should have considered nominating Logan for best adapted screenplay. Yet, the rocket scientists comprising the voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decided to include it in the list of nominees. As I said earlier, I liked the movie. However, as I also said earlier, anyone who knows anything about cinema, drama, or literature would have given the screenplay an F minus. Since the voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are not burdened by knowledge of cinema, drama, or literature and appear to be completely lacking in intellect; it is very likely that Logan will win in the category for best adapted screenplay.

End of rant. compute
    Posted on 16 February 18 at 03:12, Edited on 16 February 18 at 03:13 by Allgorhythm
    The 15:17 to Paris - (2018)
    [7/10]

I could have rated the movie lower. It did not have what I usually look for in a movie--complex plot with reversals, dramatic pacing, great acting, spectacular cinematography, etc. What is did have was Clint Eastwood's appreciation of people rising to the occasion and overcoming adversity to do the right thing in heroic fashion.
    Posted on 18 February 18 at 18:51
    A Night in Old Mexico - (2014)
    [6/10]

But not bad for a low budget movie.
  • lfcjohnlfcjohn1,752,558
    Posted on 19 February 18 at 02:48
    Cloverfield Paradox (2/10)

Love the first movie a lot, this one is simply non-sense with too many plot unexplained till the end of the film. Even I'm HongKonger, why Tam (Ziyi Zhang) only speak mandarin and communicate with her partner?
    You'll never play alone.
    Posted on 28 February 18 at 02:59
    Megan Leavey - (2017)
    [7/10]

Not a great work of art but a satisfying movie.
  • iMikeZeroiMikeZero887,874
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 13:11
    Justice League 6/10
    Posted on 04 March 18 at 19:29
    East Side Sushi - (2014)
    [7.5/10]

Much better than I expected. It's on Amazon Prime I well worth watching.
  • Shad0wdarShad0wdar535,580
    Posted on 05 March 18 at 15:43
    The Big Sick - 7.5/10
    Lovely movie, well made.
    Sometimes, at least for me, the dialog felt a bit unrealistic and I
    had a hard time connecting with the characters, though I can
    definitely some people loving this movie more than me and thus
    rating it higher.
    Beep Boop
    Posted on 05 March 18 at 19:27
    iMikeZero said:
    Justice League 6/10
    It didn't get glowing reviews. I was going to see it but never had the chance. I did pre-order the UHD disc and it's supposed to arrive Mar 13.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle2,100,903
    Posted on 08 March 18 at 16:09
    I saw Black Panther on opening night and it was pretty damn good... 8/10, maybe even 9/10. I feel it's on the same level as the best MCU standalone movies. Finally got around to watching Spider-Man: Homecoming later during the same weekend and I'd say it was just as great smile
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
    Posted on 08 March 18 at 18:09
    Shinnizle said:
    I saw Black Panther on opening night and it was pretty damn good... 8/10, maybe even 9/10. I feel it's on the same level as the best MCU standalone movies. Finally got around to watching Spider-Man: Homecoming later during the same weekend and I'd say it was just as great smile
    I've been waiting to see Black Panther for which I have high expectations. My local theater, though, is only showing it in 3D. After seeing how 3D changed Thor - Ragnarok from an exceptional movie to a pitifully mediocre one; I don't want to experience the same disappointment with Black Panther.
    Posted on 08 March 18 at 18:26
    Yeah, the showings for the non-3D version were pretty sparse, so we had to settle for seeing it in 3D. It also doesn't help that my friends and I always want to go see movies in English, but we live in a French-dominant demographic. Anyhow, even though I usually avoid 3D showings as much as possible (even worse when you already wear glasses like I do), I thought it really wasn't that bad.
  • o Heres Jonny oo Heres Jonny o1,826,601
    Posted on 18 March 18 at 21:20
    Shad0wdar said:
    The Big Sick - 7.5/10
    Lovely movie, well made.
    Sometimes, at least for me, the dialog felt a bit unrealistic and I
    had a hard time connecting with the characters, though I can
    definitely some people loving this movie more than me and thus
    rating it higher.
    I just finished watching this with the wife. Not my type of film and was just being nice to her by watching it. Ended up really liking it. Cast is good and believable. Jokes are witty and well delivered. Solid 7/10 for me. Would watch it again.
    Happy Gaming
    Posted on 21 March 18 at 14:31
    Black Panther - (2018) 2D
    [8.5/10]

This is how an entertaining movie should be made. Compelling story, great good guys, good bad guys, spectacular cinematography, thrilling action, dramatic pacing. etc.
    Posted on 27 March 18 at 16:17
    Sunday, I watched Power Rangers on Netflix. It was surprisingly good. It wasn't fantastic, but it scratched the itch.
    [7/10]
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads