For discussions on upcoming films, films in general, TV shows and the like

Rate the last movie you saw

AuthorMessage
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 29 March 18 at 23:46, Edited on 29 March 18 at 23:48 by Allgorhythm
Ready Player One - (2018) 2D
[5/10]

I hope I am neither generous nor being harsh. I had high expectations for the movie and was greatly disappointed. I was going to rate the movie 4/10 but felt that was my disappointment speaking so I upped it to a 5/10.

I haven't read the book that was very well received as young adult fiction. Giving it the benefit of doubt that it was great young adult fiction, it doesn't work as a movie for grownups. The main reason is it is too predictable and too clichéd. I usually am disappointed if a work of fiction ends with a deus ex machina. In Ready Player One, every attempt at a plot twist is a deus ex machina often in the form of what passes for loot boxes in the movie.

Characters are one-dimensional. The protagonists never establish themselves as 'heroic' archetypes. The bad guy is a jerk rather than a villain of stature. This probably had much to do with the acting. With the exception of Mark Rylance who played James Halliday, the acting was quite poor. The setting of the movie is about as hackneyed as you can get. The bottom line is this has been done before and much better.

Another problem is that the movie fails to establish an identity in terms of artistic unity. On the one hand, it appears to reach out to an older audience with a plethora of references to pop culture especially that of the 80s. However, these pop culture references are not well integrated into the film. They are shown and talked about but one gets the impression that the 2015 movie Pixels did a much better job of recreating the 'feeling' of the 80s. When, for example, a DeLorean is shown, one gets the impression this is just another cliche rather than an homage to Back to the Future.

On the other hand, the movie appears to reach out to the youth movement rebelling against corporate greed that has reduced society to a dystopian wasteland. The problem is that the retro to modern generation gap is not well bridged. The key to success appears to be an understanding of retro pop culture with which the creator of the virtual world had been obsessed with. Yet, every predicament seems to be resolved with the movie's equivalent of a loot box--high tech gimmicks that substitute deus ex machinas for compelling story telling.

As a final note, you would expect a movie like this would excel at special effects. They were not bad but you expect more out of a movie with Steven Spielberg's name on it.

This was a movie I was looking for and thought I would like. Predictability, cliches, bad acting, and deus ex machinas turned it into a disappointment.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 03 May 18 at 17:52
Avengers: Infinity War - (2018) 2D
[10/10]
Forgot to post here. I saw it opening weekend and it blew my mind. Definitely the best Marvel to date. Tension all the way through, but still bouts of comedy throughout.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
dudecrazy108
dudecrazy108
Posted on 06 May 18 at 21:24
Allgorhythm said:
Black Panther - (2018) 2D
[8.5/10]

This is how an entertaining movie should be made. Compelling story, great good guys, good bad guys, spectacular cinematography, thrilling action, dramatic pacing. etc.
Man I reviewed it for a film site and gave it a 6.

The fight scenes including the last one had some damn awful CGI in it.
www.apocalypticdemise.com
LuckyOne
LuckyOne
Posted on 20 August 18 at 08:39
The Foreigner
Really good. Never seen Jackie Chan in something so gritty
LuckyOne
LuckyOne
Posted on 27 August 18 at 19:06
Fargo - 8/10.
Good film, but as I watched the TV series (1-3) before the film, I actually prefer the TV series as there's more time to build up the characters.
LuckyOne
LuckyOne
Posted on 07 September 18 at 19:38
Watched American Animals last night, true story about a couple of stoners who steal some rare books from a university.
Really enjoyed it, well done movie, slow burner but gets there in the end.
7.5/10
DrMmmPie
DrMmmPie
Posted on 02 December 18 at 10:57
Every Day in December up to the 24th. Me and the wife watch a Christmas movie/Christmas theme tv episode. This year is slightly different as I don't have access to my HD where all the stuff is still we are limited to what's on Netflix. Although one of my favorite movies of recent times is on there.

Arthur Christmas. 8/10

There is just something about this movie I love.
Free pro give away https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=1066420
JustSt0p321
JustSt0p321
Posted on 04 December 18 at 03:26
9/10

A Bronx Tale

A really great crime/drama film that takes place in the 1950s.

Plus is has Robert De Niro, so it's automatically good.

So uh, If ya haven't seen it, I really suggest you give it a watch
DrMmmPie
DrMmmPie
Posted today at 12:19
The Christmas Chronicles 6/10

Good family flim. Child acting is a bit naf.
Free pro give away https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=1066420
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.