Non-Xbox Gaming Forum

Forum for discussing any games that are not on the 360

For FF Fans - #1 Final Fantasy Game Ever

AuthorMessage
WJS Osiris
WJS Osiris
Posted on 24 June 15 at 02:28
A little late to the party but with the ff7 remake announced just wanted to talk some FF, mine would be...
1 FF VII [imo best story ever told movies included]
2a FF X
2b FF tactics
3 FF IX
DrSchlepenstein
Posted on 08 March 16 at 02:54, Edited on 08 March 16 at 02:55 by DrSchlepenstein
For me its tie between Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy II (SNES or its actual number IV). They were two of my favorite games in the series, mainly because of the story and characters.

If I were to rank my favorites:

1) Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy II (SNES) aka IV
2) Final Fantasy III (SNES) aka VI
3) Final Fantasy XII
4) Final Fantasy (NES), before the remakes added all the extra stuff into it
5) Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

With Honorable Mentions to Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XIII

The original NES Final Fantasy II and III that weren't released in North American until the PSX, I didn't enjoy at all, same with Final Fantasy V and IX. I played them, but I found them to be dull and boring and just didn't care about the characters at all.

Final Fantasy X wasn't bad, though as I got closer to the end I started disliking it more and more and felt the final boss and ending in general was garbage. And Final Fantasy X-2 was just utter crap in my opinion and I never finished it, made it about half way through and just couldn't play it anymore.

Played some of the original Gameboy Final Fantasy games as well, and enjoyed them as well.

I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 now, and so far I think they've taken everything that was good about XIII and ruined it and added in a bunch of useless garbage, its starting to feel like X-2 all over again. Haven't played Lighting Returns yet or Type-0. And never played the online games, as they required a subscription fee to play.
a Fi1thy Casual
Posted on 08 March 16 at 16:32
DrSchlepenstein said:Final Fantasy X wasn't bad, though as I got closer to the end I started disliking it more and more and felt the final boss and ending in general was garbage. And Final Fantasy X-2 was just utter crap in my opinion and I never finished it, made it about half way through and just couldn't play it anymore.You made it further than I did on X-2 laugh - I gave up on that trainwreck after about an hour into the. Just about everything in the game was crap IMO.

DrSchlepenstein said:I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 now, and so far I think they've taken everything that was good about XIII and ruined it and added in a bunch of useless garbage, its starting to feel like X-2 all over again. Haven't played Lighting Returns yet or Type-0. And never played the online games, as they required a subscription fee to play.Yep - however my biggest complaint was how frickin easy XIII-2 was compared to XIII.

XIII had a learning curve to it, and even with your chars power leveled, without the right gear there were missions/battles that could kick you in the teeth if you were not careful and precise with both paradigm choices and attacks/buff/debuffs etc etc. It forced me out of my comfort zone many times and pushed me to discover new things (pairing equipment to create different bonuses/buffs). Not to mention, it was an engrossing game - I remember years back taking a vacation from work and literally getting happily lost in the game. wink

XIII-2, on the other hand, was horribly stale. The story was "meh" at best, the combat system felt simplified, the characters had no real depth (even when you learned more about them), the main antogonist seemed like an Emo Sephiroth, and I literally speed-ran the main story in no time at all. It felt kiddish compared to the challenge that was XIII.
Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
ServeMeTheSky
ServeMeTheSky
Posted on 24 July 18 at 01:52
XIII was my first Final Fantasy, and I absolutely adored it. Still do. The feeling when I first walked out onto the Archylte Steppe and witnessed the sheer beauty of Gran Pulse was just incredible. Those Adamantoises roaming around, towering high above the packs of Gorgonopsids, and whatever those winged things were in the distance...it was great. Gotta love Ali Hillis as Lightning and Laura Bailey as Serah, that's great too :D

I'm the first to say there's a lot that sucked about it, but I dunno, I found it amazing. It'll always a special place in my heart.
SchizoPsycho74
Posted on 20 March 19 at 23:21
XBL Prophet said:
Final Fantasy VII is the greastest game of all time IMO.
I have to agree with this guy.
I'm 99.9% sure that I need a beer.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.