The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Back to School Summer XBL Sale

• xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,324,345
    Posted on 04 September 13 at 23:08
    HolyHa1fDead said:
    RazorPriest said:
    Euro pricings are absolutely fucking insane in comparison to the other currencies, and I haven't even bothered to check what my local prices (in SEK) are. Probably shitting high as well, I guess this is just how it works now. Good times.
    Then whatever you do, do not read HolyHalfDead's blog post - Goodbye MSP

A 800MSP ($10 USD) arcade game costs $12.69 USD in the EU which is bad enough, but it costs $13.81 USD in Sweden. Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your day. Maybe it will cheer you up to know that before the change to local currency it cost $14.80 USD in Sweden to buy 800MSP. Or you could move to Australia, or at least operate an Australian Gold account.
    Don't forget, the EU and elsewhere prices include tax, while the US prices do not include tax. It gets far more comparable when you remove the 20% or so VAT from the EU prices.
    Gamers have two hobbies: Playing games, and complaining about those games
  • StarSolidusStarSolidus220,209
    Posted on 04 September 13 at 23:09
    FINALLY! I'd been waiting so long for Rocket Knight to go on sale, and finally it did! Woohoo!
  • Posted on 04 September 13 at 23:59
    xPut Name Herex said:
    You guys should see if you can get Rich to give you some sort of table formatting for the news-posts like this. It would be a better read if you could just have a column for "Title", "$", "£", etc. that keeps everything in line instead of having to jump around line-to-line.
    I was gonna say the same thing, it looks messy at the moment
  • Tanelorn82Tanelorn82475,768
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 00:51
    Hooded Claw 006 said:
    yURCH said:
    Tanelorn82 said:
    I'm tempted by the Castlevania HoD, but I guess it's too focused on Coop. I don't like to play with randoms and don't know anybody with it.
    Well, it's much more fun in co-op, and actually it's extremely hard to start in single-player unless you are a pro in Castlevania games maybe.

But I highly recommend it, if you can convince some of your good friends to buy and start it with you. You really only need 1-2 friends to have joyable expirience (but can have up to 6 people total), and it's better if all are starting from scratch.
    Yes, it is EXTREMELY difficult solo. I've played pretty much all the classic 2d Castlevania's and bought this yesterday.
    It must have taken me about 8 attempts just to do the first level and even then, I was just using cheap tactics. Being Charlotte and spamming Fireball from another room to kill the first boss.
    Thanks for the advice. I only know 1 other person who has a 360 and he has very limited time to game just like me (you know... kids), almost all others are on pc and few on ps3. I guesd I'll pass this one.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead677,930
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 00:57
    yeahwhatever84 said:
    xPut Name Herex said:
    You guys should see if you can get Rich to give you some sort of table formatting for the news-posts like this. It would be a better read if you could just have a column for "Title", "$", "£", etc. that keeps everything in line instead of having to jump around line-to-line.
    I was gonna say the same thing, it looks messy at the moment
    Or put the prices at the front (making sure to NA any currencies that you can't buy that content with).

If using colums, probably only two columns are required "Title" and "Prices", because otherwise every price would need a coded link, and it is already a lot of links!
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 01:09, Edited on 05 September 13 at 01:13 by HolyHalfDead
    xPut Name Herex said:
    Don't forget, the EU and elsewhere prices include tax, while the US prices do not include tax. It gets far more comparable when you remove the 20% or so VAT from the EU prices.
    Thanks, I have added that to my blog post. I hadn't forgotten about taxes in the US, but I would need countless different US prices with sales tax depending on state and borough for the comparison.

Just looking at how complex US sales tax rules are, I could see you being able to make a full time career out of it.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,324,345
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 01:11
    HolyHa1fDead said:
    xPut Name Herex said:
    I haven't forgotten about taxes in the US, but I would need countless different US prices with sales tax depending on state and borough for the comparison.

Just looking at how complex US sales tax rules are, I could see you being able to make a full time career out of it.
    Well, that's why I'm just saying to remove the tax from the EU prices to compare. That way, you can look at the price for both before tax. It wouldn't make sense to compare the EU prices without tax and the US prices with tax after all.
    Gamers have two hobbies: Playing games, and complaining about those games
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 01:19, Edited on 05 September 13 at 01:20 by HolyHalfDead
    xPut Name Herex said:
    Well, that's why I'm just saying to remove the tax from the EU prices to compare. That way, you can look at the price for both before tax. It wouldn't make sense to compare the EU prices without tax and the US prices with tax after all.
    I don't disagree with you that it is not really a fair comparison, but it does show how things changed relative to each other after the shift to local currency (for all except the US). The EU is probably just the same as the US, with taxes varying by country rather than state/borough, so no real way to decide how much to remove. The US has relatively low sales tax rates, but doesn't have the same amount of free public services to fund, so it's complicated, much more complicated than it was with MSP.
  • J PinderJ Pinder719,574
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 02:35
    Heroic Blanket said:
    J Pinder said:
    Nice to see so many games on sale! I just wish the Scott Pilgrim MP DLC was on sale, too.

Is there any chance to also post the % discount along with the current pricing? I can kinda tell based on the prices (assuming 50% most of the time), though there will be non-standard % discounts in the future.

That'll be one of the things I miss the most about MS Points... it was a unified language of price that everyone could reference at a glance. Well, that and now we are taxed on virtual goods.
    You were always taxed on virtual goods. You paid tax to buy the points, now you pay tax to buy the item. Same tax as has always been there.
    That is not actually the case. Online purchases are generally not taxed, though rules vary by state and retailer's physical location. Now, we pay tax through Microsoft. If you are taxed on cards at the store, and now taxed online, too... that double taxation has to suck even worse.
  • wbswbs965,040
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 03:35
    I don't ever recommend getting a GOD over a disk but that is an awesome deal on Naughty Bear and more people need to check that game out
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 September 13 at 05:36
    Still in doubt about the ME3 DLC. I'm just guessing that it'll be on a lower price once Citadel gets a sale. Didn't buy Omega either that time it was on sale. Also in doubt about the Assassin's Creed III singleplayer DLC.
    "Booyah" - Jeff Winger
  • Posted on 05 September 13 at 12:09
    Sacred Citadel on sale! An excuse to play with the boyfriend.

yayy :)
  • Posted on 05 September 13 at 16:02
    Cool, got Leviathan and both DLC for Mercury.

Also got Angry Birds for free on my Russian account, w00t.
  • Rista BRista B746,915
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 16:34
    MAS AttacK said:
    DKong27 said:
    No Mass Effect, I have Leviathan already, give me the other ones D:
    That's what I'm saying! What the heck!
    Yep, I only need Citadel. Bought Leviathan last time it was on sale but now that Citadel has been out awhile hope it will be on sale soon.

I picked up the AC3 DLC and Dead Space 3 DLC. Now I just need time to play both.
  • Posted on 05 September 13 at 17:08
    Omega was just on sale so Leviathan being on sale is hopefully a hint that Citadel will be soon. I can wait. I've got a huge backlog.
  • Phoenix C64Phoenix C64310,289
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 17:38
    Senior Chupon said:
    Omega was just on sale so Leviathan being on sale is hopefully a hint that Citadel will be soon. I can wait. I've got a huge backlog.
    "just" is around 2 month ago... and news coverage was so bad that i missed it

i really wish there would be an option here on TA that can send me a PM when certain stuff goes on sale.
    Nerd Rage: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280
  • Posted on 05 September 13 at 17:46
    Phoenix C64 said:
    Senior Chupon said:

i really wish there would be an option here on TA that can send me a PM when certain stuff goes on sale.
    Like anything on your wish list? That would be a good idea...
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 17:56, Edited on 05 September 13 at 20:40 by HolyHalfDead
    Senior Chupon said:
    Also got Angry Birds for free on my Russian account, w00t.
    clap

Considering all the fuss that was made over the 800MSP game Ben 10 being free for a few hours, I'm surprised more people haven't got excited about a 3200MSP game being free (possibly for the whole week).
  • weaselcannonweaselcannon334,896
    Posted on 05 September 13 at 19:27
    Finally able to pick up Rocket Knight! Loved that game as a kid.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 September 13 at 20:37
    Senior Chupon said:
    Phoenix C64 said:
    Senior Chupon said:

Like anything on your wish list? That would be a good idea...
    That's something I've tried to promote time and again on a whole bunch of different threads, probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    "Booyah" - Jeff Winger
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.