Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

E3 2011: Devil May Cry Trailer

• Phase IIPhase II300,540
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 07:56Permalink
    MAGNUS 7000 said:
    I like Dantes look in MvC3.
    I thought I heard Capcom say that whoever was in MvC3 were to be represented in future or current games...

Correct me if I'm wrong but.

Thats not my Dante. :O
  • TomjehTomjeh1,049,435
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 08:06Permalink
    gooo ninja theory :)
  • CrimzinChaosCrimzinChaos167,633
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 08:53Permalink
    Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t DMC3 a prequel. So Date was a badass for the get go. Why mess with a good thing? Why cracked out trash? Part of a great story is the Character and people are shallow whether they want to admit it or not. If the character looks like garbage then he might as well be.
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 10:19Permalink
    iHeartSlampigs said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    i still gotta start the 4th one, but im a bit reluctant to because of those achievements
    Don't let achievements hold you back out of a great experience.
    I agree so much with this. Some people care too much about completion percentage or completing a game they will miss out on a great game with hard achievements. And barbrady don't you have a 39% completion anyway? lol.
    DMC4 is one of my favourite games for the 360, but I'm not sure about this new one yet...
  • HolyMollsterHolyMollster540,370
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 11:36Permalink
    Boooooring!

Next!!
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 11:50, Edited on 08 June 11 at 12:53 by CrimsonGaidinPermalink
    If the new look is part of the story before he controls the demon side as someone said then I guess I can get behind it. The original Dante is still the most badass looking character in gaming though IMO so he will be missed when I don't have the Devil Trigger activated. It is too early too comment on the rest and I still need to finish 4 after I let a boss fight get the best of me and returned my rented copy...
    I aim to misbehave!
  • Zacry072Zacry0721,035,865
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 11:54Permalink
    I'll keep an eye out, but right now I don't know what to think.
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 11:56, Edited on 08 June 11 at 12:00 by HumbledManiakPermalink
    I heard something like Ninja Theory didn't change Dante too much from the previous games but Capcom told them to make it something fans wouldn't like. They wanted Ninja Theory to make a drastic change from what they're used to, the point in this?

Well, not everyone is a bad ass from birth, or even as a teenager. I'm sure the people who are your idol now wasn't anything like what they are now when they were younger. Simply, people change based on experience; which is what may have happened to Dante.

Even with Devil May Cry 3 the story of Dante wasn't told. It was Dante and Vergil, and how Dante found his demonic powers. I kind of find it pathetic people are trashing this game simply because Dante isn't a bad ass, muscular 15 year old? (I think it's based 2 years prior to 3 which I believe he's 17?)

I mean, nowadays virtually every kid is a rebelious teenager. That's what he is in this game. (Remember he is supposed to be half human!) It's sad to see when a company gets given a game to test out their own style on that they get grilled by the fans (Prior to release when the development isn't finished!) over a two trailers.

Grow some balls.
  • Deadly MovesDeadly Moves402,379
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 11:58Permalink
    Looks good.. Havent played the last one bcos of the acheevs. i want to, But i like to get at least 50% of the acheevs from game i like
    I'm not a perfect person. There are many things i wish i didnt do, but i continue learning.
  • yURCHyURCH128,975
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 12:27Permalink
    Am I getting it right and this is a reboot? So they will 'forget' everything that happened in previous games??? Why they are doing this? I don't like reboots, because it seems to me like the developers ran out of ideas for a story, and just want to make it from the start. (maybe they even think that they got less blame from the fans, because this is reboot and nothing you knew about this game counts...)

Back to the trailer, it looks normal, they can still make a good game out of it, but instead of making a reboot they probably should start a new kick-ass series!
    I would like to expand my TA friend list. So if you want - add me :D
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 12:32Permalink
    I expected more, if anything I think that looks worse than DMC4.
    Tried to play DMC3 on PC, shame about the controls being messed up, it actually looked good.
  • Deaf ParadoxDeaf Paradox305,874
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 12:46, Edited on 08 June 11 at 12:48 by Deaf ParadoxPermalink
    So they released DMC 1 & 2 which were brilliant back in the day and still are to me, then decided to release a prequel with DMC 3 which was okay but no where near as good as the previous two.

Then came Nero in an unexpected twist for DMC 4 where Dante was given less than half game to play. Which while it upset me at the time, I have grown to love it even more than the others. So naturally I thought that DMC 5 would feature stories involving how Nero got his arm and more badass Dante taking the main stage.

Instead they decide to recreate a game that didn't need rebooting, The best thing about the trailer in my eyes was Dante's ability to grab Demons much like Nero's arm. I have much hope for this game but little faith in those in charge of the IP.

PS, bring back Onimusha :D
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 12:48Permalink
    Probably another game with hard achievements and I don't care! Unlike some I won't miss on a good game because I can't do some of the achievements, who cares if a game drops my completion % once in a while. I play to have fun, achievements are a nice bonus but not necessary to enjoy a great experience.

DMC4 was my first game in the series and I loved it. I want more giant boss fights!
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 12:52Permalink
    would be some great graphics if this was a PS2 game.
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 13:35Permalink
    Was great reading your post Paradox. Didn't know you were into Onimusha as well despite knowing you for ages now. How Nero got his arm I believe was shown in the collectors edition of DMC4. Nero was attacked prior to 4 (which is why his arm was bandaged up) and the demon that supposedly did it is in this artwork book you get with the collectors edition (It has the same hand/claw as Nero) so looks like his Devil Bringer it's more of a mutation from the wound.

I personally believe this is a buy some time game. For years fans have wanted a new DMC so Capcom have given Ninja Theory the task of a reboot (to keep the series much alive and cash in on it) while another IP continues the story of Nero and Dante. It sort of makes sense.
  • HuGh1212HuGh121233,337
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 14:05Permalink
    This is getting a bashing over on youtube... Not looking good for em :/
    Hughby-Dooby-Doo
  • SebastianSBSebastianSB195,074
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 14:59Permalink
    HumbledManiak said:
    I heard something like Ninja Theory didn't change Dante too much from the previous games but Capcom told them to make it something fans wouldn't like. They wanted Ninja Theory to make a drastic change from what they're used to, the point in this?

Well, not everyone is a bad ass from birth, or even as a teenager. I'm sure the people who are your idol now wasn't anything like what they are now when they were younger. Simply, people change based on experience; which is what may have happened to Dante.

Even with Devil May Cry 3 the story of Dante wasn't told. It was Dante and Vergil, and how Dante found his demonic powers. I kind of find it pathetic people are trashing this game simply because Dante isn't a bad ass, muscular 15 year old? (I think it's based 2 years prior to 3 which I believe he's 17?)

I mean, nowadays virtually every kid is a rebelious teenager. That's what he is in this game. (Remember he is supposed to be half human!) It's sad to see when a company gets given a game to test out their own style on that they get grilled by the fans (Prior to release when the development isn't finished!) over a two trailers.

Grow some balls.
    The problem here is that you're assuming that people want to play as a teenage Dante in the first place. Your points would be justified if there was some sort of consensus that everyone wanted to play as the kiddie version of a beloved character, but there isn't.
    RBN Weekly Updates: http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=1576
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 15:11, Edited on 08 June 11 at 16:10 by CrimsonGaidinPermalink
    SebastianSB said:
    The problem here is that you're assuming that people want to play as a teenage Dante in the first place. Your points would be justified if there was some sort of consensus that everyone wanted to play as the kiddie version of a beloved character, but there isn't.
    I think it really comes down to how the game comes out. People are scared of change, especially when it comes to beloved game series. If they execute this well then most people upset will come to accept and appreciate this new younger dante. If not the people will say they were justified in their hate and that Ninja Theory ruined DMC.

My personal opinion knowing what I currently know is that DMC was losing several fans with each installment and something needed to happen. I think this is a good risk to take and I hope it works out. I will always love the original look of Dante but I haven't really cared about the character at all since early in the series. Hopefully this brings me back to caring who Dante is and where his life is leading him!
    I aim to misbehave!
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 15:18, Edited on 08 June 11 at 15:27 by HumbledManiakPermalink
    They don't have to play this game, do they? Is there a rule that says "You must play this game even if you don't like it?" If there is then I sure as hell don't know about it. This doesn't follow on from the traditional story of Dante. I.E 3,2,1,4. It's based before all these. It doesn't follow on from where the story left off in 4. Which means people who don't play 'DMC' won't be missing anything from where the story later in the timeline ends. (DMC4)

Everyone doesn't want the same thing. Check any game. You'll find people who love one game that don't like the sequal(s) while others hate the prequal(s). There isn't a general consensus in gaming. You either love it or you don't.

I particually don't like people whining about a game that isn't in its final stages of production, or doesn't seem to be. Especially when it's about a simple character design or visuals of the setting, it is pathetic.

Having a change is something everything needs. There will be a point where the badass Dante gets boring. It's the simple way of life, too much of one thing is bad. What Ninja Theory is trying to do is make more character design for Dante. Show that beneath his demonic genes and tough nature he is quite human, he has flaws, and at one time in his 'life' he was weak. I find it quite a feat if they pull it off, regardless of fans belief.

I wouldn't mind playing as a teenage Dante. His attitude and nature reminds me very much of my own (maybe not the torture or slaying demons) but his rebellious streak. I hate smoking but I smoked for many years during my adolesence. For me, it makes me able to relate to the character more and regardless of hair style, colour, clothing or build, it grasps me emotionally. As I'm sure it does others.

Edit: And while I know I'm arguing through personal opinion. I think the simple truth of it is that some people are too closed minded about things. If something changes, they hate it without giving it a chance. That's what I'm mainly arguing about.
  • SebastianSBSebastianSB195,074
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 15:32Permalink
    Calling people pathetic for having opinions on a forum that are just as valid as your own won't really change anything. DMC4 was a colorful, heavily stylized game with a strong sense of humor. The game looks dark, gritty, serious, and boringly brown. It's a pretty serious change in tone that can be very jarring. If the reasons you liked DMC in the first place look like they're being completely removed in the next game you have every right to say so. Not every character needs to be shown as a kid in order to develop them properly. No one's asking to play as a pizza-faced Snake or as Shepard in middle school. It should be pretty understandable that people might not want to follow Dante through his angsty, emo, "rawr why won't anyone take me seriously" teenage years.

It's true that we don't have much to go on at this point, but that's exactly what it looks like so far. If you're going to call people pathetic for complaining about an unfinished game then you should also get annoyed when people think it looks good. The game isn't finished yet, so how could their praises be valid? It's the exact same line of logic, which is inherently flawed. This is a news post on a forum, and people are going to say whether they think something looks good. If the trailer is somehow not representative of the game, then why in the world would they release it? That's Capcom's problem, not ours.
    RBN Weekly Updates: http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=1576
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.