Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

E3 2011: Devil May Cry Trailer

• Posted on 08 June 11 at 15:46, Edited on 08 June 11 at 15:52 by HumbledManiakPermalink
    That's a completely valid point and the pizza-faced Snake made me laugh a fair amount- great concept.

It's my opinion on things and while others, like myself are valid to their own, I'm personally reserving judgement on the game until the trailers on release. On the first page I put day bloody one. Which the game will be to me. Simply because it's DMC and I'm willing to take the risk in buying something that fails on many levels since I love the series quite a lot.

Now, it depends. Settings and character designs change through development. So the people who may not like it now may on release. The visuals may be booted up graphically and not be so bland. I think the pleasure in the DMC series has been mainly the gameplay and story. Although the settings in 4 such as the jungle was gorgeous to say the least.

Developers release trailers for unfinished products to gain feedback. Perhaps prior to this one there was no sort of powerup that makes the world negative and gives Dante white hair but due to fan feedback they incorporated it for fans-sake (and units sold of course).

It is understandable that people may not want to play this. Which is why it is passable. It's a reboot, it doesn't continue the story and I think a perfect playground for Ninja Theory to experiment. If people hate it it doesn't effect DMC, just the IP's credibility to produce great quality games.
  • GeoLotusGeoLotus62,525
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 15:55Permalink
    I'll wait till this is in the bargain bin. Shouldn't take more then a month after release.
    If you read this, you're awesome, however if you tell me you read this, you're a fudgesickle.
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 16:27Permalink
    Looks alright... :/
    CabbageWithPie
  • Thanatos03Thanatos03126,531
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 16:28Permalink
    is it just me or are these some crappy graphics??

Also, looks like the same people that made Alice in wonderland came up with this game.
    Revelation 6:8
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 16:37Permalink
    i`m out !!!
  • THE R1CH13THE R1CH13319,743
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 17:06Permalink
    I really do want to be excited about this, but... it's just not jelling with me yet. Have to wait and see...
  • misfit119misfit119910,756
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 17:06Permalink
    HumbledManiak said:
    Even with Devil May Cry 3 the story of Dante wasn't told. It was Dante and Vergil, and how Dante found his demonic powers. I kind of find it pathetic people are trashing this game simply because Dante isn't a bad ass, muscular 15 year old? (I think it's based 2 years prior to 3 which I believe he's 17?)

Grow some balls.
    I'm going to have to take exception to your mentality. While I really don't care either way with this game I do like your attitude. I'm going to address this issue further down.

I will address one thing though - Devil May Cry 3 IS the origin story of Dante. It shows us him starting off deciding to be a demon hunter but not seeming too sure of what to do with himself. But over the course of the game he grows in power to the point of accepting his half-demon side and using his Devil Trigger for the first time ever. He then goes on to defeat the bad guy and his anti-hero brother, saving the world. It's a classic superhero origin story.

HumbledManiak said:
    It is understandable that people may not want to play this. Which is why it is passable. It's a reboot, it doesn't continue the story and I think a perfect playground for Ninja Theory to experiment. If people hate it it doesn't effect DMC, just the IP's credibility to produce great quality games.
    Let's just imagine something stupid... something most people will acknowledge as stupid. Ah! Halo Wars. Lets say you're a huge Halo fan, play every game read every book and own all the toy... collectibles for the game. Then they release something that swerves so far away from anything you're interested in, there's going to be anger. You want to support a series you love, you want to follow a game series you love. But this thing you're given, it's not what you love. It's the hollowed out carcass of something you love, gutted and left out to rot.

That's basically what this is and it's a lose-lose situations for fans who don't like the new direction. If it succeeds then lets welcome the new face of DMC which will alienate the old fans. If it fails then Capcom will likely use it as an excuse to put the series to the side. There is literally no winning for them and how you can't understand the bitterness this knowledge can produce is literally beyond comprehension. Especially since you're clearly not some moronic troll.

HumbledManiak said:
    I wouldn't mind playing as a teenage Dante. His attitude and nature reminds me very much of my own (maybe not the torture or slaying demons) but his rebellious streak. I hate smoking but I smoked for many years during my adolesence. For me, it makes me able to relate to the character more and regardless of hair style, colour, clothing or build, it grasps me emotionally. As I'm sure it does others.
    I'm pretty sure this is what they're counting on and it frustrates me to no end. They're aiming a game at what I consider the lowest common denominator - rebellious, poseur teenage types. The group that wants to be unique by joining outside groups, acting out and being little shits. I was one of them but have no interest in revisiting those rather sad years of my life by playing as some doofus who looks like Gerard Way but yet even sillier.

This is actually where my hostility towards the game comes from, the idea that this is their new target demographic and to hell with everyone else. It seems like they're banking on getting the emo and goth crowds, along with those lovely poseurs, and those of us who for some silly reason fondly enough remember those days to want a protagonist who reminds us of it at the expense of everyone else scratching their heads.

I'm pretty curious how the Japanese are responding to this now that I think about it.

HumbledManiak said:
    Edit: And while I know I'm arguing through personal opinion. I think the simple truth of it is that some people are too closed minded about things. If something changes, they hate it without giving it a chance. That's what I'm mainly arguing about.
    The irony of this statement in regards to your close minded attacking of other peoples opinions is rather interesting. You may want to revise your posts so people don't get the wrong idea about you if you feel a legitimate issue. Attacking others opinions makes you seem more troll and less reasonable.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 17:07, Edited on 08 June 11 at 17:12 by Kid IcarusPermalink
    Wouldn't be a Dante fan if I didn't get this, but I'm hoping the creators will put characters/alternate skins in the game because while this new Dante isn't that bothersome, I would much rather have DMC3 Dante.

Also, Dante has always played the part of the rebellious son, it just happens to be that this game focuses more on the brash side of that as opposed to the calm and collected side we're used to.
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 18:16, Edited on 08 June 11 at 18:25 by HumbledManiakPermalink
    I won't say I'm completely open minded myself. There's really no such thing. Even with facts- evidence, responses for things that are meaningful to people derive from emotive belief.

This game will get pretty low scores and sales regardless. Even if it is the best gameplay ever seen in a DMC game, and the graphics suddenly have a Redbull and become extremely vibrant. The fact is fans won't accept this as DMC. While I agree with what you say about their target audience, don't forget that Capcom is a company and will only publish games if they foresee a possible profit.

Hardly any of the big publishers care for their fans opinions or needs, only themselves as a company. Ninja Theory are appealing to the current gothic/emo trend in markets to increase the sales. Much like Activision did with GH when they included a multitude of different genres of music in each of their games.

I can see it's a lose-lose. I'm not blind. You take the originality out of a game and what's left is nothing. As I said before, I'm waiting until the actual release trailers and finalised game-footage before I say whether or not this game is trash.

I didn't mean about revisiting one's past. I don't care about doing that. It's the fact that in some stage we as individuals go through this gloomy period in our lives; and personally I like the fact that with this DMC I can relate more to my favourite protagonist on a level that is seen beyond gaming, and more on a human level. Not to sound too weird.

And while yes, you can say to me. "Well that is your personal opinion, and I accept that, why can't you accept others opinions instead of insulting them." It's simple, I've given more of a statement than "The graphics look like PS2" or some other balls shown in this thread. The fact remains that while fancy visuals are pleasent, the core gamer should be into core things. Which is strong gameplay and story. With this trailer it shows the gameplay is flawed and unpolished but it could be a while before release which gives them more time to fix that.

As for the story element... We'll have to wait and see. But, it's possible that what we've seen up until now, the trailer and game-footage is how it is to start; with a Dante that unsure about who he is or will become. Perhaps as the story goes on he becomes who we as fans love. Until the idea behind story is revealed and we know what happens how can saying that this is going to be terrible, and as you said before, good, be anything but speculation and rubbish?
  • SebastianSBSebastianSB195,111
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 19:22Permalink
    HumbledManiak said:
    This game will get pretty low scores and sales regardless..don't forget that Capcom is a company and will only publish games if they foresee a possible profit.
    So you think that Capcom will only publish profitable games but at the same time you think they're dooming this game to sell badly? What's really left to defend, then? Betraying fans for a profit makes some sense, but you don't think even that will happen? I'm not getting how you can defend this game at all.

On the graphics issue, I'm not asking for photo-realism. I don't really like realism all that much in video games. I just want interesting visuals that look like they were thought out and designed well. Making everything samey and brown is just lazy game design.
    RBN Weekly Updates: http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=1576
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 20:35, Edited on 08 June 11 at 20:42 by HumbledManiakPermalink
    It's a personal opinion. I don't know what the finished product will be like.

In theory if DMC reached out to the audience it's aiming for (emo/gothic) and got into the market it would make a profit. But that's theory. Since they've changed a lot of what the current fans of the series love and pushed them away they've missed making definite sales. Also, if by release the visuals aren't improved to the level games are generally made to these days (which attract some purchases), it's unlikely to sell at a profit.

I don't think the game has the capabilities to reach the market without going entirely headfirst into it and alienating their fans entirely. I personally don't believe Capcom or Ninja Theory are willing to do entirely (ensuring no sales is worse than a few) that's why I think it won't make profit.

What I'm trying to say in short is that if DMC doesn't reach out the market in the way Capcom believe so, (they have made misjudgements with games in the past) and in the process push away the current fans of the series from a purchase. It won't sell.

With this I sound like I'm going against my previous comments. I personally will buy the game as I do like the style and feel of it. Bad graphics doesn't ruin good gameplay and story for me. But I can understand why loads of fans aren't too happy with the changes Ninja Theory have made. I just find it silly that they're judging their purchases off the couple of trailers released at the moment- at who knows what stage in development.
  • SebastianSBSebastianSB195,111
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 20:55Permalink
    HumbledManiak said:
    I personally will buy the game as I do like the style and feel of it...I just find it silly that they're judging their purchases off the couple of trailers released at the moment- at who knows what stage in development.
    Other people's decisions on whether or not they want to buy a game that isn't out yet are no more or less legitimate than your own. Do you find your own decision to be silly? It's not like you're privy to any additional information. You seem fine with doing something that you're annoyed other people are doing.
    RBN Weekly Updates: http://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=1576
  • Posted on 08 June 11 at 21:22Permalink
    I was planning to buy the game anyway but I do like the style to it. I expect it to change though prior to release to suit whatever market they go for but even then I'll buy it.

Back in 2010 I was one of the people who refused to purchase the game based on how they've changed Dante. Since then, before now, I realised why should I miss out on a game from the series I love most because of character design. I decided to purchase it then but it's made the purchase easier to justify now that I've likened to the design.

How I've worded the last two comments I made have changed what I meant entirely. I apologise for not going through a few times for structure. I check/edit for spelling corrections mostly.

I find my own decision to be the worst kind of decision. Like a fanboy I will buy DMC simply because of the name. Not based on trailers, screenshots or information and gameplay details. Simply because it's Devil May Cry.

That does not change my previous comment whatsoever. When I consider purchasing a game I'm not sure I'll like (notice 'consider') I watch the latest gameplay footage just before, or after release.
  • OdinHawkeOdinHawke210,069
    Posted on 08 June 11 at 23:27, Edited on 08 June 11 at 23:29 by OdinHawkePermalink
    As I said when they first announced this and as others have said now; The gameplay looks great but I'm not sure I could play through this game as that reboot. If they were to add a second playthrough with the real Dante though then that would be it for me.

I can still guarantee I'll get this as I have always enjoyed the DMC series as a whole (yes, I even tolerated and enjoyed parts of DMC2. God strike me down), but I'm pretty sure it won't be a D1P
  • gsartogsarto228,695
    Posted on 09 June 11 at 01:43Permalink
    Comparing to the others DMC games,THIS IS TRASH!!!
  • Dep4rteDDep4rteD58,591
    Posted on 09 June 11 at 03:34Permalink
    this looks terrible.
  • misfit119misfit119910,756
    Posted on 09 June 11 at 03:37, Edited on 09 June 11 at 03:38 by misfit119Permalink
    HumbledManiak said:
    I didn't mean about revisiting one's past. I don't care about doing that. It's the fact that in some stage we as individuals go through this gloomy period in our lives; and personally I like the fact that with this DMC I can relate more to my favourite protagonist on a level that is seen beyond gaming, and more on a human level. Not to sound too weird.
    I wasn't saying you per se. I was more saying that it seems to be what they're aiming for is all as a general thing. Most of the praise I've heard about this game is from people who are whiney emo types, aren't whiney emo types but like the music or those who went through those periods as teens and like the idea of someone "like them" who is a badass.

HumbledManiak said:
    And while yes, you can say to me. "Well that is your personal opinion, and I accept that, why can't you accept others opinions instead of insulting them." It's simple, I've given more of a statement than "The graphics look like PS2" or some other balls shown in this thread. The fact remains that while fancy visuals are pleasent, the core gamer should be into core things. Which is strong gameplay and story. With this trailer it shows the gameplay is flawed and unpolished but it could be a while before release which gives them more time to fix that.
    Actually that's not really what I was saying. I was saying that since you're clearly more intelligent than people who just want to troll each other or a game, by being so offensive about it you weaken your point of view when it's a perfectly reasonable one. I can understand being caustic when you think people are being stupid, I do it all the time, but you don't want people to read your post and lump you in with the mouth breather crowd when you're not.

HumbledManiak said:
    Until the idea behind story is revealed and we know what happens how can saying that this is going to be terrible, and as you said before, good, be anything but speculation and rubbish?
    I don't think most people are railing against the story per se. Most seem to find the reboots graphics to be kind of bland in that overly gritty Gears of War brown on brown and they find the look of Dante to be aggravating. Can't say much for the story yet beyond that some seem to think this is a story set in a period that doesn't need to be told. That's personal opinion though so I dunno, I'm reserving on that.

But a good story might not mean much. I personally like the story for DMC2 but it's a crap game.

HumbledManiak said:
    What I'm trying to say in short is that if DMC doesn't reach out the market in the way Capcom believe so, (they have made misjudgements with games in the past) and in the process push away the current fans of the series from a purchase. It won't sell.
    This would be called the Lost Planet 2 / Devil May Cry 2 marketing idea.

What really aggravates me is I know exactly why they're doing this. They're intimidated by Bayonetta. And since that Devil May Cry knockoff did such a good job with the combat system and was so colorful they want to go in the exact opposite direction. Basically they're being bullied by a competitor into changing what's worked pretty well so far.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 09 June 11 at 12:45Permalink
    Dante Looks different but it looks like he's picked up some moves if anything. Looks like the same fast paced game play with more over the top enemies.

Honestly, it looks pretty good to me. It's one of my favorite series and it deserves a day one from me just to give it a chance. I feel a lot more confident about it now and I hope the new Dante plays out, which his look is a lot better than it was in that trailer. Skinny, yes but he no longer just looks like an emo punk. He looks like Dante after he's spent a few years in hell fighting for his life.
  • o S0LIDUS oo S0LIDUS o448,531
    Posted on 09 June 11 at 14:52Permalink
    Looks good considering it isn't even done yet.. Still hate Dante's look however.. It's horrible.
  • Posted on 09 June 11 at 15:37Permalink
    Im so dissapointed to look at this reboot was hoping the artwork and visuals were the same but jus maybe a prequel etc Dante looks so stupid will never buy this,sorry Capcom but im sure you those are words youll here alot with this new DMC!!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.