Game Discussion: Dragon Age II

Dragon Age II:Biowares least epic story?

• Posted on 12 March 11 at 05:38
    So, first let me say 2 things. First I liked dragon Age II. Second, I have played every game bioware has every released, and have completed all of them except for Neverwinter Nights 2.

Dragon Age II spoilers ahead...

Having said this, anyone else feel that storywise, this was the least epic story bioware has ever told? I mean, Dragon Age: Origins is the tale of a person who joins a noble group with a long history, who then sees that group slain and they being near the lat number, and has to raise an army to destroy an evil god who seeks to destroy all life as we know it, while having to deal with a civil war. Dragon Age II, on the other hand, is the story of a refuge from Lothering regaining the status of his family, and dealing with a very small civil war.

And really, most of the actual story is told towards the end. So what does others think? Compared to othr Bioware titles, and even most rpgs, do you all think the story wasn't quite "big" enough?
  • BIG NMEBIG NME43,566
    Posted on 12 March 11 at 07:40
    Spoilers below

I enjoyed the story of DA2 but was sad that you only got to play certain years before the time jumps. I thought that Bioware had the chance to make a larger game, you could search a larger area of the Dragon Age world then you could before. It felt like the Awaking DLC in terms of places you could go very small. Small Civil War...yea I doubt that its small if it effected the whole world of Dragon Age. ( That is unless you me battles with the Qunari? Speaking of the Qunari I have earned a deeper respect for in terms of culture and honor though it was hard to get what they are meaning, I miss Sten though)

I'm sure you've read between the lines and know that they are making a Dragon Age 3, I'm feeling like they are taking the story from Mass Effect 2-3 now, in which you may or may not be the Champion or an unnamed "Hero" but again its still early for the DLC to come out and maybe make up for the lack of epicness?
    "First killed and now robbed, this truly ain't your day friend."
  • Posted on 12 March 11 at 10:06
    Spoilers Continue

While the end results of the civil are a pretty big deal, the part that actually takes place in the game is a relatively small war. Now at the end of the game it is mentioned that this spawns change throughout the land, you don't really play through through that part.
  • Posted on 12 March 11 at 16:43
    The story wasn't very epic. I expect them to continue the story with future dlc. I also expect to see many people whining in the future about how they cut off the ending to sell as dlc. roll
  • Posted on 12 March 11 at 16:47
    I haven't finished the game and so far the story isn't epic but I have to say I really like the change of pace as it doesn't seem to be the usual hero saves the world story; so while it's not really epic I'm enjoying it a lot so far
  • Fatal RusHFatal RusH761,055
    Posted on 12 March 11 at 21:54
    Yes, you're right.

The story isn't epic or big... And that's exactly why it is so much better than yet another 'save the world' scenario. :)
  • LV 1 Blue SlimeLV 1 Blue Slime1,665,512
    Posted on 13 March 11 at 00:24
    rrushn said:
    Yes, you're right.

The story isn't epic or big... And that's exactly why it is so much better than yet another 'save the world' scenario. :)
    How is SAVE A SMALLER PART OF THE WORLD!!!! better than SAVE THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!
    Hey, no complaints here. I prefer eye candy to scary armor any day. - Yuri
  • Posted on 13 March 11 at 00:43
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:
    rrushn said:
    Yes, you're right.

How is SAVE A SMALLER PART OF THE WORLD!!!! better than SAVE THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!
    Lol that what I was kinda feelin. Again I enjoyed the game, but this seems like such a small slice of the Dragon Age universe, and we aren't going to have that many views into that world.

I just felt it had kinda lost momentum story wise from the first one.
  • Posted on 13 March 11 at 06:58
    I agree it's not epic. And you can certainly argue about whether that's good or bad. My bigger problem is that having just reached year 7 I feel like the story isn't really coherent. There's no driving force (other than time) propelling the main story forward. I know things are part of the main plot only because they're listed under the "main plot" tab in the journal. I love sidequests. I do nearly all of them as a matter of course. But I get frustrated when I feel like an entire game is just a series of sidequests. I felt the same way about ME 2.

About 2/3 of the way through year 4 I thought, okay, so eventually I become "the champion of Kirkwall" but who exactly am I championing? I still don't have an answer for that at the beginning of year 7. I don't feel like I've served Kirkwall particularly. I don't even feel like I've particularly championed the Templar or Mage factions. As far as I'm concerned, both have a few valid points as well as some bad actors. I kept waiting for something that would make me want to passionately fight --someone. Anyone. Still hasn't happened. The Quinari are like the mages and Templars, Not good or evil.

I think it would have been a much better game if we'd been able to play through years 5 and 6. (And maybe when I finish year 7 I won't feel that way and it won't matter). But right now I feel like I've basically been fighting to maintain the status quo which isn't satisfying.

I liked what they started to do with the fact that you're a Fereldan refugee and I think that might have been an interesting line to explore more fully. I could see being a champion for them.

For now though, my rallying cry is apparently "defend the status quo!"
  • Posted on 13 March 11 at 10:23
    Game is lacking, feels like a XBLA game, short, poor story and a lack of customization. 3/5 at best. DA:O was much better.

I'll be selling this once they fix their achievements and reserve something I know will be good, Skyrim.
  • Posted on 13 March 11 at 20:47
    I agree with everything that was posted ahead of me but I think that It kinda had to be like that. Bioware seems to want to start another chain like ME and they seemed to be using this game kinda like a stepping stone its too big to be and XBLA and doesnt really have enough connection to the first one to be its XBLA so this was kinda the only way to segue into making a more epic future for Hawke. What does everyone think of the way that Verric is used to tell the story and the upgrading system?
  • misfit119misfit1191,179,104
    Posted on 13 March 11 at 21:04, Edited on 13 March 11 at 21:06 by misfit119
    KellissAmberlee said:
    For now though, my rallying cry is apparently "defend the status quo!"
    Ya know, I totally didn't even get your PM until I read this.facepalm

Anyways I'm on my second playthrough now, this time on my main account, and I have to say that the storyline is beyond underwhelming. While the Qunari are interesting the main storyline and many of the actions people take feel so far out of left field, and aggravating from a gameplay perspective, that it makes it hard to feel sympathy for just about anyone in the game. Actually, ironically enough, by the time all is said and done one group seems far, far more in the right than the other even though they're giant jerks. Likely not what Bioware intended.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 00:40
    Ya know, I was completing everything in the journal before I moved on, so it almost felt like the only reason I knew something was part of "the main storyline" was that the journal told me.
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 02:45
    Just want you to know that just because it takes part in a certain city doesn't mean anything major doesn't come of it.

Think about it. How do revolutions occur? They occur on small scale until it is blown in to proportion. The Champion of Kirkwall could be called the leader of such a revolution simply because of his involvement in the Kirkwall chapter of said revolution. In the end the larger scope of things is that the Circle of Magi, and by my understanding all of them, has been thrown into chaos and is no longer kept in check by the templars, the Templars are going on a mad mage killing spree because of mages seeming to think they no longer need to listen. The Chantry religion is falling rapidly because of the events that have been happening with the mages and templars and people are losing faith in the Chantry.

Also if you notice at the end they state that not only did the Warden-Commander from the first game mysteriously dissapear, but so did the Champion of Kirkwall. This means that there is something far bigger than we can imagine happening behind the scenes. Not to mention that Origins was about the 5th Blight, there are still POSSIBLY 2 more blights to go through, it is rumored in one of the possible endings of Awakening that there is a blight currently happening in the Anderfels.

As to you people saying that this game is short? Apparently you don't explore much, I just finished my second playthrough both times doing EVERY single quest in the game and it took my roughly 50-60 hours to beat. It took me 30 to get everything on Origins.

My speculation on what would happen eventually in the Dragon Age series is that if these "Heroes" of the Kirkwall and Ferelden are truely dissapearing, I feel that it may lead to a game where you have to find the lost heroes and gather them to fight a great evil that we may not know anything about yet.

After all, there are still 2 Old Gods left to kill.
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 02:51
    KellissAmberlee said:
    About 2/3 of the way through year 4 I thought, okay, so eventually I become "the champion of Kirkwall" but who exactly am I championing? I still don't have an answer for that at the beginning of year 7. I don't feel like I've served Kirkwall particularly. I don't even feel like I've particularly championed the Templar or Mage factions.play through years 5 and 6. (And maybe when I finish year 7 I won't feel that way and it won't matter). But right now I feel like I've basically been fighting to maintain the status quo which isn't satisfying.
    Kirkwall has been "tolerating" Qunari warriors in their city for almost 4 years. You are "The Champion of Kirkwall" because either: A. You convinced the Arishok to take his people and leave peacfully and in turn saving the rest of Kirkwall from being slaughtered by these Qunari. Or B. You, a simple Ferelden refugee, single handedly cut down an Arishok. Not many can say they have done such a thing.

THAT is why you are The Chapion of Kirkwall, and I think you damn well deserved it.
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 03:05
    As R0me Burns said:
    Just want you to know that just because it takes part in a certain city doesn't mean anything major doesn't come of it.

Think about it. How do revolutions occur? They occur on small scale until it is blown in to proportion. The Champion of Kirkwall could be called the leader of such a revolution simply because of his involvement in the Kirkwall chapter of said revolution. In the end the larger scope of things is that the Circle of Magi, and by my understanding all of them, has been thrown into chaos and is no longer kept in check by the templars, the Templars are going on a mad mage killing spree because of mages seeming to think they no longer need to listen. The Chantry religion is falling rapidly because of the events that have been happening with the mages and templars and people are losing faith in the Chantry.

Also if you notice at the end they state that not only did the Warden-Commander from the first game mysteriously dissapear, but so did the Champion of Kirkwall. This means that there is something far bigger than we can imagine happening behind the scenes. Not to mention that Origins was about the 5th Blight, there are still POSSIBLY 2 more blights to go through, it is rumored in one of the possible endings of Awakening that there is a blight currently happening in the Anderfels.

As to you people saying that this game is short? Apparently you don't explore much, I just finished my second playthrough both times doing EVERY single quest in the game and it took my roughly 50-60 hours to beat. It took me 30 to get everything on Origins.

My speculation on what would happen eventually in the Dragon Age series is that if these "Heroes" of the Kirkwall and Ferelden are truely dissapearing, I feel that it may lead to a game where you have to find the lost heroes and gather them to fight a great evil that we may not know anything about yet.

After all, there are still 2 Old Gods left to kill.
    While it is very true that the actual events in the game could and probably did lead to other major events, none of that stuff really happens in the game, you just get told about it at the end. I was just saying that compared to all other bioware titles I can think of, and I've played em all, the events of the actual game were a little mundane. Its not short, Its not even bad. Its a great game. But the story is mostly about a refuge making it big in a new city, and gets involved in a bloody political scenario.
  • K1d lcarusK1d lcarus366,150
    Posted on 14 March 11 at 03:13
    How is the story not epic?

Cubans flee communism to land of opportunity. Gains money, respect and power.
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 03:15, Edited on 14 March 11 at 03:21 by As R0me Burns
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I did at some points wish, man the guide showed me all of Orlais and Tevinter Emperium, yet I can't go there. However, I think it was a great way to set up things to happen in Dragon Age 3, especially since:

SPOILER

Leliana is at the end of the game working with Cassandra ;}
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 03:17
    Lol with all the spoilers you have posted, its funny thats the one you put a spoiler tag on.
  • Posted on 14 March 11 at 03:18, Edited on 14 March 11 at 03:18 by As R0me Burns
    Lol hey man, she's a bigger character than all of it combined xD

Plus if you are here, by now you have beaten the game anyway lol.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads