Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Wednesday XBL Content Roundup: January 8th, 2014

• punkyliarpunkyliar240,340
  • DeeUUDeeUU251,320
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 15:33
    Just to remind people, we are currently unable to report on Xbox One DLC or demos in this article as they are currently only available to download through the Xbox One console. Until Microsoft sees fit to integrate this content into Xbox.com, this will not change any time soon.
    Ok, I've got to ask why, you are only able post news on things that are available to download through xbox.com?
    I'm confused with the distinction on reporting release news between content that is available on xbox.com and that which is available on the console.
  • ScuzzyBunnyScuzzyBunny1,266,812
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 15:40
    I think it has to do with scanning the xbox.com marketplace...new content appears and can be reported on, but with xbox one someone had to physically find and report new content. The dlc/demos DO get reported (see yesterdays Forza 5 IGN pack article), but can't be "automatically" scheduled since they have to wait for reports or press releases.
    Look at me so I can finish!
  • DeeUUDeeUU251,320
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 15:43
    Ah, ok, I wasn't aware this artice was automatically generated by scraping xbox.com
  • GruelingJSRGruelingJSR290,674
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 15:43
    Did they just decide to stop releasing new arcade games every week? Used to be a new one every Wednesday.
  • Posted on 08 January 14 at 15:47
    GruelingJSR said:
    Did they just decide to stop releasing new arcade games every week? Used to be a new one every Wednesday.
    Holidays.
  • DeeUUDeeUU251,320
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 15:47
    I'd imagine the release of the xbox one has diluted things a little.
  • Posted on 08 January 14 at 16:04
    It appears the just released Illustrious Pirates Pack for Assassin's Creed IV had a price drop also. Not sure if that's permanent or if the original price was a price mistake.
  • punkyliarpunkyliar240,340
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 16:11
    Danowat32 said:
    ScuzzyBunny said:
    Danowat32 said:
    Ok, I've got to ask why, you are only able post news on things that are available to download through xbox.com?
    I'm confused with the distinction on reporting release news between content that is available on xbox.com and that which is available on the console.
    I think it has to do with scanning the xbox.com marketplace...new content appears and can be reported on, but with xbox one someone had to physically find and report new content. The dlc/demos DO get reported (see yesterdays Forza 5 IGN pack article), but can't be "automatically" scheduled since they have to wait for reports or press releases.
    Ah, ok, I wasn't aware this artice was automatically generated by scraping xbox.com
    We don't scrape Xbox.com, neither is this article automatically generated, although you are close. We do use Xbox.com, but all of the information is gathered by hand from information that anybody can access. This is a process that already takes longer than it should due to the need to now find prices from five different regions. However, it can be done by one person by a simple process on Xbox.com. That person doesn't even need to log in.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are a few reasons why we do not gather the info from the Xbox One console:

1) This article gives you direct download links for the DLC / demo / games so that people can download them away from their console. Until Microsoft sees fit to integrate the Xbox One content into xbox.com, we can't provide these links. People are restricted to purchasing the content on their console at the moment too, something that I hope Microsoft realises is not the best of ideas.

2) To "physically find and report new content" to use Scuzzy's terminology (I couldn't have put it better myself) would take much, much longer on a console. As mentioned above, the info is gathered by one person on a website without even needing to log in with a valid gamertag. Using copy and paste, the information is easily transferred. To gather this information on a console, that person needs five different gamertags from the five regions for which we provide pricing. They then have to log in to each, type out the descriptions for the content manually and type in the prices. I'm not prepared to ask any of my voluntary team to spend this much time gathering details for an article when Microsoft can't be bothered to provide the information themselves.

3) Many of our voluntary team, myself included, write articles from work. For some reason, our bosses don't like us using consoles there.

4) We used to use the Xbox 360 console for this information but then the new release DLC information became extremely unreliable. Some new releases in the UK would be missing from the list, while those that made it to the list were often not displayed in correct date order. Older releases would show up in the list before the newer releases, meaning that things got missed. In the US, the new release information never updated until late into the evening.
  • DeeUUDeeUU251,320
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 16:15
    1) This article gives you direct download links for the DLC / demo / games so that people can download them away from their console. Until Microsoft sees fit to integrate the Xbox One content into xbox.com, we can't provide these links. People are restricted to purchasing the content on their console at the moment too, something that I hope Microsoft realises is not the best of ideas.
    That's not strictly correct......

https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Halo-Spartan-Ass...

You can currently buy games (but yes, not addons or demos) through the "store"
  • Mi GentiMi Genti209,733
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 16:22
    Meh
  • Rista BRista B791,201
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 17:41
    The DLC for "Farming Simulator 2013" is really that much? Admittedly I know nothing about the game but that must be some spectacular DLC.

And here I passed on the Mafia II sale because the DLC packs are each as much as the game right now.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,406,014
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 18:23
    GruelingJSR said:
    January is one of the worst months to release a game from a sales perspective. The vast majority of your consumers are busy playing the games they got for the holidays, and aren't looking to buy anything else for the time being. When they are, that's when we see the March blockbuster releases (which in past years have included Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and Mass Effect 3), and then some smaller, more XBLA-y releases in April to supplement that. They typically hold the market over til June, when we see the smaller major titles get released (trying to be the "summer must-have game"), but then no one releases again over the summer except for some arcades (and only because of MS's "Summer of Arcade"). That takes us all the way to the holiday season, with one major blockbuster releasing in September to beat that crowd, and then the rest packing in the last week of October through mid-November.

The gaming calendar in a nutshell smile
    I miss the good old days of WW2 Call of Duty
  • wbswbs986,996
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 20:03
    punkyliar said:
    Danowat32 said:
    ScuzzyBunny said:
    Danowat32 said:
    We don't scrape Xbox.com, neither is this article automatically generated, although you are close. We do use Xbox.com, but all of the information is gathered by hand from information that anybody can access. This is a process that already takes longer than it should due to the need to now find prices from five different regions. However, it can be done by one person by a simple process on Xbox.com. That person doesn't even need to log in.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are a few reasons why we do not gather the info from the Xbox One console:

2) To "physically find and report new content" to use Scuzzy's terminology (I couldn't have put it better myself) would take much, much longer on a console. As mentioned above, the info is gathered by one person on a website without even needing to log in with a valid gamertag. Using copy and paste, the information is easily transferred. To gather this information on a console, that person needs five different gamertags from the five regions for which we provide pricing. They then have to log in to each, type out the descriptions for the content manually and type in the prices. I'm not prepared to ask any of my voluntary team to spend this much time gathering details for an article when Microsoft can't be bothered to provide the information themselves.

3) Many of our voluntary team, myself included, write articles from work. For some reason, our bosses don't like us using consoles there.

4) We used to use the Xbox 360 console for this information but then the new release DLC information became extremely unreliable. Some new releases in the UK would be missing from the list, while those that made it to the list were often not displayed in correct date order. Older releases would show up in the list before the newer releases, meaning that things got missed. In the US, the new release information never updated until late into the evening.
    You don't need separate region gamertags to access those marketplaces. You can change the region of your console and access those marketplaces. I did this and downloaded every app from every region available on X1 and was able to view their pricing. The region change only takes a minute or less for your console to reboot.
  • poochz0rzpoochz0rz271,432
    Posted on 08 January 14 at 20:17, Edited on 08 January 14 at 20:31 by poochz0rz
    Rista B said:
    The DLC for "Farming Simulator 2013" is really that much? Admittedly I know nothing about the game but that must be some spectacular DLC.
    I would probably agree with you. 7 bucks, and you have to purchase it with in-game money. But then again, to each their own. My cousin grew up loving trains and he's likely dumped hundreds of dollars into Train Simulator. I can't understand why someone would do that, but I guess he enjoys it. I can't really see someone growing up loving farming and wanting to do it digitally, but hey. :P The game is probably alright through. I like simulators.

Edit: Look at me, being a hypocrite. I've spent hundreds on Rock Band DLC. Different genres, but still.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 January 14 at 21:03
    The words "without achievements" should never be allowed to be said or typed ever again!
    THE NEW AND IMPROVED XBOX ONE.......FREE OF TYRANNICAL RULES AND REGS
  • Posted on 08 January 14 at 22:47
    Nothing new.
    MICROSOFT 4 LYFE GUNGA
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo298,484
    Posted on 09 January 14 at 03:52
    punkyliar said:
    Those bastards! smile
    'We all make choices, but in the end those choices make us'
  • xxJackylxxxxJackylxx315,431
    Posted on 09 January 14 at 04:47
    MugenKairo said:
    punkyliar said:
    Those bastards! smile
    Did we get the TPS reports in on time.....

mmmmmmmyeah...... I'm gonna need you to work this weekend.
    xxJackylxx
  • I darklost II darklost I112,464
    Posted on 09 January 14 at 08:45
    Better than nothing!
    >> Tampa Bay Buccaneers <<
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.