Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games of 2005 / 2006

• WeisGuy9WeisGuy9654,522
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 00:47
    Out of the 10 games you chose, only one had a community rating of 4.0 or better?
    CEO/GSSP: Not polite, patient, or politically correct.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 00:49
    Great games !!! Made 100% on some of them !!!!
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 00:56
    EMPATH1C MIM1C said:
    James48025 said:
    What about Marvel Ultimate Alliance? Was a great launch title and was a great co op game. It still holds up today too, and I really wanna see a Ultimate Alliance 3.
    I agree with you, but alas, we will probably never get a third installment. cry
    MUA made my honorable mention list.

Loved that game.
    How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 01:03
    WeisGuy9 said:
    Out of the 10 games you chose, only one had a community rating of 4.0 or better?
    I counted two, Weis. wink
    My teeth taste funny today. They seem more jagged than normal.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 01:04
    WHAT ABOUT SEAN BEAN IN OBLIVION!!!
    It was amazing, even as a voice actor he plays his character the only way Sean Bean can!
    Spoiler Alert....
    Freedom is the right of all sentient beings
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 01:38
    What? Sneak King didn't make the list? What kind of nonsense is that?

:P
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 01:44
    Ahh Dead Rising one. What a classic. Obviously haven't played #3 yet, but I hope it doesn't get too over the top with all the combo weapon/vehicle stuff. Seems like they could miss some of that quirky charm the original had by focusing too much on zany ass weapons.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 02:33
    Dead Rising, all the way.

While the Gears sequels dramatically overhauled the appearance and multiplayer, making the original GoW a bit of a chore to go back and play, Dead Rising stands the test of time. It looks dated next to its outstanding sequel only by virtue of having dumber survivors and music CDs which, like their real-life counterparts, are best put to use as projectiles to ward off the ravenous undead.

Two different Geometry Wars games comparable to the Live Arcade version came packed in with Project Gotham Racing 3, so if anything it's the racing game that should be representing Bizarre Creations on this list.

Besides, PGR3 is that rare creature, a racing game with an awesome premise, something that usually doesn't go from design to execution without shitting the bed along the way. Every car in the game can exceed 170mph, if I remember correctly. That means no BS challenges where you have to race a London bus or a dump truck between cones, no ironic choices like AMC Gremlin or Hummer H2 in the game's automotive roster. Just garage after sun-drenched garage of lovingly-displayed, alarmingly fast dream cars.
    "The universe is change, life is opinion." - Marcus Aurelius
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 02:43
    DOOM The Return said:
    WeisGuy9 said:
    Ah, yep. You're right.
  • ElyohElyoh824,586
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 03:07
    WeisGuy9 said:
    DOOM The Return said:
    WeisGuy9 said:
    Ah, yep. You're right.
    Are there actually any other games other than the two mentioned that have over a 4.0 ratio? I could try find out but my knowledge of release dates is blurred beyond worth laugh
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,944,149
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 03:31
    matdan12 said:
    Some that were missed Test Drive Unlimited, Hitman Blood Money, BF2MC, F.E.A.R, Far Cry IP, Burnout Revenge, THAW, Gun, Most Wanted 2005 and GRAW 1. All I would say are part of the classic titles of 360.

Call of Duty 2 was nothing special in a worn genre I preferred Vegas 1 still a great game many years later.
    Agree. CoD 2 didn't really do anything for me. FEAR and GRAW, on the other hand...

That Gears trailer. Mad World. Breathtaking. Perhaps the best game trailer ever made, still.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 03:54, Edited on 16 November 13 at 04:00 by PrettyColt21109
    Gears of War, Oblivion, Dead Rising, PGR3, F.E.A.R. So many awesome games. Only Oblivion is in my top ten of the generation however, but those others were f'ing excellent. Will look back on this gen and remember the good times.

2007? Halo 3, CoD 4, Bioshock, Forza 2, Crackdown, Mass Effect, The Darkness.....dayum some great games.

Fast forward to PS4/XB1 launch, and all we have is crap so far. Looking and waiting for the gems to come.
    That Veronica Vaughn....
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 03:58
    Of the Fine Five, I played 4 (no Oblivion here) and loved 2 (Condemned: Criminal Origins & Gears Of War). The first 360 game I bought was Condemned (in October 2006), but the REAL reason I bought a 360 was for Gears of War. smile
    "Best In The World!" - CM Punk
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 04:01
    Played 2 of these and own 4 others. Looking forward to the next set of years.
    Lord Namlig
  • monlienNH3monlienNH31,193,879
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 04:58, Edited on 16 November 13 at 04:59 by monlienNH3
    Doing a countdown myself and blogging about it. Playing one year per day til launch next Friday. Did 2005 Wed, 2006 Thurs, and working on 2007 right now.

05/06 Best games
    Dead Rising
    Gears of War
    Burnout Revenge or PGR3
    Oblivion (graded on a curve, hard to judge in a quick session)
    Saints Row

I didn't think Call of Duty 2 held up at all. It wouldn't make my top 25 from 05/06.

Of all the launch titles, Amped 3 really stood out also. Loved that game.
  • vSullyvSully943,678
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 07:25, Edited on 16 November 13 at 07:29 by vSully
    Gears 1 was the reason I bought my first xbox in March 2007. Such an amazing game.

I played Dead Rising 1 for the first time back in April and thought it was great, especially for being several years old.

And I just started and completed Condemned, which was a relatively easy completion. It doesn't stand up as well as the other two games when compared to what currnt games look and play like, but it was definitely great for a launch title.

And Viva Pinata has been on my "I want to play it eventually" list for a while.
  • Silver SalvoSilver Salvo827,757
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 08:49
    JRPGsForTheWin said:
    What? Sneak King didn't make the list? What kind of nonsense is that?

:P
    laugh
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 09:27
    DEAD RISING ALL THE WAY!!!!
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 09:40, Edited on 16 November 13 at 09:59 by WeisGuy9
    Elyoh said:
    WeisGuy9 said:
    DOOM The Return said:
    WeisGuy9 said:
    Ah, yep. You're right.
    Are there actually any other games other than the two mentioned that have over a 4.0 ratio? I could try find out but my knowledge of release dates is blurred beyond worth laugh
    Well, there's
    Final Fantasy XI
    and
    Lost Odyssey
    for starters. I'm sure there must be others.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 09:54, Edited on 16 November 13 at 09:55 by Pixel Smash 93
    Zoku Gojira said:
    Two different Geometry Wars games comparable to the Live Arcade version came packed in with Project Gotham Racing 3, so if anything it's the racing game that should be representing Bizarre Creations on this list.

Besides, PGR3 is that rare creature, a racing game with an awesome premise, something that usually doesn't go from design to execution without shitting the bed along the way. Every car in the game can exceed 170mph, if I remember correctly. That means no BS challenges where you have to race a London bus or a dump truck between cones, no ironic choices like AMC Gremlin or Hummer H2 in the game's automotive roster. Just garage after sun-drenched garage of lovingly-displayed, alarmingly fast dream cars.
    Ahh I loved the last bit of your post. SO damn true!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.