Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games of 2007

• The Ju1ceThe Ju1ce890,392
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 20:36
    This was arguably the best year for the 360. I played all of these except for Forza 2.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 20:46
    sm182 said:
    Is that picture for Forza 2 correct?
    I didn't think it was, looked like a NFS cop car. Unless someone did that with their paint job.

matdan12 said:
    So some others that I finally played (Solid list would say having played most of them that they are all solid games):

Battlestations Midway
    Tom Clancy's GRAW 2 (A glaring omission; but CoD right? Personally I prefer tactical shooters you actually need to use a bit of grey matter)
    DIRT (Have not played much but was fun)
    Stuntman Ignition
    Call of Juarez
    skate. (Another huge omission)
    Eternal Sonata (Amazing game surprised me to find it so fun)
    Ace Combat 6 Skies of Liberation (Something that should not be missed)
    MoH Airborne (Last decent MoH game. RIP)
    NFS Pro-Street (Not horrible game decent enough to move through).

PC:
    Command and Conquer 3 (worth mentioning over console port)
    Where the hell is Skate! That game was a freaking classic!
    Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m....5th in the WORLD!!!
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 21:05
    Sonic Grunge said:
    I bought my first 360 in 2007 with Mass Effect, Forza 2 and Viva Pinata.
    Me too, and but for 2 achievements in Forza, I've got 100% in all of them. That's inspired me to go back to where I started and finish Forza 2 off.
  • Drummin003Drummin003152,366
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 21:29
    Bioshock, Halo 3 and Rock Band were the best. CoD has been a copy/paste year over year, and has never been that impressive throughout its lifespan.
    Time to finish up BioShock Infinite on 1999 Mode.
  • workplaydieworkplaydie277,437
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 21:38
    Some fantastic games. That is all.
    Workplaydie
  • B rizzle098B rizzle098195,316
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 22:28
    Great list. Shame i've not played them all yet facepalm
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 22:46
    Played six out of the ten games mentioned, and liked all of them.

Three of them (Bioshock, Mass Effect & The Orange Box) I've put on my list of best 360 games ever made.

Would have put CoD4:MW also on the list, but the infinite respawns on Veteran drive me crazy.

Looking forward to the 2008 list. Wasn't FO3 released that year?
  • AnavrynAnavryn687,707
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 23:05
    That was a great year! So many classic games, The only ones I never played were Guitar Hero and Rockband, but the rest I really enjoyed. Good choices.
  • Posted on 16 November 13 at 23:12
    I haven't played Avatar-but I feel to put it on this list as a bad game simply because the achievements are easy is a pretty weird cheap shot. If you only want to play a game long enough to get all achievements in it and can do so without beating the game? That's on you. It's up to the gamers to play a game...... but that's just my two cents.
    I'm not as random as you think I salad
  • Vr EnglishVr English796,774
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 23:32
    TheJoshwha said:
    2007 was a brilliant year for 360 games. All of the top 5 (excluding Rock Band) will undoubtedly be strong competitors for Game of the Generation too.
    Agree wow, easily one of the best years ever!
  • S P 4 C E YS P 4 C E Y397,983
    Posted on 16 November 13 at 23:59
    Assassin's Creed 2 was infinitely better than the first game.

Halo 3 was absolutely superb and so was CoD 4. I voted for both of these...
    Posted on 17 November 13 at 00:00
    Drummin003 said:
    Bioshock, Halo 3 and Rock Band were the best. CoD has been a copy/paste year over year, and has never been that impressive throughout its lifespan.
    Modern Warfare 1 was a genre changing game.
  • Posted on 17 November 13 at 00:06, Edited on 17 November 13 at 00:10 by aka Kryptonian
    I had no idea all these games released in 2007. You know it's a good year when The Orange Box doesn't get into the Top 5.S P 4 C E Y said:
    Drummin003 said:
    Modern Warfare 1 was a genre changing game.
    Agreed, there is a reason they keep copy/pasting CoD4.
    Each One Teach One
  • justinman114justinman114196,776
    Posted on 17 November 13 at 00:16
    Orange Box is an "honorable mention." And COD made the list.

I'm done.
    I am a leaf on the wind....watch how I soar.
  • CASS190684CASS190684253,925
    Posted on 17 November 13 at 00:30
    I've only played Forza 2 and COD4: MW, but I think I gave both 5 stars if I remember rightly.

I thought Forza 2 was excellent and I actually liked it much more than Forza 3. I just liked the career layout a lot better, and I spent countless hours in the auction house - some people's designs were amazing! Can't compare it to Forza 4 as I'm yet to start that, but I do have it coming in the mail hopefully early next week.

Modern Warfare was one of the first FPS I played on the 360 and it's probably the game that got me really into the genre. Unfortunately Modern Warfare 2 didn't bring the same magic for me when I decided to play that straight after :( I still put COD4 in my top 10 retail Xbox360 games today though smile
    I like what I like and I don't what I don't.
    Posted on 17 November 13 at 00:34
    ptracey1421 said:
    Wow. Didn't bother reading the rest of the article after I got to the end of GHIII and saw that 'sitting in closets everywhere' bullshit. What a self-centered assumption to think just because one person sucks or doesn't enjoy jamming out on the plastic guitar as much as everyone else, that the game is dead. I still play GHII-GH:WoR till today! The only Rock Band worth playing is 3 since all the songs are transferred via liscence purchases.

Would have been a game changer is Activision ever stepped up their game like Harmonix and made a 'super' GH That allowed you to transfer/download all the previous GH tracks, starting from GHII onward. I think that would've given the franchise a little more longevity at least. Would've helped keep it in the running with Harmonix a little longer at least, given em a run for their money. laugh
    The article is absolutely right though. Those plastic guitars have had their day... It was a novelty, like Pokemon was originally. And yo-yos and tamagotchis before that!
  • Posted on 17 November 13 at 01:32
    Tamagotchi laugh
    Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m....5th in the WORLD!!!
  • Posted on 17 November 13 at 01:59
    Halo 3 by far was the best in 2007, then cod 4.
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo298,691
    Posted on 17 November 13 at 06:36
    I'm glad Bioshock made it to #1, it certainly set the standard for games from that point on, very few of which I believe made the cut. I started the Orange Box just for the ridiculous number of achievements but became another hardcore Valve fan, felt this should have made the Top 5.
    'We all make choices, but in the end those choices make us'
  • DMThirteenDMThirteen402,978
    Posted on 17 November 13 at 07:31
    I would venture to say 2007 was the greatest year of video games on record.

The huge number of people who HAVEN'T played these games is just confirmation that Microsoft are justified in the Games With Gold promotion choices.

Call of duty 4 IS the best Call of Duty game bar none.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.