Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Games of 2012

• Posted on 22 November 13 at 22:45
    Delith said:
    MEETSP1NNER said:
    This list absolutely needs Spec Ops: The Line on it somewhere, even if just an honorable mention.

Easily among the most under-rated games of this generation.
    I picked this game up in the three pack from Walmart (BL2 and Mafia 2 are the others). It was everyone's rave reviews of the game as a story and not a FPS that sold me on buying it. I look forward to playing it sometime this winter.
    It has a good story, though I didn't think it was amazing or anything. The graphics I thought were mostly wonderful, with some real beautiful environments. The gameplay was the best, but I thought the shooting was very serviceable and the cover mechanics were alright. It was no Gears of War in terms of gameplay, but it was better than Uncharted's shooting and cover mechanics easily, but for some reason no-one wants to criticise that game or franchise for a valid reason, whereas Spec Ops being an under the radar game got butchered for its gameplay (all I ever heard people talk about).

I thought the game was perhaps underappreciated though not exactly underrated. I feel like I should play it again as I might enjoy it more. I have beat it 3 times though...
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ;)
  • Weasel PizzaWeasel Pizza1,689,152
    Posted on 22 November 13 at 23:48
    I liked the Walking Dead, but I'll never understand why everyone has such a hard on for it. The characters were pretty bland, gameplay was meh but understandable, would freeze up, and other than the decisions pulling at your moral strings (and you know it's a game, it doesn't really matter) the story is just alright too. Other than a few dialogues and cutscenes, your choices don't REALLY affect the game... It was short too! Only dragged out because it was episodic. Ah well, I'll never get it.
    Ask yourself one thing, how fly?
  • Posted on 23 November 13 at 00:58, Edited on 23 November 13 at 01:01 by Smash Da Halo
    IRONTAP99 said:
    Smash Da Halo said:
    whoa whoa whoa, never have i ever disagreed TA's top 5 (and honorable mentions) list so much. first off, im with the majority; borderlands 2 needs to be in top 5. second, i hope TA realizes halo 4 AND assassin's creed 3 are considered THE worst installments of their respective franchises by their hardcore fans (worse than reach and revelations). no joke, i seriously dislike both with a HUGE passion. third, trials evolution AND max payne 3? the number of people i personally know who played either i can count on one hand.
    Halo 4 & AC 3 are much better than borderlands 2. I don't know how borderlands got popular it's okay but defiantly not better than any halo or Ac game
    you are literally the first person i met to have actually said h4 and ac3 are better than bl2.

halo 4 - majority of the game required online connection and installation, firefight removed bc firefight was "bungie's thing," non-optional sprint, multiplayer unlocks, customized loadouts, unoriginal promethean weapons, no dual wielding, garbage storyline and overall campaign, theater mode only records multiplayer, etc. from a long time die-hard halo fan's standpoint, all of the above made 4 100% unacceptable

assassin's creed 3 - glitchiest game in the series, uninteresting protagonist in general, more unnecessary drawn out campaign than in the past (at least to me), multiplayer hardly changed (still against it actually being in ac to begin with), dlc literally turned conner into a superhero (ill admit that was fun but it being a what-if seems like a waste), etc. again, from an ac fan from the beginning, all of the above is 100% unacceptable

i understand change is necessary but when that change is numerous, drastic, and completely in the wrong direction, you got to take a stand and say something. and yes, i already said all of this to 343 and ubisoft already
  • Posted on 23 November 13 at 01:03
    Weasel Pizza said:
    I liked the Walking Dead, but I'll never understand why everyone has such a hard on for it. The characters were pretty bland, gameplay was meh but understandable, would freeze up, and other than the decisions pulling at your moral strings (and you know it's a game, it doesn't really matter) the story is just alright too. Other than a few dialogues and cutscenes, your choices don't REALLY affect the game... It was short too! Only dragged out because it was episodic. Ah well, I'll never get it.
    the best is the reviews for Rise saying how repetative and boring the gameplay is but TWD has an even more boring gameplay yet people LOVE it.
  • Posted on 23 November 13 at 09:07
    Sleeping dogs should have been top 5. Really good game, dlc also good, though the zombie dlc kind of sucked. ME3 glad to see in top 5. AC3 was not worth the mention, terrible game. Halo 4 was one of the worst Halo games...
  • Rogue ShaddoRogue Shaddo218,133
    Posted on 23 November 13 at 17:48
    No Borderlands 2 and Dishonored not in the Fine Five?? I've put up with headscratchers up until this point without much fuss, but this is absurd. I still play Borderlands 2 just as much as any other game, and Dishonored was a masterpiece and a new IP. Surely it should have replaced one of the threequels...
  • Posted on 23 November 13 at 17:53
    Rohg said:
    No Borderlands 2 and Dishonored not in the Fine Five?? I've put up with headscratchers up until this point without much fuss, but this is absurd. I still play Borderlands 2 just as much as any other game, and Dishonored was a masterpiece and a new IP. Surely it should have replaced one of the threequels...
    this is why i said my comment before on how they should have a vote for each year
  • PhilmnatorPhilmnator267,278
    Posted on 24 November 13 at 09:10
    glad to see Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 3, and Sleeping Dogs on here :D

surprised Borderlands 2 isn't here, it was pretty fun for a while. but yeah the others definitely are great haha
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 November 13 at 18:55
    Dishonored, Max Payne 3 and Trials Evo. Awesome year!
  • Dancing RobDancing Rob154,879
    Posted on 25 November 13 at 10:19
    Spec Ops: The Line was a very interesting experiment, as just about the only anti-war shooter I've ever played, or even been aware of. In doing do, it completely skewered the current obsessions of the generation, and as such it's a game anyone with a true interest in gaming should have played.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

I'm still undecided as to whether the ludicrously generic name and standard nature of the gameplay are part of several layers of irony or not, and the game is clever enough in other aspects to make me think they may well be.
  • Posted on 25 November 13 at 14:46, Edited on 25 November 13 at 16:31 by a Fi1thy Casual
    Iceberg082006 said:
    Rohg said:
    this is why i said my comment before on how they should have a vote for each year
    Holy sh*t people, clam yourselves down. This is based on individuals OPINIONS (with a bit of community justification involved wink). Having a different opinion doesn't mean you are right and the OP's are wrong - it just means you thought some games were better / worse. roll

For example, I thought Dishonored was an overrated pile of crap - it had a predictable storyline, weak character development, bland plot points, and "meh" abilities save 1: blink. Overall I thought it was a poorly done Oblivion without the open world concept.

But everyone else seemed to love it, so it is not surprising how it ended up here.
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 13 May 14 at 17:01
    I would personally replace Walking Dead with Dishonored, and perhaps move Max Payne 3 up a bit, but otherwise great list!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.