Talk about TrueAchievements

General chat about all things TA

Negative vote magnet avoidance techniques

• Posted on 10 August 17 at 20:25Permalink
    Beanpotter said:
    No, not really, although if there's been a comment on your solution to say it's been discontinued then I would suggest you add a header to say so.
    Fair point, thank you
    I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
  • Posted on 16 April 18 at 18:49Permalink
    Haha, don't get into sessions with angry people.
    But really, try only trusted gamers you know. :)

But also really...
    Does it matter in the end? No, it doesn't.

But also really really, have fun.
    "Imagine if you only woke up tomorrow with the things you prayed for today."
  • BeanpotterBeanpotter1,078,923
  • TIDLEYTIDLEY47,809
    Posted on 26 October 18 at 15:45Permalink
    W8taminute1941 said:
    The only reason why I vote negative on a solution is to drop it from first place so that the second or third solution rises to the top. Then when I print out my todo list the solutions I want get printed because they are in first place.

What I look for when someone writes a solution:

1. Give the name of the achievement if it is listed as secret achievement
    2. Can the achievement be completed with a second controller and a dummy account for multiplayer achievements?
    3. If it is a grinding achievement how long is it going to take?
    4. Videos - While they're nice to have I generally tend to prefer written instructions. Who's going to watch a video while playing for an achievement? Sure you could have your iPAD sitting on your lap to watch the video but please...no. Just no.
    5. There are more reasons, all related to how easy I can print out and follow a guide during gameplay, but I won't list any more for now.
    I do not vote one way or the other primarily based on these kinds of comments both. I simplest upvote/downvote based totally at the deserves of the answer. i will admit that the annoyance thing from time to time makes me withhold an upvote on an amazing answer although. The handiest ones that honestly get an automatic downvote from me are those which can be blatantly coat-tailing or piggybacking on some other solution, or an uncredited reproduction/paste from some place else, i.e. from x360a or something.

suitable call on the "easy" success issue, as properly. I definitely forgot to encompass those which are like, "just finish the chapter...." or "simply kill the boss...".
  • CRUM LEECRUM LEE482,822
  • EvandalistEvandalist372,154
    Posted on 27 October 18 at 16:27, Edited on 27 October 18 at 16:38 by EvandalistPermalink
    Reading through this thread really just made me really want to downvote every crybaby's solutions. Good work, people.

I'm not going to, I'm just saying. You're making yourselves targets. Downvotes on solutions don't matter as much as some of you think they do. It's a video game website dedicated to hunting pointless achievements to increase a gamerscore number that nobody but you cares about. Chill.
    Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
  • DadmixDadmix191,101
    Posted on 12 December 19 at 07:50Permalink
    Hmm. Intresting.

I wrote a vaild up to date solition for rouge warrior quite sometime ago.
    It worked well & could be done quicly,it was something i figured out not another solutions idea & could be done not only on the 1st lvl i also explained how to do it on the 1st npc.

The only other solution was to get the achievement much later in the game.

I pulled it as it got 8/4 the negs mabye if i had read this i wouldn't of raged on the 4th neg so much
    bite the bullet.
  • x Mataeus xx Mataeus x1,039,961
    Posted on 02 January 20 at 11:42Permalink
    Since we're necroing this thread, I'll just pop this here:

I personally despise video only solutions. Videos can be great, and sometimes invaluable, but I will downvote a video only solution if it doesn't have ANY text AT ALL.

I need more information before I sit through your 30 second channel intro and your one minute personal intro only to discover it's absolutely not what I was looking for in the first place.

Give some information: Whether it's story related or not, at what stage of the game I need to be looking out for it, if there are any prerequisites to being to unlock it in the first place, whether it's single or multiplayer...

All of those things can be quickly explained, so that I know when to come back and use your video, and then upvote it if it's useful and accurate. If they're not explained, I'll just find a Steam guide instead.

All of that is pure personal preference, of course :-)
    "I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
  • Posted on 05 January 20 at 18:03Permalink
    I agree with Mataeus. I'll downvote a guide containing only an embedded video without even clicking play, and move onto the next. It's especially egregious on an achievement whose solution could be a single sentence, like "this takes place in level 8, Poopy Guns for Poopy People, right after you rescue Michael from the comically oversized paper shredder," but instead just has a 2 minute fucking video embed.
    My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
  • Posted on 17 May 20 at 07:16Permalink
    I definitely understand all these points here, and why it would make someone want to downvote. Me personally I up vote if the guide/ solution helped me in any way. If it didn't I just won't vote either way. Atleast the person took the time to try and help someone with the achievement. Not giving the upvote is enough Imo. I know most won't agree and feel the downvote will help them possibly make better solutions in the future, and I see that point as well.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk967,078
    Posted on 18 May 20 at 14:50Permalink
    SpartanWolf 187 said:
    I definitely understand all these points here, and why it would make someone want to downvote. Me personally I up vote if the guide/ solution helped me in any way. If it didn't I just won't vote either way. Atleast the person took the time to try and help someone with the achievement. Not giving the upvote is enough Imo. I know most won't agree and feel the downvote will help them possibly make better solutions in the future, and I see that point as well.
    You might aswell add a 3rd option then "Upvote" "Downvote" and an "At least you added a solution"
  • Sazaq213Sazaq213265,612
    Posted on 20 May 20 at 00:23Permalink
    Hi thanks for this guide.

But after the problem comes mainly from those who vote negatively.

It is true that the points that you brought improves the quality of the guide without any doubt.

But after that there are certain achievements which have various methods to obtain him.

For example: finish level 10 on difficult, kill 10 enemies with a helicopter ect

We are not all at the same level, we are not also strong in the same things, others do not play in the same way.

when a guide is easier according to the author it is according to his case and for others it will be the best but does that justify a negative vote because X or Y does not succeed?

Or because he said it was the easiest?

Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion, as long as a guide is allows to obtain an achievement he does not have to have a negative vote.

smile
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.