Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

July's Games with Gold Titles Revealed

  • PointySpredPointySpred347,986
    Posted on 02 July 14 at 03:05
    Iceberg082006 said:PointySpred said:Billy Horrible said:Mikey V69 said:Chakaal Starr said:Billy Horrible said:I'm starting to get annoyed by all the people saying we should be thankful and have gratitude for Microsoft giving us free games at all.

    It's like a pizza baker telling you, "if you come dine at my restaurant all year, you get one pizza a month on the house". And then when you get there for your free pizza, and it turns out that it's a pizza with mushrooms, ansjovy and brussel sprouts, all things you hate. And then the pizza baker goes "sorry, the pizza might be a bit tasteless. I actually made it a year ago but nobody wanted it so I just put it in the freezer until I could give it to someone". And then you're going "you know what? Screw you, pizza guy! I'd rather go to the place across the street and pay for a pizza I actually want!".


    And then some hundred-year-old douchebag gets into the store and says "when I was your age, I'd be happy with having a pizza at all, let alone a free one", and that's where I'm ending the metaphor until it gets messy.
    That is ridiculous, I will give a real example along the same lines:

    I ordered pizza from my favorite pizza place the other day and they threw in a free order of ribs. I didn't ask for it, I didn't expect it, I didn't choose which item they offered, they just offered because they do that sometimes. Sometimes they have offered cheese bread, wings, salads etc. so it is different each time.

    I would say it's more like that. Being my favorite Pizza Place, I would still have ordered the Pizza whether that promotion was there or not because I am patronizing them for their pizza, as it is a quality pizza that I enjoy and not because of the fact they throw in free items.(they don't even advertise that they do that). It would be silly to pick a pizza place because of throw ins, you would be mostly eating conveyor belt pizza. If ribs wasn't my thing, I would just not get the promo instead of complaining all over the internet about how the Pizza Place offers garbage offers.

    Even when MS offered some older classics, that doesn't equate to a frozen year old oddball pizza, that would probably be the time the above place I just talked about offers free pizza bread or a free cheese pizza, which are both fairly popular menu items that many people would enjoy vs a more expensive menu item.
    Great example. Everyone needs to remember that 14 months ago you got nothing with Live Gold other than multiplayer. It may one day go back to that so download the games you think you might like and enjoy while it lasts.
    And 14 months ago I wasn't a fulltime Gold member. Everybody always expects that everybody else is a fulltime Gold member... While a lot of us don't care for multiplayer and only get Gold for the discounts and the GwG offers. So for us, GwG is not a little extra that we didn't account for but something we paid for. They started out with high profile stuff like Fable III, Assassin's Creed II and Halo 3 and drag you in, and then nothing for a long time.

    And to reply to Chakaal; apparently this is a situation in which 'most people would enjoy it' isn't true or we wouldn't have so many people complaining every time. And one of the other problems with your metaphor is that Microsoft DOES advertise with their free games.

    Main problem is this: you feel like the GwG is a good or at least acceptable extra, and that's your opinion. Well, that it sucks is our opinion but apparently we aren't allowed to voice our own thoughts. Do you hear yourself shouting "Get back in line, monkeys!"?

    Well my opinion is that the GwG offers blow 90% of the time and the other 10% is games I already own. So don't excuse me when I feel cheated and won't renew my Gold membership next time. You just out your opinion and I'll out mine, but never EVER tell me that I can't voice my thoughts because it's not compatible with yours.
    Bye, check out TrueTrophies.com you get a whole bunch of quality games on ps3. For FREE and you don't even have to pay a monthly fee. You would probably complain if they hung you with a new rope.
    What are you talking about??? You have to pay for ps+ to get the free stuff on ps3 facepalm
    lolz, oh yeah facepalm but its cheaper and the games are def newer and better variety though. Still all this dude does is complain. Getting old reading same negative bs.
    The difference between me and you? You don't think there's a difference between me and you.
  • Elvis WolfElvis Wolf170,735
  • Posted on 02 July 14 at 18:05
    How do uou downloed X1 games from xbox.com? Please send me a pm :)
  • Posted on 03 July 14 at 01:21
    it still says Halo SA is free on my x1
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • matdanmatdan804,146
    Posted on 03 July 14 at 01:36
    Iceberg082006 said:it still says Halo SA is free on my x1Ummm.... Yes they continued the other GWG as well as including the other game.
  • Posted on 03 July 14 at 22:30, Edited on 03 July 14 at 22:32 by Iceberg082006
    This post is contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • HD PwnyHD Pwny62,270
    Posted on 03 July 14 at 23:20
    I bought Gotham City when it released, and don't own Battleblock but have been dying to check it out. Pretty happy for this. Don't know what Guacamelee is but I'll get to it after I beat Wolfenstein and Battlefield, and Max.. It bores me quickly but it's a fun game.
    Games Completed(exc DLC): 30
  • DevilishHazeDevilishHaze768,836
    Posted on 11 July 14 at 14:28
    All quality games, yet you can't please all the people all the time. I'm lucky a game goes up that's decent that I don't own, but three in a month, awesome. You know what else? I don't complain when 4 months go by without a game I don't own. Don't forget most of us are in the 1% of hardcore gamers. Who raised you people?
  • Posted on 11 July 14 at 16:23
    DevilishHaze said:All quality games, yet you can't please all the people all the time. I'm lucky a game goes up that's decent that I don't own, but three in a month, awesome. You know what else? I don't complain when 4 months go by without a game I don't own. Don't forget most of us are in the 1% of hardcore gamers. Who raised you people?To be honest, since the GwG program started I have rarely bought a game - maybe a total of 4 in the past 12 months - and what I did buy were only via the Sales and Specials tab.

    Microsoft's program has saved me cash, and I can not complain about that at all. Pay ~$50 annually for Gold, and get a possible 24 games at no charge? I mean that is awesome. And sure, some games are old enough that I already own them or whatever, but if it is something I bought 2 years ago, and played the crap out of I won't complain.

    If it is something I bought last week, and now see as free is another story...roll

    But anyway, complaining about the games being handed out seems rather pointless. If you don't like the game, that is one thing: but complaining about getting an arcade title or two when you want retail? Come on - that is just silly.

    I snagged Charlie Murder last month, and to be honest I wasn't all that excited about it, however it is surprisingly fun! I guess that whole books and covers, you know, not judging them and such, should apply wink
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 12 July 14 at 03:24
    EMPATH1C MIM1C said:DevilishHaze said:All quality games, yet you can't please all the people all the time. I'm lucky a game goes up that's decent that I don't own, but three in a month, awesome. You know what else? I don't complain when 4 months go by without a game I don't own. Don't forget most of us are in the 1% of hardcore gamers. Who raised you people?To be honest, since the GwG program started I have rarely bought a game - maybe a total of 4 in the past 12 months - and what I did buy were only via the Sales and Specials tab.

    Microsoft's program has saved me cash, and I can not complain about that at all. Pay ~$50 annually for Gold, and get a possible 24 games at no charge? I mean that is awesome. And sure, some games are old enough that I already own them or whatever, but if it is something I bought 2 years ago, and played the crap out of I won't complain.

    If it is something I bought last week, and now see as free is another story...roll

    But anyway, complaining about the games being handed out seems rather pointless. If you don't like the game, that is one thing: but complaining about getting an arcade title or two when you want retail? Come on - that is just silly.

    I snagged Charlie Murder last month, and to be honest I wasn't all that excited about it, however it is surprisingly fun! I guess that whole books and covers, you know, not judging them and such, should apply wink
    More than 24 if you have the One as well smile
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • cheeky 315cheeky 315255,250 255,250 GamerScore
    Posted on 12 July 14 at 07:03
    Since gwg started I've only bothered with fable III and dead island not started, rainbow 6, sleeping dogs and Hitman most of the others I've not wanted even for free and a couple I've already owned like saints row and assassins creed so I don't think the offerings have been all that impressive really, I am also not a big multiplayer fan so I am looking at all the games ps+ are offering and thinking it blows gwg out of the water, that said with the games I have wanted it is probably worth the gold fee but only just

    Also reading this I don't understand how some people think the games are free if you pay for a service with extras included then the extras are not free, it's really not a difficult concept
  • Posted on 12 July 14 at 16:12, Edited on 12 July 14 at 16:16 by Izzy of Albion
    cheeky 315 said:Since gwg started I've only bothered with fable III and dead island not started, rainbow 6, sleeping dogs and Hitman most of the others I've not wanted even for free and a couple I've already owned like saints row and assassins creed so I don't think the offerings have been all that impressive really, I am also not a big multiplayer fan so I am looking at all the games ps+ are offering and thinking it blows gwg out of the water, that said with the games I have wanted it is probably worth the gold fee but only just

    Also reading this I don't understand how some people think the games are free if you pay for a service with extras included then the extras are not free, it's really not a difficult concept
    By your reasoning, no added extra would ever be free.

    The fact of the matter is, what you are paying for is the ability to play online multiplayer gaming. That is all it has ever been for. It's what I started paying for in 2004 on the original Xbox, long before any apps, before any party chat, and certainly long before and Games With Gold incentive. All those extra things are added benefits at no extra cost, i.e FREE.

    Here's an analogy: You buy a new car. It's $20,000. It's always been $20,000, but right now, you get a year's insurance for free. Someone like you would say, no, it's not free. I paid $20,000 for it. It's part of that $20,000. No, the car is $20,000. The insurance is free. Maybe you feel the car is overpriced and the insurance is the only thing that makes it good value. That's a different issue altogether.

    If you take all these extra things that Xbox Live NOW gives us for granted, then that's your problem. Maybe you are new to Xbox Live Gold and feel entitled to all these extra goodies, but please don't try to make out that you're right and everybody else is wrong.
    34 y.o Professional Digital Interface Designer, Artist & Consultant, veteran gamer, Suburban London.
  • Posted on 12 July 14 at 22:16
    ^This +1
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • cheeky 315cheeky 315255,250 255,250 GamerScore
    Posted on 12 July 14 at 22:34, Edited on 12 July 14 at 23:58 by cheeky 315
    I won't quote you no need for a wall of text

    I still don't understand your point can I have the years free insurance without buying the car for 20k? Of course I can't I'm paying for an extra included with a purchase I'm at a loss as to how it's free if it was free I could take the insurance without the car

    If the games were free I could download them without paying for gold, I've had gold since 2008 so I'm not new to it and gwg is a new thing but it is not free I just don't understand how people think it is, it's something new and wether you would still pay without the extra thrown in is totally irrelevant. And no I don't feel entitled I've been interested in so few of the games anyway it would make little difference to me if they removed the extra, and I'd still renew my gold it's just a fact that I'm not getting anything for free here

    Have these free games they only cost £30 a year
  • Posted on 12 July 14 at 22:57
    lost cause ^
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • cheeky 315cheeky 315255,250 255,250 GamerScore
    Posted on 12 July 14 at 23:22, Edited on 13 July 14 at 00:03 by cheeky 315
    Ok you win the games are free just you gotta pay a yearly fee for them facepalm

    You need to learn what free actually means just because you would buy a product without the added extra is moot

    I'll leave this now pointless carrying it on it will just be loads of stupid analogies about if you pay for this service but someone also throws this in etc etc

    I could add my own one about when I have too many apples growing on my tree I give them to my neighbour for free and don't charge him a monthly fee for any apples there totally you know free
  • Posted on 13 July 14 at 00:25
    cheeky 315 said:Ok you win the games are free just you gotta pay a yearly fee for them facepalm

    You need to learn what free actually means just because you would buy a product without the added extra is moot

    I'll leave this now pointless carrying it on it will just be loads of stupid analogies about if you pay for this service but someone also throws this in etc etc

    I could add my own one about when I have too many apples growing on my tree I give them to my neighbour for free and don't charge him a monthly fee for any apples there totally you know free
    you dont get it do you. Gold existed BEFORE GWG, which means when they added GWG and Golds price stayed the same, the games were given for free as a THANK YOU for having GOLD.
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • cheeky 315cheeky 315255,250 255,250 GamerScore
    Posted on 13 July 14 at 00:43
    I said I'd leave it but no your wrong it's added as an incentive to get more people to subscribe to gold and to stop people from switching to ps+ like the free insurance is to sell more cars business's don't give you anything for free it's not how things work

    If playstation we're not giving out free games you can bet your ass gwg would never have come into existence

    My dummy account is now silver ad's everywhere trying to get me to buy gold because I will now get some games added in.

    It really is pointless carrying this on enjoy your free games just don't forget to pay your subscription fee for them, I'll possibly enjoy the odd game thrown in as an extra for something I'm a paying member of
  • Posted on 13 July 14 at 18:18
    cheeky 315 said:I said I'd leave it but no your wrong it's added as an incentive to get more people to subscribe to gold and to stop people from switching to ps+ like the free insurance is to sell more cars business's don't give you anything for free it's not how things work

    If playstation we're not giving out free games you can bet your ass gwg would never have come into existence

    My dummy account is now silver ad's everywhere trying to get me to buy gold because I will now get some games added in.

    It really is pointless carrying this on enjoy your free games just don't forget to pay your subscription fee for them, I'll possibly enjoy the odd game thrown in as an extra for something I'm a paying member of
    if anything Sony giving the free games was to JUSTIFY them beginning to charge and even create PS+, Sony realized that Microsoft was destroying them with online and the only way to better their online and improve security was to charge for online. hence PS+ was created, BUT to justify charging for a service that was free for so many years they gave free games. Microsoft on the other hand began their gaming history with having to pay for online.

    Gold existed before GWG so you are wrong. you do get the games for free, and on 360 you get to play them even if you stop your gold, while with ps+ you cant play them if you allow your subscription to expire.
    Iceberg Right Ahead
  • cheeky 315cheeky 315255,250 255,250 GamerScore
    Posted on 13 July 14 at 19:33, Edited on 13 July 14 at 19:36 by cheeky 315
    Everything you have stated above is irrelevant lets just leave it it's free for £30 a year

    My last comment on this subject
This thread has been locked by dropK1CK ninJA