Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

July's Games with Gold Titles Revealed

• NeverUnluckyNeverUnlucky243,796
    Posted on 13 July 14 at 22:11
    cheeky 315 said:Everything you have stated above is irrelevant lets just leave it it's free for £30 a year

My last comment on this subject
    Stubborn when wrong, close-minded and unable to punctuate.
    Beat the best, Own the rest.
  • Paul ZapPaul Zap185,270
    Posted on 14 July 14 at 01:15
    Ugh, I hate how GCI is free now. I got it back in April when it was on sale, and I spent the latter half of May, as well as the first 3/4 of June, completing it with pretty-much-required 12-player sessions. I spent hours managing 11 other people (just GETTING 11 other people to join and show up for a session in this game was half the challenge) and dealing with the server issues and glitches (such as freezing up my console or dashboarding me all of a sudden in the middle of a match), but I eventually finished it on June 22nd. 9 days later, they make it free. I basically feel like Microsoft gave me the middle finger on this.

Same story with BattleBlock Theater (though I've yet to complete that one, I bought it only a few months ago when it was on sale too).

It's almost like Microsoft purposefully puts games on sale with the knowledge that they'll be making them free a few months after that. It's a cashgrab. Following that same train of thought, last week, GOW3 was on sale for $5, and I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it became free as part of GWG in a few months.

Overall, I'm feeling like this right now towards GWG and Microsoft:facepalmangrycry
    Just another victim of the ambient mortality.
  • Posted on 14 July 14 at 20:33
    Paul Zap said:Ugh, I hate how GCI is free now. I got it back in April when it was on sale, and I spent the latter half of May, as well as the first 3/4 of June, completing it with pretty-much-required 12-player sessions. I spent hours managing 11 other people (just GETTING 11 other people to join and show up for a session in this game was half the challenge) and dealing with the server issues and glitches (such as freezing up my console or dashboarding me all of a sudden in the middle of a match), but I eventually finished it on June 22nd. 9 days later, they make it free. I basically feel like Microsoft gave me the middle finger on this.

Same story with BattleBlock Theater (though I've yet to complete that one, I bought it only a few months ago when it was on sale too).

It's almost like Microsoft purposefully puts games on sale with the knowledge that they'll be making them free a few months after that. It's a cashgrab. Following that same train of thought, last week, GOW3 was on sale for $5, and I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it became free as part of GWG in a few months.

Overall, I'm feeling like this right now towards GWG and Microsoft:facepalmangrycry
    In an organization the size of MS, I can't imagine that there is a conspiracy there. More likely than not, there is different groups negotiating the deals for the sales than who negotiate the deals for Games For Gold.

It is not necessarily a quick thing setting up these contracts between companies either as both sides have to approve an agreed upon price. If you think about it, even if MS is paying the guacamelee people 1 dollar per download for their free game of the month, you are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, so I imagine that they have to go through a couple steps, including legal, for both sides signing the contract. In the potentially months it takes to settle an agreement on the game for gold, it is entirely possible that different negotiators within each of the companies could have made a quicker deal for a sale.
  • itz waz meitz waz me288,867
    Posted on 16 July 14 at 13:49
    Got and played both of them and this month is actually not that bad, both games were fairly fun and/or enjoyable.

but still, i usually prefer retail games.
    itz waz me
  • KoRny Girl xKoRny Girl x203,417
    Posted on 17 July 14 at 09:45, Edited on 17 July 14 at 09:46 by KoRny Girl x
    Oh, free games?! LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT FREE GAMES.

Jesus, people, change your priorities.

GCI and BBT are fantastic, little games!
    Xbox 360 and Xbox One owner.
  • BillarghBillargh391,773
    Posted on 19 July 14 at 21:48
    Watched the intro to BBT, looks absolutely brilliant! I've not bothered to play it yet though, looks like a game that'd be best played in co-op.
  • Pembo 1996Pembo 19961,283,612
    Posted on 27 July 14 at 03:50
    Everyone who plays Insane co-op online on Battleblock Theatre is absolutely awful.

I actually plugged in a second controller and did it by myself, they were so bad
    Come On, Blue Falcon
    Posted on 03 September 14 at 13:44
    Chakaal Starr said:Paul Zap said:Ugh, I hate how GCI is free now. I got it back in April when it was on sale, and I spent the latter half of May, as well as the first 3/4 of June, completing it with pretty-much-required 12-player sessions. I spent hours managing 11 other people (just GETTING 11 other people to join and show up for a session in this game was half the challenge) and dealing with the server issues and glitches (such as freezing up my console or dashboarding me all of a sudden in the middle of a match), but I eventually finished it on June 22nd. 9 days later, they make it free. I basically feel like Microsoft gave me the middle finger on this.

In an organization the size of MS, I can't imagine that there is a conspiracy there. More likely than not, there is different groups negotiating the deals for the sales than who negotiate the deals for Games For Gold.

It is not necessarily a quick thing setting up these contracts between companies either as both sides have to approve an agreed upon price. If you think about it, even if MS is paying the guacamelee people 1 dollar per download for their free game of the month, you are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, so I imagine that they have to go through a couple steps, including legal, for both sides signing the contract. In the potentially months it takes to settle an agreement on the game for gold, it is entirely possible that different negotiators within each of the companies could have made a quicker deal for a sale.
    That's irrelevant. The matter still stands that they've put quite a few games on sale a few months before they became free, which is really annoying.
    Posted on 03 September 14 at 13:45
    KoRny Girl x said:Oh, free games?! LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT FREE GAMES.

Jesus, people, change your priorities.

GCI and BBT are fantastic, little games!
    I'm not complaining about free games. I'm complaining that they put games on sale a few months before they become free. It's a cheap marketing tactic.
  • Posted on 03 September 14 at 17:23
    Paul Zap said:Chakaal Starr said:Paul Zap said:Ugh, I hate how GCI is free now. I got it back in April when it was on sale, and I spent the latter half of May, as well as the first 3/4 of June, completing it with pretty-much-required 12-player sessions. I spent hours managing 11 other people (just GETTING 11 other people to join and show up for a session in this game was half the challenge) and dealing with the server issues and glitches (such as freezing up my console or dashboarding me all of a sudden in the middle of a match), but I eventually finished it on June 22nd. 9 days later, they make it free. I basically feel like Microsoft gave me the middle finger on this.

That's irrelevant. The matter still stands that they've put quite a few games on sale a few months before they became free, which is really annoying.
    It is relevant when you are saying that they are conspiring as a cash grab, vs it just being annoying.

Bottom line is don't buy a game until you know you are going start it whether it is on sale or not. If you played it and got your value before it was free, then it doesn't sting so much. If you don't want to be stung at all, don't buy any games, there is a chance any reasonably popular game will be free at some point. I just bought Child of Light and Dance Central Spotlight last night, I am fully aware that either could be a free game in the near or far future.

I will tell you right now Halo 5 will be free in games for gold at some point. It will be a while though.
    Posted on 03 September 14 at 17:31
    Chakaal Starr said:Paul Zap said:Chakaal Starr said:Paul Zap said:Ugh, I hate how GCI is free now. I got it back in April when it was on sale, and I spent the latter half of May, as well as the first 3/4 of June, completing it with pretty-much-required 12-player sessions. I spent hours managing 11 other people (just GETTING 11 other people to join and show up for a session in this game was half the challenge) and dealing with the server issues and glitches (such as freezing up my console or dashboarding me all of a sudden in the middle of a match), but I eventually finished it on June 22nd. 9 days later, they make it free. I basically feel like Microsoft gave me the middle finger on this.

It is relevant when you are saying that they are conspiring as a cash grab, vs it just being annoying.

Bottom line is don't buy a game until you know you are going start it whether it is on sale or not. If you played it and got your value before it was free, then it doesn't sting so much. If you don't want to be stung at all, don't buy any games, there is a chance any reasonably popular game will be free at some point. I just bought Child of Light and Dance Central Spotlight last night, I am fully aware that either could be a free game in the near or far future.

I will tell you right now Halo 5 will be free in games for gold at some point. It will be a while though.
    Back go my original post, I got GCI when it was on sale, and spent May and June completing it, having a hell of a time gathering up people for it. Then it became free 9 days later and everyone and their mother was playing it. That. Stung. A lot.
  • Posted on 03 September 14 at 21:48, Edited on 03 September 14 at 21:55 by Chakaal Starr
    Paul Zap said:Back go my original post, I got GCI when it was on sale, and spent May and June completing it, having a hell of a time gathering up people for it. Then it became free 9 days later and everyone and their mother was playing it. That. Stung. A lot.I bet it would have been easier to gather people up once it was free. How much was it on sale anyway? I bought Dishonoured for $60 and played a few hours. People got it free, good for them, guess I ultimately could have waited. I bought Defiance for $150 and haven't even downloaded some of the DLC that I paid for. It is free to play now, so you can play it for $150 less than I did.

The people that bought it out of the gate paid for the convenience of playing it first, you paid less than they did for the convenience of playing it before the people who got it free. That is how it goes sometimes, you always have the option of not buying any games and just play the free ones or only the titles you absolutely cannot wait for.
    Posted on 03 September 14 at 22:50
    Chakaal Starr said:Paul Zap said:Back go my original post, I got GCI when it was on sale, and spent May and June completing it, having a hell of a time gathering up people for it. Then it became free 9 days later and everyone and their mother was playing it. That. Stung. A lot.I bet it would have been easier to gather people up once it was free. How much was it on sale anyway? I bought Dishonoured for $60 and played a few hours. People got it free, good for them, guess I ultimately could have waited. I bought Defiance for $150 and haven't even downloaded some of the DLC that I paid for. It is free to play now, so you can play it for $150 less than I did.

The people that bought it out of the gate paid for the convenience of playing it first, you paid less than they did for the convenience of playing it before the people who got it free. That is how it goes sometimes, you always have the option of not buying any games and just play the free ones or only the titles you absolutely cannot wait for.
    That's entirely fallacious logic. No shit it would've been easier once it was free. It was on sale for $5 back in April when I got it. I'd seen gameplay of it last year and had been meaning to play it because it looked fun, and since it (and a dozen other games) was on sale for $5, I picked it up. I'm not going to hold myself back from buying games when they're on a really good sale out of the fear that they might be free. I'm not going to try to guess which ones might be free either. I'm simply saying it's a cheap marketing tactic that MS has done and I'm pissed that they're doing it.

FYI, it was on sale as part of Deals with Gold, on the same proportional page as the GwG free game for April, so I'm positive that it was known beforehand. This isn't a one-time case either. Same thing happened to me with Dust: An Elysian Trail. Bought it in January when it was on sale then it became free in the spring.

Point is, your justification is baseless as it fails to consider that MS offered the games on sale then gave them for free. You're acting as if gamestop was putting those games on sale, I went there and bought them, then MS makes them free. It's clear as day how cheap it is that MS did what they did.

The point is that when I see a
  • Posted on 03 September 14 at 23:43
    are you really complaining about buying a game that you enjoyed and then it becoming free later? its not like you would have enjoyed it MORE if you got it free. you either enjoy a game or not no matter what you got it for. i bought Dust and enjoyed it and im happy that it became free so a lot of other people can enjoy it as well
    Iceberg Right Ahead
    Posted on 04 September 14 at 00:52
    Iceberg082006 said:are you really complaining about buying a game that you enjoyed and then it becoming free later? its not like you would have enjoyed it MORE if you got it free. you either enjoy a game or not no matter what you got it for. i bought Dust and enjoyed it and im happy that it became free so a lot of other people can enjoy it as wellThat's fallacious logic centered around the idea of the enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a particular game. It doesn't matter if I enjoyed it or not, and I've addressed this before. This time, let me make it crystal clear so anyone can understand.

Say you go to Best Buy and they have this awesome computer on sale for $100 (regular price: $400). You buy it because of the amazing opportunity. Then, a few months later, they are literally giving that same awesome computer away for free for 2 weeks. See how that feels like you've been conned out of your money due to some marketing ploy? Exactly my point with these Deals with Gold that turn out to be Games with Gold a few months down the line.
  • Dang3R GamingDang3R Gaming1,375,058
    Posted on 04 September 14 at 06:07
    Paul Zap said:Iceberg082006 said:are you really complaining about buying a game that you enjoyed and then it becoming free later? its not like you would have enjoyed it MORE if you got it free. you either enjoy a game or not no matter what you got it for. i bought Dust and enjoyed it and im happy that it became free so a lot of other people can enjoy it as wellThat's fallacious logic centered around the idea of the enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a particular game. It doesn't matter if I enjoyed it or not, and I've addressed this before. This time, let me make it crystal clear so anyone can understand.

Say you go to Best Buy and they have this awesome computer on sale for $100 (regular price: $400). You buy it because of the amazing opportunity. Then, a few months later, they are literally giving that same awesome computer away for free for 2 weeks. See how that feels like you've been conned out of your money due to some marketing ploy? Exactly my point with these Deals with Gold that turn out to be Games with Gold a few months down the line.
    That fallacious logic centred around the idea that you feel conned. It's business man for crying out loud, they cant literally give these games away for free, they have to sort it out with the publisher/developer and probably pay them some money depending on how many people download it. So if they put it on sale before-hand they're just trying to make money.

Stop moaning about how you feel conned when like every business they still need to make money, they don't cater to your wants and needs.
    Posted on 04 September 14 at 15:30
    Dang3R Gaming said:Paul Zap said:Iceberg082006 said:are you really complaining about buying a game that you enjoyed and then it becoming free later? its not like you would have enjoyed it MORE if you got it free. you either enjoy a game or not no matter what you got it for. i bought Dust and enjoyed it and im happy that it became free so a lot of other people can enjoy it as wellThat's fallacious logic centered around the idea of the enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a particular game. It doesn't matter if I enjoyed it or not, and I've addressed this before. This time, let me make it crystal clear so anyone can understand.

That fallacious logic centred around the idea that you feel conned. It's business man for crying out loud, they cant literally give these games away for free, they have to sort it out with the publisher/developer and probably pay them some money depending on how many people download it. So if they put it on sale before-hand they're just trying to make money.

Stop moaning about how you feel conned when like every business they still need to make money, they don't cater to your wants and needs.
    False. I don't feel conned. I was simply objectively evaluating their cheap and hypocritical marketing tactic. Unless you're receiving email updates about this forum, stop complaining that I'm explaining myself so thoroughly.
  • Posted on 04 September 14 at 17:18
    Paul Zap said:Chakaal Starr said:Paul Zap said:Back go my original post, I got GCI when it was on sale, and spent May and June completing it, having a hell of a time gathering up people for it. Then it became free 9 days later and everyone and their mother was playing it. That. Stung. A lot.I bet it would have been easier to gather people up once it was free. How much was it on sale anyway? I bought Dishonoured for $60 and played a few hours. People got it free, good for them, guess I ultimately could have waited. I bought Defiance for $150 and haven't even downloaded some of the DLC that I paid for. It is free to play now, so you can play it for $150 less than I did.

That's entirely fallacious logic. No shit it would've been easier once it was free. It was on sale for $5 back in April when I got it. I'd seen gameplay of it last year and had been meaning to play it because it looked fun, and since it (and a dozen other games) was on sale for $5, I picked it up. I'm not going to hold myself back from buying games when they're on a really good sale out of the fear that they might be free. I'm not going to try to guess which ones might be free either. I'm simply saying it's a cheap marketing tactic that MS has done and I'm pissed that they're doing it.

FYI, it was on sale as part of Deals with Gold, on the same proportional page as the GwG free game for April, so I'm positive that it was known beforehand. This isn't a one-time case either. Same thing happened to me with Dust: An Elysian Trail. Bought it in January when it was on sale then it became free in the spring.

Point is, your justification is baseless as it fails to consider that MS offered the games on sale then gave them for free. You're acting as if gamestop was putting those games on sale, I went there and bought them, then MS makes them free. It's clear as day how cheap it is that MS did what they did.

The point is that when I see a
    Poor you, you could have had one more Starbucks.

I have seen EA from a hireling perspective as well as other large organizations. I can't imagine Microsofts structure being all that different, so I really don't think it is a conspiracy over it being different management groups that probably don't meet all that often because of all the steps they have to clear to get their stuff approved.

Even where I work now, there is promotions coming in from different management groups and they don't check with each other because they are already too busy without having to schedule extra meetings to make sure one promotion doesn't make another promotion look bad to a few people with tin foil hats. When it comes to any big organizations and businesses, things are always way more complicated in the background than an outsider would assume.
  • Posted on 04 September 14 at 19:31
    Enough.

Get back on topic.
    This space for rent.
    Posted on 04 September 14 at 20:17
    So only my last post was unproductive yet everyone else's moot points weren't? roll

Anyways, sorry about that. I'd love to get back on topic too.

BattleBlock Theater: It was bittersweet for me when I learned that it would be free. Bitter because I had bought it a few months beforehand while it was on sale. Sweet because I hadn't completed it yet, and I knew that thousands of people would be getting it, which meant lots of people with whom to boost it.
This thread has been locked by dropK1CK ninJA