Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Unlikeable Protagonists

• AlmightySparrowAlmightySparrow1,089,496
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 09:22
    NerdrageX said:
    Wrong-Gender Shepard is the worst main character in gaming. Whenever I see a male shepard or try to do a playthrough, I always end up rage-quitting before I'm even . His lines just hit my ear completely wrong.

I'm sure it's the same way for everyone who lifelong mained Male shepard and tries a femshep.
    I have played through all 3 games as a male and female being both Paragon and Renegade and I have to say that both have lines and missions that seem specific to one gender for example
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Or

I could list loads more but those stand out the most for me.

OT If you didn't like Michael Thorton than its your own fault. Alpha Protocol is one of my favourite games and Michael Thorton is the most diverse character I have ever seen in gaming.
    He can be a Dick, Bland, Charming, Ruthless, Nice or a ladies man depending on how you play and what dialog choices you make so yeah you made him unlikable all on your own also isn't this Top Five: Unlikeable Protagonists the games buggyness should not an issue
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 09:24
    I liked Connor until the part where he discovered
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 11:15
    Not a good list.
    No matter what you do, people will always hate. The good thing about it is that they will get over it and move on.
  • RheinadlerRheinadler271,988
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 11:20
    DragonessHera said:
    Heh.. Connor. He was like a robot, so emotionless and cold.
    Uuuuhm... yeah, he's an assassin. They're supposed to be cold-blooded. Ezio's character doesn't make sense. You can't care so much about people on the one hand and have such little respect for human life on the other. The same goes for many video game heroes. That's also why Trevor is by far the best GTA character.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 11:52
    BLOOD BERSEKER said:
    I liked Connor until the part where he discovered
  • Its Uncle KevIts Uncle Kev1,757,690
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 11:59
    Here's a suggestion for the top 5. How about top 5 unique pistols.

As in the pistol being tied or sentimental to the MC of a game. For example Agent 47's silver ballers to Duke Nukem's golden one.
    Achievementhunter.com
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,310,534
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 12:03
    Connor is one of the primary reasons why AC lost me for good. I couldn't get into AC:R, but I hoped that AC3 would bring me back. Nope.
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Live like it's heaven on earth.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 12:14
    I could not agree more with Conner being at the top stop.
    Not only for the reasons listed, but he also lacked any real character development.
    When I first played AC3 I felt let down that you didn't get to play as Conner right away, dressed in the assassin outfit.
    After finishing the game, and later playing again, I realised that playing as Haythem was the best part of the game. Especially with the twist at the end of his sequence.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 12:21
    flosta32 said:
    DragonessHera said:
    Heh.. Connor. He was like a robot, so emotionless and cold.
    Uuuuhm... yeah, he's an assassin. They're supposed to be cold-blooded. Ezio's character doesn't make sense. You can't care so much about people on the one hand and have such little respect for human life on the other. The same goes for many video game heroes. That's also why Trevor is by far the best GTA character.
    Connor's biggest problem was that he wasn't a cookie cutter protagonist in general. And while he suffered from "story dumb" in a few spots, that uniqueness is what made me like the character. They took a gamble on an unsafe character and lost.

That list is really all over the place, but eh.
  • GenericCowGenericCow578,702
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 12:42
    "I respect that some people really love their Duke. He created an antithesis to silent and thoughtful Gordon Freeman, but... let's face it, Duke basically just rips off the best parts of better characters and makes them worse."

do wat? His voice predates Gordon Freeman by two years. Hell, the unvoiced version of the character is a year older than BJ Blazkowicz. If I were BJ or Doomguy, I'd be real salty about this lack of recognition right now!
    STOP CRYING: Be strong and rise again like starfish!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant740,838
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 12:43
    Currently playing ACIII now.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 13:29
    Har Berserkr said:
    Great list! I'm going to have to disagree hugely with Cole Phelps, though.

I actually thought he was a very likable protagonist. He was extremely flawed, yes, but that didn't stop him from redeeming himself.
    He's a goddamn menace!
  • SanadaSanada680,712
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 14:11
    This list is pretty good however I think Nico Bellic should be on the list. He's one of the main reasons I couldn't get in to GTA IV. There wasn't one thing about him I liked, honestly.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 14:13
    100% agree with mercer, jason and connor, the latter is so dull and never cracks a joke
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 14:28
    Point man from the F.E.A.R and F.3.A.R. would go in that list for me he has no personality at all he's just sooo bland
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 14:31
    Pete111111 said:
    Would put war from darksiders at the top. I cant think of another protagonist I have liked less in any game.
    I don't have anything against War, but Death on the other hand was freaking annoying in my opinion.
    Blablabla, Mr. Freeman.
  • SyphonidesSyphonides538,059
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 14:55
    Thornton is not a good fit for this list. He is essentially a blank slate for the player to write on, so to say that he is unlikable is kinda stupid.
  • matdanmatdan796,052
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 15:01
    Onik Kro Jun said:
    matdan12 said:
    Great list I had to double-take at the title,

Jason Brody worst protagonist of the Far Cry franchise.

Connor an unlikeable self-centered person that did not care about anything else.

I would add:
    Franklin GTAV - A walking stereotype in motion that does his best to make himself the most unlikeable of the trio.
    At first I didn't like Jason Brody but as he slipped more and more into a slightly psychotic killing machine I rather enjoyed him.

As for Connor being self centered he did everything for his village and for his creed. Despite his desire to get close to his father and want to stop him without ending his life he did so in the end. I rather like Connor sure he was more serious but how would you be if the white man was stealing your land and killing your people? lol Despite everything that was thrown at Connor he never really changed he always wanted to believe the best in people and treated them all equally despite race,religion or sex.
    That is my problem with Jason Brody was that if:

We are meant to assume that he won't go back to his old habits or go on anti-psychotics for the rest of his life.

I guess you have a point about Connor. But there was nothing appealing or interesting about his character even Altair and Desmond had more character. Altair was a cold-blooded assassin trained to kill for his whole life and decided to go screw it and do his own thing. Desmond had a messed up family and grew up in a world he wanted no part of.
    As for Connor he is full of cliches and issues it is hard not to cringe a little at his lines. It doesn't help the game is garbage as well.

OT:
    I just realised Tommy from Prey has never been mentioned at all. So much worse then Cole Phelps who was at least a likeable character.
  • KrisWalkinKrisWalkin565,440
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 15:03
    Very much agree about Connor. Apart from what everyone already mentioned, what also annoyed me was how he acted like a know it all despite not having done a great deal. Ezio could back up his talk with decades of shaping history and extremely difficult things he achieved. Connor stabs a few guys in a poorly thought out vengeance rampage and acts like he`s the ultimate assassin.

Jason Brody I didnt really find that bad, sure he`s a bit of a dudebro but he isnt that bad a person to star with. I really started to dislike him though when he decided that he wanted to stay on the island murdering people with a bunch of lunatics. I dont get the hate that`s directed towards his friends however. I`ve seen this opinion in a few places and anyone would think from reading it that his friends are the worst type of yuppie scum ever seen. They really aren`t, I much prefer them to power tripping psychopaths, but thats just me.

The one i would add would be Trevor from GTA5. I know that so many people love him and I just don`t get it. It seems that saying funny stuff occasionally makes up for the repellant acts a character commits in some people`s eyes. From when he was introduced until the end I couldnt wait to kill him.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 15:24
    I totally forgot Thorton existed. Even with a picture I assumed he must have been the protagonist of a Mass Effect DLC or something. So, so utterly forgettable. I'm glad I only paid 79p for the game, that's for sure.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.