Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Unlikeable Protagonists

• boldfoxrdboldfoxrd397,585
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 16:06
    I really gotta play Far Cry 3 some time.
    rdenton85 that is my ps3 id
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 16:30
    couldn't agree more with the #1 spot :P although his grandpa is freaking badass in AC 4, from what i've heard/seen :)
    Boosting achieves/games on my to-do/boost-request list. Interested? Send me a PM on TA/XBL!
  • Strategy OneStrategy One676,635
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 17:29
    Although you didn't have near as much health in Bioshock 2 as the other big daddies, you definitely had more capabilities, and unlike them, you had a brain with many tricks up your sleeve.
    Whos stupid idea was it to call Xbox One Xbone? Lame.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 17:40
    It always hurts the story for me when the main character of the story; is so unlikeable. Doesn't matter if its in the form of a book, movie, TV, game and etc.)
    Death is the outcome of failure
  • QuanticJusticeQuanticJustice1,526,294
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 17:50
    RadiantViper said:
    "While you're rewarded for being liked (or disliked) by other characters as well as playing the field in conversation options, the game is so buggy that none of it really matters."

Uh ... what? That's not true at all. You can complain about the bugs, but if Alpha Protocol did one thing right, it was making sure your dialogue/gameplay choices actually mattered. There are a crazy number of special scenes and dialogues you can only get with the right requirements. Michael certainly wasn't bland either.
    +1. At some point it became en vogue to bash Alpha Protocol re-hashing the same criticisms over and over. It is one of the most underrated games of the 360 generation- I encourage everyone to form their opinions and check it out.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 18:30, Edited on 05 May 14 at 18:33 by a Fi1thy Casual
    pezza888 said:
    The dead island playable characters should be on this. They were very unlikeable, partly because they were rediculous caricatures, partly because they were just plain annoying.
    For me and my friend it livened up the game to laugh at the characters in cut scenes.
    I have only played about an hour of Dead Island, but I know exactly what you are talking about. If that game could be any more crap it would be an achievement by the devs in and of itself.

The only reason why it is even on this tag is because it was free...

OT: I rather liked Alex Mercer - of course, Dexter was one of my favorite shows (until the series finale angry) so I guess I like characters with severe sociopathic tendencies laugh
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • WarmedxMintsWarmedxMints1,071,372
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 18:45
    I would put Niko in the number 1 spot. After all, he is an illegal immigrant whom travels to liberty city to try and better his life by sponging off his rich cousin. When he discovers that his cousin lied to him, he decides to get rich through theft and murder.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gtasc-2014.htm
  • cheeky 315cheeky 315248,450 248,450 GamerScore
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 19:35, Edited on 05 May 14 at 19:59 by cheeky 315
    Jack Marston is the worst protaganist in any game I've played thankfully you don't play him for long

I also started off liking Trevor and disliking Franklin in GTA5 but by the end of the game I liked Franklin and hated Trevor

I refuse to play ACIII because I hated brotherhood and revelations. I'm done with that series now and won't play another

phelps was not at all likeable but I didn't really hate him and Jason Brodie grew on me the further I progressed

as for Nico Bellec I thought he was a brilliant character one of my favourites ever, it was so fresh playing as a gritty Eastern European rather than the stereotypical African American in a GTA game
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 19:55
    Disagree with Cole Phelps and Delta being on this list. I love em.
    Congratulations, you monster.
  • DillionDayDillionDay271,187
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 20:09
    I hated Connor so much that when I heard you would play his grandfather in ACIV I never pre-ordered it. I pick up as used copy.
  • Posted on 05 May 14 at 20:19
    Seeing two games listed, which I'm planning to start on the next Bean Dive, doesn't make me very happy.

Are Far Cry 3 and Alpha Protocol really so annoying because of the protagonists?
  • LavindatharLavindathar1,887,018
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 22:15
    It's an ok list, but I disagree with Connor and Jason.

Jason is meant to be a douche....its explained why he's out there in the first cutscene.

And there is nothing wrong with Connor, he's meant to be different from every other person around at the time, seeing as he's an indian used to being persecuted.
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,271,339
    Posted on 05 May 14 at 22:49
    The Protagonist from Fracture was so memorial that I don't know or even care about his name.
  • BadMotorBadMotor626,204
    Posted on 06 May 14 at 00:23
    Doominatorx6 said:
    Really, no Kane and Lynch?
    I thought the exact same thing. 2 extremely unlikeable people doing the worst things they can do to accomplish...well, not a hole hell of a lot really. I mean, other than becoming more unlikeable.
  • Posted on 06 May 14 at 02:03
    Agree with Alpha Protocol, don't agree with Assassin's Creed III.
    -UnInfamousGhost
  • Posted on 06 May 14 at 02:06
    WarmedxMints said:
    I would put Niko in the number 1 spot. After all, he is an illegal immigrant whom travels to liberty city to try and better his life by sponging off his rich cousin. When he discovers that his cousin lied to him, he decides to get rich through theft and murder.
    I agree! GTA games never have good charaters, one of the reasons why I don't play them.
    -UnInfamousGhost
  • WarmedxMintsWarmedxMints1,071,372
    Posted on 06 May 14 at 03:43
    UnInfamousGhost said:
    WarmedxMints said:
    I agree! GTA games never have good charaters, one of the reasons why I don't play them.
    I wouldn't say that. Tommy was good in Vice City, although that was the last good GTA game.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gtasc-2014.htm
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,550,507
    Posted on 06 May 14 at 09:11
    I only know Alex Mercer, and I have got to admit he was very unlikable, I do hate selfish characters...I have been on the fence about playing Far Cry 3, I think the fact that I would have to play as that dick may have just made the decision for me!
    Legohead 1977
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 May 14 at 12:44
    Big Killa C said:
    Niko Bellic.
    +1

I'd also say some of the more half-assed co-op characters like Sheva in Resident Evil 5 belong on this list. While they may not be the main protagonists, it always sucks being stuck with a less likable character when playing a co-op game. Especially if it was just a character that was tacked-on for co-op purposes.
    LEd
  • Rista BRista B628,980
    Posted on 06 May 14 at 16:30
    I actually thought the writers did a nice job with Cole Phelps as you play the game you come to understand his back story and then as his fall from grace makes you feel some sympathy for him. I certainly did and was hoping for him to fully redeem himself by the end of the game.

As far as Conner/AC3 goes I don't get all the passion around him. I thought he was okay, not great, certainly not deserving of all the hate he seems to generate. As someone pointed out earlier, he's more appealing than Desmond. And he does evolve through the course of the game to become more interesting and sympathetic, unlike Desmond who stays amazingly consistent considering all he goes through.

Haven't played AC4 precisely because I'm turned off by the thought of a Johnny Depp inspired Captain Sparrow clone, with the wise cracks and the hearty yo ho ho's...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.