Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Unlikeable Protagonists

• HanshiroHanshiro447,861
    Posted on 06 May 14 at 21:04
    100% agree with Far Cry 3...
  • Posted on 06 May 14 at 22:14
    Edge Maverick from Star Ocean TLH deserves a spot that is VERY high on this list.

He's so pathetic that I honestly could not tell if Square Enix was going for a satirical edge in the character development or not.
  • Posted on 07 May 14 at 02:54
    I really enjoyed playing as Conner. Maybe he should of cracked more jokes after losing his mother, finding out his father is the enemy (only after meeting him for the first time), while being stuck in the middle of the American revolution and slowly being forced off his land. The amount of anger while wielding his tomahawk added so much passion to the killing. AC 3 saved the series after Revelations.

Rant over, I agree with the rest of the list. Sorry you couldn't come up with anything creative enough for the #1 spot. Also please don't take any of this too seriously, it's all just an opinion and in good fun. Good luck on getting the next list right.
  • FoogaFooga1,973,466
    Posted on 07 May 14 at 16:52, Edited on 07 May 14 at 16:56 by Fooga
    MAH BOI 420 said:
    Fooga said:
    MAH BOI 420 said:
    >MUH MISOGYNY

I didn't even have to check who wrote this, I already knew.
    And more people should write about it, as it's a rampant problem not just in gaming, but in the world you live in. When you grow up, you'll realize how bad it is. But judging by your gamertag I doubt that'll be anytime soon.

OT: Man, I don't think I've agreed with a top 5 more. Connor and everything that was AC3 was a sack of crap.
    Nice assumption you got about me there, mate given that it's just my fucking Gamertag.

I think we have enough people writing about it at the moment, and to be honest I really don't feel like people lecturing me about characters that aren't even misogynistic. What, he likes women and boobs? How is that misogynistic (though I guess maybe the Hive level........I dunno, that was weird)? Keep in mind this is the same guy who thought Mondo Zappa was a misogynist when he clearly didn't even play the game.

I'll agree with you to an extent on one point; misogyny does exist in the real world; in the Western world it's a pay gap between genders and personally it disgusts me how little attention women's sport gets in comparison to men's, and let's not even go into various cultural practices in certain Middle Eastern and African nations, but people whining about misogyny in video games recently are just doing it essentially because a character has big boobs ala Dragon's Crown or if there's scantily clad women appearing for more than two seconds or in the case of Killer is Dead even fucking dating women and perving on them which is what, y'know, most guys do; not as if we hate women. (which seems to be more frequently against Japanese developed games than Western games even though they do it to, but let's not get into arguments about racism)

It's incredibly prudish in all honesty and there's more important things to worry about when playing a game anyway. Don't project your sexual insecurities onto a game unless you severely want to limit your scope.

There are far more informed people championing women's rights and whining about big tits and an action hero stereotype isn't going to change anything. In short, I think it's you who needs to do some growing up if these kinds of things offend you.

Judging by your complete agreement with his list I'll take it you didn't play those games to any real extent, did you? There are far worse things in AC3 than Connor and I think everyone in this thread has done a pretty good job of explaining it.
    No, it was more of your statement on poking fun because he mentioned an actual problem in the entire world, not your gamer tag.

Agreeing with me "to an extent" and then saying I need to grow up for "being offended" by the action hero stereotype is a pretty flip floppy statement. Are you against killing but think it's alright if the victim is, say, poisoned? If you're against something "to an extent", you're playing devil's advocate for sake of argument, and you end up looking like a hypocrite. An action hero can be easily likable without all of the female cast trying to do him. Liking females is fine, but like you mentioned about Nukem, the dialogue is shitty because it's disrespectful talk towards women, and you have to take into account that people WROTE that.

As for agreeing with him, all of these characters sucked. Big time. Connor is definitely among the worst. I've played all of these games except for Alpha Protocol (which I don't care to play). Judging by everyone else's comments and my own experience with AC3, I'd again say Connor is definitely among the worst, of not THE worst. He was super boring and as a protagonist it was hard to care about him.

But what do I know? I didn't play the games to any extent. I only just completed all of them. facepalm
    Shall we?
  • EnjojiEnjoji242,777
    Posted on 08 May 14 at 01:11
    Awesome list, totally felt the same about Jason from FC3. Only thing I could disagree with is Cole Phelps, I liked him a lot.
  • iMaginaryyiMaginaryy1,637,599
    Posted on 08 May 14 at 07:09, Edited on 08 May 14 at 07:10 by iMaginaryy
    Sad to hear about AC3 :/ I've heard general complaints about the game before, but I'm about to pick up AC3. Hopefully I'll find it at least slightly more enjoyable.

I agree with the sentiment that the offense taken from suggestive themes in video games is a little over the mark. There are bigger issues in everyday life than in video games or anime. Video games, anime, etc are essentially art and these themes have been a part of artistic endeavors for a very long time.

That being said, I'm no expert on the subject.
    Fear is the mindkiller.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant741,666
    Posted on 08 May 14 at 07:24
    iMaginaryy said:
    Sad to hear about AC3 :/ I've heard general complaints about the game before, but I'm about to pick up AC3. Hopefully I'll find it at least slightly more enjoyable.

I am playing it at the moment and I don't see what the issue is. It is not as bad as people make out. Some people just don't like change. Yeah, Conner is no Ezio but he is not meant to be. It is all perspective.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • MAH BOI 420MAH BOI 420386,635
    Posted on 08 May 14 at 10:53, Edited on 08 May 14 at 10:55 by MAH BOI 420
    Fooga said:
    MAH BOI 420 said:
    Fooga said:
    MAH BOI 420 said:
    >MUH MISOGYNY

I didn't even have to check who wrote this, I already knew.
    And more people should write about it, as it's a rampant problem not just in gaming, but in the world you live in. When you grow up, you'll realize how bad it is. But judging by your gamertag I doubt that'll be anytime soon.

OT: Man, I don't think I've agreed with a top 5 more. Connor and everything that was AC3 was a sack of crap.
    Nice assumption you got about me there, mate given that it's just my fucking Gamertag.

I think we have enough people writing about it at the moment, and to be honest I really don't feel like people lecturing me about characters that aren't even misogynistic. What, he likes women and boobs? How is that misogynistic (though I guess maybe the Hive level........I dunno, that was weird)? Keep in mind this is the same guy who thought Mondo Zappa was a misogynist when he clearly didn't even play the game.

I'll agree with you to an extent on one point; misogyny does exist in the real world; in the Western world it's a pay gap between genders and personally it disgusts me how little attention women's sport gets in comparison to men's, and let's not even go into various cultural practices in certain Middle Eastern and African nations, but people whining about misogyny in video games recently are just doing it essentially because a character has big boobs ala Dragon's Crown or if there's scantily clad women appearing for more than two seconds or in the case of Killer is Dead even fucking dating women and perving on them which is what, y'know, most guys do; not as if we hate women. (which seems to be more frequently against Japanese developed games than Western games even though they do it to, but let's not get into arguments about racism)

It's incredibly prudish in all honesty and there's more important things to worry about when playing a game anyway. Don't project your sexual insecurities onto a game unless you severely want to limit your scope.

There are far more informed people championing women's rights and whining about big tits and an action hero stereotype isn't going to change anything. In short, I think it's you who needs to do some growing up if these kinds of things offend you.

Judging by your complete agreement with his list I'll take it you didn't play those games to any real extent, did you? There are far worse things in AC3 than Connor and I think everyone in this thread has done a pretty good job of explaining it.
    No, it was more of your statement on poking fun because he mentioned an actual problem in the entire world, not your gamer tag.

Agreeing with me "to an extent" and then saying I need to grow up for "being offended" by the action hero stereotype is a pretty flip floppy statement. Are you against killing but think it's alright if the victim is, say, poisoned? If you're against something "to an extent", you're playing devil's advocate for sake of argument, and you end up looking like a hypocrite. An action hero can be easily likable without all of the female cast trying to do him. Liking females is fine, but like you mentioned about Nukem, the dialogue is shitty because it's disrespectful talk towards women, and you have to take into account that people WROTE that.

As for agreeing with him, all of these characters sucked. Big time. Connor is definitely among the worst. I've played all of these games except for Alpha Protocol (which I don't care to play). Judging by everyone else's comments and my own experience with AC3, I'd again say Connor is definitely among the worst, of not THE worst. He was super boring and as a protagonist it was hard to care about him.

But what do I know? I didn't play the games to any extent. I only just completed all of them. facepalm
    I thought I may have neglected research into how much you've played the games, fair enough (except for Alpha Protocol, obviously which is a bit close minded of you though admittedly I haven't played it either. I'm not the one saying the ENTIRE list is accurate, though; burden of proof is on you there.), but you can agree with someone to an extent when you agree with the mentality yet not what they think is contributing to it, and it's not particularly "flip-floppey" when you think there are much bigger issues to do with the subject in question than a character in a video game liking big boobs and women.

Let's face it, in the grand scheme of things it's a video game. A shitty video game with shitty writing, yes but just a video game, and it's not meant to be taken seriously either and it's ridiculous to get offended by it.

Also interpretation of a character is by nature subjective, so it's a bit of a stretch to call someone the worst character in a game just because they weren't what you like in a character, though most of the Connor defences have already been stated.

Also as to my gamertag it was pretty evident it was also about that, as you used it as a key point of contention to prove my supposed immaturity; a cheap shot, if you will. Why even state it in the first place? To say that and then claim that it was entirely the comment and nothing else seems I dunno, a bit "flip-floppey?" I know it was an off-handed comment clearly designed to get a reaction but you obviously meant it.
    OH NO, THE BIG BOOBIES ARE SCARING ME! MUUUUUUUUUM!!!!
  • Sketchy77Sketchy77317,914
    Posted on 15 July 14 at 13:53
    Another TA Top Five including Alpha protocol.

Micheal Thornton wasn't unlikable at all, since he is whatever the players makes him.

I'm amused by the "the game is so buggy none of it matters". You guys really like to bash Alpha Protocol in these top fives. It's a bit ridiculous. The story and the way your character interacts with others and the things he does affect others is by far the best part about the game, and no game has come close to that level of control on the story.

Too bad, because the rest of the list is decent enough.
    Achievement Unlocked ~ Read My Signature 0G
  • Angels Kill TooAngels Kill Too1,635,248
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 00:32
    DragonessHera said:
    Heh.. Connor. He was like a robot, so emotionless and cold.
    yea... almost like... an assassin -_-
    Everything will be fine in the End... If it's not fine... Then it's not the End...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.