Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

August's Games With Gold Revealed

• LuckyKantLuckyKant742,091
    Posted on 31 July 14 at 18:59
    That sounds like a lovely day. Enjoy. I am just going to try and beat this illness so I can be able to play football on Saturday morning.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • blueracer442blueracer442704,466
    Posted on 31 July 14 at 19:14
    Typh0n90 said:Is the ratio for DLC achievements worked out using the same method as non-DLC achievements or are they worked out using a different formula?

If it is indeed worked out using the same method and the TA ratio of DLC achievements are calculated as being a part of the same game there is certainly no argument that opinion hasn't affected the valued rarity of any achievements. If DLC achievements are worked out separately from the initial "core game" or are worked out using another method then the TA ratio is currently not based on rarity but instead has become affected, at one point or another, by opinion.

Holding a poll that allows people to vote on the the way they would like the TA ratio of DLC achievements to be calculated and then enforcing the result of the poll puts opinion before statistical facts. Where I can understand that people like to be able to have a say on how things are handled having such a vote allows opinion to change what should be worked out using statistics which are based on unedited, opinion free, facts.
    Currently the ratio for DLC achievements is worked differently then the ratio for regular achievements. The original system which was before I joined this site was include all gamers in the DLC ratios. The issue is then an achievement that takes two seconds in a bigger game gets a crazy ratio. It was then changed so each DLC was counted like its own game. This led to crazy undervalued achievements in difficult DLC. DLC packs like Pinball FX2 and Batman games had 1 ratios but were really difficult. After a poll a new formula was created which counted all people that had the DLC plus a percentage of the gamers that didnt which made the ratios how they are now. I personally like this system as you dont see multiple 6+ ratio achievements in DLC and you dont see 1 ratio DLC that requires you to do something harder in the main game first. Its far from perfect but much better.
    Keep it Classy TA
  • WJS OsirisWJS Osiris788,247
    Posted on 31 July 14 at 23:14
    kinda feel like im posting in the wrong spot.
    ?¿? happy 4 dishonored ?¿?
    stop the dlc madness. it never ends...
  • Posted on 01 August 14 at 00:35
    Dishonored, eh? Another game I can stop using the disc for. Yay.
  • Posted on 01 August 14 at 03:16, Edited on 01 August 14 at 03:17 by thunderkiss92
    Happy those who haven't already played Dishonored.
    Excited for Motocross Madness. IGN gave it a nice review so I'm hopeful. :)
  • Posted on 01 August 14 at 05:47
    I'm excited for Dishonored (Need to clear HDD space!) as well as the two X1 titles.

Already own Motocross Madness, but it's a good game.
    How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
  • ElyohElyoh914,431
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 06:19
    Throni360 said:TrueAchievement said:there's no opinion involvedExcept for the voting a few months back: What is the best compromise to end the endless discussion which formula to use .The original one? You mean where all achievements are viewed as core game, thus DLC had HUGE ratios??
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • pezza888pezza888143,593
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 07:41
    Kendrene said:pezza888 said:Kendrene said:pezza888 said:TrueAchievement said:For those arguing that we should include all DLC because Microsoft do:

- Microsoft include all DLC in completions for marketing reasons
    - The whole idea of the site is to do things better than the Xbox system

DLC I Own is the default setting and has been for several years now because it makes the most sense logically. To me, anyway, and I have a degree in maths, so logic is my thing smile

There were no "cry-babies" demanding it to inflate their stats. In fact, the only people that are whining about seem to be the "All DLC" fans.

Because I care about those guys too, I made it possible for everyone to choose the way they want it to work (adding masses of complexity all over the site).

So cut the whining and be happy!

toast
    The voice of reason! I am so glad we have you running the site and not any of the idiots who have posted on the thread *cough*Throni*cough*
    Also interesting to hear that you have a maths degree, I am considering doing maths at university.
    You know, just because people disagree with you it doesn't mean they are idiots. It will also make you sound more mature if you avoid offending others.
    So your good friend throni saying that "anyone who doesn't include dlc is on benefits" is not a sign of an idiot?
    A) he isn't my friend

B) I disagree with that statement. Being offensive to someone that offended you though is only gonna put you on the same level.

Pot, kettle, black and all that.
    He did not necessarily offend me, I was just saying that the fact he would say something like that suggests that his opinion is not the most valid.
  • Posted on 01 August 14 at 11:52
    Throni360 said:TrueAchievement said:there's no opinion involvedExcept for the voting a few months back: What is the best compromise to end the endless discussion which formula to use .Oh, you mean that great vote 6.000 people participated in and took their chance to screw over ratios while nearly 200.000 other site users weren't even aware a vote was going on?

Biggest farce in TA-history ever!!!
    Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see! The blind have been blessed with security!
  • OldMateClownOldMateClown883,169
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 14:51
    The poll was up on the home page if people didnt pay attention then it is nobodies fault but their own. The majority of those that voted were users that took a personal interest in that debate.
  • OnzaOnza151,250
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 15:57
    thunderkiss92 said:Happy those who haven't already played Dishonored.Or those that played it via a free rental and never finished it. smile

But on the subject of August's GwG, here it is August 1st, and I'm not seeing them.

Is it just me?
    Two wrongs don't make a right... But three lefts do.
  • Posted on 01 August 14 at 16:16
    Onza said:thunderkiss92 said:Happy those who haven't already played Dishonored.Or those that played it via a free rental and never finished it. smile

But on the subject of August's GwG, here it is August 1st, and I'm not seeing them.

Is it just me?
    For previous months it seems to not update until later in the day. Or they may have just not updated the dashboard advertisements. Check the game's Xbox Live page and see if the price is adjusted.
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • OnzaOnza151,250
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 16:21
    Thanks. I went to the store and the titles mentioned here were available gratis.
    Two wrongs don't make a right... But three lefts do.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,651
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 17:13
    Did it again. Dishonored is another game I pre-ordered before its release and becomes a Game for Gold while still in my backlog.
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 17:35
    Allgorhythm said:Did it again. Dishonored is another game I pre-ordered before its release and becomes a Game for Gold while still in my backlog.Save your money, bud. Only pre-order if you want a figurine etc. Set yourself a limit of games and buy no more. I have a shoe box converted into a shelf that holds my games. No space = no purchase.
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 17:43
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Allgorhythm said:Did it again. Dishonored is another game I pre-ordered before its release and becomes a Game for Gold while still in my backlog.Save your money, bud. Only pre-order if you want a figurine etc. Set yourself a limit of games and buy no more. I have a shoe box converted into a shelf that holds my games. No space = no purchase.My New Year's Resolution this year was to play all games I bought within a month of purchase. So far, so good. I've not only done that but knocked out a sizable chunk of my huge backlog.
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 17:50
    Yeah, that is a good idea. Games get cheaper and there is no point in having a huge backlog.
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 17:59
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Yeah, that is a good idea. Games get cheaper and there is no point in having a huge backlog.The games are also more relevant at the beginning when a larger community is playing. My biggest faux pas was keeping a pre-ordered shrink wrapped copy of Bioshock for over 5 years before I got around to playing it. It took Dragon Age: Inquisitions to be announced to get me off my as and play DA: Origins & DA II.
  • KOSTAS A M GRKOSTAS A M GR1,438,848
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 18:35
    I can't download the free game or any other game as marketplace is down 10 days now. Situation is unacceptable.
    ROB LIEFELD
  • ElyohElyoh914,431
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 20:09
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Allgorhythm said:Did it again. Dishonored is another game I pre-ordered before its release and becomes a Game for Gold while still in my backlog.Save your money, bud. Only pre-order if you want a figurine etc. Set yourself a limit of games and buy no more. I have a shoe box converted into a shelf that holds my games. No space = no purchase.I personally pace out all of my purchases. I typically always pre-order, but leave a large enough window so that I can complete one before the next one comes out. Then if I find myself with a wait I buy pre-owned or xbla to fill it.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.