Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

August's Games With Gold Revealed

• Posted on 01 August 14 at 20:56
    HolyMoses81 said:Throni360 said:TrueAchievement said:there's no opinion involvedExcept for the voting a few months back: What is the best compromise to end the endless discussion which formula to use .Oh, you mean that great vote 6.000 people participated in and took their chance to screw over ratios while nearly 200.000 other site users weren't even aware a vote was going on?

Biggest farce in TA-history ever!!!
    It would be more a case of not caring rather than not being aware.

I bet if Rich looked at the statistics, the majority of the 200,000 probably haven't logged in for ages after their initial account creation or rarely log in. There will be a small percentage that log in regularly that could have voted, but couldn't be bothered, meaning they don't care either. Those that actually would have cared enough to vote that just missed the vote was occurring would be a completely insignificant amount.
  • WyyvernWyyvern594,951
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 22:34
    Chakaal Starr said:HolyMoses81 said:Throni360 said:TrueAchievement said:there's no opinion involvedExcept for the voting a few months back: What is the best compromise to end the endless discussion which formula to use .Oh, you mean that great vote 6.000 people participated in and took their chance to screw over ratios while nearly 200.000 other site users weren't even aware a vote was going on?

Biggest farce in TA-history ever!!!
    It would be more a case of not caring rather than not being aware.

I bet if Rich looked at the statistics, the majority of the 200,000 probably haven't logged in for ages after their initial account creation or rarely log in. There will be a small percentage that log in regularly that could have voted, but couldn't be bothered, meaning they don't care either. Those that actually would have cared enough to vote that just missed the vote was occurring would be a completely insignificant amount.
    Look at the front page. According to the "currently tracking" bit on the sidebar, only 35k people have logged in during the past 30 days. Out of nearly 250k.
    [Insert clever and unique signature here]
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 01 August 14 at 22:38
    Allgorhythm said:LuckyConquerer2 said:Yeah, that is a good idea. Games get cheaper and there is no point in having a huge backlog.The games are also more relevant at the beginning when a larger community is playing. My biggest faux pas was keeping a pre-ordered shrink wrapped copy of Bioshock for over 5 years before I got around to playing it. It took Dragon Age: Inquisitions to be announced to get me off my as and play DA: Origins & DA II.I've got a huge backlog (to my standards) but there's nothing in there that I pre-ordered; those rare few games that I pre-order will be played on day one. It's Assassin's Creed and Rockstar stuff, mostly.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant742,121
    Posted on 01 August 14 at 23:28
    Billy, at least you have a good taste in games laugh
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • EurydaceEurydace602,379
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 06:21
    Beavis XBL said:Snowed said:Beavis XBL said:yeah. dishonored was okay. definitely a missable game. but it comes with 1 piece of absolutely horrendous DLC that is A) not fun and 2) terribly difficult compared to the rest of the game, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't D) not fun.I'll address you point by point:

A. Dunwall City Trials is extremely fun. It was by far my favorite part of the game. I loved every minute of it.

2. I loved it because it was a challenge. If you're the type that only cares about gamerscore as the sole metric for how impressive someone's dedication is, that's fine. You enjoy your Avatar and launch sports titles. However, some of us joined TA because we actually care about the RATIO. What does ratio stand for? Abstractly, it stands for difficulty of the achievement (among other things of course). So I think you'll find there are many here that appreciate difficult achievements in games because they are difficult.

The achievements are hard but they are far from impossible. I see you completed a good deal of them. You could probably finish in a few hours if you put the effort in without a preconception that you hate the game and will fail.

D. The whole game was great fun. Requires two playthroughs and I loved both of them. There's lots of ways to approach every situation, including some very clever ones. The achievements don't get in the way of the gameplay (at least on the high chaos playthrough), so you really get to experience it all.
    now, i will address you point by point.

A. it was fun enough sneaking around trying to steal all the money and doing the assassinations, but the difficult achievements were attached to the boring/frustrating trials (jumps and waves). i've spent many hours on certain achievements and the tough ones are usually entertaining in some way. but with those 2? 15 minutes and i just start questioning the point of achievements. i think you are in the minority, as far as fans of that DLC go. and there is nothing wrong with that. i wish i liked it as much as you do.

2. you should probably have a look at someone's games played before you toss that one around. i've never shied away from a game because it is tough. i play what i want to play and if it comes with something hard, i do it. sometimes i regret it, but most times not. as for ratio... dude if you think that makes you some sort of hero, you are fucking retarded because ratio is as meaningless as gamerscore.

D. okay.

shout out to big ell matarachi redo and all my brothers out there in the Q3NSBORO
    A. While there is a random element to Bonfires and that could be frustrating, it's still mostly about doing it perfectly. Back Alley Brawl I found to be really easy, so I can't say too much about it other than it wasn't random. As for not fun, you're welcome to the opinion.

2. I never said you weren't good at games or didn't appreciate a challenge! I merely provided you with a reason why that point isn't really well-suited to this site's original purpose. And, really, if you don't mind difficult achievements why would you complain about it? What difference does it really make that the rest of the game can be played by the dullest of players? If you appreciate the difficulty, I can't see how that matters.
  • Posted on 02 August 14 at 07:35
    Typh0n90 said:I bought Dishonoured a while back and I'm yet to play it. I'm glad it has so many positive reviews! I bought the DLC when it was on sale as I figured I would start it at some point :-).

As for the debate that is going on in regards to what constitutes a completion. I don't consider a game as being fully complete untill I have all of the achievements. DLC included. There seems to be leaderboard options that allows people to check their position based on how they like to play/compete. I see no issue with allowing people this option.

However, I dislike looking at my feed to see "person x completed the game The walking dead" only to see they completed the game again an hour later because they started and finished a piece of DLC.

A few have mentioned the undervaluing of the achievements within a DLC pack. The TA value of achievements should not be based on opinion but on the rarity of said achievements. As far as I'm aware, this is what the TA ratio is supposed to be based on. Rarity is not subject to opinion, it should be based on statistical facts.

If a DLC achievement is more rare than an achievement from the base game then it should certainly have a higher TA ratio as the fact is that it is more rare. If this is, in part, due to people not owning the DLC then so be it. This shouldn't be based on opinion, this should simply be based on facts and TA has the ability to base the TA ratio on statistical facts.

If TA is not based on statistical facts but instead is based on opinion then perhaps the site motto"Just how good are you?" should be changed to "Just how good do other people think you are?"
    All the ways of showing DLC achievement ratios have statistical problems. You may see ratio as purely showing rarity and nothing else, but I assure you that most people (including myself) use it primarily as a measure of difficulty, and treating DLC as the same as core game achievements lead to ludicrously high ratios for certain game's DLC, particularly if it was overpriced, or didn't do well in the market. Also, there is a subtle but important difference with people who buy DLC vs people who do not. People who buy DLC and start it usually complete the DLC, or at least get pretty far in it, while people who buy the base game only tend to be more likely to just drop the game entirely after a few achievements, because earning a 'core completion' is usually a lot harder than just finishing a DLC pack, just because the base game tends to have more achievements, and everyone who popped an achievement has at least the base game. Including only the DLC you own in the ratio tends to unreasonably lower the DLC ratio, because most people will just skip a DLC if they don't think they can compete its achievements, thus not showing hard DLC achievements in the ratios. The compromise geometric ratio basically splits the difference. The geometric adjustment keeps DLC ratios from being insanely high, but still gives trivially easy DLC achievements at least a 1.5 ratio, and most tend to be in the 2.0 level, even if 70 % + of the owners of the DLC have them. Its not ideal, but there is no real way to square the circle of DLC ratio without being at least somewhat inaccurate (unless you consider ratio to be solely rarity based), so splitting the difference is the only realistic option.
    Your financial solution
  • SOLMSOLM113,382
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 07:46
    Can't really complain will give Crimson Dragon a go. I'm sure it's not as bad as the review scores. I won't mind I've played some really bad games, like Ride To Hell and Turning Point LOL.
  • Posted on 02 August 14 at 08:20
    KOSTAS A M GR said:I can't download the free game or any other game as marketplace is down 10 days now. Situation is unacceptable.Sounds like its your end as everyone else is downloading and able to access XBL marketplace. Check Xbox.com for problems in your area.
  • King DragoKing Drago610,139
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 15:06
    Why is it telling me "Purchase of this content is currently not allowed for child and teen accounts." for crimson dragon? I have had no issues purchasing in the past and this is my only account lmao
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,651
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 15:19
    King Drago II said:Why is it telling me "Purchase of this content is currently not allowed for child and teen accounts." for crimson dragon? I have had no issues purchasing in the past and this is my only account lmaoI think it's because the X1 works on household or family accounts. I had an issue with Skylanders: Swap Force that you would think would be a family-oriented game.
  • TIMMY2447TIMMY2447256,130
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 20:38
    Both games for Xbox One are horrible games. Played both of them and took me a whole 10 mins until I stopped playing both of them. Games are not good at all.
  • WhitEarendurWhitEarendur249,451
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 21:47
    Completionists beware of Crimson Dragon. Achievements are quite buggy.
    Posted on 02 August 14 at 22:09
    WhitEarendur said:Completionists beware of Crimson Dragon. Achievements are quite buggy.I took a look at it at launch. 'Crimson Dragon' made it sound like it would have great visuals. Instead, the graphics were lackluster and it just didn't seem like a next gen game. I figured I had better games in my 360 backlog and passed on it. I most likely will continue to pass on it.
  • dirtysock47dirtysock47345,907
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 18:49
    After looking up the G4G done already, I have come up with a list of my picks for the rest of the year. First off, THEY SHOULD'VE DONE TRIALS EVOLUTION INSTEAD!!!! I am happy that hey balance Arcade and Retail games (Unlike Playstation), but there are too many shooters. That being siad, here is my list for the rest of the year:

SEPTEMBER:
    Dirt 3 (First half)
    BioShock or BioShock Infinite (second half)

OCTOBER:

Far Cry 3 (First half)
    Batman: Arkham City (Second Half)

NOVEMBER:

Need for Speed Rivals (First Half)
    Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (Second Half)

DECEMBER:
    Battlefield 3 (First Half)
    Dead Space 2 (Second Half

Keep up the good work Microsoft!
  • Posted on 04 August 14 at 20:01
    dirtysock47 said:After looking up the G4G done already, I have come up with a list of my picks for the rest of the year. First off, THEY SHOULD'VE DONE TRIALS EVOLUTION INSTEAD!!!! I am happy that hey balance Arcade and Retail games (Unlike Playstation), but there are too many shooters. That being siad, here is my list for the rest of the year:

SEPTEMBER:
    Dirt 3 (First half)
    BioShock or BioShock Infinite (second half)

OCTOBER:

Far Cry 3 (First half)
    Batman: Arkham City (Second Half)

NOVEMBER:

Need for Speed Rivals (First Half)
    Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (Second Half)

DECEMBER:
    Battlefield 3 (First Half)
    Dead Space 2 (Second Half

Keep up the good work Microsoft!
    The only one I own out of those is Battlefield 3, so I'd be all for those picks laugh

What I'd really love to see them do is to have 2 games each period and make 1 of them a fairly well known game, and another one a virtually unknown game. That way the unknown game will get lots of attention and people won't be complaining and be all "what in the hell is this game?" since there's also a popular game available.

It'll probably never happen, but if it ever did I'd be pretty happy.

Assuming that it does happen, my choices would be:

September:
    Prototype (first half)
    Deadly Premonition (first half)
    Skate 3 (second half)
    Adventures of Shuggy (second half)

October:
    Costume Quest (first half)
    Painkiller: Hell & Damnation (first half)
    Left 4 Dead 2 (second half)
    Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (second half)

November:
    Portal 2 (first half)
    How to Survive (first half)
    Super Meat Boy (second half)
    Nier (second half) (if they put it on Games on Demand)

December: 3 per period because Microsoft is in the holiday giving spirit wink

Crysis 3 (first half)
    State of Decay (first half)
    Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (first half)
    Darksiders II (second half)
    Shadows of the Damned (second half)
    Moon Diver (second half)
    Don't be a lemon, be a rose bud.
  • Skeptical MarioSkeptical Mario1,003,364
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 21:17
    Sadly, twice as many free games would probably amount to twice as much complaining.
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 23:27
    Skeptical Mario said:Sadly, twice as many free games would probably amount to twice as much complaining.But of course. People who paid for it would complain that they shelled out cash for something they could have got for free. People who get it for free would complain they're not getting they're money's worth. facepalm

Bottom line is the more time spent complaining the less time there is left to play the games.
  • Skeptical MarioSkeptical Mario1,003,364
    Posted on 05 August 14 at 01:52
    Allgorhythm said:Bottom line is the more time spent complaining the less time there is left to play the games. Don't be silly, I can do both at once! laugh

Seriously though, the GWG lineup has been pretty good so far.
    Posted on 05 August 14 at 02:07
    Skeptical Mario said:Allgorhythm said:Bottom line is the more time spent complaining the less time there is left to play the games. Don't be silly, I can do both at once! laugh

I guess we need a game about complaining for those who excel at both. smile
  • Sketchy77Sketchy77318,335
    Posted on 10 August 14 at 06:33
    I'm assuming and hoping that Dishonored DLC is going on sale during it's GWG period like everything else. I already own and have completed Dishonored, but I'd love to get me some discounted DLC's.

Motorcross Madness is way better than I thought it would be, Crimson Dragon is kinda meh, same with Strike Suit, but freebies are freebies.
    Achievement Unlocked ~ Read My Signature 0G
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.