Game Discussion: THIEF Forum

Secret Areas

AuthorMessage
NtYrFknKhakis
Posted on 03 March 14 at 17:53
Anyone know what these two achievements are in reference to? Is it just when you find a different path to something and get the notification for a New Map? I've gotten a bunch of those but is there any way to know how many there are?
Convicted Greed
Posted on 03 March 14 at 19:01
Yeah and when you walk into a "secret area" it plays that little song.
Bellerophon VII
Posted on 04 March 14 at 00:24
If you have a smartphone you can get a companion app for $3 it won't tell you where they are or how many they are but it will tell you how many you have already found. Could come in useful when someone figures out how many there are.
PuckJunkie
PuckJunkie
Posted on 04 March 14 at 06:29
Until somebody gets some additional information up, this is going to be a rough achievement. The secret areas are spread through client jobs, chapters, and in the city hub. You can't even rely on finding every piece of loot and assuming that will get it done - I've found at least one secret area that was completely empty!

I'm hoping somebody obsessive posts a list. Meanwhile, I've been exploring as much as possible and using my second playthrough to collect all loot in every chapter.
BrokenKnght
BrokenKnght
Posted on 04 March 14 at 12:44
Is that 72 secret areas in The City, or across all chapters too?
BrokenKnght
BrokenKnght
Posted on 04 March 14 at 15:14
I broke down and bought the app. I don't know how many i've found yet (i started my 700 point run, so i need to switch back to my original file), and once I do, i'll update this thread with the new areas I find that increase the counter in my app.
Convicted Greed
Posted on 04 March 14 at 15:32
I also noticed when you use focus in the city and you see that foggy glow that means theres a secret area nearby that glow.
MC0REBE
MC0REBE
Posted on 04 March 14 at 16:57
Would like to know some things about the companion app as well. I don't think it's available for WP though
TA Walkthrough Staff Member | PSN: MCoreBE | http://www.youtube.com/MCoreBE
BrokenKnght
BrokenKnght
Posted on 04 March 14 at 17:42, Edited on 04 March 14 at 17:45 by BrokenKnght
MC0REBE said:
Would like to know some things about the companion app as well. I don't think it's available for WP though
As far as I know, it's just available for iphone/android phones. I just upgraded my app to the full version, and for stats, it basically tells you exactly what is available in game, except it also includes NPC kills/stuns and secret areas found. It doesn't tell you the total as someone else mentioned, just how many you found. I sadly, am at 50. So far to go. There is no refresh in the app, so you have to log in and out every time to refresh your stats. It appears to be tied to your save data as well; I found the 3rd smugglers map which brought me up to 50 secret areas and didn't save and logged in/out of the app, and it remained at 49. Once I saved my game, logged in/out, secret areas showed as 50.

edit:
Starlight126 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a foggy glow o.ò

Anywho, can someone tell me how does this "companion app" work? How does it connect with your game/does it work on x360 as well?
So you log in with your square/enix account which should be tied to your gamertag, assuming you've played one of their games before. If not, you sign up, link your gamertag, and then use that login information for the app.
PuckJunkie
PuckJunkie
Posted on 04 March 14 at 17:50
The empty spot I am referring to is at the beginning of chapter 3.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

There are no arrows, poppies, health, loot, or collectibles anywhere from that point back to the main path. That bothers me, because I was hoping that getting "Collect All Loot" on every mission would be sufficient for the in-chapter secret areas. I guess not.
NzT Dash
NzT Dash
Posted on 04 March 14 at 21:25
Do we know how many/where the secret areas are in chapter 5? I really don't want to go back there. >.>
NzT Dash
NzT Dash
Posted on 04 March 14 at 22:12
Starlight126 said:
My Little Dash said:
Do we know how many/where the secret areas are in chapter 5? I really don't want to go back there. >.>
Five found with a thorough exploration. Can't swear that there aren't any more, but chances are that's the case.
I think I got those all then. What about smuggler's maps?
BrokenKnght
BrokenKnght
Posted on 04 March 14 at 22:27
House 22 in south quarter plays the sound and is not on your list. I suspect you have it, but in an effort to have a complete list, I thought I'd let you know.
NzT Dash
NzT Dash
Posted on 04 March 14 at 23:46
Starlight126 said:
Keep in mind that without unlocking the achievement we can only know what areas are there, but there's always a chance that there are more.
True. Ch 5 and 7/8 are the only two I have left to go back to, hopefully. With any luck those'll pop it.

Starlight126 said:
Nothing special about them. The only complicated one is Smuggler's Map: Eel's End, and it's "hard" because it's really just bugged. There is no doubt that the map points to House 33. The two possibilities here are that:
A. The game is bugged, and the two switches represented on it were not implemented in the game.
B. The game is mocking the shit out of us by giving us the position of a normal house, which isn't even a Secret Area, with regular and uninteresting Loot (House 33), instead of rewarding our exploration and deductions with something more juicy.

Tertium non datur.

Smuggler's Map: Blackfurrow indicates House 8.
Smuggler's Map: Muddler's Row indicates Tunnel 2.
I really do hate that Eel's End map. Spent a few hours in that area looking for the buttons. I only asked about them because I wasn't sure if they counted or not.
NzT Dash
NzT Dash
Posted on 05 March 14 at 00:30
I will.

Oh, and about that "foggy glow" around the city. They aren't secret areas, they're candles. No clue if they count towards this, if I find another I'll check, but no one knows what they do AFAIK.
xX Gambit69 Xx
Posted on 05 March 14 at 08:02
Has anyone noticed the Violin sound goes off on areas you've previously discovered... Kinda don't like that I know for a fact about several areas I explored, but when entered upon the violin sound ???....

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 05 March 14 at 10:30
I remember when the xbox one reveal presenter said they can change achievements this should defo be used for this one square Enix are idiots for making this achievement
matdan
matdan
Posted on 05 March 14 at 10:49
Well I am finding this all rather amusing.
BrokenKnght
BrokenKnght
Posted on 05 March 14 at 11:00
Starlight126 said:
Don't rely on 72 being the amount of Secret Areas -- apparently someone got 72 Secret Areas according to the app, and now he still doesn't have the (trophy) achievement.

Any luck with finding Secret Areas in Chapter 1 or Client Jobs?
I just finished replaying chapter 1 and am still at 59. I went to the arrow area on my first run, so if that was a secret area there was no violin sound. Starting chapter 2 a little later today; I'll update any places that increase my counter or play that sound.
MC0REBE
MC0REBE
Posted on 05 March 14 at 11:01
O6 FresH said:
I remember when the xbox one reveal presenter said they can change achievements this should defo be used for this one square Enix are idiots for making this achievement
Square Enix is the publisher, Eidos is the developper. So it's Eidos you mean, not SE.

I don't think they'll change achievement requirements that easily though and even if they did, the 360 version would not benefit from this. I think it's awesome they putted in an achievements as that, as you will fully explore explore the world they've tried to create.

On the other hand, I hope we'll figure out how many secret entrances there are. They could've inserted the "Secret Area's" found at the end of each chapter, it would've been easier to follow.
TA Walkthrough Staff Member | PSN: MCoreBE | http://www.youtube.com/MCoreBE
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.