Game Discussion: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC) Forum

WARNING: don't start Steam! First read this!

AuthorMessage
Quantum Binman
Posted on 06 September 14 at 11:12, Edited on 06 September 14 at 11:14 by Quantum Binman
exoticCentipede said:The investigation manager just confirmed, that I can't post on this site how to do it, but also that it's allowed as such. I guess add me as I'll tell you over that if you wanna know. It will be for a limited time though, as basically the gfwl servers for the game are still there, just not sure how long for.There are no GFWL servers - this title has always ran the online through steamworks since day one (that is why you couldn't launch an online game if steam was set to offline mode). The ranked achievements are 100% unobtainable now.
Hitomis Freund
Posted on 07 September 14 at 08:48
Clean up the Guide as best as I can. smile
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 07 September 14 at 10:09
exoticCentipede said:The investigation manager just confirmed, that I can't post on this site how to do it, but also that it's allowed as such. I guess add me as I'll tell you over that if you wanna know. It will be for a limited time though, as basically the gfwl servers for the game are still there, just not sure how long for.I call bull. It sounds stupid to be unable to post it if it is allowed.
Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
gingerCentipede
Posted on 07 September 14 at 22:28
LuckyConquerer2 said:exoticCentipede said:The investigation manager just confirmed, that I can't post on this site how to do it, but also that it's allowed as such. I guess add me as I'll tell you over that if you wanna know. It will be for a limited time though, as basically the gfwl servers for the game are still there, just not sure how long for.I call bull. It sounds stupid to be unable to post it if it is allowed.You should think about things before passing it off as lies.

Quantum Binman said:exoticCentipede said:The investigation manager just confirmed, that I can't post on this site how to do it, but also that it's allowed as such. I guess add me as I'll tell you over that if you wanna know. It will be for a limited time though, as basically the gfwl servers for the game are still there, just not sure how long for.There are no GFWL servers - this title has always ran the online through steamworks since day one (that is why you couldn't launch an online game if steam was set to offline mode). The ranked achievements are 100% unobtainable now.Well whoever the servers belong to, they still work perfectly fine.
xCosmo BOLTz
505,209
xCosmo BOLTz
Posted on 08 September 14 at 12:04
Right, so considering these discussions, I decided to shed some light on the current situation of this game.

To begin with, exoticCentipede is right in that the game servers for GFWL are still active, available and reachable. However getting to them is a problem for people who only deal with the "legitimate" version of the game.

Secondly, the servers for this game are owned by Microsoft, just like for any other GFWL game. That is 100% fact, I checked my network activity as I was looking for players online and there was no sign of any connection going to Steam servers, only Microsoft servers ( so stop spreading that undocumented claim, Quantum Binman ). I should also mention I run the game WITHOUT Steam running at all, which is something impossible to do with the "legitimate" version of the game.

Thirdly, here is a short recording of me connecting to LIVE and attempting to search for people online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbZdPY2ROA . I recorded that footage today (8th September 2014).

Now, I am willing to test out the multiplayer and actually start a match with someone who is knowledgable about this stuff (exoticCentipede maybe?). So, if you trust that your game can play on the ranked servers of GFWL, leave me a message on TA and we'll do a quick test to see if it actually works.

If the result is positive, I will share the method with anyone willing to know (because I am not ashamed or hesitant to talk about stuff like piracy or protection circumventions like others). If that's what it takes to still be able to complete the online of this game, then so be it.

I will update this post with the result if I can get anybody to test it out with me.
Quantum Binman
Posted on 08 September 14 at 14:55, Edited on 08 September 14 at 14:56 by Quantum Binman
xCosmo BOLTz said:.

Secondly, the servers for this game are owned by Microsoft, just like for any other GFWL game. That is 100% fact, I checked my network activity as I was looking for players online and there was no sign of any connection going to Steam servers, only Microsoft servers ( so stop spreading that undocumented claim, Quantum Binman ). I should also mention I run the game WITHOUT Steam running at all, which is something impossible to do with the "legitimate" version of the game.
So how come the game wouldn't be able to launch ranked matches if steam was in offline mode? Always used to say something along the lines of "failed to connect to authentication server"
xCosmo BOLTz
505,209
xCosmo BOLTz
Posted on 08 September 14 at 16:06
Quantum Binman said:xCosmo BOLTz said:.

Secondly, the servers for this game are owned by Microsoft, just like for any other GFWL game. That is 100% fact, I checked my network activity as I was looking for players online and there was no sign of any connection going to Steam servers, only Microsoft servers ( so stop spreading that undocumented claim, Quantum Binman ). I should also mention I run the game WITHOUT Steam running at all, which is something impossible to do with the "legitimate" version of the game.
So how come the game wouldn't be able to launch ranked matches if steam was in offline mode? Always used to say something along the lines of "failed to connect to authentication server"
It uses Steam as a protection layer only, but the GFWL version's servers are actually owned by MS; I told you, I checked my network activity from the moment I started the game until actively searching for players and I only saw IP addresses pointing to MS servers.

To give you further details, I need to know if you still have the GFWL version files for the game and also... mention exactly the point when it gives you the error... when you click on last stand or find match, when searching for players, right before the match is about to start, right after the match has started, etc...
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 08 September 14 at 20:15
exoticCentipede said:LuckyConquerer2 said:exoticCentipede said:The investigation manager just confirmed, that I can't post on this site how to do it, but also that it's allowed as such. I guess add me as I'll tell you over that if you wanna know. It will be for a limited time though, as basically the gfwl servers for the game are still there, just not sure how long for.I call bull. It sounds stupid to be unable to post it if it is allowed.You should think about things before passing it off as lies.I did think about it. If it can be done fairly and legitimately without breaking the rules, you would not be allowed to post it here. Why would the IM say it is allowed but you cannot post? If you cannot post, something is dodgy which should mean it is not allowed. Would you care to bring the IM to back up your claim? I may be wrong, hey I make mistakes, we all do but this does not seem right to be honest.
Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
Quantum Binman
Posted on 09 September 14 at 00:26
xCosmo BOLTz said:Quantum Binman said:xCosmo BOLTz said:.

Secondly, the servers for this game are owned by Microsoft, just like for any other GFWL game. That is 100% fact, I checked my network activity as I was looking for players online and there was no sign of any connection going to Steam servers, only Microsoft servers ( so stop spreading that undocumented claim, Quantum Binman ). I should also mention I run the game WITHOUT Steam running at all, which is something impossible to do with the "legitimate" version of the game.
So how come the game wouldn't be able to launch ranked matches if steam was in offline mode? Always used to say something along the lines of "failed to connect to authentication server"
It uses Steam as a protection layer only, but the GFWL version's servers are actually owned by MS; I told you, I checked my network activity from the moment I started the game until actively searching for players and I only saw IP addresses pointing to MS servers.

To give you further details, I need to know if you still have the GFWL version files for the game and also... mention exactly the point when it gives you the error... when you click on last stand or find match, when searching for players, right before the match is about to start, right after the match has started, etc...
I don't have it anymore - I deleted the game upon completion so re downloading it will give me the updated version (I have the retail disk if that helps? It runs through steam though...)

I'll accept your correction on the servers but it makes no sense - the error about authentication would *only* show when trying to play online (as soon as you try to search for a game of LS/MP)
xCosmo BOLTz
505,209
xCosmo BOLTz
Posted on 09 September 14 at 01:08, Edited on 09 September 14 at 01:10 by xCosmo BOLTz
Quantum Binman said:xCosmo BOLTz said:Quantum Binman said:xCosmo BOLTz said:.

Secondly, the servers for this game are owned by Microsoft, just like for any other GFWL game. That is 100% fact, I checked my network activity as I was looking for players online and there was no sign of any connection going to Steam servers, only Microsoft servers ( so stop spreading that undocumented claim, Quantum Binman ). I should also mention I run the game WITHOUT Steam running at all, which is something impossible to do with the "legitimate" version of the game.
So how come the game wouldn't be able to launch ranked matches if steam was in offline mode? Always used to say something along the lines of "failed to connect to authentication server"
It uses Steam as a protection layer only, but the GFWL version's servers are actually owned by MS; I told you, I checked my network activity from the moment I started the game until actively searching for players and I only saw IP addresses pointing to MS servers.

To give you further details, I need to know if you still have the GFWL version files for the game and also... mention exactly the point when it gives you the error... when you click on last stand or find match, when searching for players, right before the match is about to start, right after the match has started, etc...
I don't have it anymore - I deleted the game upon completion so re downloading it will give me the updated version (I have the retail disk if that helps? It runs through steam though...)

I'll accept your correction on the servers but it makes no sense - the error about authentication would *only* show when trying to play online (as soon as you try to search for a game of LS/MP)
Oh yes, it makes sense when you are using a legitimate copy of the game. The game knows that it is supposed to connect at the moment to some Steam servers, but instead, because of the game's files (if you keep the GFWL version), it wants to connect to GFWL servers and there's the mismatch. For the not so legitimate version of the game I believe it is still possible to play on the regular servers. I have yet to absolutely confirm that and get a tutorial ready. Most likely tomorrow or later this week I will have it tested with somebody.
xCosmo BOLTz
505,209
xCosmo BOLTz
Posted on 09 September 14 at 21:25
I am sorry to say that after a few hours of testing it, I have not reached a positive outcome. The game would get to the point of connecting us, but then suddenly stop doing it and start searching again for matches and it goes in this neverending loop.

I believe that the GFWL servers have been modifed very recently and thus do not allow people to connect to each other. All my research indicated that it should work, but it just didn't. Therefore, I believe that whatever the problem might be, it is out of my reach to fix it.

In conclusion, from my point of view, I consider the Ranked matches and Last Stand achievements clearly unobtainable at this moment.

I want to give a big shoutout to exoticCentipede who helped me test this out for 4 hours. Regardless, you should message him if you want to give it a shot and he will give you further derails, though bare in mind that the success rate for this is minimal.
Quantum Binman
Posted on 10 September 14 at 00:05
xCosmo BOLTz said:I am sorry to say that after a few hours of testing it, I have not reached a positive outcome. The game would get to the point of connecting us, but then suddenly stop doing it and start searching again for matches and it goes in this neverending loop.

I believe that the GFWL servers have been modifed very recently and thus do not allow people to connect to each other. All my research indicated that it should work, but it just didn't. Therefore, I believe that whatever the problem might be, it is out of my reach to fix it.

In conclusion, from my point of view, I consider the Ranked matches and Last Stand achievements clearly unobtainable at this moment.

I want to give a big shoutout to exoticCentipede who helped me test this out for 4 hours. Regardless, you should message him if you want to give it a shot and he will give you further derails, though bare in mind that the success rate for this is minimal.
Thanks for trying it out - it's unfortunate that you weren't able to find any success with it.

It's entirely possible that the GFWL servers only accepted connections that had passed through the authentication servers? Steam was added as full drm and not just as a distribution client. That the retail disks couldn't play without steam (and required an internet connection during install) suggests that it is too ingrained in the title.
Koicommander
428,907
Koicommander
Posted on 02 October 14 at 12:15
Is there any way I could delete the update from my pc and then play co-op campaign with someone?
Hitomis Freund
Posted on 02 October 14 at 12:30
Koicommander said:Is there any way I could delete the update from my pc and then play co-op campaign with someone?since the Update change/replace some of the Flies ... there is no way to simply delete the Update. Your only chance is to find someone with the game in v2.6.0.5628 and in your preferred language and ask him to send you the Files I mention in the first post (not the whole Game)...
King Drago
454,291
King Drago
Posted on 25 October 14 at 18:15
My version is still unpatched and my coop partner hasnt been on so if anyone can help me run through the main campaign it's my last achievement and I will repay the favor. Thanks!
BRITISHLEMON
156,223
BRITISHLEMON
Posted on 26 April 15 at 15:28
Can someone upload a file for the version of Dawn of War 2 which allows to gain achievements, I want to finish as many achievements as I can but I cannot find a download for a version of the game before the update which removed GFWL.
Cobalt Robot
171,961
Cobalt Robot
Posted on 11 September 15 at 04:09
I'd like to add that I managed to stop the Steam download in time to keep my game on GFWL, so I'm looking to knock out as many multiplayer achievements as possible as soon as possible.

Anyone who wants to do them, add me on XBL. :)
Roose91
577,275
Roose91
Posted on 23 September 15 at 11:27
What happens at this point if you delete all associated files and completely reinstall the game? Does it need to authenticate via Steam or can you play a physical copy without updating?

That said I think the majority of ones I still need are MP which looks to be more problematic.
PhoenixAndy
96,420
PhoenixAndy
Posted on 18 May 16 at 13:49, Edited on 18 May 16 at 13:50 by PhoenixAndy
Does anyone know if the method for getting into co-op campaign matches in the first post still works? If so, I've got a couple of Chaos Rising achievements to get if anyone can help me out.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.