Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: "Gimme" Achievements

• ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,282,085
  • Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:12
    I have a couple of these achievements. I also have some of these games in my backlog, but it was a nice enjoyable list.
  • HobobicusHobobicus610,278
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:12
    Cant help but think soul calibur 4 had one for watching the opening sequence which automatically loads..... that has to be the easiest.
  • SpilnerSpilner877,608
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:15, Edited on 11 May 14 at 13:15 by Spilner
    Knew simpsons would be first without reading laugh

Hobobicus said:
    Cant help but think soul calibur 4 had one for watching the opening sequence which automatically loads..... that has to be the easiest.
    Actually had to watch though, skip and miss it (Like i did first time)
    I find bugs, its my thing! I don't break things on purpose it just happens :D
  • MeszerusMeszerus404,358
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:15, Edited on 11 May 14 at 13:16 by Meszerus
    Figured this one would be on the list, but I guess it's not too dissimilar from #1.
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special EditionSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition worth 5 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

(i.e., start new game... press Back button... pop!)

Not got round to playing Deadpool yet, but I like the humour of #2.
  • Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:17
    I like these cheevos :)
  • hunterIVhunterIV387,692
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:19
    My favorite gimme achievement is from Chime:

ChimeFairy GodmotherThe Fairy Godmother achievement in Chime worth 50 pointsYou've done a great thing and made the world a better place. Here's a little gift!

Not only is it a fantastic game, but the achievement makes you feel good about your purchase!
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
  • Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:20
    Great list. I was just searching my own achievements for "Gimmes" and stumbled across this guy:

Scene It? Lights, Camera, ActionInternosubluejacketThe Intern achievement in Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action worth 15 pointsAnswer a question correctly

Like all interns, this achievement is quickly forgotten.
    TrueAchievements Editorial Manager | Twitter: @osubluejacket | "In Soviet Russia, game plays you!"
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,154,090
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:30, Edited on 11 May 14 at 13:42 by AndyLSimmons
    Zoo TycoonEveryone's got to Start SomewhereThe Everyone's got to Start Somewhere achievement in Zoo Tycoon worth 10 pointsStart your first zoo.

For a recent one. Because really?

Of course, I think some game developers use these easy achievements to immediately put a game on someone's card, so if you ever have a buddy checking out your card or the like, they will see that game there. You know, free advertising. Or something like that. It's not a well thought-out theory.
    Gamers have only two hobbies: playing games, and complaining about those games.
  • NeverUnluckyNeverUnlucky242,211
  • TheDude722TheDude722625,398
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:45
    Actually you don't need an achievement to get a game on your card. Only TA requires an achievement. My card shows plenty of 0G games. Started but not progressed enough.

And yeah. Avatar:TLA isn't a gimme because you have to know what to do. Wonder how many people played the game to completion. Not this guy.
  • gatordeve86gatordeve86286,527
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 13:47
    I just started playing Deadpool last night lol
    -The Deve
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 May 14 at 14:06
    Good list, I would've been very disappointed if that simpsons one wasn't number one, lol.

I came across this one quite recently:
    DeadlightSpreading the diseaseThe Spreading the disease achievement in Deadlight worth 17 pointsGet infected by a friend on the leaderboards

And there are these I can think of:
    Dark SoulsEnkindleThe Enkindle achievement in Dark Souls worth 15 pointsLight bonfire flame.

Peter Jackson's King KongPyromaniacThe Pyromaniac achievement in Peter Jackson's King Kong worth 100 pointsJack used fire to scare off enemies and get out of harm's way

Forza Motorsport 3Bottomed OutThe Bottomed Out achievement in Forza Motorsport 3 worth 5 pointsJump five feet.

Birds of SteelSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Birds of Steel worth 20 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

Fable IIIHand in HandThe Hand in Hand achievement in Fable III worth 5 pointsHold hands with someone.

There are many many others but those took no more effort than pressing one button, or they were performed hundreds of times anyway during normal gameplay, hail to imagination!
    Let me find peace in my own heart and save me from my enemies.
  • Posted on 11 May 14 at 14:10
    I have a couple of these achievements lol. they are fun to get
  • Sonic GrungeSonic Grunge471,199
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 14:24
    The whole of Collapse! (WP) should be a gimme...
    GTASC 2012 top 3 team: Freak Nation
  • TressilationTressilation1,061,997
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 14:30
    Awesome list! Definitely was all about Deadpool and The Simpsons as #1 & #2 coming into the list. There's a couple of loitering achievements, but a good choice for the list.

Gotta say though, in terms of achievements, that I definitely love the ones in which the creators have fun with making them. Deadpool is a great example, as are many others!
  • MomijiMomiji938,899
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 14:38
    Cave games are my personal favourite for this.

Akai KatanaOpening SalvoThe Opening Salvo achievement in Akai Katana worth 5 pointsStart up Akai Katana!

Deathsmiles (EU)Opening SalvoThe Opening Salvo achievement in Deathsmiles (EU) worth 5 pointsPlay any mode once.Xbox 360 / Arcade

DoDonPachi Resurrection (EU)Engage HostilesThe Engage Hostiles achievement in DoDonPachi Resurrection (EU) worth 5 pointsStart up the game.

Lures you in with the easy stuff then you realise youre fucked because they're amongst the hardest games to actual complete laugh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ReazieTV
  • Posted on 11 May 14 at 14:53
    great article and very helpful for keeping your streaks alive!

smile
  • Posted on 11 May 14 at 15:08
    Hooray for Stranglehold! Also, like someone mentioned above, Soulcalibur IV has an achievement for watching the opening cinematic, too. I'm surprised Monkey Island and Halo:CEA didn't make the list for their "switch to classic view" achievements.
    There is no "I" in "team." There also isn't a "u," a "we," an "us," or a "them," so who's playing?
  • l TN95 ll TN95 l144,310
    Posted on 11 May 14 at 15:09
    ghosts has get a kill same a mw3 loading up the first level injustice also has one for going on the customize menu
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.