The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: Black Friday Extra Discounts

• Posted on 28 November 14 at 18:48
    Eh.
    Heroes never die.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead709,748
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 19:03, Edited on 28 November 14 at 19:15 by HolyHalfDead
    It is human nature to look at how worse off we are than others, but have the people in the UK thought about how much better off they are than Europe and New Zealand, who pay more than the UK for games.

Americans get paid less and so the goods and services those people provide in turn cost less. Go to the UK government and tell them you are prepared to take a 50% pay cut if they will reduce the price of goods and services by 50% if you want prices in the UK to match prices in the US. I have oversimplified that somewhat, but I don't want to write pages on world economy. As others have mentioned, your other option if you want to pay US prices for everything is to move to the US. Enjoy your reduction to two weeks annual leave and increased health care costs.

It's not Microsoft that sets the prices or the sale prices. It's a bit like blaming a car dealer for why the Ferrari costs more than the Ford. If you want cheaper Ferraris, go complain to Ferrari. Sure the car dealer will be getting their cut, but the best they can do is reduce the Ferrari within their margins. Rockstar are consistently and significantly reducing the prices of their games and yet some still complain that Microsoft should put something else on sale, like Microsoft have some sort of power over EA or Activisions pricing.

Things were no different with MSP. What was 3600MSP in the US was still 4800MSP in the UK, it was XBLA and Add-ons that were the same MSP worldwide.

To me this is a good sale, with a very large number of titles at significant PERCENTAGE discounts. The "best" (comparable international pricing) deals are on the new release games such as Titanfall Deluxe Edition (Release date: 28/11/2014), since they haven't had chance for a pre-sale US only price drop yet.

The price of Titanfall DE was set as a saving on buying the full price Season Pass along with the already price dropped game seperately in the US. However since they haven't dropped the price of Titanfall in many countries yet, even with the usual 50%+ international price hike, the Titanfall DE price is cheaper than the yet to be price dropped Titanfall price.

In New Zealand Titanfall is $109.95, and the Deluxe Edition is only $69.95. Given that you can get a 75% discount on that if you become an XBL Gold member, it makes paying for a month of XBL Gold worth it for this one sale item alone, not to mention the free GwG you will also get.
  • Strategy OneStrategy One702,830
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 19:34
    Terarria is a good deal I wish they had the Deal for the Xbox One version, even though I already have the 360 version I would definately play the One version if it was a good deal. Great game. other then that a lot of these deals aren't good at all. I got used Wolfenstein for about 20$ with at 20% discount applied, even without the discount a used Wolfenstein was better then spending 30 for a digital version.
  • trollsboxtrollsbox249,046 249,046 GamerScore
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 19:48
    Typh0n90 said:Amazon are selling Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for £19.99. Another option for those who are interested. They are also selling Call Of Duty: Ghosts Hardened Edition for £9.99 which, in my opinion, is a steal! :)I saw yesterday that Call Of Duty Ghost Hardened Edition was £10 and i wish i had waited until now to get it as i would have save myself a tenner.
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,403,928
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 20:15
    HolyHa1fDead said:It is human nature to look at how worse off we are than others, but have the people in the UK thought about how much better off they are than Europe and New Zealand, who pay more than the UK for games.

Americans get paid less and so the goods and services those people provide in turn cost less. Go to the UK government and tell them you are prepared to take a 50% pay cut if they will reduce the price of goods and services by 50% if you want prices in the UK to match prices in the US. I have oversimplified that somewhat, but I don't want to write pages on world economy. As others have mentioned, your other option if you want to pay US prices for everything is to move to the US. Enjoy your reduction to two weeks annual leave and increased health care costs.

It's not Microsoft that sets the prices or the sale prices. It's a bit like blaming a car dealer for why the Ferrari costs more than the Ford. If you want cheaper Ferraris, go complain to Ferrari. Sure the car dealer will be getting their cut, but the best they can do is reduce the Ferrari within their margins. Rockstar are consistently and significantly reducing the prices of their games and yet some still complain that Microsoft should put something else on sale, like Microsoft have some sort of power over EA or Activisions pricing.

Things were no different with MSP. What was 3600MSP in the US was still 4800MSP in the UK, it was XBLA and Add-ons that were the same MSP worldwide.

To me this is a good sale, with a very large number of titles at significant PERCENTAGE discounts. The "best" (comparable international pricing) deals are on the new release games such as Titanfall Deluxe Edition (Release date: 28/11/2014), since they haven't had chance for a pre-sale US only price drop yet.

The price of Titanfall DE was set as a saving on buying the full price Season Pass along with the already price dropped game seperately in the US. However since they haven't dropped the price of Titanfall in many countries yet, even with the usual 50%+ international price hike, the Titanfall DE price is cheaper than the yet to be price dropped Titanfall price.

In New Zealand Titanfall is $109.95, and the Deluxe Edition is only $69.95. Given that you can get a 75% discount on that if you become an XBL Gold member, it makes paying for a month of XBL Gold worth it for this one sale item alone, not to mention the free GwG you will also get.
    not that it makes up for the total differences...but also remember that the American prices are without salestaxes, as they are different from state to state, so they get added after the purchase...whereas the prices in the rest of the World already includes salestaxes
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 November 14 at 20:22
    I'm happy with the sale, even though I'm from Europe. Got TWD, Mordor and Titanfall at great prices. And Diablo before that. Other deals not good enough, I'll just wait for better ones that are bound to come.
  • bl4ck bloocbl4ck blooc490,717
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 20:51
    We need a popcorn emoticon. I need something while I watch all these people talk about how great 'Murica is.
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,328,664
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 21:17
    For Canadians there are far better deals on futureshop.ca or ebgames.ca
  • Posted on 28 November 14 at 21:30
    Anybody that skipped San Andreas when it came out should pick it up. For $3.75 it's a steal to be transported back to 2004 when protagonists still had a place in the world they participate in and aren't simply standing there in silence when shit goes down.

Payday 2 is a blast as well, but I heard they finally released their 5 GB patch thing. I don't know if it's a title update or a Marketplace download (or if it's required), but the update makes a small array of the toughest achievements completely impossible. Avoid the update if you can.

Destiny is still a pile of crap. If you're even mildly interested in the game and have not purchased it yet, wait until the Deluxe Edition/GOTY/whatever in a few years that bundles all the DLC with the disc. By then, there will actually be something to do for more than 6 hours after you pop in the game.
    Supporter of unpopular opinions.
  • Posted on 28 November 14 at 22:20
    If you don't like the sales just ignore it. Wait till the next sale. Bunch of whiny babies.
  • Mike the OwlMike the Owl498,760
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 22:29
    TSG Dwaggie said:NawtyCawty said:TSG Dwaggie said:...

Don't buy in, people.
    It's always like that. Everything is cheaper in the US. Get over it.
    And YOU saying stuff like that IS WHAT MAKES THEM THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. You're as much of the problem as microsoft.
    mate if you haven't worked it out by now, americans don't know about the world out there. as far as americans are concerned there is only one country on the planet and that is America. they do not know of the world outside of America.
  • MakkeMakke535,411
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 22:39
    Pretty disappointing deals to me. I was hoping for more arcade games.
  • MaesenkoMaesenko326,032
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 22:52
    Thanks for the offers, but I'm waiting until Cyber Monday (and I still am debating a couple options on the weekly sale). Just as well, I just bought over $200 USD in Blu-rays from WalMart at $5-8 apiece, save for a couple $10 TV seasons. My wallet can use a few days of rest.
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."
  • EvandalistEvandalist447,511
    Posted on 28 November 14 at 23:49
    Not much here worth what they're being sold for.

Anybody know if they're doing a cyber Monday promotion like last year?
    You fail me.
  • AnavrynAnavryn689,408
    Posted on 29 November 14 at 00:17
    Hmm, not much that interests me price wise. Was really looking forward to a few XBLA sales. Hopefully Monday will redeem them.
  • USMC 90 95USMC 90 95653,846
    Posted on 29 November 14 at 00:50
    feared aussie said:TSG Dwaggie said:NawtyCawty said:TSG Dwaggie said:...

Don't buy in, people.
    It's always like that. Everything is cheaper in the US. Get over it.
    And YOU saying stuff like that IS WHAT MAKES THEM THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. You're as much of the problem as microsoft.
    mate if you haven't worked it out by now, americans don't know about the world out there. as far as americans are concerned there is only one country on the planet and that is America. they do not know of the world outside of America.
    cry cry cry Your tears sure are salty for a jealous butt hurt little man.
    I HATE BOOSTERS.
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk1,181,928
    Posted on 29 November 14 at 02:18
    Lets hope people ignored the official site "review" of Terraria. Its an absolute steal at £2.99.

Kinda sad the X1 version didn't get a cut but I guess its because its still a fairly new release.
    Posted from TrueAchievements Mobile
  • Jack KanophJack Kanoph261,939
    Posted on 29 November 14 at 02:33
    Not to pick on any UK or other gamers around the world, but I would think the pricing differences between the US Xbox Game Store and other ones, is probably because of tax codes in different countries.
    And I don't buy any of my digital games with a credit card, I always go to the store, get a gift card, thus avoiding any taxes.
  • Posted on 29 November 14 at 02:34
    GuiT4rPlYnPrik said:Unfcnbleevibl said:$40 for a digital copy of Borderlands Prequel Sequel? You can get a physical copy for cheaper, Amazon has it for $35 and Best Buy has it for $30. Destiny is $5 cheaper at Amazon as well.

Not all that thrilled with any of these deals. And by the time I get around to playing any of them, the games will be $20. I can wait till I get through more of backlog before wasting money.
    just got pre the sequel at walmart a few hours ago for 25 bucks at walmart
    Amazon dropped it another $5.00, I picked it up for $30 from their as well as Assassin's Creed Rogue during the Lightning Deal for $25.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 November 14 at 02:54
    HolyHa1fDead said:Americans get paid less and so the goods and services those people provide in turn cost less. Go to the UK government and tell them you are prepared to take a 50% pay cut if they will reduce the price of goods and services by 50% if you want prices in the UK to match prices in the US. I have oversimplified that somewhat, but I don't want to write pages on world economy. As others have mentioned, your other option if you want to pay US prices for everything is to move to the US. Enjoy your reduction to two weeks annual leave and increased health care costs.
    I don't think your point is valid, because the GDP/Capita is higher for the US, than for most european countries.
    US wages are in fact higher:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wa...
    And I guess this is why people complain. No one is upset that games for example cost less in India or Russia, because the average wages are lower there.

HolyHa1fDead said:It's not Microsoft that sets the prices or the sale prices. It's a bit like blaming a car dealer for why the Ferrari costs more than the Ford. If you want cheaper Ferraris, go complain to Ferrari. Sure the car dealer will be getting their cut, but the best they can do is reduce the Ferrari within their margins. Rockstar are consistently and significantly reducing the prices of their games and yet some still complain that Microsoft should put something else on sale, like Microsoft have some sort of power over EA or Activisions pricing.
    Microsoft has at least some control over it as this article states:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112912-Team-Meat-W...
    The article states:" He (Team Meat dev. McMillen) claimed the studio asks every month if the game can be included in a sale or get some kind of promotional push, but the answer is always no."
    So we can't be sure if this is because MS controls all devs and publishers like this, or if it is because Super Meat Boy was a MS published title.
    We don't know who has a say in it to what degree, so I think its totally valid to direct ones complaints towards Microsoft until they give us an official press release stating who is in control of sale prices and duration to what degree, so we can properly adjust our complaints. Also MS could at least put some more of their own titles (a large chunk of the XBLA libary are MS published games) and DLCs on sale more often.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.