The Debating Chamber Forum

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

The "Can I Change My Region to Download That" Thread

AuthorMessage
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 28 November 14 at 16:58
Ok, so we see this topic come up a lot in threads around TA and other sites, I'm sure. Rather than keep turning all of those other threads into a debate over whether or not this is ok or if it is against Microsoft's policies and can get you into trouble with them, I thought that I would attempt to create a dedicated thread to this discussion (and "The Debating Chamber forum is the perfect place!).

Please, if this discussion comes up in other threads, let's just link people here so that we can keep those other threads on topic.

___---___---___

Here is how I see this issue:

From the Xbox Live Code of Conduct (emphasis mine):
H. Fraud & Commerce
•Accounts and Gamertags are non-transferable. Do not purchase accounts or Gamertags from third parties.
•Do not access or attempt to access accounts that you do not own.
•Do not purchase Xbox Live Gold memberships, games, Microsoft Points, or any additional content from unauthorized third parties.
Do not attempt to use or share fraudulent methods to obtain content or Microsoft Points.
•Do not use your account to trade services or in-game content for currency or Microsoft Points.
•Do not use Xbox Live for any commercial purpose:?You may only create an account for yourself as an individual.
?You may not create or use an account for your corporation or any other business entity.
?You may not advertise any product or service in your profile or by any other means on Xbox Live.

•Do not resell or redistribute any part of the Live Service or access to the Live Service.
From OxfordDictionaries.com (again emphasis mine):
fraud
[ frôd ]
noun: fraud · plural noun: frauds

1.wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain:
"he was convicted of fraud"
synonyms: swindle · racket · deception · trick · cheat · hoax · scam · con ·

2.a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities:
"mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds"
synonyms: impostor · fake · sham · charlatan · quack · mountebank
By changing your account region to one that you do not actually live in so that you can obtain digital content not available in your actual region, or to gain access to a sale price not available in your region, you are deceiving Microsoft for personal gain. By definition, you are committing fraud, and thus in violation of section H of the Code of Conduct.

Links:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/CodeOfConduct
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_eng...
Xbox Community Level 15 | XCA: Rank 12 | ßeta: Rank 0 | EU: Rank 12 | Forums: Rank 3 | @HyruleBalverine
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 29 November 14 at 01:18, Edited on 29 November 14 at 01:20 by LV 1 Blue Slime
All that really matters is whether Microsoft bans people for it, and they don't to my knowledge. I can only assume they expected as much when they allowed you to do it in the first place.

I don't see a problem with it as long as you are paying for it.
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 29 November 14 at 01:55
Except that people have been banned for it (or so they have reported). There have been numerous people that have reported changing their region or creating false accounts solely for the purpose of gaining a game at a discount or for free because they price is different (or the game is only available) in another region.
http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?threadid=5038896
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 29 November 14 at 02:28, Edited on 29 November 14 at 02:30 by LV 1 Blue Slime
If they banned for it the top 100 GS on the site would look a lot different because a lot of them would be banned. Stallion has Dead Island and a few other stackables that require DLC. Smrnov and celtic have every version of Magna Carta 2 done, which requires no less than 3 separate accounts for buying DLC. I could go on.

I myself have a JP account and a UK account to get DLC for stackables, still waiting on that ban. People who say they got banned for it obviously did other stuff.
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 29 November 14 at 03:03
I've posted a thread in the Xbox Ambassador forums asking for somebody from official support to give me an official answer to this.
DarthGoose13
DarthGoose13
Posted on 29 November 14 at 09:14
As long as you pay for the stuff or download it legitimately I can't see there being a problem.
What the brown?
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 29 November 14 at 17:17
And that is the debate that I'm both hoping to resolve and keep out of other forums.

I'm curious as to the issue of getting access to games or DLC no longer available as well. Technically, you'd need access to another profile (or somebody local who's profile has the content). For instance, the DLC for Pinball FX is no longer available, so even if you wanted to buy it, the content is no longer available for purchase. Would getting and using this content be a violation, too?
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 29 November 14 at 19:39
LV 1 Blue Slime said:If they banned for it the top 100 GS on the site would look a lot different because a lot of them would be banned. Stallion has Dead Island and a few other stackables that require DLC. Smrnov and celtic have every version of Magna Carta 2 done, which requires no less than 3 separate accounts for buying DLC. I could go on.

I myself have a JP account and a UK account to get DLC for stackables, still waiting on that ban. People who say they got banned for it obviously did other stuff.
or three retail copies imported and three consoles. As far as I know, Stallion does this, not buying on other regions marketplaces.

HyruleBalverine said:I've posted a thread in the Xbox Ambassador forums asking for somebody from official support to give me an official answer to this.Hundreds of people have been asking for that answer since the banwave happened right after 7 games went free on non-enabled live marketplaces. You won't get one.

HyruleBalverine said: I'm curious as to the issue of getting access to games or DLC no longer available as well. Technically, you'd need access to another profile (or somebody local who's profile has the content). For instance, the DLC for Pinball FX is no longer available, so even if you wanted to buy it, the content is no longer available for purchase. Would getting and using this content be a violation, too?It wouldn't be a violation unless you share the content with someone who don't live with you - however, MS can't and won't take measures against this. Question is if you can trust another person with your account? ;)
Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 29 November 14 at 20:26
Twinkling; that's exactly the point. Lots of people were banned right after that happened (and as far as they know or will admit all they did was download those games.

Honestly, until we get an official answer, I just hope that this thread will serve as the place for discussion rather than it filling up other threads.
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 29 November 14 at 20:38
There's other threads about this issue already. TA and the mods here has a rule; keep threads on one topic and delete/avoid duplicates.

Anyway, we won't get any official answer, and this thread just serves to keep beating a dead horse.
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 29 November 14 at 21:20, Edited on 29 November 14 at 21:32 by HyruleBalverine
Then you don't need to post here, do you? If the mods think that this is a waste of space they can delete it. Otherwise, whenever this topic comes up around the forums (if I'm in that thread) I plan on directing people here. That way they can keep "beating a dead horse" here instead of in those threads, making those threads go off topic, which is exactly why I started this here in the Debating Chamber forum.
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 29 November 14 at 21:48
Oh, I am not saying this thread is a bad idea.
GMN
GMN
Posted on 29 November 14 at 22:07, Edited on 29 November 14 at 22:10 by GMN
Just for clarity , remember just before the launch of the xbox one when people were getting banned for downloading games from other regions for free, I had two slim's banned it wasn't for the act of downloading the free games it's how i used them afterwards.

The reason i'd download the games, sign into my other console and re-download so other account's on the console could use them too.

Remember you get 2 licenses one for the console (allowing other accounts to use it) and one for the account that downloads it so you can sign and use it anywhere, i wasn't signing into my account i was signing into other account's on the 2nd xbox

AKA 'Marketplace theft' and a valuable lesson learned some were lucky enough not lose account just console ban's some lost both some lost nothing.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 30 November 14 at 01:14, Edited on 30 November 14 at 03:28 by LV 1 Blue Slime
Twinkling82 said:or three retail copies imported and three consoles. As far as I know, Stallion does this, not buying on other regions marketplaces.In order to 100% every Magna Carta you need a US/PAL/JP console and a GT for each region to download the DLC as well. So they need both. Yet smrnov and others aren't banned.

HyruleBalverine said:Twinkling; that's exactly the point. Lots of people were banned right after that happened (and as far as they know or will admit all they did was download those games.Yes they were (possibly) banned when they took advantage of an exploit to download free games from a region that technically doesn't "exist" since it wasn't live enabled at the time. There is a gulf of difference between doing that and putting money on a Japanese gamertag to buy Japanese DLC. The line is wide and obvious, not sure why there's any confusion.
alisarmo
alisarmo
Posted on 19 November 18 at 17:38
Hi guys, two weeks ago i bought fifa 19 as a gift code from italy but for my causin who has his Xbox in iran.when i was buying the game Microsoft didn’t warn me if i can buy it or not for the mentioned region. But now he can’t download the game because of region difference problem. Anybody have faced with the same problem?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.