Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Ubisoft Closing Online Servers for Several Games

• MarcC29MarcC29318,402
  • Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:13, Edited on 05 August 14 at 06:31 by Bk LuCKY ChaRMS
    Anybody who wants to do avatar or powerup heroes msg me on TA
  • NorqueatszNorqueatsz144,687
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:16
    And just when I was thinking last week I should but a copy of avatar and finish that off. Ah well life goes on.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant874,791
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:17
    Why are the online achievements in Double Agent flagged as Online/Offline? System Link?
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • The Fury I84IThe Fury I84I1,650,587
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:17, Edited on 04 August 14 at 07:21 by The Fury I84I
    All MP achievements in Tom Clancy's EndWar are already discontinued for quite some time. It makes me wonder why they mention games that had closed servers for a long time already...
    Scratch that... as pointed out by an other user, only a part of the online features are already closed.

EDIT: LuckyConquerer2 said:Why are the online achievements in Double Agent flagged as Online/Offline? System Link?That's correct.

If co-op, for instance, were to be disabled then there would be several achievements that would become unobtainable. They would actually become Discontinued instead wink
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:22
    Thanks Fury.
  • misfit119misfit1191,075,990
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:24
    Someone was saying that Splinter Cell Double Agent will still be completable offline since the co-op stuff can be done solo. Can anyone confirm this? Then I just have to worry about Avatar.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo281,469
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:29
    None of the big ones so can understand Ubisofts decision on this one, although there are a lot of Tom Clancy gamers out there who will be a little startled. It's not a lot of notice.
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:30, Edited on 04 August 14 at 05:30 by LuckyKant
    misfit119 said:Someone was saying that Splinter Cell Double Agent will still be completable offline since the co-op stuff can be done solo. Can anyone confirm this? Then I just have to worry about Avatar.Apparently, it can be done via System Link.
  • ScuzzyBunnyScuzzyBunny1,215,366
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:35
    MugenKairo said:None of the big ones so can understand Ubisofts decision on this one, although there are a lot of Tom Clancy gamers out there who will be a little startled. It's not a lot of notice.Actually the post on the original Ubi site was from JAN.
    https://support.ubi.com/en-us/faq.aspx?platformid=52&pro...
    Look at me so I can finish!
  • DaOverUnderDaOverUnder1,691,687
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:37, Edited on 04 August 14 at 05:57 by DaOverUnder
    (THIS VERY POORLY EXPLAINS THE SITUATION. I ONLY POSTED THIS AS I COULD COPY AND PASTE IT FROM ANOTHER THREAD. (This was originally posted to my feed from my cell phone... So the wording is very poor) I wanted to get a post in to let people know what is going in and this was a quick and easy way to do it.

*CHECK MY COMMENTS DOWN BELOW FOR A BETTER ANALYSIS ON THE SITUATION!*

UBISOFT GAMES ARE NOT GOING DOWN!

http://goo.gl/RrKOBC

I figured it out. This was a typo. Every single game listed had a multiplayer feature *ALREADY REMOVED*, that link shows what the original list was. It was a list of games that had *MULTIPLAYER FEATURES* removed.

Not games that are going to be discontinued Don't believe me? Proof is in the pudding, Pure Football and Endwar were already shut down. You can't shut something that is shut down. America's Army as well as Double Agent and Shaun White snowboarding had there CLAN FEATURES removed. Avatar had the Redeem Code feature servers taken down. Ghost Recon had something removed as well that didn't affect the game at all (It even says so in both links). The other's I'm not sure about as I haven't checked.

Here's the deal, the games aren't even server based. The majority of the games *NOT ALREADY SHUT DOWN* are peer to peer. Host based. As in, there is no way they can be shut down. What happened is this... They made some sort of mistake and said they were shutting down the servers 3 days from now.

Think about it, look at the link above. That was Jul 3rd 2014. Now, I don't know about you, but they said these things were already shut down as of February 3rd 2014. (Which incidentally is the last game to have a feature removed as of Jul 3rd.) If they said they were already shut down 5 months ago... A month ago! How in the hell are they shutting them down now.

ONCE AGAIN PEER TO PEER GAMES CAN'T BE SHUT DOWN! THE MAJORITY OF THE GAMES LISTED ARE PEER TO PEER!
  • G0DLY 5NiPeRG0DLY 5NiPeR503,136
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:39
    Surprisingly don't have a single one of these games, looks like I'm safe! laugh
  • iXanoniXanon67,254
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:41
    Crap, time to get a move on with GRAW 2 then (just in case).. Wish I'd have known earlier!
  • Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:41
    TOM CLANCY's ENDWAR is NOT completely shut down! Only the Theater of War, which yes, is the majority of the multiplayer, but you can still get some multiplayer achievements in it. Just clarifying that because most people have the wrong idea.
  • misfit119misfit1191,075,990
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:42
    So wait, if what you're saying is true Best in Philly, the only thing that's going to be going away that hasn't already been taken is the uPlay stuff?
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:44, Edited on 04 August 14 at 05:52 by DaOverUnder
    ScuzzyBunny said:MugenKairo said:None of the big ones so can understand Ubisofts decision on this one, although there are a lot of Tom Clancy gamers out there who will be a little startled. It's not a lot of notice.Actually the post on the original Ubi site was from JAN.
    https://support.ubi.com/en-us/faq.aspx?platformid=52&pro...
    WRONG! As I posted above the original post was DIFFERENT than this one. The original post was just a list of games that were shut down as of February 3rd 2014. This is the same list of games.

HERE'S THE OLD LIST. YOU CAN CLEARLY READ THAT IT'S JUST A LIST OF GAMES THAT ALREADY HAD FEATURES REMOVED. THIS IS FROM A MONTH AGO!

SAME EXACT LIST!

*ALL THE GAMES IN THIS LIST WERE ALREADY SHUT DOWN THE BEST OF THE ABILITIES OF UBISOFT*

All this list ever was, and ever will be is games that had some section of the multiplayer removed.

Most of the games are peer to peer and can't be shut down.

Here's an example.

Splinter Cell double agent. The multiplayer is peer to peer. You don't connect to dedicated servers, you connect to other players that the Xbox Live service connects you too. If every game ran on servers you wouldn't be able to play games from bankrupt companies.

Most games are like that. When you match up with other players through xbox live, the XBL service makes one of the players the connection host, which essentially makes them a server (Though not a dedicated one), for the duration of the match.

Ubisoft has already shut down all the features it was within there ability to remove. As the clan stuff was the only part of the game on servers.

*ONCE AGAIN ALL THE GAMES IN THIS LIST WERE ALREADY SHUT DOWN THE BEST OF THE ABILITIES OF UBISOFT*

*UNLESS XBL IS SHUT DOWN PEER TO PEER GAMES CAN'T BE!*

The reason Splinter cell was on the list is because the clan feature was shut down.

Every game on that list had a feature shut down.

In fact Pure Football were entirely server based. There were no peer to peer functions. They had all multiplayer removed.

Guess what? They have them on this so called, "list of games shutting down". How in the flying fuck are you shutting down a game that was shut down a year ago?

They aren't this is, once again, a list of games shut down.

*THIS IS SIMPLY A TYPO POOR WORDING OR BOTH!*

My theory is this. They had a new game that was going to be shut down, and they meant to say that, "So and so game is going down on August 8th, also here is a list of games already shut down."

They forgot to mention that game so everyone thought the OLD LIST OF GAMES was the one being shut down.
  • MechaHertzMechaHertz1,354,221
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:44
    Does anyone know wheter or not America's Army: True Soldiers remaining achievements are peer to peer or if I should try to bag 'em instantly?
    Don't wanna sound like ALOT of other post regarding server closure,bur I was planning on doing these with two boxes on the next Free Live weekend.
    Love ponies, hates phonies
  • BROOKER 513BROOKER 513572,497
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:44
    Bad timing most of my games are in storage & its the long weekend. fugggg
    DEATH IS CERTAIN.
  • Flopsy86Flopsy86584,140
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:46
    Whether the GRAW2 achievements are affected or not, it's nice to see lots of sessions going up
    Making Easters happy since 1986.
    Posted on 04 August 14 at 05:46, Edited on 04 August 14 at 05:54 by DaOverUnder
    misfit119 said:So wait, if what you're saying is true Best in Philly, the only thing that's going to be going away that hasn't already been taken is the uPlay stuff?NOTHING IS GOING TO BE TAKEN AWAY. This is a list of games that already had features removed. Check the link I posted. It shows clearly that as of Jul 3rd (A month ago) this was a list of games with features removed.

They reposted the same list games that were shut down and the only thing they changed was the wording that preceded the list. The wording is done very, very poorly. I have no idea why this happened.

ALL I KNOW IS THAT THESE GAMES CANNOT BE SHUTDOWN. IT IS AN IMPOSSIBILITY.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet the Uplay will NOT BE REMOVED! AND THIS WAS SIMPLY A MISTAKE!

HERE'S THE LINK!

Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.